Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:01:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1121084 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2030 on: May 24, 2013, 01:25:29 PM

There's a wedding, then there's a feast.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2031 on: May 24, 2013, 01:28:54 PM

That's happening in episode 9. Episode 10's title is Mhysa,

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #2032 on: May 24, 2013, 01:59:14 PM

There's a wedding, then there's a feast.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2033 on: May 24, 2013, 02:16:37 PM

Episode 10 is going to end with .  That's the "oh shit" moment.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2034 on: May 24, 2013, 02:34:53 PM

I had rather hoped we were going to get...

But actually the last episode is called Myhsa, and the summary implies we don't get that after all, instead...

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:38:31 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2035 on: May 24, 2013, 05:37:52 PM

Yeah, the feast is most certainly being saved for season 4.

And ha, yeah, I hadn't thought about the ramifications of actually showing cold hands on screen.  Time to shit or get off the pot Martin (or he'll just be masked the entire fucking time and we never see anyways).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2036 on: May 24, 2013, 07:37:01 PM

And ha, yeah, I hadn't thought about the ramifications of actually showing cold hands on screen.  Time to shit or get off the pot Martin (or he'll just be masked the entire fucking time and we never see anyways).

I just assume he'd stay covered up.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #2037 on: May 24, 2013, 10:56:14 PM

I had rather hoped we were going to get...

But actually the last episode is called Myhsa, and the summary implies we don't get that after all, instead...

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2038 on: May 25, 2013, 01:04:23 AM

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2039 on: May 25, 2013, 01:56:09 AM

I just assume he'd stay covered up.

My suspicion is they won't feel the need to hide him, and that will confirm we haven't met him previously but not tell us who he actually is.

Bran not recognising Benjen is too much of a stretch for me.

If they include Bran telling the story of the Night's King, then I rather think that is likely a clue to cold hands identity.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #2040 on: May 25, 2013, 09:11:57 AM

Good points. I always have trouble wrapping my head around the huge gaps in the books release dates and the actual time sequence. That's a real problem when you started the series early.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:13:53 AM by Phred »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2041 on: May 26, 2013, 11:50:47 PM

I have finally caught up on this show, barring whatever was shown last night which I presume must have been epic.  There are a couple of huge events coming, so I can't wait to see which one it is.

All in all, I think the TV adaptation is better in most ways.  They seem to be doing a good job of solving most of the problems of the books, which makes me optimistic for future seasons.

One thing they have not improved?  Bran Fucking Stark.  I don't care about his arc in the books, and I find myself caring less in the show.  About the most interesting thing we ever see from the whole group traveling with Bran is when Hodor blankly stares at someone and says "hodor" to them.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #2042 on: May 27, 2013, 02:28:36 AM

I have finally caught up on this show, barring whatever was shown last night which I presume must have been epic.  There are a couple of huge events coming, so I can't wait to see which one it is.

All in all, I think the TV adaptation is better in most ways.  They seem to be doing a good job of solving most of the problems of the books, which makes me optimistic for future seasons.

One thing they have not improved?  Bran Fucking Stark.  I don't care about his arc in the books, and I find myself caring less in the show.  About the most interesting thing we ever see from the whole group traveling with Bran is when Hodor blankly stares at someone and says "hodor" to them.

To be fair, Hodor is awesome; he steals the spotlight with that one little word...

*Should be working*
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2043 on: May 27, 2013, 03:27:19 AM

Nothing was shown last night. They were doing that thing american shows do where there is a gap in the middle of a run for no discernable reason.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2044 on: May 27, 2013, 04:14:39 AM

Nothing was shown last night. They were doing that thing american shows do where there is a gap in the middle of a run for no discernable reason.

Yeah, this pissed me off.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2045 on: May 27, 2013, 04:44:38 AM

Memorial Day Weekend. It and Labor Day interrupt shows as people instead of watching may be out doing things, and they don't want 4.5 million viewers when they could get 5 million.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2046 on: May 27, 2013, 05:06:06 AM

Yep, the break was for memorial day.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2047 on: May 27, 2013, 07:28:48 AM

Yeah, this pissed me off.

Not as much as it pissed them off when their huge budget battle episode last season got much lower rating than it should have.

I am the .00000001428%
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #2048 on: May 27, 2013, 03:58:29 PM

+1 Pissed Off re: memorial weekend.

Edit: No disrespect intended to servicemen, just HBO.

*Should be working*
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2049 on: May 28, 2013, 09:54:09 AM

+1 Pissed Off re: memorial weekend.

Edit: No disrespect intended to servicemen, just HBO.

This. I was SO looking forward to this episode.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2050 on: May 28, 2013, 12:05:17 PM

I'm glad my DVR isn't broken.  I was worried.  Watched Uncanceled Development instead.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2051 on: June 02, 2013, 07:31:29 PM

So I guess Robb's child theory is dead as his wife was stabbed in the belly a ton of times.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2052 on: June 02, 2013, 07:32:18 PM

They did a really good job with this one. Colossal fake-out for anybody who hadn't read the books--they do so much to make you think things are turning out for the better, that Walder Frey is just a dirty old man but basically that everything has worked out.

I did have to remind myself that in the books, the Blackfish isn't at the Red Wedding, but it looks like he got out alive.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2053 on: June 02, 2013, 07:38:06 PM

So I guess Robb's child theory is dead as his wife was stabbed in the belly a ton of times.
Oh, wow. Thanks.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #2054 on: June 02, 2013, 07:44:56 PM

Looks like they're going to basically flex things a bit plotwise to keep the readers off balance, but still converge things in general. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2055 on: June 02, 2013, 07:47:26 PM

Oh, wow. Thanks.

Show just aired and you read the thread without watching it?

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2056 on: June 02, 2013, 10:20:46 PM

Yea, and that wasn't snark. I asked Cheddar about the episode in the nonreaders thread.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #2057 on: June 03, 2013, 06:22:50 AM

Huffington post article this morning "WTF GAME OF THRONES" and I laughed.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #2058 on: June 03, 2013, 06:26:19 AM

Holy fuck - even knowing what happens that still destroyed me. That was a crushing episode, which is as much praise as I can give it. That chapter was the only one I can ever remember reading where I just set my book down and walked away and the show managed to trump that.

That was extremely well done and that episode will be referenced in pop culture for years on end. It was fun watching with my wife and the moment she realized things were not what they seemed. When the band starting playing "Rains of Castamere" she started to get suspicious and when the Hound and Arya were turned back she just kept saying "What's going on? What's about to happen?".

Having said that, I would totally watch "The Adventures of Arya and the Hound".

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2059 on: June 03, 2013, 07:36:17 AM

Having said that, I would totally watch "The Adventures of Arya and the Hound".

Agreed.

I really loved the part where she calmly told him she was going to stick a sword in his face.  Because he actually looked scared.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2060 on: June 03, 2013, 07:37:14 AM

If they start off next week with the wolf's head on Robb's body while cleaning up the massacre then it will be perfect. That scene was just epic and I got goosebumps when they started playing the Raynes of Castamere. It was just more brutal on TV than in the book. From Cat slitting the wife's throat, so the guy just casually cutting hers and walking away then.. silence.

Silence.

It's how Sapranos should of ended.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2061 on: June 03, 2013, 08:15:36 AM

I think people will talk about the wolf head thing but they won't actually show it, like in the book.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2062 on: June 03, 2013, 08:25:58 AM

My wife didn't notice the Rains of Castamere exactly but she did pick up that something was a little off. Then we were off to the races.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2063 on: June 03, 2013, 08:37:49 AM

I think the reason it was so emotionally impacting for me (and I have read the books multiple times) was the inclusion of Robb's wife and unborn child. Robb having to watch them die as he dies himself was horrifying. And the 'Mother?' to Catelyn just before the very end. Wow. Kudos to everyone involved- well written/adapted/executed. My wife couldn't sleep last night after we watched it (she hadn't read the books and I made her stay up late and watch it after the kids went down so she wouldn't get spoiled at work today).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2064 on: June 03, 2013, 09:29:43 AM

Seeing it on the screen was even more brutal than it was in the books but I'm glad I read the book before seeing that scene. I remember after reading that scene I was in a funk for like a week afterwards because the whole thing was SO deflating. Despite his oathbreaking, Robb was one of the most sympathetic "hero" characters in the book up until that point then... SLIT. That's what good writing is supposed to do, elicit an emotional response and it did. For whatever else his flaws are, Martin wrote that well. The silence on the credits was so perfect too - I imagine living rooms across the country being silent because everyone who hadn't read the books were still holding their breath.

Also, I'd totally watch Arya and the Hound. Those two work well together.

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: