Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 11:39:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724855 times)
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #1015 on: November 26, 2011, 07:01:48 PM

I drove all three, the Prowler is still the best, even if we did have to have 3 people to man it.  The Vanguard was 2nd, and that damn Magrider was a way distant 3rd, since I had to re-learn how to drive it, and had to treat it basically like a light tank.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1016 on: November 27, 2011, 11:20:28 AM

I ran out of space on my reaver for magrider kill signs. Now go back to your purple hovershits and your lasher spam, the grown ups are talking.

I loved sniping reavers with the Magrider cannon. All it took was a driver that could keep it level while driving. So many dead, or retreating, reavers.

Try that with a Vanguard or Prowler.....

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #1017 on: November 27, 2011, 11:51:01 AM

Prowler crews were often under staffed, with only 2 people they couldn't man the 20mm cannon.  Both the NC and Vanu had it easier to make effective use of the tanks.  For a decent fire team we were always needing more players, the tank took 3 instead of 2, the pickup truck took 3 instead of 2, the Raider (troop transport) took 5 instead of 3, but I would find a lot of time we would ride into battle under crewed and pay for it big time.  Prowler crews could defend against air attacks if we had enough people...then again that was always the problem with pick up TR crews.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1018 on: November 27, 2011, 05:38:56 PM

The problem was the TR was filled with solo MCG fanbouys who wouldn't get in the tank.  If the NC had the Prowler, it would have filled more easily.

I have never played WoW.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #1019 on: November 27, 2011, 07:48:22 PM

The Magrider and Thresher were the two best land vehicles, hands down.  With experienced drivers both of them were nigh untouchable by heavy weapons and their guns were accurate enough to let even mediocre gunners perform okay.  My roommate once pinned down an entire NC tower in just one Thresher.  After trying and failing to break out for about half an hour, they eventually bailed when the Vanu took the base.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1020 on: November 27, 2011, 08:03:25 PM

I miss strafing through woods and escaping massive firepower with a sliver of armor left. A good run was when you ran out of repair juice/ammo :) We had a column of badass mag drivers along with voice comms and the ability to call in air strikes was a pretty awesome feeling. Something to be said for organized raids in that game, was a shit ton of fun. Hope some of the Vanu guys around here might be down to join my old outfit...

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1021 on: November 28, 2011, 04:47:55 AM

Nothing topped the magrider pre-mowing nerf on an infantry assault. Hands down, the best battle field sweeper vehicle. And this is coming from a TR. Of course, I was a TR cloaker back then, with a tank driver cert. Oh the hilarity of jacking vehicles.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1022 on: November 28, 2011, 06:42:28 AM

Me and my friends were marauder junkies. We got really good at taking out BFR's and other tanks. As well as decimating lines of troops. The lightning "wolf pack" was also really effective.

I miss strafing through woods and escaping massive firepower with a sliver of armor left. A good run was when you ran out of repair juice/ammo :)

Affirmative.

Sadly, I have a felling this wont happen anymore under the new damage models. We shall see though.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1023 on: November 28, 2011, 07:16:58 AM

Ah, lightning raids.... We had twenty some guys in Lightnings and it was fun as hell, cept a lot of guys weren't that good in them and we got picked apart. My favorite was getting on a hill and lobbing death on defenders walkways. If you switched to 3rd person, you could do it without giving line of site for the striker fags (though phoenix fags would get you).

Terracotta Army

Reply #1024 on: November 28, 2011, 08:24:45 AM

Ah, lightning raids.... We had twenty some guys in Lightnings and it was fun as hell, cept a lot of guys weren't that good in them and we got picked apart. My favorite was getting on a hill and lobbing death on defenders walkways. If you switched to 3rd person, you could do it without giving line of site for the striker fags (though phoenix fags would get you).

I started fucking around with boomers late in my cloaking career... (like month 2)

I loved finding a lightning lobbing courtyards.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
damijin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1025 on: November 28, 2011, 09:24:19 AM

New MAX units look crazy. The NC one looks kinda bulky and unattractive to me though, but Vanu looks insane.

Vanu MAX Concept Art

Bunch of screenshots on the gallery from that Massively interview.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1026 on: November 28, 2011, 01:08:32 PM

The NC one looks like someone strapped a bunch of armour plate and guns into an Aliens-style industrial loader. Which, to be fair, is probably the point.
Vanu looks like Guyver in the style of Evangelion Unit-01 (or vice-versa) which, again, is probably what they were aiming for.  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1027 on: November 29, 2011, 04:05:46 AM

Yeah, I was one of those phoenix fags. I spent weeks practicing with those goddamn things so I could shoot people around corners and behind barriers. Rexo with sniper rifle and phoenix was one of my favorite load outs.

Edit: Holy shit, those reavers look badass.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:09:42 AM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #1028 on: November 29, 2011, 07:51:36 AM

The Magrider and Thresher were the two best land vehicles, hands down.  With experienced drivers both of them were nigh untouchable by heavy weapons and their guns were accurate enough to let even mediocre gunners perform okay.  My roommate once pinned down an entire NC tower in just one Thresher.  After trying and failing to break out for about half an hour, they eventually bailed when the Vanu took the base.

The magrider main gun was hilarious in the hands of a good gunner. Me and my friend would often do tank runs both of us had all the driving skills and combat engineering so we would alternate driver/gunner positions. The magrider main gun was amazingly a good anti aircraft weapon. It did not have a ton of elevation but if you were coming into a fight I often sniped 2 or 3 planes on the way in. It had almost no drop and VERY fast shot speed made plinking mossies and reavers pretty easy. With a driver good at strafing the magrider was incredibly hard to hit by the weapons needed to take one out and you could retreat full speed across water where few other forces could follow.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1029 on: November 29, 2011, 08:57:38 AM

But the single best kill in PS was a Magrider fleeing across the water. Watched a few of those.  It didn't happen often but the Teamspeak channel always filled with cheers when it did.

I have never played WoW.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1030 on: November 30, 2011, 11:38:37 AM

With a driver good at strafing the magrider was incredibly hard to hit by the weapons needed to take one out and you could retreat full speed across water where few other forces could follow.

It was actually slightly slower on water, IIRC. Sometimes it was a deathtrap when too many reavers were swarming. Better to strafe through the woods.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1031 on: November 30, 2011, 11:57:28 AM

With a driver good at strafing the magrider was incredibly hard to hit by the weapons needed to take one out and you could retreat full speed across water where few other forces could follow.

It was actually slightly slower on water, IIRC. Sometimes it was a deathtrap when too many reavers were swarming. Better to strafe through the woods.

Just not near a tower or a base. Once I recerted out of the nekkid suit, I ran a minelayer loadout and putting them in a heavy tree area was a guaranteed few vehicle kills. Bonus points if I was on the other side of the continent.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

And yes, all vanu vehicles slowed on the water, but they were still strafing bastards.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1032 on: November 30, 2011, 12:42:45 PM

The real baller mag drivers (me) knew how to use hills and strafe along the the far side of them, giving almost no target for air or land vehicles. I remember watching Vanguard explosions all around, reaver hell raining down, and me smoking a cig telling the gunner "No prob I got this." This was all true until you fucked up, or you ran out of cover.....

I want to resub....UGH. Give us a free re-trial !!!

Terracotta Army

Reply #1033 on: November 30, 2011, 12:52:05 PM

The real baller mag drivers (me) knew how to use hills and strafe along the the far side of them, giving almost no target for air or land vehicles. I remember watching Vanguard explosions all around, reaver hell raining down, and me smoking a cig telling the gunner "No prob I got this." This was all true until you fucked up, or you ran out of cover.....

I want to resub....UGH. Give us a free re-trial !!!

Just say no. It's like going back to the fraternity house for me. The walls and floors are about the only things that are still there. Time to move on.

Brennik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1034 on: December 21, 2011, 11:49:38 PM

Beta signup is open.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1035 on: December 22, 2011, 07:56:17 AM

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1036 on: December 22, 2011, 08:01:25 AM

Done and done. Thanks for the heads up.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1037 on: December 22, 2011, 08:10:00 AM

I haven't signed up for an MMO beta in 4 years.

I just signed up for this one.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1038 on: December 22, 2011, 08:59:17 AM

Signed up.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1039 on: December 22, 2011, 09:18:53 AM

*Squee*

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1040 on: December 22, 2011, 10:06:28 AM

Heh yeah, this is the first beta since Shadowbane that I have signed up for.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1041 on: December 22, 2011, 11:37:08 AM

Heh yeah, this is the first beta since Shadowbane that I have signed up for.

So it will be your fault when PS2.exe kills the game!

e- so I signed up and see I have 100 Station bucks or whatever. What is that worth?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:41:35 AM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1042 on: December 22, 2011, 01:45:00 PM

A dollar.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1043 on: January 05, 2012, 10:18:51 AM

Bits of ingame footage. It looks surprisingly pretty. At least with only a handful of combatants on screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rUeRQSRMiFc

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1044 on: January 05, 2012, 10:52:22 AM

Any idea on who this secondary company, the9, is? What's their involvement?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1045 on: January 05, 2012, 11:14:43 AM

Chinese distributor I believe.

EDIT: That looks...Very Battlefield like......
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:20:26 AM by Mrbloodworth »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1046 on: January 05, 2012, 11:51:06 AM

PRETTY.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1047 on: January 05, 2012, 12:30:19 PM

The machine gun shots looked more precise than the old accuracy model.

I have never played WoW.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1048 on: January 05, 2012, 12:31:09 PM

Yeah engine looking solid, probably still not as sophisticated as BF3 but looks to be competitive enough to not be a weak point. So now the key will be the depth of MMO features, like outfit depth, and the sophistication of the resource-economy and its impact on strategic logistics, or even intra-faction trade. So far haven't seen much in way of details on this kind of stuff.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #1049 on: January 05, 2012, 11:17:53 PM

Any idea on who this secondary company, the9, is? What's their involvement?

They used to run World of Warcraft in China.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: