Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:17:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 635893 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1995 on: November 24, 2015, 02:16:11 PM

I just can't believe Glenn is dead.  It's so shocking.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1996 on: November 24, 2015, 02:31:42 PM

My guess is Clara and the Doctor have a heart to heart where she admits that she's wanted to top herself since Danny Pink died and he convinces her that life is worth living.

Maybe Arya Stark is meant to be a lesson in how death is part of life and eternal life is actually kind of shitty. Or something.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1997 on: November 25, 2015, 07:43:53 AM

I just can't believe Glenn is dead.  It's so shocking.

Yeah, not buying it for one minute. I kept waiting for the "OH BUT HERE'S MY CLEVER WAY OF BEING CLEVER" moment. Guess I have to wait until next week.

I really think Maisie Williams has been utterly wasted this season. Not to mention the whole idea of the alien refuge alley is silly when you start putting fucking Cybermen in it.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1998 on: November 25, 2015, 09:20:29 AM

Yeah, 'Does a Cyberman fear a merciful death?' Well no. I'm pretty sure they don't fear death all that much at all. I am not sure how she's meant to keep order in that street.

They'd been setting Clara up for a while with her sudden pushiness this season and really ramped it up at the beginning of this episode. I wasn't expecting anything so soon but yeah, I suspect we're going to have 'I'm really clever look at me being clever with wearable technology, part of my super plan all along but I didn't tell anyone because it was too clever'.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1999 on: November 25, 2015, 03:04:26 PM

To be utterly fair here (and I'm gritting my fucking teeth doing it), humanised cybermen have been done in EVERY episode that has featured them since they reappeared with DT.  So, it's not actually a stretch.

Do I fucking hate the idea of Rose's Cybermum and fucking queen and country cyberpatriot and danny fucking pink cyberboyfriend and fucking Lethbridge cyberbrig ?

Yes, I fucking hate the idea.  But the precedent is THERE.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2000 on: November 25, 2015, 05:05:49 PM

Overall I liked this episode.  I'm not sure they bring Clara back after this for more than an episode because whatever this show gets wrong, once they have those tear filled goodbyes they don't usually retcon(lol) them.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2001 on: November 26, 2015, 02:32:23 AM

She's contracted for the Christmas one, no ?

So....

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2002 on: November 26, 2015, 04:17:38 AM

She's contracted for the Christmas one, no ?

So....

Well like I said "for more than an episode" as in they bring out some kind of ghost clara for a final goodbye.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2003 on: November 26, 2015, 04:40:40 AM

I just seem to remember this shite last time too at which point, they did the Christmas episode and it was 'Surprise, not dead' to the surprise of...no-one with an IQ higher than an eggplant.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2004 on: November 26, 2015, 05:11:01 AM

I just seem to remember this shite last time too at which point, they did the Christmas episode and it was 'Surprise, not dead' to the surprise of...no-one with an IQ higher than an eggplant.

Well to be fair she is confirmed to be leaving the show, so actually taking her deaths seriously is not so far fetched this time.

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2005 on: November 26, 2015, 06:58:32 AM

I did like the Torchwood reference with the retcon. The rest was passable. But yeah, Clara will be back. Probably a lot and whenever they need her.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2006 on: November 29, 2015, 04:57:38 AM

There were the usual Moffat plotholes (most of them easily filled with a line of dialog) and I didn't like the "mind palace" bits but otherwise I thought Part 1 of the finale was pretty great. Capaldi is in many ways my favorite Doctor--he just hasn't had episodes fully worthy of his skills. This one gave him something to work with.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #2007 on: November 29, 2015, 07:06:59 AM

I enjoyed the episode, but I find that I can't always hear the dialogue over the music.  Must be getting old. 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2008 on: November 29, 2015, 07:56:21 AM

No, I agree--there's something about the soundmixing on BBC America that's very off this season.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2009 on: November 29, 2015, 11:00:18 AM

I loved the episode even guessing the twist fairly early on.  I like the little mind tardis bits because they felt more like the actor in a play addressing the audience than the gimmicky sherlock stuff.  Capaldi is just great.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2010 on: November 29, 2015, 11:53:27 AM

Capaldi was fantastic, but yeah that "twist" was telegraphed a mile away.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2011 on: November 29, 2015, 12:28:38 PM

More fairy tale bullshit.  Obvious, clichéd, trite and plotholed bullshit.  Moffat, in other words.  Once again, made worse by the fact that it would probably be a good episode of anything else but Dr Who.  He really, really, really doesn't want to write for this show.  Also, he's never read a Gaiman story that he hasn't wanted to nick.

Also, ten second trailer makes next episode just as obvious and bullshit.  But we'll see.

Capaldi is utterly fantastic though.  Oh for a decent script.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2012 on: November 29, 2015, 07:26:46 PM

I think maybe you're a bit too Captain Ahab on the guy, much as I agree generally that he's mismanaged the overall show.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2013 on: November 29, 2015, 10:37:59 PM

I get that people may want it more scifi than the scifi-fantasy it's become but let's be honest it's been that since halfway through doc 9.  At this point you can either accept the fantastical elements or not but they are likely here to stay.  That said there are still some shit episodes that rely too much on fairy dust but that's a problem with all fantasy or super scifi, there's always the temptation to say "a wizard did it".

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2014 on: November 30, 2015, 04:28:23 AM

I think maybe you're a bit too Captain Ahab on the guy, much as I agree generally that he's mismanaged the overall show.

Not really.  I'm still waiting on him actually writing a good original one.  I'll give credit when it happens.  Sure, I loved Girl in the Fireplace because the 'fantasy' bits were kinda new and worked in the context ;  I wouldn't let them pass NOW of course, because he's gone back to the well sooooo many times.  Blink didn't require any of that and worked great and was brilliant as long as you accepted the Monster Power, which was fine to my mind.  But it's just the same thing over and over again - he's not met a story he won't steal from somewhere else (I mean, honestly, this latest one was nicked from so many other places I lost count.  He also just pulls things out of his ass for the most part and, this is the annoying bit, where he doesn't need to.  It's fine to mismanage the show, it's fine to treat it with contempt (honestly, it is), but don't do that and then have the conceit to try and write for it.

You'll note that I won't savage his writing for Coupling or Press Gang or even Sherlock (though some of his stuff leaks through oddly in Sherlock) ;  It's just that he's entirely unsuited to writing for this show anymore and should really, please God, let other chaps have a honest to God try without his interference.

But yes, I'm like a Bob with a Bone, so I'll forbear to comment for a while.  It's never interesting hearing the same shit over and over and, frankly, I've had this rant almost weekly.

(Just such a shame.  I've met Capaldi.  I love Capaldi.  Give him some more Tom Baker Scripts and let him SHINE.)

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2015 on: November 30, 2015, 07:27:38 AM

I generally agree by the by that a showrunner should not write for their own show unless it's insanely personal, say, something like a Dennis Potter production. The problem really is that nobody can tell you what's wrong with your own scripts, and you're too inclined to staff up with people who write and think like you as well. Stracynzski  is another example of that--the idea for Babylon 5 was good, a lot of the character arcs were good, but when the show's plotting and dialogue stunk (which was somewhat often over five seasons) it was almost 95% because JMS liked the smell of his own shit too much and there was nobody to tell him otherwise.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2016 on: November 30, 2015, 07:57:50 AM

I get that people may want it more scifi than the scifi-fantasy it's become but let's be honest it's been that since halfway through doc 9.  At this point you can either accept the fantastical elements or not but they are likely here to stay.  That said there are still some shit episodes that rely too much on fairy dust but that's a problem with all fantasy or super scifi, there's always the temptation to say "a wizard did it".

No, it's NOT all fantasy or sci-fi, it's BAD fantasy or sci-fi. And fairy dust isn't so much the problem with Moffat's Doctor Who stories, it's that all too often the stories just don't goddamn make sense. They fail at their own internal logic and all too often they contradict the show's mythology, history and internal logic from episode to episode. Most of the CONCEPTS that have been put forth since Moffat took over haven't been bad at the conceptual level per se. Some have been stupid but for the most part, I don't think there's any that were conceptually unworkable. But the details get stupid and the resolutions are usually terrible and rely way too much on "just because" as opposed to making any sense based on what we've seen out of the characters and situations.

Moffat writes great characters, though sometimes he relies a little too much on wittiness as character building. But when it comes to meshing those characters with a world that is believable (despite the fantastical elements), he's shit.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2017 on: November 30, 2015, 08:34:46 AM

It's a "problem" with all scifi and fantasy that they struggle with, good ones will not take the easy route but the possibility is always there.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2018 on: December 01, 2015, 04:54:23 AM

So honestly the last episode left me with a lot of questions, some of which are I think intentionally unclear elements.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2019 on: December 01, 2015, 05:29:15 AM

Nope.  Can't help yourself, can you Ironwood ?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:37:56 AM by Ironwood »

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2020 on: December 01, 2015, 06:43:05 AM

The hybrid is 'me'

Not the doctor.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2021 on: December 01, 2015, 08:57:21 AM

The whole hybrid and construction of the confession thing made no sense whatsoever especoailly if the Time Lords made it. So... Moffat?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2022 on: December 01, 2015, 10:25:28 AM

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:56:28 AM by Khaldun »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2023 on: December 01, 2015, 10:37:11 AM

And you made me edit all those fucking spoilers, you bastards.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2024 on: December 01, 2015, 10:41:05 AM

I mean it's a misdirection sure but she even shows up in the teaser for the next episode so I doubt they are gonna try and string people along for more than a couple minutes.  My two cent idea on the whole prophecy nonsense is that "the hybrid will stand over the ruins of gallfrey" is just going to mean that 'Me' outlives basically everything including the time lords, not necessarily conquers them.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2025 on: December 01, 2015, 10:55:53 AM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2026 on: December 01, 2015, 10:59:54 AM

No, it's in his pocket.

IN HIS POCKET PRECIOUS.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2027 on: December 01, 2015, 11:44:08 AM

My DVR cut off the last second so I missed the preview for next week. And yes, Gallifrey is RIGHT FUCKING THERE.

I mean, one thing Moffat is not is subtle.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2028 on: December 01, 2015, 11:49:14 AM

No, no, I mean that it's not clear if time is passing for Gallifrey any longer--if it exists in regular time and space, or in some sort of pocket dimension. It's very clear that next week's episode takes place on Gallifrey.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2029 on: December 01, 2015, 11:51:49 AM

Well, based on the previous discussion of the painting thing in that War Doctor thingie with John Hurt, I think it's outside time and space - while being in his pocket. Hence the ability for him to live 2 billion fucking years or some shit and not have to regenerate, or any of the shit in the castle degrading or the closed energy loop or whatever. Of course, Moffat so anything that was said was probably forgotten long ago.

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: