Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 11:38:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1207611 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3640 on: October 15, 2015, 01:29:11 PM

-Is it mobo? If it is what the fuck is broken exactly? I'm using Z97-A/USB 3.1's AVI port with the cpu's Intel® HD Graphics 4600. This feels like where I am most likely to fuck up as almost every machine I've made or used ever uses a discrete card.

What should I test/try next?

Can you plug into a different display port on the mobo? That one could be faulty.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 01:30:55 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3641 on: October 15, 2015, 01:39:36 PM

Do you see the lights on the motherboard and are the MB connector fans all spinning when there's no display output?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3642 on: October 15, 2015, 02:17:43 PM

Did you check the BIOS to make sure on-board video or either disabled or set to secondary?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3643 on: October 15, 2015, 02:19:31 PM

He's trying to use the on-board video.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3644 on: October 15, 2015, 03:51:28 PM

-Is it mobo? If it is what the fuck is broken exactly? I'm using Z97-A/USB 3.1's AVI port with the cpu's Intel® HD Graphics 4600. This feels like where I am most likely to fuck up as almost every machine I've made or used ever uses a discrete card.

What should I test/try next?

Can you plug into a different display port on the mobo? That one could be faulty.

Did you check the BIOS to make sure on-board video or either disabled or set to secondary?

I'm using the on-board video using the only DVI to DVI available. I'll take a look at the BIOS and see if there is any on-board settings to look at but again the mystery is why does it only give a display signal some of the time.

Do you see the lights on the motherboard and are the MB connector fans all spinning when there's no display output?

Yes the fans are spinning, the mobo lights up correctly and I have power to the kb and can turn on capslock/numlock lights. So it looks like it is making some progress but I'm not getting any display. However come to think of it I've never gotten the windows startup sound to play from behind the black screen, I'll see if I can.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3645 on: October 15, 2015, 03:53:13 PM

I'm using the on-board video using the only DVI to DVI available. I'll take a look at the BIOS and see if there is any on-board settings to look at but again the mystery is why does it only give a display signal some of the time.

If there's an HDMI out or some other output type, it would be worth it to plug that into another monitor to see if it behaves the same. If it does there are potentially serious issues afoot. If it behaves fine then it's likely an issue with just the DVI output (which may or may not be OK to live with).

- Viin
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3646 on: October 15, 2015, 04:18:56 PM

Yes the fans are spinning, the mobo lights up correctly and I have power to the kb and can turn on capslock/numlock lights. So it looks like it is making some progress but I'm not getting any display. However come to think of it I've never gotten the windows startup sound to play from behind the black screen, I'll see if I can.
At this point I would suspect a driver issue. If you mash the F8 key to boot into the boot menu and start up in safe mode (assuming you can see the selections) can you consistently get Windows to display the desktop?
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #3647 on: October 15, 2015, 04:32:21 PM

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3648 on: October 15, 2015, 04:57:06 PM

If the motherboard is new, Windows 7's generic graphics drivers might not be fully compatible with it.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3649 on: October 16, 2015, 08:54:43 AM

At this point I would suspect a driver issue. If you mash the F8 key to boot into the boot menu and start up in safe mode (assuming you can see the selections) can you consistently get Windows to display the desktop?

Just apropos of nothing, if you are running Windows 8-10, safe mode can't be accessed via F8 anymore. Shift-restart is the easiest way, assuming you can get to the desktop. http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3650 on: October 16, 2015, 12:28:18 PM

If there's an HDMI out or some other output type, it would be worth it to plug that into another monitor to see if it behaves the same. If it does there are potentially serious issues afoot. If it behaves fine then it's likely an issue with just the DVI output (which may or may not be OK to live with).

This looks like the winner. I need to test a bit more and also to make sure that the DVI isn't just being fucked over by some kind of missing driver / driver failure but using a VGA to VGA seems to have 100% success rate of displaying bios/safe mode/normal desktop.

You guys are the best, many thanks.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3651 on: November 04, 2015, 01:12:22 PM

I want (possibly need) to do low-level PE work on linux lvm and the dumb-ass shit I am getting via google isn't helping.  Does anyone know of anyplace to get deep info on linux lvm, or can confirm that it indeed does not exist?  Also I specifically this minute could do with figuring out why I get range errors when trying to use pvmove to shuffle PE around.  The man page is not helping at all, and neither is google.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #3652 on: November 09, 2015, 09:54:14 PM

Stupid question was here. Meant modem. Answer is no.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:08:24 PM by schild »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3653 on: November 10, 2015, 12:56:40 PM

That isn't even a question, is it?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3654 on: November 15, 2015, 01:23:04 PM

I'd like advice on buying or building a proxy behind my Comcast cable modem.  I don't have enough confidence with Comcast to leave their wireless router as is without extra security to things like a sharred Time Capsule.

Any advice?  I'm not sure what to trust on the market.  Thank ye.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3655 on: November 15, 2015, 03:20:08 PM

I am confused. Do you not have a router behind the cable modem?

Also, for 70 bucks you can buy a compatible cable modem that does not have their wireless bullshit in it and save yourself the 7 (or is it now 8?) bucks a month for modem rental.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #3656 on: November 15, 2015, 06:31:09 PM

We're using their wireless router built into the modem.  Bad idea?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #3657 on: November 15, 2015, 06:45:30 PM

Yes. At best, it won't be very good at maintaining the network compared to a dedicated access point. The one I got from Time Warner, I could transfer between computers on my home network at no better than 10-15 megabits/second (between 1 and 2 megabytes) over a nominally 802.11n network that should have been capable of at least 10 times that much. Even between two computers hardwired (ethernet) to the nominal gigabit ports were lucky to get an actual 10 megabytes per second.

I put everything on a TrendNet gigabit unmanaged switch (16 ports and enough internal bandwidth to serve them all at top speed) and a dedicated TP-Link Archer C7 for the wifi, cost about $200 total. But even a $50 dedicated wifi access point would outperform the one built into the modem.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3658 on: November 15, 2015, 07:46:00 PM

If you are concerned about security, very much so.

I don't have any specific recommendations for wireless routers at this point as my five year old Cisco/linksys still does what I need, but for Comcast compatible cable modems, the surfboard SB6121 is great.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #3659 on: November 16, 2015, 11:51:31 AM

The Archer C7 I am using for an access point is a full fledged gateway router. I had to reconfigure it to be only an access point because it was breaking the set tops in the new house, but that was because AT&T was doing something weird, it should have been compatible.

The C7 by itself is more than adequate for the typical residential setup, with lots of wifi bandwidth (up to 1.75 gigabit) and support for up to 4 SSID's (which can all use different channels), I added the switch because the house had ethernet pre-wired and I wanted to connect every port so I wouldn't have to mess with patch cables every time someone wanted to hook something new up (it's my ex-wife's place, I visit my daughter there regularly but I am not always around to tend the network).

I set up one SSID for B/G, for the tablets (and all the other bits and bobs with built in wifi), another for N (so the systems that could do that wouldn't have to share bandwidth all the other crap), and another for AC (which only my laptop can use right now). It's covering a huge house, 3 floors and about 4000 square feet, from one spot (although I am not sure how the AC would reach).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3660 on: November 16, 2015, 01:57:58 PM

I'd like advice on buying or building a proxy behind my Comcast cable modem.  I don't have enough confidence with Comcast to leave their wireless router as is without extra security to things like a sharred Time Capsule.

Any advice?  I'm not sure what to trust on the market.  Thank ye.
Do you have phone line connected through your cable modem or just Internet? You can get your own cable modem, though if yours has phone those are harder to find, or you can get a separate wireless router as other people have suggested and use that instead. BTW you can turn off the "public" Wi-Fi access point thingy on your Comcast provided modem (assuming it's a newer one with that feature) through the Web site -- you can't do it in the admin UI for the modem itself.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3661 on: November 16, 2015, 02:45:37 PM

Is there a browser that's NOT a complete crashy POS??

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3662 on: November 16, 2015, 04:41:07 PM

Do you have phone line connected through your cable modem or just Internet? You can get your own cable modem, though if yours has phone those are harder to find, or you can get a separate wireless router as other people have suggested and use that instead.
Was just going to suggest this. When I cut my (cable-based) landline phone, I ditched the TW-supplied modem (and monthly fee) for a Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 (now Arris, I believe). Bumped my max Steam download speeds from 1.2 to 2.1 (over my ASUS WIFI router). Paid for itself years ago, one of the best tech purchases I've made.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3663 on: November 16, 2015, 04:43:25 PM

Is there a browser that's NOT a complete crashy POS??
Opera? why so serious?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3664 on: November 17, 2015, 06:03:44 AM

I haven't even used Opera so no idea.  Chrome works OK with 16GB RAM.  Godspeed.

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #3665 on: November 19, 2015, 08:28:15 PM

Thanks guys.  I will start researching reliable, secure routers once more.  Hit me with any other recommendations.  (Yes, we also use the cable modem for phone.  I gave up on wifi routers when the cable box's seemed more consistent than the DLink we had.  Wifi routers constantly seem to have their firmware going wonky or just going stale).
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3666 on: November 19, 2015, 08:46:08 PM

You had a D-Link...reliable and secure are two words I have real trouble putting on items produced by them.  ACK!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3667 on: November 20, 2015, 07:58:43 AM

I have a blanket recommendation to install a 3rd-party router software (dd-wrt for example) on anything that will take it.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3668 on: November 22, 2015, 10:19:54 PM

I have a blanket recommendation to install a 3rd-party router software (dd-wrt for example) on anything that will take it.

How much config is involved in putting dd-wrt on a router?  Do you just flash it and then let it rip or is there more than the usual amount of config involved when compared to setting up a store bought router?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3669 on: November 23, 2015, 10:32:08 AM

My experience is that it does work out of the gate, but you can do a lot of things with it if you want.  More than typical firmwares.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3670 on: November 23, 2015, 05:58:02 PM

Yeah, I haven't used it, but in essence you've got a stripped down Linux box running on your router, it's still going to be limited by the physical hardware but it's going to be inherently more flexible than the original system. You might have to turn off the FTP server to free up ram and cycles for the VPN host, or some such, but you get the options that are normally reserved for the 'business grade' versions of the system.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #3671 on: December 04, 2015, 01:07:13 PM

Quick question on current generation Xbox One's and controllers, do they still need the converter to take a headset with a 3.5mm jack to work? Or can you plug directly into controller now? Seems to be some confusion on this issue.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3672 on: December 06, 2015, 10:56:37 AM

My dual monitor setup seems to have crapped out.  Booted up today and my main monitor was blank.  Swapped the DVI inputs and it came back but the other one is now blank.  I assume something has gone bad on my video card, but is there any other explanation for such a circumstance?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3673 on: December 06, 2015, 11:08:46 AM

Did you check the Display control panel to make sure multiple displays is still configured? Did you try different video cables?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3674 on: December 06, 2015, 04:42:38 PM

Yes on the first.

I doubt it is cables as I just swapped the two cables on the DVI ports and the originally dark one came on.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: