Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:03:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gaming Tattoos 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gaming Tattoos  (Read 170699 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: June 01, 2007, 11:09:01 AM

This talk of people complaining that tattoos are just hip and trendy and soon will no longer be is BS. It's about decorating yourself with designs that appeal to you in the same way you'd dress yourself with clothes or makeup, or marking yourself with something of significance to you for personal/emotional/spiritual reasons: important time in your life, lesson you learned, person you love(d), etc. It might just be some stupid fad to some people, but it's so much more to so many others.

This year I'm celebrating a half-century on this planet.  I cannot imagine being happy sporting any tattoo I would have picked out 3 decades ago, 2 decades ago, or even 1 decade ago.  It's not that I don't like who I was, I do; but that's not who I am now.

I mean, I fucking hate the goddamned dishes I picked out 15 years ago and cannot wait until enough break that I can buy new ones.  I hate the colors I picked out for my living room a mere 9 years ago, and want to repaint.

If I had a tat, I'd try to enjoy it somehow because it'd be like a scar - old, familiar and I'm stuck with it.  But voluntarily choose to endure a painful procedure for hours so that I can have something I know I'll regret in 10, 20 or 30 years?  No thank you.

How many people wear the same clothes they wore 10 years ago? Or wear makeup in the same way, for those who wear makeup?

I wonder whatever happened to the guy I saw walking downtown with a full Maori-style facial tattoo.  He couldn't have been more than 22 years old at the time.

People change.  What makes people think they'll like being stuck with some choice they made when they are no longer the person they were?

And yes, I do think that some day people will not be getting tats.  Fashions change, and tats are a fashion.

But I also said platform shoes would never come back. I've even seen a mullet or two lately.  WTF?
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: June 01, 2007, 03:02:28 PM

Splendid, but NSFW: http://www.ronbingham.com/tattoo-images/willy-tattoo.jpg Personally, this one would freak me out when heading south.
See, that's what I'm saying -- 20 years from now, she'll wish she'd done Santa Claus....
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: June 01, 2007, 03:07:32 PM

Splendid, but NSFW: http://www.ronbingham.com/tattoo-images/willy-tattoo.jpg Personally, this one would freak me out when heading south.
See, that's what I'm saying -- 20 years from now, she'll wish she'd done Santa Claus....

Is that actually a tattoo or just body paint?

I have seen it linked as an example of both before.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #108 on: June 01, 2007, 03:41:54 PM

I think the Rood Inverse symbol from Vagrant Story would make for a really awesome tattoo.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: June 01, 2007, 04:05:46 PM

I think Pi would be cool on your arm. And not the symbol, take it out to about 1000 digits.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #110 on: June 01, 2007, 04:25:51 PM

Almost 3 weeks after I got my tattoo I finally got all the pictures off my phone and took a decent one of it.

Last night with my phone in front of the mirror. (So this is actually my left shoulder. Down below is how it's actually positioned.)

This was taken while the tattoo was being done. If you couldn't tell. And no, my phone doesn't pick up on too much light. I'm just that pale that I literally     reflect any fluorescent light. It's disgusting :(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 04:32:36 PM by NiX »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #111 on: June 01, 2007, 04:29:58 PM

If Gulp is flying down for a F13 tatoo roundup, it has to be frontpaged in blazing color for our amusement.

I'd get my dancing monkey if I ever got a tatoo, but it wouldn't be able to dance like it does now.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #112 on: June 01, 2007, 04:34:04 PM

I'm sure you could figure a place where it could dance.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: June 01, 2007, 04:37:49 PM

That's excellent work, Nix!  Who did you go to and what did they charge you?

Oh, and if you ever get the hankering for another one, you might want to head to Toronto, Bob Tyrell runs a shop called the Night Gallery, and he puts out world class tats.  He's definitely on my list, along with local boy Jay Wheeler (Probably my favorite artist, his shit is stunning).
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #114 on: June 01, 2007, 04:46:30 PM

That's excellent work, Nix!  Who did you go to and what did they charge you?

Oh, and if you ever get the hankering for another one, you might want to head to Toronto, Bob Tyrell runs a shop called the Night Gallery, and he puts out world class tats.  He's definitely on my list, along with local boy Jay Wheeler (Probably my favorite artist, his shit is stunning).

I went to Bill Read of Abstract Arts. He was awesome. He charged me $200 CDN for the whole deal. Whenever I tell people that around here I always get the same look. You know that look when you got a deal and the other person hates you for it.

I'll definitely look into Bob Tyrell. I'm already wanting another and I want it to be on the underside of my wrist (still.) So if you have any designs.. :P
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: June 01, 2007, 04:47:59 PM

I'll definitely look into Bob Tyrell. I'm already wanting another and I want it to be on the underside of my wrist (still.) So if you have any designs.. :P

Plane ticket, fool.  Get thee to Arizona.   :-D
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #116 on: June 01, 2007, 05:00:48 PM

I already had this talk with Schild. I'm doing a summer term for school so I have class every day during the week all the way till next July/April. 2 terms back to back. Otherwise I'd be down there. Which would probably be fun, cause if I shaved I could pretend I'm someones kid. Embarrassing moments for the win!
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #117 on: June 01, 2007, 05:04:12 PM

Plane ticket, fool.  Get thee to Arizona.   :-D

Since it'd be cheaper for me to simply drive up to where you are from Chicago, I may have to PM you in the future when I have my "next two tats" fund fully saved up.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: June 01, 2007, 05:14:33 PM

I may have to PM you in the future when I have my "next two tats" fund fully saved up.

Hell, I'm all about building up the portfolio now, not charging.  Besides which, I wouldn't really feel good about charging F13ers.  I do charge people I get hooked up with through work/friends, but that's only because I don't really know them.

That said, donations are appreciated.    wink  This is an expensive "hobby".
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #119 on: June 01, 2007, 05:15:48 PM

Like I said, maybe I can convince the girlfriend to take a roadtrip down to where you are. It's not THAT far from Toronto.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #120 on: June 01, 2007, 08:13:38 PM

Just need to make sure I don't look like Kratos when I'm done.

Why wouldn't you want that?

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: June 01, 2007, 08:32:54 PM

Not exactly gaming (and probably paint instead of a tattoo) but how about something like this?

[Maybe NSW]
schild
Administrator

Reply #122 on: June 01, 2007, 08:37:25 PM

That is definately not safe for work. And looks Just Stupid.

Edit: This turned out a little too Nine Inch Nailsy I think. But... much smaller and without the white border or white background...

« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 08:42:54 PM by schild »
Cory Jacobs
Terracotta Army

It's so bad.

Reply #123 on: June 01, 2007, 08:59:40 PM

Okay okay okay... this is gonna be all kinds of bad. I'm gonna walk out of this shindig with 14 fucking tats. Christ I'm probably gonna end up with  something stupid like a permanent Hitler mustache.

A - Z is for Cory, who is awesome in every way.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: June 01, 2007, 09:11:42 PM

Edit: This turned out a little too Nine Inch Nailsy I think. But... much smaller and without the white border or white background...

Why not a f13 that is something more stylized.....add some of the elements from the images you first posted, maybe play with the letters in a different fashion?

Maybe the 13 under the lower cross of the F?

Quicky example:

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #125 on: June 01, 2007, 09:17:53 PM

That is very Schild Reznor.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #126 on: June 01, 2007, 09:20:45 PM

I may have to PM you in the future when I have my "next two tats" fund fully saved up.

Hell, I'm all about building up the portfolio now, not charging.  Besides which, I wouldn't really feel good about charging F13ers.  I do charge people I get hooked up with through work/friends, but that's only because I don't really know them.

That said, donations are appreciated.    wink  This is an expensive "hobby".

Hey Gulp - I'll certainly donate to the cause if you can do any work for me. I'm likely not doing anything gaming (although Pip Boy is very tempting) but my left arm I'd like to work on. Trying to stay away from isolated spot tattoos. At the risk of being Too Much Information (shitty built in laptop camera quality!):

Right Arm:

Left Arm:

Stomach:

Also, for those interested in F13 imagery, I have some designs for t-shirts I'm getting done for fun from a guy up here in the Great White North who is pretty good at that stuff. PM me if you're going to be in AZ and I'll send you some of the designs - they were supposed to show up in my inbox on Saturday but I assume he got busy, still he does good stuff.

Samples of his work.

EDITZ: Based on the birthday song thread I'm old enough to be some of you people's father. At 38 I am on my son's school board, and I don't see regretting my tattoos (first one i got at 17) anytime soon. YMMV.

EDITZ2: webserver died - one of my image directories wasn't backed up. Oh noes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 12:40:15 AM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: June 02, 2007, 04:52:21 AM

I'm likely not doing anything gaming (although Pip Boy is very tempting) but my left arm I'd like to work on. Trying to stay away from isolated spot tattoos. At the risk of being Too Much Information (shitty built in laptop camera quality!):

Dude, I'm gonna have fun with your ass.  Like, break out the fine tipped sharpies and go nuts, fun.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #128 on: June 03, 2007, 12:18:03 AM

I'm likely not doing anything gaming (although Pip Boy is very tempting) but my left arm I'd like to work on. Trying to stay away from isolated spot tattoos. At the risk of being Too Much Information (shitty built in laptop camera quality!):

Dude, I'm gonna have fun with your ass.  Like, break out the fine tipped sharpies and go nuts, fun.

In any other context, this would scare me. As is, I'm in. That left arm needs to catch up to it's partner soon, so think about it.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: June 03, 2007, 02:39:09 AM

That left arm needs to catch up to it's partner soon, so think about it.

You've got to give me some clue of what you want, man.  I assume you want to tie the arm together, so I'm thinking someing like maybe a dragon's head at the top of your shoulder, wings extending on either side of the cross down to the arm band.  Do a little wrap around to accent your musculature.  Or if not that a skeleton or something.  I don't precisely know what you're into, so it's hard to gauge.  From my experience, everyone wants skulls.   :-D
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #130 on: June 03, 2007, 06:37:58 AM

More cheesecake pics of men, please.  Maybe some butts, if you don't mind?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: June 03, 2007, 06:43:11 AM

Maybe some butts, if you don't mind?

You're just begging for the goatse.cx guy.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: June 03, 2007, 05:16:46 PM

NiX your Phoenix/Firebird is awesome.

If I had any idea of what I wanted to put on my chest I'd defiantly work out a way to get down there in July. Some oriental looking dragon but with modern stylings (like NiX's) or somesuch ..

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #133 on: June 03, 2007, 05:21:58 PM

I bet if you bought a ticket, you could figure out what to get in the next 45 days or so ;)
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: June 03, 2007, 05:25:37 PM

I bet if you bought a ticket, you could figure out what to get in the next 45 days or so ;)

Since I live in Denver I could drive it in 12 hours or so if I decided to go at the last minute.

My problem is that I've never sat down with anyone to figure out something that'd work; I'd really like something that has to do with being a pilot, but plain ol' pilot wings or an Air Force symbol is lame.

- Viin
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: June 03, 2007, 05:41:17 PM

My problem is that I've never sat down with anyone to figure out something that'd work; I'd really like something that has to do with being a pilot, but plain ol' pilot wings or an Air Force symbol is lame.

How about WWII bomber nose art?  Classic tattoo stuff, pretty girls, and a lot of aviation stuff thrown into the designs.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #136 on: June 03, 2007, 05:49:50 PM

In the bomber nose art vein...here's the first thing that came up on Google.

linky

schild
Administrator

Reply #137 on: June 03, 2007, 08:10:41 PM

Since I live in Denver I could drive it in 12 hours or so if I decided to go at the last minute.

I'm pretty sure we could come up with something. On the bomber nose stuff, it is very classic. Not for me, but on others, I'd not knock it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #138 on: June 03, 2007, 08:39:34 PM

Gee, you can get them in UV blacklight too. 

So something like this: 

or this:

would look sort of cool.  Only at a club or hippy party, though.  I guess.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #139 on: June 03, 2007, 10:24:46 PM

Bomber nose stuff doesn't work if you fly/flew a fighter.  evil

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gaming Tattoos  
Jump to: