Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:07:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Olympics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Olympics  (Read 7095 times)
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #35 on: August 24, 2004, 09:29:03 AM

The problem with USA basketball is that we tried to put together Dream Team v4.0, even after many legitimate would-be Dream Team candidates declined. We didn't assemble the team with the idea of making a complete team that could play solid fundamental international rules basketball.....we just threw together a dozen of the best athletes in the NBA that would accept the invite.

They don't have a true point guard, they don't have any legitimate outside shooters, even with the international 3 point arc (i.e. same as the one they use in high school and college). We don't have any great defensive players on the team either.

By comparison, if you put the Pistons in the games, you'd see that a team of role players acting as a cohesive, fundamental unit can easily trump a collection of superstars. Or didn't the Finals teach you folks anything?

Maybe next time they will consider putting together a complete team, instead of just a collection of raw athletes with big paychecks.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 24, 2004, 10:11:47 AM

Quote from: El Gallo
My new favorite moment has to be the crowd going absolutely nuts when the judges royally screwed Nemov last night.  10 solid minutes of humiliation for those worthless cockgoblin gymnastics judges.  Luckily that Italian guy put on a great show and won the gold.  If Hamm had been handed that gold I think the crowd would have burned the arena down....

That whole thing just made me realize even more how screwed up a "sport" is that is judged by humans.  Why'ed they score so low?  Nobody knows.  Not even the commentators could figure it out.

It sucked for Hamm too, since he got shafted into being the bad guy when all he did was perform.  The judges screwed everything up and he gets demonized for it.  Stupid.  I went to bed right after that out of disgust.  I'm not watching that crap anymore.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 24, 2004, 11:29:17 AM

After the dream team afterglow wore off, I always thought it would have been a good idea to make a new NBA contractual requirement to all signed players that if your team won the championship the year prior and it is an olympic year, you are on the team.  Same for the coaching staff.

I don't know much about basketball, but for those who do, would the NBA championship teams of recent past be able to wipe the floor with the international competition?

Another curious question is that if that was a requirement, would the drive to win the championship be higher or lower every 4 years?  I imagine that is highly individualistic.

Another idea that strikes me is that there should be an NBA deadline where any players who want to play in the olympics sign a contract that the will if picked.  Then the coaching staff can assemble a team from the list of talent without having to scramble to replace noshows.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #38 on: August 24, 2004, 11:42:45 AM

Quote from: Alluvian

I don't know much about basketball, but for those who do, would the NBA championship teams of recent past be able to wipe the floor with the international competition?

I believe so.  The Pistons would really roll through this crowd.  Despite the ugliness of the basketball produced by a typical modern championship team, they're usually infinitely more balanced and cohesive than any dud of a dream team we've been able to scavange together recently.

Outside shooting, play making and the presence of roleplayers would make them better suited for international play.  While they'd likely lose in NBA style competition to a US dream team, they'd clean up in international play.

Another curious question is that if that was a requirement, would the drive to win the championship be higher or lower every 4 years?  I imagine that is highly individualistic.

Wouldn't happen, but I imagine teams would view winning during an olympic year as a mixed blessing. They're already tired from going the distance in an overly long playoff structure.  

Another idea that strikes me is that there should be an NBA deadline where any players who want to play in the olympics sign a contract that the will if picked.  Then the coaching staff can assemble a team from the list of talent without having to scramble to replace noshows

This would never make it past any sort of deal with the player union.  The NBA players anyhow would only agree to something that gave them infinite loopholes to escape the system.

The NBA is ruled more by the cry baby millionaires than even baseball is.  
A gold medal is just a burden for them. Anything that doesn't result in bling bling is secondary.

The only thing that I think can save US international play is a more intelligent selection process.  They need to stop trying to play toward the non-existant rating that they hope will result.  They need to stop picking players on the basis of how many Olympic jerseys they will sell.  Pick a team that will win, not one that wishes they were at home taking a cash bath.

-Rasix
Romp
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 25, 2004, 02:06:56 AM

there's also the fact that NBA teams are becoming increasingly international.  So you could have NBA teams competing for the US without some of their best players.

the US team would definitely do a lot better if they picked a balanced team with roleplayers though.  It's all about David Stern wanting to promote the NBA by sending young exciting players.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Olympics  
Jump to: