Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:50:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Hulk Movie Redux 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hulk Movie Redux  (Read 22748 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 04:40:42 PM

I think the Bana one succeeded in that respect too... Don't know why there's so much hate for it.

Because the final action scene was done so poorly and darkly that I literally couldn't tell what was going on.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 05:28:34 PM

I'll grant you that.

It had some good action sequences otherwise though. I liked it on a visceral level at least. And from what we know, they're making an even more popcorn oriented flick this time around. So hopefully, it'll be even more visceral than what Ang Lee tried to do. I think it'll be entertaining.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: March 17, 2008, 08:27:41 AM

For crissakes. He's the Hulk. Damn whether you the know outcome or not. It's just cool to watch him smash shit.

I think the Bana one succeeded in that respect too... Don't know why there's so much hate for it.

Because there wasn't nearly enough Hulk Smash, a whole lot of Daddy Issues Drama, and the climax of the climatic fight scene was a bit... silly. Oh and the Hulk looked like a shiny plastic Barney doll that was green.

That said, I liked the original other than my complaints above.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 17, 2008, 09:34:30 AM

After spiderman(had spiderman 2 come out?) and all the hype the hulk got, it just couldn't live up to expectations. The last hulk movie was good I think but it had flaws and was simply not what people wanted, it left a bitter taste in their mouths. As said before, the ending was horrible and there simply wasn't enough "hulk smash"

Not just to parrot what everyone else is saying, I feel like this will be a much better movie. The budget won't be as high, the hulk to me doesn't look all that great(almost too human, just bigger and greener) however everyone's expectations are a lot lower. We'll go in, expecting a fun hulk movie and we'll be satisfied. To me this is probably the smartest thing marvel could have done with the property. Wash the taste of the old hulk out of our mouths, give us a nice refreshing new look and then if it does well, make another with a bigger budget.

Hell, it worked for batman, right?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 03:49:40 PM

Sooo... Looks like there's going to be a badass cameo in the new Hulk movie.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Seems to be old news, but I just found out a few minutes ago when the newest commercial popped up on tv. The move makes me wonder how worried the execs are about getting their money back on this one, although it is reassuring.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #40 on: June 10, 2008, 04:30:54 PM

I'm going to check it out, I think.

So at the very least, they'll make about 7 bucks.  awesome, for real
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 10, 2008, 06:18:42 PM

I think it's more that Marvel is producing both movies and is trying to create a cohesive universe rather than a series on one-shots.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 06:59:02 PM

I saw a preview screening of "The Incredible Hulk". All in all: "Iron Man" was better. It's not a bad film, but it's not a great film either. "The Incredible Hulk" is a well presented dumb comic book movie, but it's still a dumb comic book movie.

If you want to read a long review, here's mine.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #43 on: June 23, 2008, 06:38:22 AM

hm. just watched today, it didn't really leave an impression on me, except the part when they played the Lonely man theme it kinda felt sad. Otherwise, it's a very average movie.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008, 03:16:53 AM

Word is going around that Sony wants to get Spider-man 4 out in 2011.  The problem is that the summer of 2011 is also when the Captain America and Avengers movies are supposed to come out.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 24, 2008, 07:25:52 AM

Hm, bored of spidey. They can't really make him more interesting unless he somehow has a cross-over with other marvel characters, it doesn't have to be the prominent ones more like...Daredevil? His villains gallery aren't really that impressive when translated to a movie. Electro? Vulture? The Scorpion? Hydroman?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 24, 2008, 11:45:40 AM

Hm, bored of spidey. They can't really make him more interesting unless he somehow has a cross-over with other marvel characters, it doesn't have to be the prominent ones more like...Daredevil? His villains gallery aren't really that impressive when translated to a movie. Electro? Vulture? The Scorpion? Hydroman?
Do they kill off MJ?  I'll watch it for that.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 24, 2008, 01:09:41 PM

They've been slowly developing the character of The Lizard, who I always thought of as a cool villain. I wouldn't mind seeing the Punisher show up and having him portrayed as a bad guy. Electro is cool. That's the character James Cameron wrote into his spec script almost ten years ago. I read that a while back and it was badass. If the movie goes ahead, it'll be interesting to see how relations end between SONY and Marvel Studios.

edit:
Do they kill off MJ?  I'll watch it for that.

I wanted to see Gwen Stacy in the first one with MJ as a background character. Having the two of them in part one still would have worked. The actress they chose for MJ still doesn't seem to fit the role. Off with her head!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:13:01 PM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #48 on: June 24, 2008, 09:39:31 PM

Word is going around that Sony wants to get Spider-man 4 out in 2011.  The problem is that the summer of 2011 is also when the Captain America and Avengers movies are supposed to come out.

Sony probably doesn't care what time table Marvel Studios sets for its films.

I wonder if Spider-Man IV will follow the law of superhero movie sequels and suck so hard that Spider-Man 5 will be a reboot?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #49 on: June 24, 2008, 10:16:45 PM

They should.  While Spider-man is still a huge franchise, they're coming off a movie that received a lukewarm reception from critics and fans (to put it mildly) in Spider-man 3, as well as a four year gap between movies.  In the meantime, Marvel will have been building up to the Cap and Avengers movies with four previous movies (Iron Man 1 & 2, Hulk, Thor), one of which is already a huge success.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 24, 2008, 10:48:02 PM

hulk was barely a C. If i'm generous is a B-
I am not familiar with Thor and I doubt many people would. I really hope Marvel change their mind about Thor Movie. I know he's a flagship character, but man, Sentry would've made a better movie than Thor imo.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #51 on: June 24, 2008, 11:02:15 PM

I am not familiar with Thor and I doubt many people would. I really hope Marvel change their mind about Thor Movie. I know he's a flagship character, but man, Sentry would've made a better movie than Thor imo.

Most movie-goers weren't familiar with Iron Man before the movie came out either.  There are a number of hurdles in doing a Thor movie, but I don't think that is really one of them.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 24, 2008, 11:05:58 PM

Yes but it sounds so....Medieval. Fantasy like. There's Narnia for that. Lord of the Rings. Are we gonna put a hercules in modern age, what is he fighting for? How does he react to surrounding? That's the problem.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #53 on: June 24, 2008, 11:07:00 PM

They should.  While Spider-man is still a huge franchise, they're coming off a movie that received a lukewarm reception from critics and fans (to put it mildly) in Spider-man 3, as well as a four year gap between movies.  In the meantime, Marvel will have been building up to the Cap and Avengers movies with four previous movies (Iron Man 1 & 2, Hulk, Thor), one of which is already a huge success.

Don't forget about the Ant-Man film!

Iron Man 2 is, to my knowledge, still a while away from pre-production. And if it comes out in 2010, will the main cast wish to turn around and go right back into filming for 2011?

Thor is a big question mark. I know that there is a sub-set of comic book fans that like Thor. I just don't understand it, myself, and if they use Ultimate Thor, then the turn off most of that fanbase too.

Having the CapAm movie a WWII period piece also has some risks. The name recognition of the character is good, but does a large enough audience really want to see superheroes in WWII? Apart from "The Rocketeer" (set roughly in that time frame, I think) it's some pretty untested ground.

Sony, on the other hand, can develop the next Spider-Man film in complete isolation to whatever Marvel wants to do. They can be nice about it, but they certainly don't have to pull back on their plans just because Marvel might be releasing some films in the same year.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #54 on: June 24, 2008, 11:09:20 PM

Most movie-goers weren't familiar with Iron Man before the movie came out either.  There are a number of hurdles in doing a Thor movie, but I don't think that is really one of them.

Iron Man is a party-loving billionaire with an armoured supersuit.

Thor is a guy with a hammer.

It's a lot easy to see the attraction in seeing "Iron Man" over "Thor".

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #55 on: June 25, 2008, 12:25:14 AM

Thor is a big question mark. I know that there is a sub-set of comic book fans that like Thor. I just don't understand it, myself, and if they use Ultimate Thor, then the turn off most of that fanbase too.

I'm not a huge fan of Thor myself.  The difference between Thor and most of Marvel's other characters is that he doesn't really have a solid status quo to build a film around.  Do you attach him to a mortal host like Donald Blake or Eric Masterson?  If so, is that host an actual person or just a creation of Odin's like Blake turned out to be in an odd attempt to teach Thor humility?  Giving him a human host allows them to play up the super-hero aspect of it a little bit more, especially if the go the route they did with Eric Masterson (divorced father, struggling to make ends-meet only to end up having to share his existance with a Superhero).  Or you could just focus on Thor and Asgard with more of a fantasy thing.  Mayble play up the Ragnarok thing as a sub-plot throughout the movies or something.

Point being, there isn't really a solid outline even to tell Thor's origin story.  Whoever ends up writing the screenplay for this has a lot of flexibility in what can be done.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 25, 2008, 12:30:54 AM

if they can't even do Ghost rider right....i doubt Thor will.

Here's a dude. Who sold his soul to save his father. He was deceived. And now he is damned as an immortal motorcycle stunt man who ate sweets while watching bad cartoons at night. Until one night, he met his ex-girlfriend and his Satanic Benefactor returns to call his dues as THE GHOST RIDER  !! DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #57 on: June 25, 2008, 12:35:36 AM

if they can't even do Ghost rider right....i doubt Thor will.

Here's a dude. Who sold his soul to save his father. He was deceived. And now he is damned as an immortal motorcycle stunt man who ate sweets while watching bad cartoons at night. Until one night, he met his ex-girlfriend and his Satanic Benefactor returns to call his dues as THE GHOST RIDER  !! DRILLING AND MANLINESS

To be fair, they haven't been able to get Ghost Rider right in the comics for a long time either (and don't get me started on their repeated failures with Blade in the comics).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #58 on: June 25, 2008, 07:36:45 AM

Ghost Rider movie... god what an abortion that was. You can't get a guy with a flaming skull for a head to look cool on film, you suck at life.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #59 on: June 25, 2008, 07:51:45 AM

The problem is that Ghost Rider is just a guy who looks cool. The character sucks ass and always has.

[edit] I just realized that Daniel Day Lewis would be the perfect Dr. Strange.

Too bad he'd never do it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:05:07 AM by Stray »
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 25, 2008, 06:40:08 PM

Looking at your avatar and seeing the metion of Daniel Day Lewis makes me think he needs to be in a Preacher flick. He could play Herr Star, Saint of Killers, Cassidy, or even Jesse Custer.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #61 on: June 25, 2008, 08:04:41 PM

Looking at your avatar and seeing the metion of Daniel Day Lewis makes me think he needs to be in a Preacher flick. He could play Herr Star, Saint of Killers, Cassidy, or even Jesse Custer.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

He could play all of the roles. You know he could do it  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #62 on: June 25, 2008, 09:22:18 PM

Damn yeah, you're right. The guy is just that awesome.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 28, 2008, 10:09:15 PM

I enjoyed the Hulk movie.  But then I read the comic arc that some elements were taken from, which probably helped, 'cause that arc kicked ass.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Hulk Movie Redux  
Jump to: