Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:49:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: Okay, I surrender. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Okay, I surrender.  (Read 85327 times)
Valant
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 31, 2007, 12:02:36 PM

Who started the pissing contest?...Or rather, who feels the need to start one?

Yeah....Thats what I thought.

You might have other newbs you guys can walk on, but its not going to happen here. Bet on that. Im ready to drop it as soon as you kids lose the need to blow your own horns to look cool in front of the community.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 12:12:47 PM by Valant »
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: May 31, 2007, 12:51:24 PM

*sighs*

We all know how this is going to end.  Heartbreak

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: May 31, 2007, 12:53:45 PM

You might have other newbs you guys can walk on, but its not going to happen here. Bet on that. Im ready to drop it as soon as you kids lose the need to blow your own horns to look cool in front of the community.

It takes two to have an argument and two to perpetuate a pissing contest.  Guess who one of them is?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Zedword
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: May 31, 2007, 12:54:59 PM

It takes two to have an argument and two to perpetuate a pissing contest.  Guess who one of them is?

a pissing argument?

--Zedword, nuh uh
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: May 31, 2007, 01:41:13 PM

Ah and the big brother 'I have more posts than you' vets come to the rescue eh? How about you let him fight his own battles? This has sadly become a recurring theme on these boards, and its really starting to get pathetic.

I ask valid questions about a game I have not played, and get blasted with sarcasam and asshats for it? Sounds like something from MMORPG.Com...

Great way for you guys to welcome new visitors to the team...  rolleyes

You must have just finished reading how to make friends and influence people?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #75 on: May 31, 2007, 01:43:24 PM

Who started the pissing contest?...Or rather, who feels the need to start one?

Yeah....Thats what I thought.

You, rolling your eyes and being a douche to Straz. Not to mention the 75-yr old reflexes jab (your first post in your 'valid questions' was insulting board members, for fuck's sake). We've known each other for years here, you wander in off the street like you're some kind of hot shit. I'm not trying to look cool, I gave that up in the 80s. Tooting one's own horn? Who's done that? Maybe someone talking about themselves being hot shit in Battlefield, eh? Stop with the insults and the stupid tough talk, or are you going to bring in the heavy hitters?

Now cut it the fuck out and play nice until we know whether we should put up with your shit. You've already shown a stunning inability to have your balls busted.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: May 31, 2007, 04:34:23 PM

Well I reinstalled Planetside and found I had a trial, and I think I'm going to resub for at least one month, maybe more.  Depends how pissed I get.  One of the things I really, really, really enjoy doing is going back to base and constantly changing my certification profile for whatever it is I want to do for the next hour or two (I changed A LOT between Friday - Tuesday that made up a four day weekend for me), and I am really going to be sad to see that go after my character hits their 7 day mark after a day or two here.  I really enjoyed being Inf and jacking vehicles and booming snipers, but I'm going with a Infantry Specialization (Sniper, Vehicle, Heavy Assault) and slowly working my way up to being able to get a couple support skills.

I think the game could benefit from a Rest Experience system.  Rather than gaining the ability to uncert once every 6 hours, you gain 1 credit, up to a certain maximum, which allows for an uncert.  That means that I can play with a profile for awhile and use saved up un-certification credits to quickly change one cert around if necessary.  As often as I want to change to mix up my play experience, I think this would be a huge benefit to the game.

I also like how they added Support experience.  That is a new kind of crack rock that has got me addicted.  That's why I want to be able to switch from full blown Schwarzenegger spec to pure support if I want to.

Oh, and I used to play NC ...  I laughed when my BR 15 character with BFR was still on there from 2 years ago.  But I joined Vanu, which I always wanted to play but felt it was unfair since they were more popular back in the day, and now I'm having a good time.

Oh, and somehow I've become a hella good sniper.

Best moments:
1) Jacking a Lodestar that a BFR pounding our base was using to resupply, and watching the BFR come back to repair only to go "Oh Noes" then their pilots ejecting and deconstructing it
2) Knifing AFK people
3) BOOM. HEADSHOT.
4) Providing a base with an AMS or Router or other support and a BFR with repair and watching the assist kills rack up into the hundreds in the span of 30 minutes.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #77 on: May 31, 2007, 06:07:56 PM

Yeah, there are a lot of features in PS that I hope can make their way into future games. The stat-tracking and indirect-XP mechanics are just two of them.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #78 on: May 31, 2007, 07:48:22 PM

Ah and the big brother 'I have more posts than you' vets come to the rescue eh? How about you let him fight his own battles? This has sadly become a recurring theme on these boards, and its really starting to get pathetic.

I ask valid questions about a game I have not played, and get blasted with sarcasam and asshats for it? Sounds like something from MMORPG.Com...

And your questions were answered and yet you insisted on insulting other members of the forum who were trying to help you and then complain that people are attacking you.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: June 01, 2007, 12:17:25 PM

Well I reinstalled Planetside and found I had a trial, and I think I'm going to resub for at least one month, maybe more.  Depends how pissed I get.  One of the things I really, really, really enjoy doing is going back to base and constantly changing my certification profile for whatever it is I want to do for the next hour or two (I changed A LOT between Friday - Tuesday that made up a four day weekend for me), and I am really going to be sad to see that go after my character hits their 7 day mark after a day or two here.  I really enjoyed being Inf and jacking vehicles and booming snipers, but I'm going with a Infantry Specialization (Sniper, Vehicle, Heavy Assault) and slowly working my way up to being able to get a couple support skills.

I think the game could benefit from a Rest Experience system.  Rather than gaining the ability to uncert once every 6 hours, you gain 1 credit, up to a certain maximum, which allows for an uncert.  That means that I can play with a profile for awhile and use saved up un-certification credits to quickly change one cert around if necessary.  As often as I want to change to mix up my play experience, I think this would be a huge benefit to the game.

I also like how they added Support experience.  That is a new kind of crack rock that has got me addicted.  That's why I want to be able to switch from full blown Schwarzenegger spec to pure support if I want to.

Oh, and I used to play NC ...  I laughed when my BR 15 character with BFR was still on there from 2 years ago.  But I joined Vanu, which I always wanted to play but felt it was unfair since they were more popular back in the day, and now I'm having a good time.

Oh, and somehow I've become a hella good sniper.

Best moments:
1) Jacking a Lodestar that a BFR pounding our base was using to resupply, and watching the BFR come back to repair only to go "Oh Noes" then their pilots ejecting and deconstructing it
2) Knifing AFK people
3) BOOM. HEADSHOT.
4) Providing a base with an AMS or Router or other support and a BFR with repair and watching the assist kills rack up into the hundreds in the span of 30 minutes.

Welcome back, i look foward to shooting you, dirty Vanu.

:-D

Ehh...at least UT2k4 had Assault mode with pure PvP. Huxley looked like the original Doom/Hexen co-op in a new engine. Some people might still like that, but I like the way the shooter genre was refined by games like BF1942, Tribes, and Planetside.

Yeah, i have never really been a fan of the bunny hopping rockit launcher, BOOM HEAD SHOT style of game play. I guess thats why i like PS so much, it has an action pace, but enough time in most encounters to where each opponent has a chance to best one another, instead of he who gets the first shot.

From what i read, Huxley will have a Vertical progression, instead of a horizontal one like planetside. I do not like that kind of a system in my FPS, such as the BF series (starting with 2, unlock able guns ETC..). I am just not a fan of unlocking more powerful guns, and prefer that even the day 1 noob can kill a vet.

BTW, the new Scorpion, quite an interesting weapon.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 12:27:59 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: June 01, 2007, 01:45:31 PM

I like BF1942, I was in a clan that did league/ladder play. BF:V was ok, didn't like DC. BF2 is ok, haven't bought BF:Advertising yet. The franchise is moving in a direction I don't care for. It's like EA got involved or something.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 02, 2007, 05:46:23 AM

Valant, setting yourself up as a target is going to bring out certain behaviors. But don't confuse this causal relationship with the general culture here. F13 has come a long way from it's roots.

Quote from: Kitsune
Huxley looks like a reskinned UT2004 in the gameplay video, filled with spazzes spraying guns everywhere.  That is not a tactical team-based FPS, it's deathmatch.  Tabula Rasa looks like it has more potential for filling the role, but I'm not holding my breath on that one, either.
Yes, but if Huxley has that in place, then it's easier to add different types of objectives to it. The entire genre started as deathmatch (once TCP/IP support started), and look how far it's come since. All Huxley needs to do is catch up to contemporary ways of playing FPS. Well, that sounded a lot easier than it is of course, but there it is :)

As to your hope for TR, err... good.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #82 on: June 02, 2007, 05:54:50 AM

The entire genre started as deathmatch (once TCP/IP support started), and look how far it's come since.
Actually that's UDP/IP support. Playing a shooter using TCP/IP over the Internet would royally suck.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: June 02, 2007, 06:09:24 AM

Ah, sweet sweet cheater, how you have shown me that Planetside is not worth subscribing, and ultimately broke my addiction to the game.

I'm glad I made a decision not to subscribe before my Trial ended.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: June 02, 2007, 07:28:23 AM

Ah, sweet sweet cheater, how you have shown me that Planetside is not worth subscribing, and ultimately broke my addiction to the game.

I'm glad I made a decision not to subscribe before my Trial ended.
There are cheats in this game, how that ? I never noticed anything like that.

Strazos

Reply #85 on: June 02, 2007, 08:46:54 AM

Just one example would be people using certain AMD processors. For whatever reason, this causes the player to run....very quickly.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 02, 2007, 08:47:39 AM

Just one example would be people using certain AMD processors. For whatever reason, this causes the player to run....very quickly.
Now that you mention it, I heard that before. But not in Planetside. Maybe EQ1 or EQ  2  ?

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: June 02, 2007, 08:47:59 AM

The entire genre started as deathmatch (once TCP/IP support started), and look how far it's come since.
Actually that's UDP/IP support. Playing a shooter using TCP/IP over the Internet would royally suck.

I was thinking Doom over LAN.
Strazos

Reply #88 on: June 02, 2007, 08:51:17 AM

Now that you mention it, I heard that before. But not in Planetside. Maybe EQ1 or EQ  2  ?

Not sure about EQ 1/2, but I've seen the AMD exploit personally in PS.

Fear the Backstab!
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: June 02, 2007, 08:56:00 AM

Not sure about EQ 1/2, but I've seen the AMD exploit personally in PS.

Is there any way to disable it ? I remember it as a bug not as an exploit.

Strazos

Reply #90 on: June 02, 2007, 08:58:45 AM

Not to my knowledge; it only affects a few of the dual-core AMD CPUs. I mean, I guess if you could somehow turn one of the cores off, it would solve the problem.

But why? If you're affected by the exploit, you're running at least 3x faster than everyone else.  tongue

Fear the Backstab!
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: June 02, 2007, 09:20:12 AM

Not to my knowledge; it only affects a few of the dual-core AMD CPUs. I mean, I guess if you could somehow turn one of the cores off, it would solve the problem.

But why? If you're affected by the exploit, you're running at least 3x faster than everyone else.  tongue
That would be neat :-D

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #92 on: June 02, 2007, 05:28:07 PM

DOOM used IPX.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: June 02, 2007, 05:33:07 PM

Genre still started as Deathmatch though :)
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #94 on: June 02, 2007, 05:36:33 PM

DOOM used IPX.

You guys were teh smart to set up a LAN back then.  We had two computers back to back connected by serial cable, and that's the best we could pull off.

Witty banter not included.
Valant
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: June 03, 2007, 06:22:09 PM

And your questions were answered and yet you insisted on insulting other members of the forum who were trying to help you and then complain that people are attacking you.

Your F13 Mod views are bit skewed Trippy, but I guess you all have joined in on the same anal orgy together...If youll notice- I didnt insult specific members 'after' my questions were answered, so I didnt 'insist' on anything- other than to cut it out with the lame 'newb' sarcasm. Yeah, they were truly trying to help me with that one....  rolleyes

I merely responded to the attempted slapstick sarcasm at my expense, and got flamed by forum regulars because I spoke up and defended myself - which is treatment Ive already seen here before. Your regulars like to make jokes, thats fine, but theyre not going to be made at my expense without a response. If you cant see that that happened, then I would seriously question your mod abilities. Its laughable you even have to come in here...

Also, Strazos can obviously fight his own battles- but he deserved whatever response he got from me, as he basically followed me around that day posting in every thread I commented on with his usual tongue in cheek remarks. If hes going to be on my ass the whole day chastizing me, dont be suprised when I get an anal guard...that simple. You want proof of that, run a search, or I can Pm you every thread he trolled me on...doesnt really matter to me...

Anyways, for a forum that supposedly has some thick-skinned members, you guys get worked into an aweful fuss when one of 'Da boyz' gets called out...4-5 vet members and a mod to back them? rolleyes

You guys are truly pathetic...let your own smart ass members fight their own battles....

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 06:25:10 PM by Valant »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #96 on: June 03, 2007, 06:36:52 PM

Like I said you are the one that started it as you can see if follow things from here:

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=9376.msg305928#msg305928

But that's neither here nor there now since you won't be coming back. Have a nice life.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: June 03, 2007, 09:23:37 PM

*sighs*

We all know how this is going to end.  Heartbreak

Quote from: Trippy
But that's neither here nor there now since you won't be coming back. Have a nice life.
Thats what I meant.   Heartbreak

Strazos

Reply #98 on: June 03, 2007, 10:31:50 PM

Oh noes, such a shame he left. I was ready to write out an actual response too...

Well, I probably would have done it in the next evening anyway, as I have actual work to worry about now.

Also, stalking and trolling? Are you kidding me?

EDIT: Fuck it, kid had 20 overall posts, maybe 3 of which I responded to. Only one of which would be anything close to insulting, and only because I told him how PS actually plays. WhatTheFuckEver.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 10:38:41 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #99 on: June 04, 2007, 03:58:48 AM

Heavy hitters man, heavy hitters.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: June 04, 2007, 08:58:20 AM

I like BF1942, I was in a clan that did league/ladder play. BF:V was ok, didn't like DC. BF2 is ok, haven't bought BF:Advertising yet. The franchise is moving in a direction I don't care for. It's like EA got involved or something.

I agree 100%.  BF1942 had a great mix of twitch, tactics, and strategy.  You got accuracy benefits for being prone and the whole strafing nonsense was kept to a minimum.  I've yet to understand why more companies haven't looked into the whole FPS/Sim combo.  Seems it could make for an interesting combo if done well.  Perhaps this is where my WWIIOL fanboism grew from... the lure of a shooter tied to a sim/mmo had strong appeal to me. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: June 04, 2007, 10:16:40 AM

I agree 100%.  BF1942 had a great mix of twitch, tactics, and strategy.  You got accuracy benefits for being prone and the whole strafing nonsense was kept to a minimum.  I've yet to understand why more companies haven't looked into the whole FPS/Sim combo.  Seems it could make for an interesting combo if done well.  Perhaps this is where my WWIIOL fanboism grew from... the lure of a shooter tied to a sim/mmo had strong appeal to me. 

If I could only find my CD (Key) Now I really need a fix of some sniper/ Jeep-Antitank goodness.

Are there still populated Servers these days ?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: June 04, 2007, 11:32:02 AM

I've probably got my release wwiiol box around somewhere, but iirc they put the cdkey on a plain white cd envelope without identifying the game it belonged to. I think I have an envelope with a cd key that I've hand-wrote 'wwiiol?' on. I don't remember wwiiol being as freindly to jump in and play as bf1942, though. I think it ventured a little too far into 'hardcore sim' territory for my tastes, and then throw in the however many year rabid vet syndrome...
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: June 04, 2007, 11:35:40 AM

I've probably got my release wwiiol box around somewhere, but iirc they put the cdkey on a plain white cd envelope without identifying the game it belonged to. I think I have an envelope with a cd key that I've hand-wrote 'wwiiol?' on. I don't remember wwiiol being as freindly to jump in and play as bf1942, though. I think it ventured a little too far into 'hardcore sim' territory for my tastes, and then throw in the however many year rabid vet syndrome...
I tried it during the last free trial, was simply unplayable on my machine due to lack of RAM, I wish I could remember if it was before I upgraded to 1 GB.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: June 04, 2007, 04:04:04 PM

Planetside sucks up twice as much RAM as WoW.  It crashes about 100 times as often too. (I experienced a crash once every 2-4 hours and over 75% when I tried to quit the game).

I saw someone using those speed cheats and that's what caused me to quit.  Now I'm playing Puzzle Pirates.  Free servers, yo.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: Okay, I surrender.  
Jump to: