Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 233 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War  (Read 1923114 times)
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: June 06, 2007, 09:15:49 AM

M. Pire looks like they're going to have an interesing future...they've just been given the lion's share of ex-D2 space, according to rumour.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: June 08, 2007, 04:42:10 PM

I believe the M. Pire rumor to be true, for at least some part of ex-D2 space. I don't think M. Pire is large enough to hold all of ex-D2 space.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #702 on: June 10, 2007, 10:10:48 AM

Could someone enlighten me on which side of the conflict Knights of the Southerncross are standing ? For or against BoB ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Drogo
Terracotta Army

Reply #703 on: June 10, 2007, 10:15:15 AM

I believe they are with the Southern Coalition fighting against BoB.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #704 on: June 10, 2007, 12:47:40 PM

I believe they are with the Southern Coalition fighting against BoB.
Lucky me.

:-D

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #705 on: June 13, 2007, 10:02:45 PM

Soooo Xelas got evicted? http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=536521

Any comments, especially interested in the BoB side, I know Xelas isn't widely regarded as competent but curious if there is anything else I might have missed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 10:11:24 PM by Ratadm »
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: June 14, 2007, 12:52:38 AM

This isn't a troll: with the meganerf to complexes that has been announced, was there just no point to Xelas any more: they'd been incompetent at defending space, ratting income was down, and now the one task they'd been given (run the complex, every day, pay up) was gone.

Like I said: this is not a troll.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #707 on: June 14, 2007, 04:03:49 AM

Xelas suck worse than a singularity have room for improvement in most respects, and never paid BoB rent apparently (as part of their tenancy agreement).

Speculation: Losing control of their complexes and mass-recruiting macro-miners was probably the final straw for BoB, who'd probably much rather have a halfway-competant entity in that space, especially one that would presumably pay rent.

And that's assuming that BoB just doesn't take it over for themselves, natch.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: June 14, 2007, 05:24:28 AM

Also, plexes aren't going to be nerfed - they will spawn randomly in all qualifying regions.
It's just 10/10 constellations that are getting the shaft.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: June 14, 2007, 11:43:44 AM

Also, plexes aren't going to be nerfed - they will spawn randomly in all qualifying regions.
It's just 10/10 constellations that are getting the shaft.

Don't be obtuse: removing the 10/10s for now is a huge, if impermanent nerf.  And making them require discovery by exploration, rather than be runnable like clockwork on schedule every day is another, longer-term nerf.  Nerf != "removal".

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #710 on: June 14, 2007, 12:13:44 PM

In case anyone missed it in the Rev 2 thread, patch goes live early next week.
The Xelas thing makes a little more sense now.

JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: June 15, 2007, 05:06:50 PM

Plexes stay the same they were, loot and difficulty wise. It's the russk...plex farming that's getting the shaft.:P
Plex !=plex farming. 

Simond - when you run out of beer in the fridge, is it also a BOB conspiracy?
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: June 15, 2007, 05:10:23 PM

Aha! He admits it! BoB covops have been raiding my fridge!!!

stark
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: June 18, 2007, 03:16:35 PM

Razor is pretty much off the map now and MC has finished its contract for the North. I wonder what their next major op will be.

Here is Seleene's recap of the campain.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #714 on: June 19, 2007, 02:48:10 AM

And the last battle of the Age of Invulnerable Supercapitals ends in a stalemate, pretty much.

BoB had a plan to POS-spam their way to victory in XGH just prior to downtime (so that sovereignty would flip during the patch process/hotfix patches/inveitable downtime), and bought everyone and their dog to the fight. Goons invited along some of our friends (y hello thar Evil Thug, what a nice titan you have) and the next few hours shifted between POS standoffs, running battles, and tower spam.

(There were some interesting killmails on both side in that battle, as well - Goons flying newbie ships fitted as tacklers, and BoB using (shock! horror!) T1-fitted ships. :))

...meanwhile, Goon specops were heading down to 9-9 with cargo holds full of towers & fuel. When BoB started getting the alliance-mails showing Goon towers going up in 9-9, they began to counterspam back down there, which slowed their offensive in XGH.

End result: Goonswarm (just) held sovereignty in XGH, BoB held sovereignty in 9-9.

And now the rules change. :D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 02:53:41 AM by Simond »

LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #715 on: June 19, 2007, 06:29:54 AM

(There were some interesting killmails on both side in that battle, as well - Goons flying newbie ships fitted as tacklers, and BoB using (shock! horror!) T1-fitted ships. :))

Those T1 ships are usually replacements stored on the titans or carriers for people who lose their ship. I had a goon incursus attacking me for about 3 minutes in one fight. I finally got tired of his 2.1 damage messages popping up and launched my drones.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 06:32:34 AM by LC »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #716 on: June 19, 2007, 07:06:02 AM

The tackling Ibises (Ibices?) were similar - XGH was completely out of Minmatar & either Caldari or Gallente frigates after a couple of hours of combat, so people started throwing scramblers/webbers/etc onto newbie ships.

Plus you'll be surprised how many people don't actually have 'newbie ship' on their overviews...the first time, anyway. ;)

LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: June 19, 2007, 07:16:19 AM

The tackling Ibises (Ibices?) were similar - XGH was completely out of Minmatar & either Caldari or Gallente frigates after a couple of hours of combat, so people started throwing scramblers/webbers/etc onto newbie ships.

Plus you'll be surprised how many people don't actually have 'newbie ship' on their overviews...the first time, anyway. ;)

The incursus never scrambled me. He just orbited me with his guns firing. Maybe he was scrambling someone nearby, but it did seem strange.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: June 19, 2007, 07:32:52 AM

The incursus never scrambled me. He just orbited me with his guns firing. Maybe he was scrambling someone nearby, but it did seem strange.

Did you check his history and join date?  That might be his primary ship :)

Alternatively, he was almost certainly just having fun and wondering if he could annoy/distract you enough to get you to react.  Things were going well and fun was being had.

Twitter - Endieposts

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: June 20, 2007, 07:05:48 AM

Net result of the XGH thing so far, so far as publicly announced (ie no opsec): GF has sovereignty; seven BoB POSs put into reinforced; four with badly-timed stront have come out and been destroyed.  Without their titans, which seem strangely reluctant to engage for some reason, Bob have been rather less than stellar in the hours before and after the patch.  Now that Bob's MC minions hired servants have finished up north, presumably they'll come down and help their masters avoid too much of this sort of thing, but let's hope that Bob enjoy setting those alarm clocks for the foreseeable future.  They didn't want those jobs, anyway?

Twitter - Endieposts

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: June 20, 2007, 08:07:07 AM

It is going to be interesting to see what MC do next - I wonder if their northern campaign was their "One free op per year" rent to BoB or not?

They've also said that they're holding on to some systems up north, which might even tie them up for a short while (depending on what they're planning to do with them long term).

JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: June 21, 2007, 01:47:55 AM

didn't you guys lose 10 capitals to BoB's 2?
Also, I heard ET weren't that keen on using DD either:P
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: June 21, 2007, 02:38:22 AM

Well, Goons lost 2 to your 2, I think.  Our Russian comrades lost a bunch (8?) when they got rather carried away with how easy it seemed to be getting, but that's probably something I imaine that they'll make up for reaaal soon.

But you're confusing tactics with strategy (bob's killboards in particular kinda encourage that).  The strategic goal was exacting a heavy price for XGH, and the successful sieging of seven and destruction of four towers is a lot more success than most of us expected.  I didn't think for a second that we'd own XGH by the time RevII went in, because we everyone knew that Bob would make a big push for it.  The 9-9 counter in particular was genius. I don't expect it to last, of course, but there is at least the hope, with Rev 2, that the Russian winter has set in.

Re Evil Thug, who cares?  You're thinking tactically again, not strategically.  Him not using his one is a fair trade-off for you not using your several...   I imagine a fair few of Bob hated the era of the invulnerable titans almost as much as we did, anyway.

Twitter - Endieposts

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: June 21, 2007, 03:12:40 AM

Actually, the prevailing BoB theme re: Titans seems to be "Yeah, they were horrifically broken and really did need all the fixes. Fun while it lasted, though".
Well, on SHC at least. God only knows what line BoB are feeding the unkempt masses on EVE-O. :)

Edit: War update - BoB broke our fitting shop in the XGH station, so we broke their cloning vats in 9-9. :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 04:11:26 PM by Simond »

neep
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: June 21, 2007, 02:51:48 PM

First 200+ man fight, ever, where lag was only mentioned as being absent. The 'need for speed' changes seem to become noticeable in rev2.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 03:19:50 AM by neep »
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #725 on: June 21, 2007, 11:50:37 PM

Shrike just lost his titan to Goonfleet/RA. Like, 3 minutes ago. I'll link the killmail when it's up.

Edit: "Omnipotence itself".
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 11:55:02 PM by Yoru »
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: June 22, 2007, 12:24:47 AM

Shrike just lost his titan to Goonfleet/RA. Like, 3 minutes ago. I'll link the killmail when it's up.

Edit: "Omnipotence itself".

I was there. All I managed to do was stare at empty space. After 10 minutes nothing had loaded at all.

Here's a working killmail link: http://www.killboard.net/details/169202/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 12:28:50 AM by LC »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: June 22, 2007, 01:20:18 AM

That didn't take them long at all, did it?  :-D

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #728 on: June 22, 2007, 01:34:33 AM

FOFOFOFO

It only took just over six minutes from capitals jumping in until Shrike popped.  Not that I was there: wrong timezone for me on a working day  :-(

It's funny: everyone thought that (nightshift?) Orange Species would be the first to lose his titan.  In any case, the first piloted titan kill of the game goes to GF/RA.

By the way, does anyone know why some of his fittings were so average?  In particular, why does a titan carry drones but bother to take Valkyrie I, warrior I, vespa I, hammerhead I etc?  I can appreciate that he launched everything good that he could on dictors before he went down, but why he even bother carrying tier 1s?

Edit:  Did any devs come into local to praise Goonswarm (or GS Federation were the French there?) for getting the kill, and tell them to go out and do it again, a la Admiral Chandrawandragandra?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 01:41:19 AM by Endie »

Twitter - Endieposts

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: June 22, 2007, 01:38:56 AM

So he doesn't blow T2 drones on his own smart bomb(s).

That or he just didn't have T2 drone skills? I'm sure there are lots of things to train on a Titan that are more important then T2 drones :)

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: June 22, 2007, 02:55:04 AM

...and the rest of the odd modules are probably due to, up to a few days ago, the absolute optimum fitting for a titan was key modules (DDD, etc), a cloak, smartbombs, and then as many cap rechargers are you could possibly fit.

Having to change things to fit an actual tank might have meant "Grab whatever modules we could get hold of" rather than "top-end officer gear all the way"

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: June 22, 2007, 03:00:27 AM

That makes sense.  I rather suspect that fitting DD tanks might not be needed in the 46DP/77s/9-9 triangle for a few days while proper fittings are acquired :)

I like that the three draclira's modified cap rechargers are all amongst the stuff that survived: 10 bil each = one outpost.  I can't wait to see what that would be called.

Twitter - Endieposts

neep
Terracotta Army

Reply #732 on: June 22, 2007, 03:50:52 AM

Nice kill but a bit of a silly way to lose a titan.

this post by a goonie on caod seems to be a good summary of the kill:

The lag was fairly terrible, and I think everyone desynced at one point or another. There were only 190 in local throughout the whole fight, so I can't figure out why it was that bad.

On the other hand, I managed to bump the titan out of alignment 4 or 5 times, realize my client was desynced, log off, log back on, wait 6 minutes for login to complete and the grid to load, lock the titan again and continue bumping. That's not even close to a "lag kill" in this game.

Whoever was piloting Shrike made a mistake, plain and simple. He shouldn't have blown his DD on a 20 man gang on a gate, he shouldn't have cloaked once he realized his mistake, and he shouldn't even have been in local without overwhelming support available to bail him out. The era of cowboy titan antics is over, and good riddance.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: June 22, 2007, 04:07:24 AM

If anyone is interested, here is some edited, non-OPSEC TS recording of what happened:

http://jenovaswitnesses.org/titandead.mp3

I'll mirror that myself to save his bandwidth soon, and will change the link then.

Twitter - Endieposts

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: June 22, 2007, 06:02:54 AM

Whoever was piloting Shrike...
SirMolle, apparently.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 233 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War  
Jump to: