Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:49:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Shadow Priest/Lock or Lock/Pally? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shadow Priest/Lock or Lock/Pally?  (Read 11473 times)
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #35 on: January 11, 2007, 10:46:01 PM

Oh definately. I just really wanted to know if a shad priest was any good outside of levelling up and pvp. Mostly to see if they're any good at all in instances, and how well they fit with the Lock

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 12, 2007, 05:41:51 AM

I'd actually consider Lock/Feral Druid.

Then you have your tank/healer and in some situations, additional AOE.  I particularly like playing a druid as opposed to a priest, but that's just taste.  Druids are a lot more flexible and have interesting powers/talents to play around with.  Their travel powers are only outdone by the mages' portals.

Just another option that could be quite powerful.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 12, 2007, 06:58:56 AM

Interestingly enough, I can say from experience that Shadowpriests are very usefull in High end raids also.  Yesterday We did Naxx Plague wing with 3, or maybe 4, shadowpriests in the raid.  They were somewhat of a mixxed bag on patchwerk (lack of faster gheals hurts with our strat) but they rocked house on the other 3 bosses.  I had one in my party for Grobb, Gluth and Thaddeus, and the combination of Vamp Embrace an Vamp Touch (the one that restores mana) meant my mage got topped up to full pretty fast after a decimate or chain lightning, and had loads of mana to work with over thaddeus (i usually burn through 2 or 3 pots, all my gems, and evocation on thaddeus, with the shadowpriest, 1 gem and Evo were enough)

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #38 on: January 12, 2007, 08:37:21 AM

I just respecc'd my priest last night in preparation for leveling (spec). I went in the battlegrounds to give it a go. Holy crap. they are super strong now. do VT+SW:P and half their life is gone. It's terrific for harassing. VT->SW:P->MB->VE->flay->flay = love.

Wow. I am seriously strong. VT makes all the difference in the world, that VT+SW:P is an awesome harasser. Getting trickle mana+life is just an added bonus.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:39:02 AM by bhodi »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 12, 2007, 08:40:38 AM

I told you.  The wife MELTS FACES.  (As her Shadow Priest.)

Of course, she didn't pussy out like you and put talents in the other trees.

:)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #40 on: January 12, 2007, 09:02:41 AM

actually, shadow priests are freaking kick-ass now.

I guess I should learn2play, because my 59 priest has been roundly owned by quite a few 60s in Silithus lately.  They just seem to dump so much damage on me in a second that I don't have time to actually respond.

Maybe I just need more stam gear.

However, on topic, I do think that priest/lock would be a killer combo.  Friends don't let friends level pallies.

Twin hunters is pretty sweet too.  Nearly everything gets burned down before it reaches you.  If not, hunters have such good aggro-control mechanisms that they can typically get by even when something gets through.

Witty banter not included.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #41 on: January 12, 2007, 09:50:49 AM

I guess I should learn2play, because my 59 priest has been roundly owned by quite a few 60s in Silithus lately.  They just seem to dump so much damage on me in a second that I don't have time to actually respond.
Not sure of current combos, but something like VT->SW:P->flay-flay-flay doesn't kill them? VT->SW:P->MB->flay->scream->flay->flay->flay? Also, the 60s in slith are harder than most 60s elsewhere... If they are casters, put a silence in there...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:52:25 AM by bhodi »
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #42 on: January 12, 2007, 10:12:22 AM

Not sure of current combos, but something like VT->SW:P->flay-flay-flay doesn't kill them? VT->SW:P->MB->flay->scream->flay->flay->flay? Also, the 60s in slith are harder than most 60s elsewhere... If they are casters, put a silence in there...

Maybe I should clarify... this is PvP.  PvE, I agree... as a shadow priest I never really die unless I really stick my neck out.

The times I was owned recently was by a 'lock (duh) - even fear ward only gets you so far there - and a druid.. but now that I think of it, I think the druid popped me when I was engaged with a mob and low on health/mana.

Witty banter not included.
Sogrinaugh
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 13, 2007, 07:41:46 PM

You guys that are so discouraging him from leveling a paladin, i wonder if we are playing the same game?

The days of hte paladin not being able to break an egg are gone.  My shaman is by no means near the pinnacle of gear in wow, but she has 4120 hp, which isn't horrible.  HoJ followed by crusader/autoattack + judge (plz no SoC proc >_<) fucking hurts.  i have been dropped to less then 20% hp during the HoJ in a 1v1.  That is quickly followed with a repentance (so that i can't NS and the paladin can let his autoattack refresh and crusader strike cooldown finish) then im dead.

BTW, the paladin in question was using a welfare mace, he hadn't gotten his GM claymore yet.

Anyway, as to the combo's you were talking about:

I had quite a good time duoing with a priest from 54ish to 60 on my lock.  The synergy of shadoweaving/misery/etc isn't really evident in general leveling.  2 characters of any class and any spec will generally kill a normal world mob to fast for crap like shadoweaving to matter much.  It is nice in instances.

If you are looking for the ultimate duo combo you really can't go wrong with a lock and priest, as others have mentioned.  Her fearkiting and dots will be super-fueled by your heals, since as she runs low on mana and life taps, you can effortlessly fill her back up.  Some combination of holy/disc would probably be more powerful then shadow in such a duo (power as expressed in ease and speed with which you make experience/time), but if you dont enjoy it then wats the point, and you have already stated you don't enjoy being a healbot.  However (and i wish this advice had been given me when i was leveling my priest) please, regarless of your spec and inclination, GET HEALING FOCUS.  2 point talent at the base of the holy tree, any spec can squeeze it in and it benefits every single type of gameplay.  70% chane to not have your heals interrupted is house.  This talent should consist of your first 2 talent points, having heals interrupted is extremely annoying, pve or pvp.

If you, in your heart of hearts, really do not wish to heal in terms of the primary thing your character does and its primary strength, i'd recommend retadin.  Simply because the "base" paladin big heal, untalented, is still fairly efficient and powerful.  This means you can be almost all ret and still fill your lock back up after she taps down.  Cleanse is extremely good.  While leveling/question, instances, pvp, etc, cleanse is just fucking hot.  Frost nova?  Fuck you.  Annoying -35 to all stats disease from a mob that last A HALF FUCKING HOUR, fuck you.  Crippling poison, viper sting?  Fuck you.  Sheep?  Fuck you.

Then their is the crowd control a retadin has.  People dont make much of it, but other then iceblock and bubble, i dont think anything gets you out of repentance.  HoJ the only thing i can think of is blink, maybe a few pvp trinkets also.  In instances both moves have value to stop runners and get annoying mobs off your wife or whoever is main healing.  Both of these abilities have only 1 minute cooldowns, which means in a pve 5/10 man situation each should be up almost every pull, and in pvp they should be up almost every battle.

Other advantages to the lock/pally duo are blessing of freedom  on her, means warriors can froth at the mouth when they are unable to hamstring her, rogues crip poison does nothing.

Grinding/questing wise, its debatable if shadowpriest/lock or retadin/lock has more synergy.  I think the basic question is:
Do you enjoy a melee character more, or a caster more?  Retadin fits in for the former, shadow priest for the latter.

PvP wise, i definately think retadin/lock has more power.  Their respective CC's are not on the same deminishing returns, paladins are not easily FF'd as the healer in a pvp senario typically is, they can remove more annoying debuffs, their blessings are sick.

Finally, for your ego, is skill differential.  Their are a fuckton of sorry ass paladins.  People who are either subhuman, retarded, or have cerebal palsy and no place playing this game.  If you are even a decent pally, you will be in demand for groups, simply because people are FUCKING AMAZED you dont have brain damage.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #44 on: January 14, 2007, 03:40:47 AM

Thanks for the detailed post, though she's the one interested in playing a pally (or lock). I've already got a 60 pally which I have little interest in these days, (and yes, by virtue of simply not being retarded I was always told how great I was as a pally) so my own choices are Lock or Shadow Priest. Thanks for pointing out Healing Focus though, I really haven't looked into the talent trees in any detail yet, so as obvious as it may be later, its certainly handy to know upfront.

I'm sure I'll level the Pally to 70 over time, as regardless of anything else, he can be handy to have around as a ghetto healer when my friends might need help on a quest.

Looks like we'll try out Lock/Sp. If Lock is too complex for her or not fun she can try the pally. Or a hunter. I dunno. She doesn't like "being hit", and my own lazy preference is for non-melee classes since I played a tank for years in EQ1 and have the rogue and Pally in WoW already..

« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:54:51 AM by Azazel »

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 14, 2007, 09:39:45 AM

I'm sure I'll level the Pally to 70 over time, as regardless of anything else, he can be handy to have around as a ghetto healer when my friends might need help on a quest.

Just a FYI. I did a lot of instances in BC beta with a pally as the only healer and we did fine. Did them with a pally as a main tank too and also did fine there too. Pallies seem to change a lot in the expansion.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #46 on: January 14, 2007, 11:39:22 PM

Interesting, and good news. When I was playing the pally, I was overall considered useless as a tank, and overall considered not good enough to be a healer. Being able to do either/both (like a leather-wearing druid) will be a nice change.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 15, 2007, 12:04:24 AM

Interesting, and good news. When I was playing the pally, I was overall considered useless as a tank, and overall considered not good enough to be a healer. Being able to do either/both (like a leather-wearing druid) will be a nice change.

Just a note. It wasnt the same pally, and we had 1c respec's in beta. So I guess you'll have to pic a role and spec for it to do it. Same as a druid really.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Shadow Priest/Lock or Lock/Pally?  
Jump to: