Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:18:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: And So It Begins (WoW Releated) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: And So It Begins (WoW Releated)  (Read 22177 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: August 11, 2004, 06:19:32 PM

You're level 48 in a beta? Heh. I wouldn't even bother playing after the beta. Way to wear what little content they might have!
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #36 on: August 11, 2004, 06:25:01 PM

Quote from: Riggswolf
I've watched the videos for EQ2 and the characters looked stiff and the combat looked boring and overly reliant on autoattack. After playing a warrior with 4 taskbars needed (battle stance, defense stance, crafting, and bezerk stance) I am a little leery of an EQ-clone warrior who stands their bored out of their minds.

Me rikey sounds of this rong time.

Pointless eastern derogatroy statement aside, it's going to come down to the interactiveness of the combat mechanic to get me to decide between FFXI, EQ2, and Worlds of Warcraft.   (Yes, I'm playing Star Wars Galaxies here, but obviously it's not for the gameplay so much as the broad reaching consiquences.)   (City of Heroes also has very good interactive combat, but I found the soloability of it actually shot it's social interaction in the shoot.)

EQ2 does look like it will at least have multiple mob engagement, where EQ1 you either had an extra warrior to stick on your adds, were capable of mezzing them, or were dead meat.

I'll get my chance to decide for myself.  WoW will eventually have an open beta, unless they change their mind.  EQ2 I'll get a shot at prior to release, with any luck.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 11, 2004, 07:29:46 PM

Quote from: schild
You're level 48 in a beta? Heh. I wouldn't even bother playing after the beta. Way to wear what little content they might have!

Lol. I have seen maybe 1/3-1/2 of the world. I've dropped alot of quests because I've outleveled them. Just on the alliance side I've seen very, very little of the Night Elf content, maybe 1/3 of the dwarf content, and perhaps 2/3 of the human content if that. I've seen none of the horde content at all.

You don't want to play WoW in the first place so why make comments about if you hit Level X in the beta you'd not play retail?

Yes. I'm level 48. In one class. On one race. And your point is? The "little content" comment is so off base I don't know where to start. WoW at this point has more content than most games launch with.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #38 on: August 11, 2004, 07:33:30 PM

Quote from: Riggswolfe

Lol. I have seen maybe 1/3-1/2 of the world. I've dropped alot of quests because I've outleveled them.

Can you go back and do them?  Will the difficulty of the quest scale w/ your level if you do?

Edit=Quotes are hard.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39 on: August 11, 2004, 09:13:34 PM

Quote from: MrHat

Can you go back and do them?

If you cancel a quest you can go back and do it later though some quests are bugged right now and won't let you.

Will the difficulty of the quest scale w/ your level if you do?

No, it's not like CoH's indoor missions where the mobs (except bosses) spawn at a level relative to the level of the mission owner.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 12, 2004, 06:56:08 AM

Quote from: Trippy
No, it's not like CoH's indoor missions where the mobs (except bosses) spawn at a level relative to the level of the mission owner.

Well, non-named bosses spawn at relative level as well, but keep in mind that a level X Lieutenant cons as a level X+1 Minion, and a level X Boss as a Level X + 2 Minion. That is, if the Minions con white, Lieutenants will con yellow and Bosses orange, even if their stated level number is the same. This is apparently to account for higher hit points and abilities.

There is also the problem with front- and rear-loaded missions, where the first mobs will either be much lower or higher than "normal", and the other way around at the end of the mission.

But what do I care, I've canceled anyway. :)

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 12, 2004, 08:06:20 AM

That said, a group of 4, me included, took on the hardest Mob currently in the game and won last night. Group was a warrior (me), a priest, a mage, and a druid. So maybe it's the mentality of the players (alot of whom come from EQ) more than the content itself that is forcing this group dynamic.

I have never fought it myself, but have a hard time believing you took out a 60+ mob like Razelikh or even Antu'sul with 4 people and a level 48 warrior.  Maybe if you abuse the hell out of certain soon-to-be-nerfed tactics.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #42 on: August 12, 2004, 09:14:14 PM

Quote from: schild

Because unlike other game, that are work to get a little content. WoW is fun. It ius enjoyable to play, the same sort of way a singleplayer RPG is fun to play.

That is really all I can say. WoW is fun, not a second job.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 13, 2004, 03:21:01 AM

Quote from: El Gallo

I have never fought it myself, but have a hard time believing you took out a 60+ mob like Razelikh or even Antu'sul with 4 people and a level 48 warrior.  Maybe if you abuse the hell out of certain soon-to-be-nerfed tactics.

Combat drinking? Yep. That we did. It was EXTREMELY close a time or two and we all used our various long recharge emergency type abilities but we pulled it off. Mostly due to the druid's player. He told me literally where to stand. And no, it wasn't a 60+ mob, it was Eranikus in the Sunken Temple. (Which to my knowledge is the hardest mob currently in the game. I could be wrong though).

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 13, 2004, 03:23:33 AM

Quote from: Morphiend

Because unlike other game, that are work to get a little content. WoW is fun. It ius enjoyable to play, the same sort of way a singleplayer RPG is fun to play.

Morphiend hit the nail on the head. It's just...fun. Sure there is only a limited selection of quests, but they are saying they'll do some kind of monthly update (akin to AC). Whether or not they do remains to be seen but I hope so. Also, there are interesting things in game like the Dark Portal (which I saw today before being chased away by a small group of high level demons warriors). Supposedly in the live game a large group of warlock players can open that portal and go to...umm..damn forgot the name of the world. Someone more up on their lore can fill it in.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 13, 2004, 05:00:37 AM

Quote from: Morphiend

Morphiend hit the nail on the head. It's just...fun. Sure there is only a limited selection of quests, but they are saying they'll do some kind of monthly update (akin to AC). Whether or not they do remains to be seen but I hope so. Also, there are interesting things in game like the Dark Portal (which I saw today before being chased away by a small group of high level demons warriors). Supposedly in the live game a large group of warlock players can open that portal and go to...umm..damn forgot the name of the world. Someone more up on their lore can fill it in.

Sounds like EQ planes. "Unlock" it or port up or... you get the idea. Interesting, but not terribly different. Not that I was expecting something different. I think the fun in WoW is coming more from the fact that it's a new world, new lore and new original areas to explore. It's that feeling we all had when we first played EQ. As to the monthly updates that are being "promised", well, let's just hope they hold up to it. I can remember when EQ promised the same and I rarely, if ever, saw an event in that game. But then again, I shouldn't compare to that because Blizzard is a different company. Monthly content takes a fair amount of work. I hope they have a crew specifically for it. Then again, the monthly updates could just be tiny. Bah. Too many unknowns. Will just have to wait for release and then hold off on playing for 6 months to see how it all pans out.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 13, 2004, 08:11:35 AM

Yeah, there are tougher mobs than Eriankus, Razelikh and that drake in the blasted lands come to mind.  Have not read about anyone killing that drake yet.  Anyway, that's a nitpick, nice kill on Eriankus :)

New info-dump here, not much new or suprising though:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=197451&p=1#post197451

We were surprised to find out that some of you still had questions about the game. Just kidding; we weren’t really surprised. The dev. team is working hard to prepare the next beta patch, but we did manage to snag some time with EnoYls, who provided the bulk of the answers below. Thanks go out to everyone who helped put together this Q&A, and thanks to you all for bringing up some good topics for discussion.

What should players expect in the World of Warcraft end-game? That is, is there an end-game for casual gamers as well as power gamers, small guilds, groups of friends, large guilds, etc.?

New content will be continuously added into the game and players can always expect to see new events and things for them to do and achieve in the game. Players that do eventually hit the level cap will have the option to participate in a variety of end-game content, such as:

Individual players can work toward a hero class.

The PvP System will be more advanced than it is today -- including the addition of rewards.

Guilds will have an extensive amount of raid content available to them with many zones and "uber" bosses to defeat.

How much of the world, including dungeons, is unlocked and available to testers today? What is the end-of-beta goal that the developers want to see for released/tested content?

With the next patch, we will be raising the level cap to level 55 and we will be opening up the corresponding zones and dungeons to accommodate characters of that level. We have almost finished all the adventuring zones for characters up to level 60, and we only have a few more outdoor zones and dungeons to go. We are also adding "raid" content to the game (epic encounters that take several groups to defeat); however, while we intend to have a great deal of this content, we will only beta test a small amount and reserve the rest for discovery by players on release.

Will there be any special areas in the game that require a lot of effort before they can be entered?

Yes, there is actually a full spectrum of areas that will challenge players and require them to exert some (or a lot of) effort in order to gain access to them. By "full spectrum" we mean that we intend to have areas that are challenging for casual gamers and some that will even test the hardcore "power gamers'" abilities.

The Scarlet Monastery is an example of a quest area that requires a small amount of effort to unlock, as players merely need to find a key to gain access to the more advanced parts of the Monastery. Conversely, opening the Dark Portal is an example of a very difficult and epic quest that would require lots of effort on the part of many Warlocks to complete.

Does Blizzard have a team for designing world events, role-playing content, etc.?

We do have a world event team that will be in charge of maintaining and adding to the calendar of events that will span across the world. World of Warcraft is structured to have world events, contests and other social events regularly so that events can be experienced by all players. The event system, and the world event team that will run it, will ensure that players will always have something to do beyond the quests and activities that players participate in on a day-to-day basis. We don't want to tip our hand just yet, but you can look forward to celebrating real-world and Azeroth-based holidays, world events like having a Human zeppelin raid The Crossroads, worldwide fishing contests and much, much more!

What is the target average number of players going to be on retail servers?

The concurrency rate is currently planned to be around 2000-2500 players at peak times. There won't be a maximum amount of players that are allowed to "live" on a server, but this is the amount of characters we expect to actually be in the world at any given time.

Will there be a role-playing server at retail (one that will have a more strict role-playing and behavior etiquette)?

We do not currently have plans to incorporate this in retail, but we'll continue to evaluate demand and see if it warrants the creation of role-playing servers.

Will there be more options for character customization in the future -- to include, more faces, hairstyles, maybe weight/height, and even some rare armor recipes that have variable ingredients to modify the color (different dyes)?

We don't have a significant number of additions in mind, but we will occasionally be adding new hairstyles, different faces and other customization details to the character-creation screen as we get closer to launch. As for apparel and armor, there will be a very large variety of pieces that can be collected, and we're continually adding new pieces, but there will not be an option to dye armor to change its color.

Will maximum guild size be limited in World of Warcraft? Has this size been decided yet?

We're still evaluating whether or not we want to put a cap on the amount of members any one guild can have.

Will there be secret and hard-to-find pets and mounts that are rarer than others?

Yes. =)

Will there be pet and mount emotes?

It's not likely that we will be able to add this in time for launch, but it is on our wish list of things that we'd like to add as time permits.

Is the skill system going to be revised in the future?

Yes, you'll see changes to the skill system not in the upcoming patch, but in the one after that.

Will letters sent in the mail system be able to hold more than one item/stack?

This is actually one of the topics that we're discussing, as a number of players have brought it to our attention. We don't have an answer to this question yet, but we do feel that it is a positive idea that we want to incorporate into the game -- one of a few "polish" tweaks that would be a positive addition to the overall feel of the game. It may or may not make it into the game in time for ship, but we do encourage players to send more feedback about changes like this that they'd really like to see.

Will there be top hats to go with the tuxes already in game?

They haven't been made yet, but we plan on getting them into the game soon, hopefully by launch.

Are there going to be any rules put in place against corpse camping?

We're currently discussing what sort of polices and procedures we would like to incorporate in the game to keep instances of griefing like this at a minimum. We'll continue to observe and balance how the PvP aspect of the game works, and we will incorporate changes in the game or policies as needed.

Are more riddle/puzzle quests coming?

We do plan on adding a few more riddle/puzzle quests into the game, in addition to the ones that are already available, such as Cortello's Riddle or some of the other quests like Captain Sander’s Treasure Map and Sweet Amber. If you would like to see more quests of this type, or any other type, please be sure to /suggest them.

With there be more weather effects than the random lightning by the Dark Portal?

Yes, we do plan on adding more of these types of effects. This is on our list of things to do, but we don't have an ETA at this time.

Will items produced by the Horde trade-skillers look different from those created by Alliance members when the final product is released?

Trade skill items with the same name will not be different across factions, but there already are (and will be more) items that are specific to the Alliance and the Horde. For example, Horde players cannot make Ironforge Breastplates, and Alliance players cannot make any of the Barbaric Iron Armor pieces.

Will we be able to untrain talents in the retail product?

In the upcoming beta patch, we plan to allow characters to untrain in talents freely in order to better help balance the talents. However, we feel that investing in talents is a commitment that defines and distinguishes one's character and should not be allowed to be changed freely. Although we do not have a structure for how this will work in retail as of yet, we do intend to have a penalty to prevent players from talent-hopping to suit situations on the fly.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 13, 2004, 10:43:56 PM

Quote from: El Gallo
Yeah, there are tougher mobs than Eriankus, Razelikh and that drake in the blasted lands come to mind.  Have not read about anyone killing that drake yet.  Anyway, that's a nitpick, nice kill on Eriankus :)

Well, as I said in my reply to Schild's sarcasm, I've not come close to seeing everything in the game.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: And So It Begins (WoW Releated)  
Jump to: