Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:20:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Second server coming online tomorrow: Brandywine. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Second server coming online tomorrow: Brandywine.  (Read 10268 times)
Xilren's Twin

on: December 12, 2006, 12:15:55 PM

Second server coming online tomorrow: Brandywine.

BTW, when you run the patcher you can click on the community link at the top to get to the beta boards without needing to login securely?

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 12:40:52 PM

Can that PLEASE be restricted to legacy beta testers? My ideal world would be one server for noise and the other for signal. Let Arwen be the place for all of the brand new stress testers to repeat the same problems and issues the veterans already have countless times. That lets Brandywine be the place for those veterans to go explose the mid- and late-game content from rolling characters to that level.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 12:52:51 PM

Can that PLEASE be restricted to legacy beta testers? My ideal world would be one server for noise and the other for signal. Let Arwen be the place for all of the brand new stress testers to repeat the same problems and issues the veterans already have countless times. That lets Brandywine be the place for those veterans to go explose the mid- and late-game content from rolling characters to that level.

What happens to all of the older testers that spent their time testing levels 1-10 on a number of different races/classes?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 12:55:12 PM

What happens to all of the older testers that spent their time testing levels 1-10 on a number of different races/classes?

I would imagine that DQ means "separate the servers based on ability to auto level to 20." (ETA -- Base it on account age)  That would include those testers too.  However, I really shouldn't speak for DQ. 

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 05:50:52 PM

But you can speak for me when you've got it right :)

That's what I meant. Sorry for confusion. I just think it'd be appropriate to separate mid-/late- term testers from the more general (and way more numerous) bang-on-the-server Stress testers. This way the type of info Turbine gets is specific to the type of player doing the testing, per server. Both get data-mined, but the Brandywine folks get priority to their comments or something.

And i don't speak for myself in either group. I've got so limited time of late I've barely been able to log in. That'll change this week though. Finally.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 09:21:13 PM

rolleyes

I think a mix on both allows for latency issues to be lessened, and allows for dynamics not found with everyone on the same server.

Setting up a big boys only server would only piss off the portion of the testing base who are new to the project, and based on the responses on the boards, in game and around here actually doing the majority of the testing right now. The product is fresh to them, and they're more apt to stay involved for the time being.

Sure, there's a number of idiots, but you're not telling me everyone in the first groups were Mensa members, are you?

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 10:38:32 PM

I concur.  I actually was pm'd the other day and cussed out due to my prices on the AH.  When I explained that he did not need to buy what I had posted he returned with something along with "You fucking kid, its AH why are you bothering to make a profit?"   It got to me for some reason and I logged out.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 10:48:24 PM

Well, how extreme did you take it exactly? It's just a beta test. It'd be more ideal to help people move through the game as easily as possible.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 10:54:21 PM

Well, how extreme did you take it exactly? It's just a beta test. It'd be more ideal to help people move through the game as easily as possible.

Pretty extreme.  That did not give a new beta tester an excuse to cuss at me (multiple times).  I was tooling with the Auction House.  Hell, AH is what makes the economy worthwhile, so I feel zero guilt if I make money off it (part of testing is playing as you would when it goes live). 

It was the final thing to get me to log off that night.  /ooc was full of asshats arguing about Copper Ore and some other asstardation.  I got the FOH mod for Civ 4; it salvaged my soul.  I am debating on picking up Diablo 2 tomorrow night to fill the void (never played it).

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 11:13:53 PM

I don't know, man. I wouldn't have sent you messages like he did, but I still would have been pissed.

Not to say it's lame to make money at all, but since you admit you took it to the extreme, then I can't really blame the guy. A game has only so much time to get things right. Player induced cockblocking should be kept to a minimum imho.

Besides, the economy isn't something that needs to be "tested". It's the tools that interact with it that need to be tested.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 11:22:37 PM

Besides, the economy isn't something that needs to be "tested". It's the tools that interact with it that need to be tested.
Actually the economy does need to be tested and they have been doing that (things are a lot more expensive now) but that's hard to do at the moment since there's so much money being generated by the auto-levelling.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 05:15:37 AM

The signal to noise ratio is starting to get to me. Beautiful game but there's been a Guild Wars level of fucking idiocy going on lately. The beauty, I suppose, is that there's CONSTANT crowing about how much better the community is than WoW's, how anyone who plays WoW is an asshole kid... and I put up with less garbage on live WoW than in LOTRO beta.

Seriously, the only thing worse than a purple obsessed kid is a bunch of namby pamby Tolkien nerds with five inch long neck beards. Fuck these guys. Don't make a profit on the AH... what a bunch of crap. And they're arguing about whether duels should be called duels FOR A WEEK.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 05:17:55 AM

Damn guys, just chill. I mean, didn't most of you just start playing this recently yourselves? Why harp on about the "new people"?

As for the economy, again, it's a beta. Not 2+ years into WoW with inflation and Chinese gold farming. Price accordingly. No one even prices things expensively on live servers when games go gold...

Your shit is going to get wiped anyways.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 05:35:15 AM by Stray »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 06:34:51 AM

But that's really the point isn't it. Why does anyone care so much, whether seller or buyer?

Price whatever the heck you want. Nobody needs to buy it. The "economy" is more supply/demand as it pertains to the game world than it is about the inter-player commerce anyway. AH prices are merely one indicator of collective wealth, tied to the rate at which new money enters the world from the game. It's the prices set by NPCs which are the important ones.

If some lazy puke doesn't want to pay an exhorbitant price to sate their desire for a 0.1% upgrade in some stat they don't even really know enough about yet anyway, too bad.

And I say "lazy puke" only in reference to folks who jam the social channels with complaints about prices, on characters less than a week old, and less than level 10. Come on. The kid who bitched at Cheddar was a jerk.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 07:19:20 AM

Also, I see it this way.  It took me about an hour to get those 20 copper ingots.  Why should I spend an hour making your beta testing easier (and thus shortcutting you past certain conent)?  And I sure as hell am not going to hook someone up if they come at me swinging.  Before the wipe I had a wonderful trading program going on with around 5 people; basically we had a system of give and take where everyone felt awarded/useful.  Cannot get that now due to /ooc making my soul weep.  God forbid I ever get some sorta channel powers; they need a full time to start enforcing shit. 

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 07:30:58 AM

Fuck, I *AM* one of the new people. It's not so terribly much about new as about what the community is going to be. We're talking about THE geek IP. More than Star Wars, more than Trek, more than anything. So you've got this sudden confluence of doods who just want to play a fun game and type in cell phone speak with people who feel superior because they can decline Elvish verbs properly.

Write this down right now: when it's all said and done with LOTRO will have the most dysfunctional, bizarre, self destructive community in MMOG history. It's going to be precisely because of that confluence between standard nerds and hardcore beardos. I guarantee you that the guy who insisted the AH prices be lowered wasn't the former but the latter: he's testing a world he's imagined being in since he was eight and, goddamit, he DESERVES a break. Does Cheddar speak Sindarin and walk around with fake hobbit feet? No? Then he better not FRONT with the real fans.

It's not enough to make me stop testing and playing around with it (I think there's too good a framework for a nice diku to stop entirely) but the backbiting and rampant, blatant nerd rage about every little thing in all the chats is enough to make me curtail my time a bit.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 08:04:54 AM

when it's all said and done with LOTRO will have the most dysfunctional, bizarre, self destructive community in MMOG history. It's going to be precisely because of that confluence between standard nerds and hardcore beardos. I guarantee you that the guy who insisted the AH prices be lowered wasn't the former but the latter: he's testing a world he's imagined being in since he was eight and, goddamit, he DESERVES a break. Does Cheddar speak Sindarin and walk around with fake hobbit feet? No? Then he better not FRONT with the real fans.

I'm going to have to agree with this, fun times lie ahead.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 08:09:11 AM

Write this down right now: when it's all said and done with LOTRO will have the most dysfunctional, bizarre, self destructive community in MMOG history. It's going to be precisely because of that confluence between standard nerds and hardcore beardos. I guarantee you that the guy who insisted the AH prices be lowered wasn't the former but the latter: he's testing a world he's imagined being in since he was eight and, goddamit, he DESERVES a break. Does Cheddar speak Sindarin and walk around with fake hobbit feet? No? Then he better not FRONT with the real fans.

So are you saying it would be a good idea for turbine to go live with some servers labels Role Playing focused and enforce standard of behaviour on such?

We've seen that before.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 08:12:10 AM

There was some guy during one of the earlier phases of testing that was bitching and moaning about all the "errors" Turbine had made in recreating Middle Earth like getting the colors of Tom Bombadil clothes wrong. Most of us put him on ignore when he wouldn't shut up about it.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 08:12:58 AM

I am officially stating that I WILL NOT be joining any RP servers ever again.  The biggest assholes in the world populate them; both Frod0 and kewldood.  Even if you try and RP and play your character as you see fit it is not enough.  And god forbid you do not say thee.  

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 08:33:26 AM

There was some guy during one of the earlier phases of testing that was bitching and moaning about all the "errors" Turbine had made in recreating Middle Earth like getting the colors of Tom Bombadil clothes wrong. Most of us put him on ignore when he wouldn't shut up about it.

The guy's name was Methalan and he was a comedy genius (or had serious mental issues), here's his other thread about door colour.

linky

Quote from: Methalan
Edit: :sighs:

Ok apparently I cannot post pictures.

Well I'll just tell you what's wrong. Bilbo's house is supposed to have a large green door. It's in the first few pages of the hobbit.

The lore is absolutely shot out of the window in this game, and I am sincerely apalled. There is absolutely no polite way to state what is going on here. The ball has not only been dropped, but it has been drop kicked out of the stadium.

As pretty as Bree-town is (and it is very pretty).

As pretty as the landscapes are.

As cool as the combat system is.

As nice as the items are.

The lore is absolutely worthless.

Now I just found the most glaring mistake of lore out of the whole business, and be prepared for tomorrow when my book comes in and I post everything about Goldberry and T.B.

For now let's look at the quest:
Chapter 7: Horn call of Buckland

Crickhollow is almost due southeast of the Buckland Gate, south of Lenglinn's camp.

In order to Determine the movements of the Nazgul, Lenglinn has asked you to investigate the home of a hobbit named Baggins.

Background

The Horn-call of Buckland had alerted Lenglinn to the Nazgul's presence there. The Ranger has asked you to investigate the aftermath of their incursion.

The Ranger basically told me to go to the house surrounded by very high hedges, whereupon I meet Fredegar Bloger.

Now either this is Bloger's home, and the quest is wrong (because it says it's Baggins' home), or this is the Baggins' residence.

If it is the former, then the only change needs to be made is the quest description. Because Lenglinn both before sending you there, and receiving you upon your exit seems to honestly believe you were just in Bag-end.

If it is the latter, then I seriously suggest that Turbine immediately takes stock of the Lore for this game.

Here is a screen shot I took. I do not believe I need to tell anyone what is wrong with the picture. If you have read the Hobbit you will imediately notice the fundamental flaws haunting this game. He then tells you to go back to Strider, because Frodo has already left. This means that the timeline is also wrong in the fact that prior to this chapter, Strider refers to 4 hobbits, he did not know about the four hobbtis until they reached Tom Bombadil. This means that Strider is definitely incorrect in the previous chapter.

Also, just to make sure everyone knows: Bloger is not a Baggins. Bolger is a completely different family.

Even if he had been right he would have been mad, but turns out he was at the wrong house.

I had to post AGAIN

Dear Meth,

When Frodo's HOUSE is attacked by the Ringwraith, it's the HOUSE HE MOVED INTO AFTER SELLING BAG END TO LOBELIA!

He MOVES from Bag End (green door) TO the HOUSE that the Wraith breaks into!

BAG END IS OWNED BY LOBELIA NOW! THATS WHERE THE GREEN DOOR IS, THAT IS BAG END, silly boy! Where Bilbo lived, where Frodo lived, yes! BUT

BUT in the BOOKS, years have passed, Bilbo is in Rivendell, Frodo, with warning from Gandalf, SELLS BAG END TO LOBELIA AND MOVES TO A HOUSE CLOSER TO THE BRANDYBROOK BRIDGE!

THAT is the house that Fatty Bolger is at! NOT BAG END!

THat is the place where the wraiths track down Frodo (even though he is gone by that time) and break into!

THEY ARE TWO SEPARATE AREAS you silly silly BOY!

BAG END has the GREEN DOOR, BUT the place your talking about is NOT Bag End! It's the House Frodo moves to AFTER selling BAg END to Lobelia! THATS why it has no green door! It's not the same PLACE~!

WHY aren't you actually listening to what everyone has been saying?

...go get the book, search for a bit...you will see.

The only thing that got 'owned' here, is well...YOU.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at this silliness.

noVUS, pass the popcorn!

Kyoteh

I read the whole thread at work one day, Methalan is my all time favourite LOTRO weirdo.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 08:43:50 AM

I"m thinking there was more meth in methalan than his name alone...

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 08:45:25 AM

I'm saying that an RP enforced server isn't going to help a whole lot because the majority of their player base are going to be the beardos. This isn't like WoW where the RPers are in the minority and can be shunted off to a handful of servers where they can have furry sex in Deeprun Tram.

Let's look at the two hot topic of the past week:

1) The forums are awash with kvetching about duelling. It's goddamned everywhere: is it in keeping with the lore, it should be called sparring, who are these nasty ruffians who break my immersion by enjoying it... this isn't A busy topic it's THE busy topic. Subpar crafting system? Why talk about that when we could have fifty threads about Dilbo stabbing Baragorn in the Bree square?

2) In OOC chat things keep going to whether it's LFG or LFF (looking for fellowship) with the majority of people that I've seen vocalizing that anyone saying LFG is a WoW loving retard who doesn't know his lore and, therefore, should go back to those OTHER games.

Now, close your eyes for a second and try to visualize the type of guy who gets worked up over such trivial shit. Does he wear a shirt with an air brushed wolf on it, have a tangly neck beard, keep a leather bound copy of the Silmarilliion at his side and wear a pewter Seal of Solomon necklace? Because the guy I visualize does and he's not the sort of guy that I'd give the time of day in real life. That's the guy I'm slowly starting to feel is going to be a more significant portion of the player base than in the other games I've played and I'm really not terribly interested in dealing with him very often.

Not, of course, that there's any solution to that. I think it's endemic to the license. I'm just saying that for a semi-nerd like me it may end up not being the game for me mainly because of the player base and I can't say that for any other MMO I've played. I'm paying very close attention to the way the community goes in the next few months.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 09:13:07 AM

I am officially stating that I WILL NOT be joining any RP servers ever again.  The biggest assholes in the world populate them; both Frod0 and kewldood.  Even if you try and RP and play your character as you see fit it is not enough.  And god forbid you do not say thee. 

Oh, come on.  Are you seriously telling me that the chance to annoy and frustrate people like Methalan isn't even a wee bit tempting?  I don't believe thee.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 09:26:59 AM

Enter Dildo Teabaggins.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 11:55:19 AM

Gidget the dwarf will be reborn.

The player community - maybe it's just the testing community? - is awesome, and don't be sure I mean that in a good way.  Certainly grieftastic!

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #26 on: December 13, 2006, 05:27:47 PM

People throw a fit about AH prices? WTF, bunch of fucking nublers.

I haven't been into this game for more than a month now (semi-dead video card), and from the sounds of it, I'm not missing a whole lot.

Also, lol @ the imagery of the wolf-graphic t-shirt.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #27 on: December 13, 2006, 06:57:53 PM

Oh, come on.  Are you seriously telling me that the chance to annoy and frustrate people like Methalan isn't even a wee bit tempting?  I don't believe thee.

I guess because it caught me offguard, from out of the blue.  He just kept coming at me over something inconsequential (IMO).  Somehow he got my goat in a manner that has never happened before; I think it is build up from other annoyances (official forums becoming worthless, /ooc, people in general).  I have still been having a good time and have adventured with a few decent people, so its not all bad. 

I really do not have a righteous leg to stand on.  I have acted the fool plenty of times within the MMO sphere.  I think it was just the sudden assault of tripling the beta players.

WayAbvPar

Reply #28 on: December 14, 2006, 09:40:45 AM

I think the 5th time you responded to him with 'cry more n00b' he would shut up. Or you could ignore him  evil

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 14, 2006, 05:49:53 PM

Wow, the game has enough people playing that there's an asshole problem? It must have come a long way since the last time I played, which was umm, in alpha. Whats the groupthink, is LOTRO going to succeed now?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #30 on: December 14, 2006, 06:06:11 PM

There are assholes everywhere.  Every time I turn around I see one!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #31 on: December 14, 2006, 06:25:26 PM

Wow, the game has enough people playing that there's an asshole problem? It must have come a long way since the last time I played, which was umm, in alpha. Whats the groupthink, is LOTRO going to succeed now?

I think the latest general feel is that if it spends enough time in beta, and the rate of positive changes stays the same, then it'll be good.  If it keeps some of the "beta" features (fast xp from quests...so much so that "grinding" mobs is dumb, and the latest "autolevel to 20 or 30 for older testers") in some form, that's even better.  It would also be huge if the newbie monsters were wussy goblins and maybe a few orcs instead of wolves and bears and spiders and stuff.  Or maybe that's just my sentiment. 

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #32 on: December 14, 2006, 07:05:20 PM

Yes.  By my estimates, judging by the amount of updating and increase in dev presence, I estimate game should be shipworthy by March.  Just a guess, though :)

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 19, 2006, 04:56:04 AM

There are assholes everywhere.  Every time I turn around I see one!

Stop standing in crowds of naked tall people.

Seriously though, I'm on Brandwine now.  No assholes yet, but I'm really looking!
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 01, 2007, 11:15:59 PM

2) In OOC chat things keep going to whether it's LFG or LFF (looking for fellowship) with the majority of people that I've seen vocalizing that anyone saying LFG is a WoW loving retard who doesn't know his lore and, therefore, should go back to those OTHER games.

It must really burn their chops that the channel name is LFG in the chat box  too.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Second server coming online tomorrow: Brandywine.  
Jump to: