Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:40:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: M. Night Shyamalan's The Village 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: M. Night Shyamalan's The Village  (Read 2715 times)
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

on: July 31, 2004, 01:31:52 AM

I will endeavour to review this movie without spoilers.  If someone wants to talk about spoilers maybe they can create another thread?  Anyway, I just came back from seeing the movie tonight, and thought Id pass along my thoughts to others who are thinking of seeing it.

Firstly, it was not the movie I expected to see.  The movie has been marketing primarily as a horror movie, although with the usual Shyamalan twists and turns.  Well, it isn't.  I could count the number of truly scary moments in the movie on one hand, and most of them are fairly brief "surprise!" moments with the accompanying blast of music.  I wouldn't even classify this movie as a suspense thrieller.  It's really a drama, with a sci-fi twist.

The first half of the movie is boring, plodding, and relatively uneventful.  It plays like an artsy period drama.  Be prepared and be patient.  About this time you're going to start saying to yourself, "What the fuck?  I paid $9.50 to see this??"

The 3rd quarter of the movie starts a series of twists and turns, which while interesting, left me neither interested or confused.  Insted I was left feeling like the movie had lost itself, the plot meandering all over the place in search of some actual significance.  Syamalan seemed to be lost and just throwing stuff up on the screen to keep you guessing.

The final quarter of the movie is the payoff.  Multiple secrets are revealed, and it is cool, but I am left wondering if the payoff was actually worth sitting through the first part of the movie.  I can say I didn't guess the secrets but they were on my mental list of possible explanations as to what was going on.

The acting is generally good throughout, although Sigourney Weaver's talent seems wasted as she has very little dialogue, and half the time while watching William Hurt I kept imagining Kevin Costner in his role instead.  I don't have anything against Hurt as an actor, but sometimes he has trouble conveying convincing emotion on screen, and I couldn't help but think Costner could have sold it better.  (I know a lot of people think Costner can't act, either, so you make take this comment as more dammning than I intended it.)

The movie's editing is a bit sloppy and there are obviously some cut scenes that will be put into a DVD version.  I got the impression the movie had been test screened and cut in length because audiences felt it took too long for the movie to get interesting, and I'd have to agree.

Ultimately, it's hard for me to recommend this movie if you're looking for a night out at the movies with popcorn and fun and excitement.  If you want that, go see _I, Robot_ instead.  _The Village_ is a much more cerebral movie, and ultimately uses metaphor to convey a message about today's society.  Hardcore Shyamalan fans will probably still enjoy it, but for the rest of you, I'd recommend waiting until it comes out on DVD or cable.

Bruce
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 03:58:35 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
The first half of the movie is boring, plodding, and relatively uneventful. It plays like an artsy period drama. Be prepared and be patient. About this time you're going to start saying to yourself, "What the fuck? I paid $9.50 to see this??"

Uhm, not familiar much with the works of M. Night Shymalamalackydoodaa are you? Other than that, I'll comment after I see it tomorrow or sunday.

P.S. The more the over testosteroned Sigourney Weaver keeps her maw shut, the happier I am.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 07:04:26 AM

Well, just as a point of reference, I loved The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable and didin't find either of those slow in the beginning.  Signs, ehh, not as good.  I have not seen Praying With Anger or Wide Awake.  I did see Stuard Little, but that doesn't really count; he just wrote some of the screenplay.

Bruce
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 07:17:00 PM

I thought all of his previous movies were total crap. This one is no exception. I guessed the ending from just the previews. Suffice it to say it's disappointing, although I suppose the ride was tolerable enough. Save the money and rent it.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 10:25:26 PM

Do not mock Ms. Weaver.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 07:01:45 AM

Yeah, I have been told the 'surprise' ending for this one and was confused, because that is what I just naturally ASSUMED from watching the previews.  It is like seeing a spiderman movie and the surprise ending is that the movie has spiderman in it.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 08:28:59 AM

I don't know anyone who "assumed" the ending based on the previews.  Like I said, it was on my list of "possibles" but there were plenty of other endings that could have been used.

I think the first plot "twist" was the far more obvious one.

Bruce
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 10:37:58 AM

This movie had just about the most obvious plot "twists" that I have ever seen in a movie.  Gah it would have been better as a horror film than what they made it into.

Edit

I had told a friend the night before what I feared the movie would do for plot twists and it turned out exactally as I expected which is just really really sad. The movie is also curious in that there is no reason to ever see it a second time. I watched 6th sense and unbreakable a couple times each but man there is just no point at all in ever watching the village a second time.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 01:58:25 PM

I was so disappointed with the film I almost walked out when I figured out the plot.

It is well executed - but I was expecting a horror... it has greatly mis-represented itself.  The plot twist is so great in reality the audience that would enjoy the first half of the film is not the same as the one that would be pleased with second half.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 03:02:02 PM

The movie may have been redeemed if the plot "twist" came at the half way point and if they would have extrapolated the interaction more. The chaos and drama that could have happened would then have appealed to the audiance that likes this sort of thing.

The people who liked the movie the preview showed are not the ones who will enjoy the reality of the film.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 09:15:21 AM

Well I just saw this with the wife this weekend and we had exact opposite views. We also have different styles of movie viewing.

I usually watch a movie with my brain turned on and usually actively think about where the movie is going and what it's trying to do. I thought The Village sucked.

The wife gets into the theatre and turns her brain completely off. She thought The Village was his best movie yet.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 10:10:18 AM

Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle is teh funney.  My fiancee even liked it, especially the Wilson Phillips scene.  :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: M. Night Shyamalan's The Village  
Jump to: