Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:10:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3418181 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13895 on: April 01, 2011, 07:56:49 PM

Yeah, at least, and IF you hit the required mins. for each category through miracle or happenstance of projects.  Reality is closer to 4 years minimum before you're eligible.  3 if you're working with a group that really pushes and works with you to make sure you're skipping around on enough projects to hit all those training categories and hours.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13896 on: April 01, 2011, 08:05:05 PM

Talk about a cockblock.  Sorry bro.  That sucks.  

Edit:  did you make it to Keeneland?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13897 on: April 01, 2011, 08:14:06 PM

Next Friday, but I've got the OK from the project team lead (well, it was more a "I'm going, so you'd better be, too, because you'll be here all by yourself. You're not given the day off if you don't go.") and the wife, so yay ponies.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13898 on: April 01, 2011, 08:19:11 PM

Damn.  I haven't been back to Kentucky in 5 years.  I don't miss much about it except for the horse racing at Keeneland (and to a much lesser extent Churchill Downs) and UK basketball at Rupp.  Have a bourbon for me and I hope all your bets place well.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #13899 on: April 02, 2011, 10:23:57 AM

I'm not sure how all that compares to engineering exams, but it feels like a LOT of BS runaround.
That is pretty much the same as the engineering one.  7 exams in different subjects (Math, science, chemistry, "engineering finance" etc) plus your specialization.  Then you have a committee of 3 chosen representatives who overview your work and designs to verify that yes, you do truly know what you are doing.  And this is all 7 years after you have taken the EIT exam (Engineer In Training) which is basically the 7 test divisions taken over the course of an entire day.  I had to take the EIT to graduate my BS and prove I had passed it to opt out of the "general electrical engineering" oral exam for my masters degree (which meant they could ask anything about power electronics and pulsed power but not ask me about all sorts of random antenna theory and neural network design that I had never seen).  I even remember taking that damn test, April 20th 2002.  It was one hell of a long day.

Personally I understand why they do it for things like structural and civil engineers who design buildings, but for electrical it's mostly a showpiece that no one really cares about or an excuse for a cushy government job where you sit around and sign off on other peoples work all day and don't actually do any work yourself.  My grandfather did the Professional Engineering exam twice, once for Texas and once for Virginia and it was a ton of work.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13900 on: April 03, 2011, 05:46:57 PM

HEB had a couple of pallets of the Kosher Coke out front today, so I grabbed a bottle.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #13901 on: April 03, 2011, 05:50:32 PM

So I finally got some-what employment. Temp office job with the University of Illinois. Start tomorrow, should last a couple months. Not a permanent job, and not a perfect one, but it is work and it pays well for what it is (almost 14 an hour) and is within walking distance of my house.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13902 on: April 03, 2011, 06:22:15 PM

Sounds like a good networking opportunity (and some dough!) anyway.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #13903 on: April 03, 2011, 07:47:47 PM

Sounds like a good networking opportunity (and some dough!) anyway.

Yeah, the best part about it is that the way the University Temp agency works, they try to keep "employees" (anyone who has worked for them) employed as much as possible. The hard part is getting the first assignment, after that it is pretty much steady work for most people while looking for full-time work. The only drawback is that because of the civil service rules, temps have a maximum number of hours (900) they can work before being forced to take a 30 day break. It comes out to be 6 months on, then a 1 month un-paid vacation. But hopefully I will have found a permanent job either with the University or elsewhere by the time the 6 months is up.

This job is working for a department that might actually be interesting, American Indian Studies.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #13904 on: April 04, 2011, 06:05:40 AM

Congrats on the (temp) job, Chimpy.  Those can definitely be an in for an company, so hope it works out for you.

------------------------

So, I'm not sure what I'm missing here.  My mom helps run a bar and grill for one of my brothers.  They just started getting towel service and she was reviewing the costs and something just doesn't seem right.  They get new towels delivered every two weeks and the old towels picked up. 

First week/Start of service - 50 bar towels and 100 kitchen towels dropped off (not sure if there is any difference in kinds of towel though).  No bill.

Two weeks later - 50 bar, 100 kitchen dropped off, others picked up.  Billed for 100 bar towels, 200 kitchen towels.

Next delivery - repeat of above - 50/100 dropped off, old picked up, billed for 100 bar, 200 kithen towels.

Rinse, repeat.

Is this right or am I just missing something?  It doesn't sound right to me for some reason.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13905 on: April 04, 2011, 06:09:12 AM

Seems to me that it's only right if you get the last lot free.

Defining what the fuck counts as a 'last lot' sounds like a lot of fun...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #13906 on: April 04, 2011, 06:12:20 AM

Congrats on the (temp) job, Chimpy.  Those can definitely be an in for an company, so hope it works out for you.

------------------------

So, I'm not sure what I'm missing here.  My mom helps run a bar and grill for one of my brothers.  They just started getting towel service and she was reviewing the costs and something just doesn't seem right.  They get new towels delivered every two weeks and the old towels picked up. 

First week/Start of service - 50 bar towels and 100 kitchen towels dropped off (not sure if there is any difference in kinds of towel though).  No bill.

Two weeks later - 50 bar, 100 kitchen dropped off, others picked up.  Billed for 100 bar towels, 200 kitchen towels.

Next delivery - repeat of above - 50/100 dropped off, old picked up, billed for 100 bar, 200 kithen towels.

Rinse, repeat.

Is this right or am I just missing something?  It doesn't sound right to me for some reason.

Doesn't look right to me.

On the second delivery you are charged for that drop off and the previous one.  The bill is balanced and there is nothing owed.

On the next delivery you are charged double what you owe.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13907 on: April 04, 2011, 06:46:20 AM

Depends on their cutoff period for billing and how often you are scheduling pickup.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #13908 on: April 04, 2011, 07:30:52 AM

So, you know, I had to put one of my two dogs to sleep today.

Being an adult fucking sucks sometimes. Also, scientists need to go ahead and invent a dog immortality serum ASAP.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13909 on: April 04, 2011, 07:33:34 AM

------------------------

Rinse, repeat.

Looks like possibly what happened was the first delivery they forgot to bill him, the second they charged for the full amount and whoever was invoicing just left those numbers in. It could be them trying to fuck him and hoping he doesn't notice because the bills match up with the previous months but more likely they screwed up. Definitely contact them.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #13910 on: April 04, 2011, 07:38:35 AM

So, you know, I had to put one of my two dogs to sleep today.

Being an adult fucking sucks sometimes. Also, scientists need to go ahead and invent a dog immortality serum ASAP.

Sorry man :/ I can't have a dog myself because they don't live long enough. Not the ones I like, anyway. I refuse to go through that level of pain.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #13911 on: April 04, 2011, 07:45:42 AM

Sorry man :/ I can't have a dog myself because they don't live long enough. Not the ones I like, anyway. I refuse to go through that level of pain.
This one damn near hit 18 years. We got him when he was 10 (one of those "friends was moving and couldn't take the dog" deals). He had a long life, and the last couple of months he's just really slid downhill.

I guess what gets me is that he was mentally alert, stoic, and other than a minor case of being a bit blind and the crippling arthritis, there wasn't anything wrong with him. I kept expecting him to go in his sleep from a stroke or heart attack.

Instead, I had to decide how much pain he was in (stoic fucker. He wasn't big on whining or complaining. He could have been on fire and probably just ignored it), decide quality of life as his arthritis got worse and worse....

Still, can't say he didn't have a long and pretty happy life. And hell, he got some treats this morning that he loved and I was there with him to the end. Least I could do, you know?

But I can understand your point -- my father-in-law loves dogs. He went 40 years without one because when he was young he had like three of them in a row die young. He's got the world's biggest lab right now, whom he dotes on. Sucker looks like a tank, and even at his ideal weight would come in at 120 or so. (Like I said, big dog).
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #13912 on: April 04, 2011, 08:22:48 AM

From what I understand, 18 years is a really really good stretch for any dog, so some sort of awkward 'good on you' is called for. You gave a dog a good long life.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #13913 on: April 04, 2011, 08:26:28 AM

I absolutely love dogs but will never own one while I'm working.  I feel too guilty about the hours I work and the amount of travel that I do having a negative impact on the animal's quality of life.  Maybe I'll get one after I retire.  That way I can take it for daily walks and be home to do more than just sleep and clean.  

On a similar note, I've always been intrigued that cats tend to live longer than dogs in captivity. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13914 on: April 04, 2011, 08:48:15 AM

That's because cats think they own you, not the other way around.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13915 on: April 04, 2011, 09:06:23 AM

Heartbreak

My gastroenterologist mentioned that I might benefit from probiotics.  I do occasionally eat yogurt but I decided to do some quick research.  I found some non-yogurt probiotic foods, one of which I think is tasty while the rest seem tolerable-to-disgusting, and bought some.  My food cart looked like I lost a bet.

Sauerkraut - I was delighted to find that this is a probiotic.  I like it and everything that it stands for.
Miso - I didn't know that this contained live organisms.  I find it ranging from edible to delicious.  Bought some freeze-dried packets.
Kimchi - Korean sauerkraut, they say kindly.  My wife mentioned that the odor of kimchi this was used as punishment in a morning-talk-show game.  I then noticed that the jar warned that it might leak from pressure.
Kefir - I'm hoping this tastes like a white russian.  I didn't know what flavor to get, so I decided to get unflavored like a man.

Things I did not buy:
Natto - I didn't find this in the store.
Tempeh - I decided to leave this for Round 2.  Also I haven't determined if the "tempeh bacon" still has live fungus.

If nothing else, some of these should give me a newfound appreciation for good old greek yogurt.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #13916 on: April 04, 2011, 09:10:34 AM

I'm a big fan of tempeh - but it requires a really good soy sauce.  I'll fry up a few slices in a pan, reduce some soy over top of them, and serve it with sriracha .
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13917 on: April 04, 2011, 09:28:20 AM

I'm suspicious that the frying will kill most or all of the fungus, removing much of the usefulness.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13918 on: April 04, 2011, 09:48:30 AM

MMm.. yogurt.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13919 on: April 04, 2011, 10:28:31 AM

Heartbreak

My gastroenterologist mentioned that I might benefit from probiotics.  I do occasionally eat yogurt but I decided to do some quick research.  I found some non-yogurt probiotic foods, one of which I think is tasty while the rest seem tolerable-to-disgusting, and bought some.  My food cart looked like I lost a bet.

Sauerkraut - I was delighted to find that this is a probiotic.  I like it and everything that it stands for.
Miso - I didn't know that this contained live organisms.  I find it ranging from edible to delicious.  Bought some freeze-dried packets.
Kimchi - Korean sauerkraut, they say kindly.  My wife mentioned that the odor of kimchi this was used as punishment in a morning-talk-show game.  I then noticed that the jar warned that it might leak from pressure.
Kefir - I'm hoping this tastes like a white russian.  I didn't know what flavor to get, so I decided to get unflavored like a man.

Things I did not buy:
Tempeh - I decided to leave this for Round 2.  Also I haven't determined if the "tempeh bacon" still has live fungus.

If nothing else, some of these should give me a newfound appreciation for good old greek yogurt.
Fermented foods often have live bacteria as you've probably figured out by now. However, you need to pay attention to what you are getting and how you use that stuff. E.g. that freeze dried miso may very well not have any living bacteria in it. And even if it does, if you toss it into boiling water you'll likely kill them all. Unpasteurized miso that you mix in after the liquid has cooled a bit is the way to go if you want maximum bacteria ingestion.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13920 on: April 04, 2011, 10:33:17 AM

Heartbreak

I take one of THESE everyday. Works well and I don't have to worry as much about eating yogurt all the time. I think it's about $8 for a months supply at Target or Walmart.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13921 on: April 04, 2011, 10:57:43 AM

Seems to have an edge over kimchi.

However, if I can manage to ingest something that wasn't manufactured in a factory, I'm going to try to go with it.

About the miso, Trippy, I had the same concerns and picked up a package of freeze-dried miso because it claims to preserve the organisms.  I don't know how hot the water can be before it kills the fungus (aspergillus oryzae), but I expect a google will clear that up.

Due to this small research, I learned that soy sauce is the byproduct of miso production.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #13922 on: April 04, 2011, 10:58:20 AM

Heartbreak

I take one of THESE everyday. Works well and I don't have to worry as much about eating yogurt all the time. I think it's about $8 for a months supply at Target or Walmart.

I take Pearls    http://www.pearlslife.com/
They don't need to be refrigerated which is a HUGE plus, great for when you work on the road a lot.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13923 on: April 04, 2011, 11:02:23 AM

Read about that, supposed to wait until it gets past the stomach before unleashing the payload.  Notice any improvement over, say, normal acidophilous pills?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13924 on: April 05, 2011, 06:32:28 AM

Also not clicking on The Pet Death Thread, despite tantalizing title.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #13925 on: April 05, 2011, 06:35:59 AM

It's a thread I will never read. The chief reason I won't have pets. Now I can start reading the cat thread again, though!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13926 on: April 05, 2011, 08:37:11 AM

Heartbreak

My gastroenterologist mentioned that I might benefit from probiotics.  I do occasionally eat yogurt but I decided to do some quick research.  I found some non-yogurt probiotic foods, one of which I think is tasty while the rest seem tolerable-to-disgusting, and bought some.  My food cart looked like I lost a bet.

Sauerkraut - I was delighted to find that this is a probiotic.  I like it and everything that it stands for.
Miso - I didn't know that this contained live organisms.  I find it ranging from edible to delicious.  Bought some freeze-dried packets.
Kimchi - Korean sauerkraut, they say kindly.  My wife mentioned that the odor of kimchi this was used as punishment in a morning-talk-show game.  I then noticed that the jar warned that it might leak from pressure.
Kefir - I'm hoping this tastes like a white russian.  I didn't know what flavor to get, so I decided to get unflavored like a man.

Things I did not buy:
Tempeh - I decided to leave this for Round 2.  Also I haven't determined if the "tempeh bacon" still has live fungus.

Couldn't you just buy some of the capsular probiotics that are offered?  That seems like a more appetizing solution.

Edit:  I just saw Paelos's suggestion.  If you have to have something "natural" I would be doing a lot of sauer kraut.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13927 on: April 05, 2011, 08:51:14 AM

Also not clicking on The Pet Death Thread, despite tantalizing title.

Yeah, that. I do not need to think about my little dog children kicking it.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13928 on: April 05, 2011, 09:40:14 AM

What is this about miso having live stuff in it???
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13929 on: April 05, 2011, 09:41:29 AM

It's just fungus. It's fine.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: