Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:37:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1132 1133 [1134] 1135 1136 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400252 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39655 on: July 21, 2021, 03:11:45 PM

From dictionary.com:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/overpass

verb (used with object), o·ver·passed or o·ver·past, o·ver·pass·ing.
to pass over or traverse (a region, space, etc.): We had overpassed the frontier during the night.
to pass beyond (specified limits, bounds, etc.); exceed; overstep; transgress: to overpass the bounds of good judgment.
to get over (obstacles, difficulties, etc.); surmount: to overpass the early days of privation and uncertainty.
to go beyond, exceed, or surpass: Greed had somehow overpassed humanitarianism.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39656 on: August 12, 2021, 06:19:34 AM

So out of several promising hosts, they go with Mayim 'I'm a neuroscientist' Biyalik and the robot-man executive producer? Blossom was probably the worst of all the hosts, kept making it about herself and her witty commentary (which means less money for the contestants) and using the producer was just lazy even in the guest host slot.

We were still holding out hope for Green Bay to fuck up Roger's contract  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS but Reading Rainbow was really good, as was Dr Goop, but I guess the good hosts actually have careers that haven't ended up with them hocking sketchy neuroscience pills.

As daily watchers of Jeopardy, this sucks. We're looking for a boycott show for dinner, but it really is our favorite show. I guess we can at least watch roboman and delete the Blossom crap, but that's still killing 50% of our dinner viewing. I hope the decision flops, and Jennings' lame new show flops and the universe rights itself with Ken as host.

Or maybe GB fucks up A A Ron's gig  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #39657 on: August 12, 2021, 08:40:53 AM

You're still watching shows because "That's what's on"? Dude, channels and 'showtimes' are over.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39658 on: August 12, 2021, 09:08:32 AM

You're still watching shows because "That's what's on"? Dude, channels and 'showtimes' are over.

--Dave
Unlike signing forum posts with your name?

Get fucked, I use a DVR, you cunt, to watch a show I've enjoyed watching with my dinner since the fucking 80s.

Go find a cliff to fall off.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39659 on: August 12, 2021, 09:10:20 AM

VCRs are analog. Just sayin’ awesome, for real
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #39660 on: August 12, 2021, 09:34:50 AM

The way they set up the guest host thing on Jeopardy really made it seem like people were actually trying it out and would be given a fair shot at it. Maybe that was a misinterpretation of the event by the interwebs but Jeopardy made no mention to correct it. Then to have everyone run thru and decide the producer of the show gets the job? Fuck off...

I actually enjoyed Mayim - thought her pace and cadence with the contestants was good. Burton sadly seemed out of sync the entire week he was on, lots of pauses and no rhythm. Buzzy I was interested in seeing how he'd do but after a few days you could tell it was not a good fit. Anderson Cooper I would probably have ranked up to the top with a lot of 1a's like Gupta and Whitaker.

Either way, the show just lost its soul when Alex died. Same feeling as when Bob retired from the Price is Right - i've watched a few shows with Drew but it just doesn't feel right. I'm sure Jeopardy will truck along, but I am not sure how much I'll watch after this. Mainly because the show was Alex for me, and partly because I come away from this guest host season with a bad taste in my mouth. That said, my wife is a trivia junky so I'm sure she'll continue to watch unless the Richards news turns even worse.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39661 on: August 12, 2021, 09:55:05 AM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39662 on: August 13, 2021, 02:59:53 PM

We like Jeopardy a lot and watch it on the DVR.

We like the guy who is on a historic run right now.

We liked the whole guest host thing.

We didn't like the Richards guy. And I fucking hate him being the dude not because he's a white man or because he's got some lawsuits or whatever. I just hate it when some fucker who is involved IN the decision finds a way to make them choose HIM. That's gross whatever the context--it always gives me the creeps.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39663 on: August 13, 2021, 04:45:59 PM

Mayim Bialik is an anti-vaxxer* and an Weinstein-apologist. I know nothing about Mike Richards but better him than her as the permanent host.

* she's currently trying to walk back her decade of anti-vaccine statements but fuck her
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39664 on: August 20, 2021, 10:49:06 AM

Mike Richards is out as the main Jeopardy! host. Turns out he's a horrible human being. He gets to stay as Executive Producer, though, since being a horrible person is kind of a requirement for that sort of job.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-fired-1235045394/
Terracotta Army

Reply #39665 on: August 20, 2021, 12:20:28 PM

Well damn that came down quick... and I am not at all disappointed.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39666 on: August 20, 2021, 04:48:23 PM

I would have to assume that he's going to quietly step out the door as Executive Producer a bit later. When the Evil Vizier takes over as King and then has to serve his replacement, shit does not go well for the new King. Mysteriously.

I hope the new King is not Bialik all the time, that's pretty much just as bad.
schild
Administrator

Reply #39667 on: August 20, 2021, 07:58:45 PM

no one says overtake for overpass what is this what did i just walk into
schild
Administrator

Reply #39668 on: August 20, 2021, 07:59:04 PM

oh no a new page or who knows how many pages, yeah, jeopardy, whatever, just shove burton in this isn't complicated
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39669 on: August 21, 2021, 12:29:20 AM

LeVar Burton was such the obvious choice that they had to deliberately go out of their way to not choose him.  I will just go ahead and assume racism for lack of a better explanation.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

Reply #39670 on: August 21, 2021, 06:36:47 AM

I think Mayim was tapped for the Jeopardy specials because she is booked with a TV show and her podcast - just read something yesterday that they are going back to rotating hosts for a bit before choosing a host.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39671 on: August 21, 2021, 08:28:53 AM

Yeah, that's what I saw too. It's pretty clear that somebody at Sony has never heard of "due diligence"--and also that Richards very plainly was very hated within the production staff, because the stories that sank him had multiple anonymous people from the show's production team leaking the incredibly specific things Richards did to manipulate the choice in his favor. So this time I think they're going to take their time. The weird thing is going to be that Richards is going to get about a week of episodes where I assume they're going to have to edit the beginning and the end of the week very carefully in terms of how they introduce him coming on and explain him going out.

I really wonder if Matt Amodio survived the full day of Richards episodes. If he did, it's going to be a while before he gets to continue with his run.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #39672 on: August 23, 2021, 08:16:19 AM

I guess the current front-runner to be the new host is now Ken Jennings.  Which I guess is fine.  He comes off as so stiff and boring to me, though.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39673 on: August 23, 2021, 08:19:48 AM

The weird thing is going to be that Richards is going to get about a week of episodes where I assume they're going to have to edit the beginning and the end of the week very carefully in terms of how they introduce him coming on and explain him going out.

Just let him use the same lie he did when he said he never intended to be a guest host in the first place. Fitting end to his bullshit.

I'm ok with Ken as host, but trying out at least a half dozen guests hosts who were at worst as good as he is, and a few of them were far better....it's not as easy of a fit as it would've been if we skipped this entire devious yet inept attempt by Richards to take over, and just gone straight from Alex to Ken, as everyone expected in the first place.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #39674 on: August 23, 2021, 10:37:24 AM

I think just appointing a successor and being done with it is always the best way to do it. Having a competition of having a rotating host just confuses the issue.

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

Reply #39675 on: August 23, 2021, 03:14:20 PM

I think just appointing a successor and being done with it is always the best way to do it. Having a competition of having a rotating host just confuses the issue.

Trying to revive that stupid ass American Idol competition model for clicks and views.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39676 on: August 24, 2021, 09:37:26 AM

I feel like cotton candy should be called sugar wigs.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39677 on: August 31, 2021, 12:51:17 PM

Mike Richards is out as the main Jeopardy! host. Turns out he's a horrible human being. He gets to stay as Executive Producer, though, since being a horrible person is kind of a requirement for that sort of job.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-fired-1235045394/
He no longer gets to stay as Executive Producer:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jeopardy-mike-richards-ep-1235005816/
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #39678 on: August 31, 2021, 02:48:18 PM

Apropos nothing: Lloyd's is auctioning off the cars from Fury Road

Just thought somebody might like to know.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39679 on: August 31, 2021, 04:48:58 PM

The Doof Wagon is available.

Help me Jesus.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #39680 on: August 31, 2021, 05:21:26 PM

If it doesn't sell for a brazillon dollars I'm not sure what to say.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39681 on: September 01, 2021, 08:11:35 AM

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #39682 on: September 02, 2021, 04:35:43 PM

Man, State Farm is chapping my hide. I've never had problems with them like this before. Worse yet, it's not even our fault -- so this bullshit they're doing is meaningless, as it's all gonna get subrogated to AllState anyways.

First the fuckers take three+ weeks to decide my car is totalled, mostly by (1) taking their sweet fucking time to get an estimate and then (2) apparently deciding the damage couldn't possibly go any deeper than bodywork despite a casual glance letting even a car moron (such as myself) know "Oh shit, all the suspension is fucked". So they get a supplementary estimate that doubles the repair cost, pretend they didn't get it for a week, finally decide they got it (after I fucking called when I got a "we're going to repair it" response to an obviously totaled car) and then fucked around another 5 days before getting their own estimate and sure enough totaling it.

Which was today.

They then low-ball me the value of the car, which I patiently correct (including running down to get pictures) because apparently they just took the stock cheapest package for that car and decided "clearly this vehicle had no options of any sort" (adding "leather seats" and "premium sound packages" to shit they can't fucking see).. They fix that, and of course it's still fucking wrong but now it's within a few hundred of where it probably should be.

So I'm "Okay what's the next step" and they tell me "Here's your payout, minus full fucking grand (coincidentally pretty much how much they lowballed the car value) we're taking to pay for the body shop, because we don't agree with their charges.

Which sounds like a fucking state farm problem, not a Morat problem, and also I'm fairly certain illegal. They can argue with and take the body shop to fucking court, I don't care, but there's no fucking reason I'm on the goddamn hook. Oh, and a third of it is storage fees they don't want to pay for because it was there so long. Because State Farm took a full ten fucking days of the 15 working days to handle a fucking estimate.

So I've filed a complaint with the state, and frankly am trying to decide if I'm pissed enough to talk to a lawyer over what amounts to a 1k difference in payout.

The worst part is again they aren't even paying this shit. All this nickel and dime shit is saving Allstate money in the end, not fucking State Farm.
Terracotta Army

Reply #39683 on: September 02, 2021, 06:04:57 PM

No wonder car crash lawyers have 15 commercials an hour. 

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39684 on: September 02, 2021, 06:22:02 PM

State Farm defrauded the Federal government billions of dollars from Hurricane Katrina. More pertinent to your situation they lost a billion-dollar* class-action lawsuit (Avery v. State Farm) for using cheaper non-OEM parts in crash repairs. Not sure why they are still in business given their practices and lack of morals.

* eventually settled for 250 million because one of the Illinois Supreme Court justices was bought by State Farm, literally, and overturned the original verdict
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #39685 on: September 02, 2021, 06:33:48 PM

They aren't out of business because they know where all the fucking bodies are buried, just like every big insurance company.  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #39686 on: September 03, 2021, 04:30:46 PM

State Farm defrauded the Federal government billions of dollars from Hurricane Katrina. More pertinent to your situation they lost a billion-dollar* class-action lawsuit (Avery v. State Farm) for using cheaper non-OEM parts in crash repairs. Not sure why they are still in business given their practices and lack of morals.

* eventually settled for 250 million because one of the Illinois Supreme Court justices was bought by State Farm, literally, and overturned the original verdict

Historically -- and I have routinely used this body shop with State Farm -- they've been pretty docile once someone pushes back, and their dickery has mostly been trying to avoid OEM in places where OEM is required by the manufacturer.

This is a whole new level of WTF.

Half the problem seems to be that their adjustor slept on the claim a week (got lost in the queue would be my guess) and blamed the body shop, which the "loss team" just took as gospel. They wanted to charge me for the first eight days of storage because, apparently, they just don't think the day OF the accident counts and the next 7 they shouldn't pay for because it took that long to get an estimate.

Except the body shop cheerfully forwarded me the email chain in which, seven days after the crash, they get a "Hey, guys, is so-and-so's car there? That's where he said it was, and if so, can you send me pictures" email from the adjustor.

On the bright side, my actual agent has always been good about pushing back, and he's been looped in.

Still pisses me off because, and I cannot stress this enough, they're literally not saving themselves any money by dicking with me. All the bills they're going to send to All State.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39687 on: September 03, 2021, 08:58:26 PM

That sounds like the fucking worst. My experience lately has been with Progressive. Had some uninsured kid clip the back of my car a few months back. Neither of us could have been going more than 15 mph, and he wasn't looking and basically rubbed his front bumper on my rear passenger side panel. It fucked up his already fucked up bumper, broke a headlight and flattened a tire but other than some scrapes on the plastic runner and a slight poking out of the back panel above the rear tire, you couldn't tell my car was even touched and that only if you knew where to look and looked hard. Submitted the claim through the app, took pictures and video with the app and spoke to the adjuster a few times. I told him I probably wouldn't repair it and within a day but they could go ahead and pay me for the claim minus my deductible. Less than a day later, I had like $1900 in the bank, which I promptly used to pay off some bills and get new tires for the car. Not to toot their horn, but Progressive has always been mostly decent and responsive.

I'd have cancelled that State Farm policy the second I got paid and moved to someone else.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #39688 on: September 04, 2021, 10:48:12 AM

I'm considering it. I've been with them over a decade, and that included a decade with a kid that went through cars like t-shirts, so I've had some fucking experience.

It's never been like this.

And contrast that with in my in-laws -- just two months ago they had a fire that destroyed their detached garage. They had State Farm. Their process was so smooth, and State Farm so helpful, that it was practically concierge level. My in-laws (pretty elderly) didn't have to do shit. State Farm contracted a company to handle all the work, down to repair/loss assessment and valuation and cleaning.

My actual agent contacted me yesterday and took some of the emails and info I'd gathered and plans to push back. We'll see if that's just lip service or not.

On an unrelated note, my wife mentioned that after the wreck  her car automatically dialed 911 for her. So she's sitting there, in pain and deeply confused. And some one was asking her if she was okay, that it was 911, and asked if she'd just been in a wreck.

I realize that's a pretty common feature these days, but I'm fucking 45 and still marvel I can play Baldur's Gate on an iPad.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 10:52:09 AM by Morat20 »
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #39689 on: September 10, 2021, 03:50:28 PM

My wife has moved out of the classroom into a technology oriented position (a nice upgrade and move into admin).

She was picked because, for a teacher, she's very tech savvy and really good about taking new tech (software, hardware, whatever) and integrating it into lessons and she's spent the last decade being a major player in their internal training and curriculum stuff (both tech and non-tech). The first month of school, however, like half her job is basic IT, as apparently two months off is enough for users (teachers and students) to forget things like "What was that program I use for turning in my classwork?"

Which has led to fucking hilarity on my end as she randomly texts me shit during the day that ANYONE who had done IT work would recognize.

Users who claim doing what they were told didn't fix it (and then clearly hadn't done it), users who just stop emailing you -- either because it's fixed or because it ISN'T --- so you have to follow-up. Grown adults who can't follow instructions toddlers can handle.

On the bright side, while she's working longer hours right now (and will again in May, per the person she replaced, but it'll even out to a more normal workday for much of the rest of the year) she's a lot happier than she was. She hadn't realized how stressful the classroom had gotten, and how bored she'd gotten.
Pages: 1 ... 1132 1133 [1134] 1135 1136 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: