Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:30:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1081 1082 [1083] 1084 1085 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3426821 times)
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #37870 on: August 03, 2018, 11:25:56 PM

Played magic in 1994-1995, did win one of the very first local tournament and got a mox. I’m not into deck building and the games were far too luck dependant. Most importantly, lacked disposable income.

Problem with board games is that they more about generally knowing what to do but with very few tough decisions . Screw up early and you are often dead in the water rest of the game.

In bridge every hand is a game so on a regular evening you play 24 separate games with all of them equally important and all slightly different and you tally the scores at the end. The tricky part is that you and your partner have to be on the same page when you play or things turn out bad
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:26:07 AM by Gimfain »

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #37871 on: August 04, 2018, 04:50:28 PM

I'm closing in on geriatric myself and I don't even know any bridge players. It's been a game for old people for as long as I can remember. Maybe it's rich, old, WASPy kind of game?

They'll have bridge no matter what old age home your family puts you in.  Well, maybe not if it's run by social services.  And not if they put you in a Jewish old age home, then you'll have to learn Mahjong. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #37872 on: August 04, 2018, 05:04:15 PM

Jews love bridge.

And mahjong.

And playing everything for money.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #37873 on: August 04, 2018, 11:19:04 PM

So what you are telling me is that I should retire in Florida instead of Sweden and make it rich

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
schild
Administrator

Reply #37874 on: August 04, 2018, 11:29:40 PM

i didn't say high stakes

but I'd recommend being rich BEFORE moving to miami
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37875 on: August 05, 2018, 09:50:47 AM

Makin' it RAAAAAAIN

in nickels
schild
Administrator

Reply #37876 on: August 05, 2018, 10:52:45 AM

nah, like $1, $5, and $10 bills
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #37877 on: August 05, 2018, 05:02:59 PM

And not if they put you in a Jewish old age home, then you'll have to learn Mahjong. 
My grandmother taught me mahjong at age 9. Little did I know she was preparing me for the old ladies home...
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37878 on: August 05, 2018, 08:29:25 PM

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #37879 on: August 10, 2018, 04:03:10 PM

pretty crazy work week, had vacation on monday and ended up working 9 hours tuesday-friday. at least i compensated it by having dinner at work plus going up to to the bar on friday evening. still bit drunk, tomorrow its going to another bar just to get back to my work for more drinks. its dangerous being accountant at a bar/restaurant.

God damnit, not used to drinking.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:39:00 AM by Gimfain »

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #37880 on: August 14, 2018, 10:48:02 AM

They're repaving the parking lot at work on the same day that they're cutting the grass. Even my newly renovated sinus cavities can't deal with firepower of this magnitude.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37881 on: August 14, 2018, 01:54:39 PM

Hector crosses the international date line and throws off our math.  Fun times for others.  I just take care of the computers.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37882 on: August 14, 2018, 06:46:45 PM

Laos has been getting enough rain.  Please don't send your spare hurricanes over here, thnx.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #37883 on: August 15, 2018, 08:58:37 AM

From the pedantic corner, aren't they called Typhoons in the pacific?

I have spent the last 3 weeks taking care of my father who was in rehabilitation after an operation. Noting too serious, but a hip replacement as his hips were in agony and he could not walk. It mainly was me walking to the hospital, bringing him his paper and some other stuff an taking home his washing to wash, and sitting with him for hours to just talk with him. I'm stunned at how people can do this stuff full time as it floored me. Anyway, he is off home today, so that's a good thing I've done I suppose.

Hic sunt dracones.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37884 on: August 15, 2018, 09:15:47 AM

Only in the Northwestern Pacific. In the South Pacific/Indian Ocean they are Cyclones, and in the Atlantic or Northeastern Pacific they are Hurricanes.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37885 on: August 15, 2018, 09:59:07 AM

Only in the Northwestern Pacific. In the South Pacific/Indian Ocean they are Cyclones, and in the Atlantic or Northeastern Pacific they are Hurricanes.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37886 on: August 15, 2018, 10:57:55 AM

Laos has been getting enough rain.  Please don't send your spare hurricanes over here, thnx.

We will tell you when you've had enough rain.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #37887 on: August 15, 2018, 07:48:45 PM

I know that's not impressive, but I paid YEARS 40 Euro for 30 Mbit. Now I pay the same for 100 Mbit (and TV (which I don't care about)).

The download speeds turn slowly, but grind exceedingly towards faster speeds. Euripides

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #37888 on: August 15, 2018, 08:17:54 PM

Know that someone, somewhere envies you.  Here in Outer Asswipe, ‘Murica, I pay almost $90/month for ~1Mbps.  When it’s not broken altogether.  Because in the uncivilized wastelands of northern Idaho, there ain’t much better available.

Least I got chicken(s)....

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #37889 on: August 15, 2018, 09:43:24 PM

In the "I..uh..learning to be a 70ies American" series ?

Calgon, take me a way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yjGPgs0_S0

I totally knew Calgon, but as German Calgon (Which sounds like Kalgon), not English Calgon (which sounds like a Greek King)(I hope you know what I mean?!)

and as wash-additive, not as bath-tube-additive

Life is crazy

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #37890 on: August 16, 2018, 06:21:48 AM

I'm stuck where there are exactly 0 non-satellite providers. Though fiber cable with 1gig service for $90 is a half-mile away. With no plans to expand now that google has abandoned the KC area.
I get to use 4glte for internet, which is not a great alternative. Third world America!

Once the house is paid off next year, I'll have to make the decision to either invest in improvements/expansion/etc or just saving to move somewhere else. I found the perfect house/land in Colorado up in the mountains, just $500,000 more than I can afford :/
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #37891 on: August 16, 2018, 08:32:40 AM

Yall need to quit living in the middle of fucking nowhere and join the urban blight with the rest of us.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #37892 on: August 16, 2018, 09:45:41 AM

Yall need to quit living in the middle of fucking nowhere and join the urban blight with the rest of us.

Like hell. I'll just keep building more and more Rube Goldbergian contraptions to bring in that Internet.

Also hoping that Starlink will be a functional alternative out here. Going to be a while yet before we know hard numbers on it -- bandwidth caps, actual throughput, and what the hell it's going to cost. As oft repeated, I can't even get 4G out here, and use a 3G booster to get online with low enough latency to play games (and said booster is down at the moment and not legal to buy anymore, but I digress).
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #37893 on: August 16, 2018, 12:30:51 PM

Need more blue votes in rural areas anyways.

Oops.  why so serious?

- Viin
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #37894 on: August 16, 2018, 12:35:54 PM

Worst part?  From my front window I can see the post that marks where the DSL provider’s fiber line is coming through between towns.  Real internet is *that* close, and yet so far away....

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #37895 on: August 16, 2018, 12:37:35 PM

Worst part?  From my front window I can see the post that marks where the DSL provider’s fiber line is coming through between towns.  Real internet is *that* close, and yet so far away....

You apparently own a tractor, make some shit happen.  why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37896 on: August 16, 2018, 12:58:59 PM

So the renters in the house next door moved out a while back and some work was done and now it's been on a market for a little bit of time.  We've been waging a low level battle against the trees from their side of the property line growing over our yard and it's one of those things you don't realize has gotten as bad as it has.  Branches were seriously plastered against the side of the house and over our roof.  We'd plannedon having a tree service come and clear them along the property line but that option went away when my car had to be replaced.  So the husband called the listing agent to say "trying to get in touch with the owners, their trees are seriously growing in my house" and it paid off.  Tree service came today to clear all the branches away and we didn't have to pay a cent!   awesome, for real

They'd already started but you can kind of see how much the branches were overhanging our house in this pic.

And then finished!  Definitely looking forward to getting home to see how much better the side of the house looks now.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37897 on: August 16, 2018, 01:12:04 PM

It’s Interesting that there’s no fence between the properties.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37898 on: August 16, 2018, 01:15:03 PM

You have lived in the western US most of your life haven't you?  tongue

In a lot of the country, fences are the exception, not the rule. Especially in suburbia where Rhyssa lives.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #37899 on: August 16, 2018, 01:45:40 PM

In a lot of the country, fences are the exception, not the rule.
Born in balkanized suburban California and my favorite part of visiting cousins elsewhere was the giant common backyard they always had, full of neighborhood kids. In urban Kansas City I remember waking up early for breakfast, looking out the kitchen window, and seeing a pair of guys in full camo suits bow-hunting for rabbits and deer. Culture!

if at last you do succeed, never try again
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37900 on: August 16, 2018, 01:46:45 PM

Where I'm from, the neighborhood developers are too cheap to add fences, they just expect if the homeowner wants one, they can damn well pay for it themselves.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37901 on: August 16, 2018, 03:16:48 PM

What you can't see is the creek running along the back edge of my property.  Technically part of my property is on a flood plain, so I couldn't build a fence even if I wanted to.  And considering the neighbors we've had there most recently, I really, really would have loved a fence.

In the second photo, the tree in the front of things is a maple and just on their side of the property line.  That pic also really shows off how washed out and eroded that side of the yard is now.  It was beautiful when we first moved in and had sod put down... 17 years ago now.  

Also - fuck black walnuts trees.  I'd kill every one of the damn things around me if I could (there's 3 on their lot alone, so guess were all the fucking fruit ends up?)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 03:18:39 PM by RhyssaFireheart »

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #37902 on: August 16, 2018, 06:23:56 PM

Heh, we take fences pretty seriously out here. The west has had multiple Fence Cutting Wars.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #37903 on: August 16, 2018, 06:34:19 PM

What you can't see is the creek running along the back edge of my property.  Technically part of my property is on a flood plain, so I couldn't build a fence even if I wanted to.  And considering the neighbors we've had there most recently, I really, really would have loved a fence.

In the second photo, the tree in the front of things is a maple and just on their side of the property line.  That pic also really shows off how washed out and eroded that side of the yard is now.  It was beautiful when we first moved in and had sod put down... 17 years ago now.  

Also - fuck black walnuts trees.  I'd kill every one of the damn things around me if I could (there's 3 on their lot alone, so guess were all the fucking fruit ends up?)

We had two black walnuts in the yard. GF at the time wanted them cut down really badly and called some private tree cutter who was also a woodworker. He cut them down for free as long as he kept the wood to build furniture... pretty sweet deal.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37904 on: August 16, 2018, 07:25:39 PM

You have lived in the western US most of your life haven't you?  tongue
Yup.
Pages: 1 ... 1081 1082 [1083] 1084 1085 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: