Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:13:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400366 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #37765 on: July 01, 2018, 12:31:27 PM

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #37766 on: July 01, 2018, 01:14:19 PM

Such a white elephant that he's popular in YouTube.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #37767 on: July 02, 2018, 02:47:24 AM

One of the south’s more amusing games to play: tell the difference between a redneck, a good ol’ boy, and poor white trash. And interestingly enough as noted redneck/racist dumbasses seem to be the south’s chief export to the rest of the US...
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #37768 on: July 02, 2018, 07:21:32 AM

They told me that it's law for first year "market value" to always what the first time home owner paid for the house, to which I said "Ok, what about someone who buys a property for $1 privately from say, a family member or business partner" - "Oh, well in that case we look at properties around them and adjust up. Basically, it's a law that is purely used for convenience. I don't abide by that fucking bureaucratic nonsense. They showed me their hand, I'm going to show them the nuts.

File a protest with your local appraisal authority. If that doesn't work, you can always hire a consulting group who specializes in value reductions, but they usually charge you a portion of their savings.

It's generally the rule that they'll appraise you house based on market value of your area, then apply a percentage to it to determine taxable value. If you're trying to prove your house is worth less than what you paid, you need to have some pretty solid documentation of the special circumstances surrounding why you agreed to pay a certain price for a house, but also believe it's worth less.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #37769 on: July 02, 2018, 09:50:05 AM

The local appraisal group has had the same results I did. They are of no use here. I feel like if your CAREER is arguing property taxes, you're probably not qualified enough for me to hire you.

I realize that's counter-intuitive but I have a stake in success, they have some mild monetary gain in success.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #37770 on: July 02, 2018, 11:49:36 AM

...hire a consulting group who specializes in value reductions...

That sounds an awful lot like paying off a local gang to come vandalize your place...

As far as my taxes here, they overvalue, we appeal, they drop it by about 20% and everybody's happy.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #37771 on: July 02, 2018, 02:36:41 PM

The local appraisal group has had the same results I did. They are of no use here. I feel like if your CAREER is arguing property taxes, you're probably not qualified enough for me to hire you.

I realize that's counter-intuitive but I have a stake in success, they have some mild monetary gain in success.

OK then, I'll just hope you don't go full Nerf and it works out.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #37772 on: July 02, 2018, 02:56:15 PM

I'm incapable of going full nerf.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #37773 on: July 02, 2018, 06:54:11 PM

I'm incapable of going full nerf.
I've come to the conclusion that no one is immune to that. It just takes the right combination of shit. Going full nerf is something buried deep in our lizard brains.
schild
Administrator

Reply #37774 on: July 02, 2018, 06:58:17 PM

nah
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37775 on: July 03, 2018, 11:47:55 AM

I have a hard time with thinking that "most" people are anything but dumb animals.  Just based on statistics, half the people you know are below-average intelligence.  This includes "city folk" who shop at Whole Foods.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37776 on: July 03, 2018, 12:07:02 PM

I have a hard time with thinking that "most" people are anything but dumb animals.  Just based on statistics, half the people you know are below-average intelligence.  This includes "city folk" who shop at Whole Foods.
I believe the average f13 user is likely to have a higher than average intelligence. So the majority of people most of us see on any given day are going to be of lower intelligence, relatively speaking. The further out on the curve you are, the less likely you are to see anyone operating at your level.

And that's just raw processing power, not accounting for wisdom. Because a LOT of very smart people never develop that, and some hicks do. The combination of both is a rarity and a joy.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #37777 on: July 03, 2018, 12:15:12 PM

I've found that the best way to gauge intelligence is to see how aware a person is of what they don't know.   I've been able to work with some amazing thinkers in my life and most of them were always in pursuit of filling their perceived deficiencies. 

I find that the older I get, the more I enjoy being around people that can say "I don't know" and "I was wrong". 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #37778 on: July 03, 2018, 01:20:11 PM

Intelligence isn't one-dimensional. Most people are above average at *something*.

Of course, the converse is also true.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37779 on: July 03, 2018, 01:23:39 PM

I find that the older I get, the more I enjoy being around people that can say "I don't know" and "I was wrong". 

Being able to quickly admit not knowing something is one of the main signals I look for in quickly evaluating an engineer that I'll have to work with.  Because nothing is worse than working with an engineer who wastes time pretending they know things they don't know.

On the topic of relative intelligence, I had the sobering realization some years back that by every standard that's readily measurable, the IQ delta between me and the average human is greater than the delta between the average human and Forrest Gump.  

Well, I say "sobering", but it really inspired me to drink more, not less.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #37780 on: July 03, 2018, 01:54:06 PM

Intelligence isn't one-dimensional. Most people are above average at *something*.

Of course, the converse is also true.

think about the number of bad service jobs
and how many people voted for trump
and how many bad people there are in every job you've ever had

most people are bad at everything

some people are good at something
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #37781 on: July 03, 2018, 06:00:17 PM

It's still a sign of weakness in my engineering experience. I can logically justify my decisions for 20 minutes only to be ridiculed with "that's wrong" by my supervisor. I then fall back to "I guess I don't know, what do you suggest?" and apparently that pisses him off more.

Personally I am willing to admit when I don't know because I want DO want to know more and figure it out... ;-)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #37782 on: July 04, 2018, 06:53:14 PM

Man, do I loathe fireworks.  Not the massive, professional displays, but inbred Jesse setting them off in his unwatered, super dry back yard. 
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #37783 on: July 04, 2018, 08:37:28 PM

Ya, I remember one time some woman came up to me on the street asked me to walk her home, which was in one of the less well off areas of Dublin, and it was like a war zone with all the fireworks going off everywhere. Poor woman was terrified.

Hic sunt dracones.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #37784 on: July 04, 2018, 08:40:52 PM

Ya, I remember one time some woman came up to me on the street asked me to walk her home, which was in one of the less well off areas of Dublin, and it was like a war zone with all the fireworks going off everywhere. Poor woman was terrified.

Out of curiosity, what holiday what that in which the Irish go crazy with the fireworks too? I assume not 4th of July, unless you are talking about Dublin, Georgia.

Edit: Holy shit was I drunk when I wrote that? (I might have been, since I don't remember it.) I'm amazed anyone was able to parse any meaning at all from it.

swamp poop
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:44:00 AM by Mandella »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #37785 on: July 04, 2018, 11:20:13 PM

Man, do I loathe fireworks.  Not the massive, professional displays, but inbred Jesse setting them off in his unwatered, super dry back yard. 

Why do you need fireworks?  Is there any tie in to the Revolution?  Or is it another made up thing like turkey on Thanksgiving? 

Glad tomorrow is a work day.  Not.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37786 on: July 05, 2018, 04:31:28 AM

Out of curiosity, what holiday what that in which the Irish go crazy with the fireworks too? I assume not 4th of July, unless you are talking about Dublin, Georgia.

New Year's Eve probably. In the UK fireworks are usually associated with Bonfire Night (November 5th), but that's not a thing in the RoI.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #37787 on: July 05, 2018, 06:39:36 AM

It was Halloween night. October 31st was like a warzone some years, and people tended to set them off all through October. They really started cracking down on them a few years ago though as these fireworks are actually illegal so its quieted down. They used to sell them openly on the street all through October.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37788 on: July 05, 2018, 07:05:00 AM

Used to love them when I was young, drunk and dogless. Now that I have a dog who loses her shit whenever there's big badabooms going off (like thunder, gunshots or fireworks), not so much.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #37789 on: July 05, 2018, 09:23:03 AM

Ordering a pair of Beats Studio Wireless 3 headphones and got to reading the Q&A bits (and no, I don't give a shit what you think of the headphones, I'm well into the Apple phone/tablet ecosystem at this point and I've got fucked up hearing in my right ear anyway so whatever...)

Question: How well do these block out my girlfriend talking?
Answer: Her voice is already inside your head. Even if you break up with her, she will slowly seize every neuron, thought, memory, and a pair of headphones will not stop the complete take over of your soul. Say goodbye to your sense of self.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #37790 on: July 05, 2018, 09:46:47 AM

Used to love them when I was young, drunk and dogless. Now that I have a dog who loses her shit whenever there's big badabooms going off (like thunder, gunshots or fireworks), not so much.

Yeah, my dogs have a couple of those thunder shirt things and they do okay with that.  The 5 year old boy, not so much.  He was not a fan. 

There's also the issue of PTSD and combat veterans...wonder how much they like all of this shit. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #37791 on: July 05, 2018, 09:49:32 AM

So last night, a severe thunderstorm hit Pittsburgh's east end... and just sat there. For 45 minutes straight. Lost count of lightning strikes after 20 - and this was flash and boom type lightning so it was directly overhead. Watched the storm just sit and slowly turn over my neighborhood for 30 minutes on my phone's weather app before it crept away. I didn't hear a single dog bark all night though... and all this an hour prior to fireworks.

Front porch garden blew down and uprooted all my cucumbers and tomato plants and knocked over all my hanging baskets. Electric blew out three times and the third time it was off for more than 2 hours in 90% humidity and 80 degrees with some much rain pouring and blowing around we had to keep the windows closed the whole time or risk drowning.

I've been through my fair share of storms and even a couple hurricanes when I was on the southern coast, but this was unreal.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37792 on: July 05, 2018, 10:53:40 AM

I find that Trump voters can give 20-minute explanations of why they voted for him, as well.  I've decided true logic is either difficult or impossible to determine.  What fits my observations more is the theory that everyone make decisions based on their experiences up to that point, which may or may not include a lot of math.  I do mean everyone.  This is probably because as I try to find "truth" I keep finding "opinion".  Of course, the main issue is that I'm one of the things I'm trying to figure out and it may be a lost cause.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #37793 on: July 05, 2018, 12:03:20 PM

Being thoughtful takes effort. Most people, us included, settle on a bunch of assumptions to understand life and then stick to them while we focus on other things. The problem though is that you need to keep "refreshing those assumptions, and if you don't your assumptions get more and more off kilter with a changing outer world, and it gets harder and more painful to shift your perspectives, so you stick with them as you cant spare the time. It gets worse if you are taught to hate those who disagree with you and you feel like part of a "team" so changing your mind about ANYTHING is letting the team down.

For example, see the eternal fight between the armies of "Rowrter" and "Rooter."

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #37794 on: July 06, 2018, 08:25:57 AM

I wish there was an easier way to clone replacement phones. My primary one still works (the back case is just messed up, but that's what warranties are for). New phone identical to old phone, but I can't just say "Copy yourself into this new home" to the original one.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37795 on: July 06, 2018, 09:11:56 AM

Get a Samsung phone? (And use Smart Switch)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #37796 on: July 06, 2018, 09:38:02 AM

Get a Samsung phone? (And use Smart Switch)

That did about 80%  of it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37797 on: July 06, 2018, 10:36:23 AM

Huh.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37798 on: July 06, 2018, 06:45:25 PM

There's no comforting my dog when there are fireworks or thunderstorms around.  Sometimes he just lays in his safe corner and shivers and I feel so bad for him, but he doesn't want to cuddle or anything.  Usually though, he lays on my feet (or my husband's) if he can.

Also, if you don't follow her on Twitter, Delilah Dawson's dog is a poet and they are fabulous poems.  He doesn't like fireworks skyborks either.  She's got several #borkbook poems in her feed.

Poem for those not wanting to click the link.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37799 on: July 06, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: