Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:07:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065] 1066 1067 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400743 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #37240 on: January 04, 2018, 04:01:37 PM

Every rice section in every grocery store has this rice, you just never looked for it.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37241 on: January 04, 2018, 06:56:12 PM

Shit.  My local Publix has multiple brands of arborio, and I live in Florida's armpit.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #37242 on: January 05, 2018, 06:00:47 AM

True, I've never looked for it. I'll have a look next time i'm at the big supermarket.

Hic sunt dracones.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #37243 on: January 05, 2018, 06:02:06 AM

Shit.  My local Publix has multiple brands of arborio, and I live in Florida's armpit.

Isn't that all of it?
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37244 on: January 06, 2018, 01:36:30 PM

Shit.  My local Publix has multiple brands of arborio, and I live in Florida's armpit.

Isn't that all of it?

You're not entirely wrong, but I meant the back-assward portion of the panhandle.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #37245 on: January 16, 2018, 03:15:46 AM

I was looking on how to make tea (properly, that is). Thought this might be useful so sharing:

ISO 3103:1980 "Tea — Preparation of liquor for use in sensory tests"

The closest for how"How to properly enjoy tea" is 'ISO 1839:1980 BS 5987:1980 Methods for sampling tea' but there is no PDF around.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It also makes me feel really warm and fuzzy inside that there is a sub-committee 8 of the Technical Committee 34 for Tea.
And the secretariat is run by the British. No matter how crazy the world, some people still seem to be on top of things.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:22:04 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37246 on: January 16, 2018, 03:50:14 AM

Related, every British armoured vehicle since WWII has a water boiling apparatus installed inside it as standard equipment. For safety reasons.

Previously, British tank crews had disembarked when they wanted to "brew-up" (make tea), using a petrol cooker improvised from empty fuel cans[4] called a "Benghazi burner". Use of the [Boiling Vessel] enabled the crew to stay safely inside the tank and reduced the time taken for breaks.

Vehicles fitted with the BV include Challenger 2 tanks, MAN trucks, and Warrior, Warthog, Mastiff, Jackal and Foxhound armoured fighting vehicles. It is common practice for a junior member of a vehicle crew to be unofficially appointed "BV Commander", responsible for making hot drinks for the other soldiers.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #37247 on: January 16, 2018, 11:39:12 PM

So, I am getting divorced.  Kind of a mutual decision officially, but technically I was the one who pulled the trigger, so to speak.  Thanks to the others of you in this thread who have described your own recent and past experiences.  I found that it takes a crazy amount of current to even have that conversation, let alone to actually make the decision, and some of what I saw here helped me to do just that.  Might sound strange to thank people for that sort of advice taken passively, but it really has helped me.

In any event, I am hoping this process will go relatively smoothly.  For now, at least, it seems that the wife and I will be able to agree on the important items.  Really trying to remain friendly.  We are still basically best friends, and after being together for more than 20 years, she is like a part of my family.  We have three kids, by the way.  House is going up for sale in the next couple of days, so there are roughly 11 billion things to do.  It is like having a part time job.

Anyway, I am feeling okay about all of this for now.  Trying really hard to keep the kids in focus as much as we can, so that this has as little impact on them as possible.

Any off-the-cuff advice?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37248 on: January 17, 2018, 01:53:11 AM

Sounds like you have it covered.  Sometimes things just end.  You're focusing on the weans and you seem to have your head in order.  She feeling the same way ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #37249 on: January 17, 2018, 02:41:23 AM

Don't have any advice to offer, but can you elaborate why you both wanted it to end?

This sounds like it was hard step that you took after careful consideration. After 20 years, kids and house I'd probably go the easy route myself and sit it out...

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #37250 on: January 17, 2018, 04:45:57 AM

She didn't initially feel the same way, but after a bit of thinking she actually agreed and said that it was good that I could find the courage to do it, because she never would have.  It is so easy to let inertia take over.

There are always a bunch of small issues, but at the end of the day we just do not love each other anymore as husband and wife.  I have been feeling like this for years, and in retrospect, she would more or less admit the same.  I think one of the catalysts was that my own parents, in their mid and late sixties, got divorced about 9 months ago.  While sad, my first thought was "it's about time you miserable assholes, think of all the years you lost"  My next thought was about my own dumb self, and how I was about to repeat the same mistakes.

So...yeah.  I should also add that my wife and I are totally different, and it has only been getting more pronounced.  We try to find common ground, but it just isn't natural.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #37251 on: January 17, 2018, 07:32:30 AM

Any off-the-cuff advice?

You're already doing well.  Keep that in mind.

My only advice is to keep doing what you're doing.  Put the kids first.  Try your best not to be petty. 

Hang in there.  It's going to be a tough year ahead, but things will get MUCH better.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37252 on: January 18, 2018, 08:29:51 AM

Inertia is a bitch. Fighting that battle again with my old lady. Thought we had dealt with it, but here we are again.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37253 on: January 22, 2018, 06:20:32 AM

Husband is back in the hospital.  Went Saturday for a routine follow-up echo-cardiogram and there was fluid around his heart, which was probably why he's been so out of breath any time he's tried exercising/walking at all.  Of course, being a weekend, we had to go through the ER to get him admitted (the echo was at the hospital, so we were already there).  Got to sit around from about noon until 6:30 when they finally took him up to a room.  He'll be transported to another hospital to have the procedure to drain the fluid sometime today and then depending on what they had to do (either just use a needle to drain the fluids or put in a drain) he'll either return to the first hospital or he'll be admitted to the second one to stay in the ICU for a day or so.

Yay.

How was everyone else's weekends?

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #37254 on: January 22, 2018, 06:27:22 AM

Sorry Rhyssa :(

Picked out a new Corgi puppy last night..  She’s not quite four weeks old, won’t be ready to come home and go in the cute pictures thread for a few weeks.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37255 on: January 22, 2018, 06:41:49 AM

Sorry Rhyssa :(

Picked out a new Corgi puppy last night..  She’s not quite four weeks old, won’t be ready to come home and go in the cute pictures thread for a few weeks.

Thanks!

But do you seriously expect us to believe you didn't take pics of the puppy when you picked her out? Blasphemy!

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #37256 on: January 22, 2018, 06:59:39 AM

It’s a wiggly puppy and the iphone for the photos was set to “live” mode, so I have blurry ones.  I’ll see what I can pick out

EDIT:  They're not good pics, but I added a couple to cute photos.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:50:53 AM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #37257 on: January 22, 2018, 08:38:11 AM

The other half’s mom had a stroke Sunday morning, so we’re feeling your pain. Other than that fabulous! Smoking is still bad kids...
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #37258 on: January 22, 2018, 08:51:45 AM

Apparently I'm prone to chest wall strains/inflammation, so for the second time (in the past few years) now I've had to be treated for severe chest pain. It's fantastic getting all freaked out, having a lot of tests done, and then being told that it's nothing. Here's some steroids, an inhaler, and take some Advil until you don't feel like you're dying.

Sorry to hear about the hubby. Hope everything goes well.

-Rasix
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37259 on: January 22, 2018, 09:05:11 AM

Woke up early Saturday so I could fly from Laos to Bangkok, had a 7 hour layover, then flew to Manila, went through their shitty airport, and drove through their terrible traffic to get to my hotel, where the local embassy fucked up my reservations and I had to argue with them to get my room eventually.  Got one full day to step over naked begging people in the streets, to find out Monday that the training I flew in for was canceled because of the government shutdown, and I had to do all of that immediately all over again in reverse to get back to laos late at night.  Worst of all, I’ve been deemed critical so I have to come into work Tuesday morning.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37260 on: January 22, 2018, 11:22:27 AM

The projects thread got me all inspired to turn my den into a music room, so I spent a chunk of my weekend cleaning the space up and visiting thrift stores looking for furniture.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #37261 on: January 22, 2018, 01:24:35 PM

Post pics!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

schild
Administrator

Reply #37262 on: January 22, 2018, 09:17:38 PM

The projects thread got me all inspired to turn my den into a music room, so I spent a chunk of my weekend cleaning the space up and visiting thrift stores looking for furniture.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Playing music or listening to music?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37263 on: January 22, 2018, 09:33:29 PM

The projects thread got me all inspired to turn my den into a music room, so I spent a chunk of my weekend cleaning the space up and visiting thrift stores looking for furniture.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Both, I think.  My plan is to have a bit of seating, some wall-mounted guitar hangers, and some kind of audio rack/shelf where I can keep my music collection (or at least a selection of favorite albums) and a small stereo setup.  It's a tiny room but I think it can hold that much and be a nice place for people to mill about in a party type situation (it's adjacent to the patio which is also a pretty good entertaining space).

The shelf thingy is what I've been thrifting for.  I want something with roughly these dimensions but ideally I don't want to buy it new, because where's the fun in that?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #37264 on: January 22, 2018, 11:26:44 PM

Both, I think.  My plan is to have a bit of seating, some wall-mounted guitar hangers, and some kind of audio rack/shelf where I can keep my music collection (or at least a selection of favorite albums) and a small stereo setup.  It's a tiny room but I think it can hold that much and be a nice place for people to mill about in a party type situation (it's adjacent to the patio which is also a pretty good entertaining space).

The shelf thingy is what I've been thrifting for.  I want something with roughly these dimensions but ideally I don't want to buy it new, because where's the fun in that?

I mean. You buy it and then you own it. That’s what money is for.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37265 on: January 23, 2018, 09:58:26 AM

Selby - oh man, that's rough.  Hope the MiL was treated quickly and recovers quickly.

Rasix - it's nice to be special? :p

Teleku - that's got to suck.  Especially since the shutdown was over by late Monday.  And you'll probably get to eventually do it all over again too, when they rehold the training class, right?

Husband had a drain put in, we waiting now for them to do another echo to review the size of the effusion around his heart (it should be freaking gone - they pulled out in total about 2L worth of fluid out of him) before removing the drain.  Of everything he's had done recently, this drain has been the most painful of all, oddly enough.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #37266 on: January 26, 2018, 06:32:50 AM

Hey, look...Dropbox made it less convenient to use it on my phone. It's amazing how it has turned from what I considered an essential service into a legacy straggler with a single lingering feature worth having, that will probably disappear soon anyway. And at this point, I mostly use other things to sync my machines, because there's literally no other use for it not served by superior services.

Not to mention the way image hosting got yanked means I constantly tell people how shitty Dropbox is, compared to how I used to pimp it. You can't buy that kind of advertising!

Nice fucking work there, chaps.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #37267 on: January 26, 2018, 06:39:58 AM

To be more citation-y:

Due to recent product updates, as of April 1, 2018, you'll no longer be able to access your Dropbox files and photos via Gallery or My Files on your Samsung device. Dropbox will also no longer support syncing to the Samsung DocumentSync folder.

Not to worry—your files won't be deleted or modified as a result of this change, and getting to your Dropbox files is easy. To view, upload, or organize your Dropbox files, download the Dropbox app from the Google Play Store.

If it's no longer integrated into my phone's UI and stock apps, I have no reason to use it over services that are or other apps that serve my needs better. Went from convenient to a bit player in one swoop. I get that the point is to dump personal users and push the corporate usage, but if you're pissing off all the IT people who have been using the service for years, I for one am not mentioning Dropbox in any planning meetings. Seems pretty narrow-minded. Wouldn't it have made more sense to go over the high-volume abusers and let the regular joes ride on the coat-tails for the free goodwill and advertisting? Guess not.

And yeah, I'm still angry about having my entire blog nuked from that bullshit. Dick move.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37268 on: January 26, 2018, 06:57:50 AM

Dropbox can get fucked. The minute they removed the easy to use web image hosting, it has become useless to me, since for everything else it was good for Google Drive does just as well plus gives me more space for free.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37269 on: January 26, 2018, 08:08:49 AM

I brought up the Public folder thing recently in a meeting as being the #1 complaint that I hear from users in real life.  It always surprises people because the feature was basically dead for several years before being officially sunsetted (which of course if you had a grandfathered-in account you'd never know).  Good example of why you should always consider the cost of supporting a feature forever before you let it out into the world.

schild
Administrator

Reply #37270 on: January 26, 2018, 08:15:55 AM

public folder should never

ever

have been gotten rid of

I literally only pay for Dropbox each year now because I already had it. I realize it was costing them a couple pennies to host those images and shit, but boy, it was literally the best feature for individual users. Businesses probably don't need it. Seriously, I have a fucking IMGUR account now like some kind of peasant.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37271 on: January 26, 2018, 08:49:57 AM

My understanding is that the hosting pennies were a pretty small part of the decision - not like the content went away when the Public feature ended, and I still have most of my stuff in the "Public" folder and share stuff out of there:

although I moved my inline image hosting to imgur years ago anyway because their CDN is better optimized for that use case.  Potential security dumpster fires (some of which any tech-savvy user can spot a mile off, but your average user will not) were a significantly bigger deal, especially given the stuff that was in the news around that time.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37272 on: January 26, 2018, 04:15:29 PM

Dropbox is and always has been marginally shitty for business users. Box has better business features since it was designed with that in mind (though its sync is utter garbage).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37273 on: January 26, 2018, 04:57:21 PM

I use Box for distributing photo albums to people. I tried Dropbox but it just wasn't as convenient.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37274 on: January 26, 2018, 05:33:16 PM

I use Box for distributing photo albums to people. I tried Dropbox but it just wasn't as convenient.

Was that before Showcase?   DRILLING AND MANLINESS  </shill>

Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065] 1066 1067 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: