Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:00:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3401170 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #36610 on: September 05, 2017, 08:03:43 PM

Don't move to Nashville, all that aside, it blows.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36611 on: September 05, 2017, 08:06:22 PM

Fuckin Ohio lol

Edit: you could do worse than Pittsburgh. But you could also do better pretty easily.

I'd want to move someplace my employer has an office. That's Pitt, Columbus, Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville when talking about places I'd be willing to live in the Midwest/ SE. . Considering that's 3 Red state hellholes, more Ohio or PA I'll stick with OH or PA.

Other options include Florida and Vegas. Nope.

Those options are all terrible. Absolutely Vegas.

Wait, no, Columbus IS probably the best choice. Vegas is by far the most fun though. Especially if you have self control. If you don't have self control, it's absolutely amazing but you'll cut five years off your life in one year.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36612 on: September 06, 2017, 05:36:16 AM

You and I are very different people, man. I've been to Vegas fairly regularly over the last 5 years. It is not me and I don't enjoy my time there at all.  Plus I enjoy actual seasons and snow. Yes, I'm crazed.

Don't move to Nashville, all that aside, it blows.

Nashville was never an option for all the reasons Father Mike listed. I've spoken with the sales people and staff there and visited. I know all about the property bubble and that it's already a cluster of traffic and only growing worse. One guy said the house he bought 3 years previously had already more than doubled in price. That's not good or sustainable and is just waiting for another fucking in the next downturn. Nope!

Indy was attractive, except for the whole Indiana thing which just kills it. Columbus puts me near the family here, Pitt is near enough and has more opportunities in both career paths I'm on.

I've never been to Ohio but I assume people live there for the same reason people "enjoy" oatmeal.

Most folks say worse about GA/ AL. Consider that.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36613 on: September 06, 2017, 05:38:31 AM

You guys have no idea how jealous I am of your mobility.  Any given year there are 4-5 job openings in my field and those usually command 200+ applicants. 

If anyone here has any familiarity with using a headhunter, I'm considering a career shift just to move someplace more attractive.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36614 on: September 06, 2017, 06:26:54 AM

Most folks say worse about GA/ AL. Consider that.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Oh, absolutely, if you enjoy pork rinds then that's your deal.  Some people enjoy oatmeal.  If I moved, I wouldn't get to experience meth-head murders in my neighborhood.  But some people don't enjoy that stuff.

Someone just this weekend told me that Nashville was awesome.  I asked if that was where Graceland is, because that place is a shithole.  Turns out Memphis is a shithole.  Anyway, keep in mind that we live/work in Metro ATL when we say Nashville is awesome.

Sounds like I should have invested in property around Nashville, but the problem is that I don't want to be too far away from my investment properties.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36615 on: September 06, 2017, 06:43:15 AM

Someone just this weekend told me that Nashville was awesome.  I asked if that was where Graceland is, because that place is a shithole.  Turns out Memphis is a shithole.  Anyway, keep in mind that we live/work in Metro ATL when we say Nashville is awesome.

Sounds like I should have invested in property around Nashville, but the problem is that I don't want to be too far away from my investment properties.

Some people like vanilla, others like chocolate.  Places are similar.  Nashville is a great town if you enjoy the things that Nashville offers.  Country music, a slower lifestyle, and proximity to hiking in the Appalachians at a relatively low cost of living.  

You really have to take a look at your lifestyle and what you enjoy doing in your free time.  You also have to balance that with cost of living and proximity to other places you like to go.  I'd also consider how long you plan to stay in one place as well.

I've lived in places that most people rave about and hated it.  I've also lived in places people hate and loved it.  Where you live is a very personal and subjective thing.  

EDIT: Memphis has its charms if you know where to find them.  I wouldn't live there personally, but know many people that love living there.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #36616 on: September 06, 2017, 07:20:00 AM

Edit: just woke up, no one was really complimenting Memphis. Place sucks.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:30:43 AM by schild »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36617 on: September 06, 2017, 09:19:59 AM

Nashville in on our radar because Vandy is one of the few places in the USA that specialize in POTS, which the wife deals with daily. It's not a make or break, but it is a huge benefit.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #36618 on: September 06, 2017, 10:29:13 AM

No other country boys here? I mean, arguing over which city is the best to live in for me is like arguing which pile of dogshit is more comfortable....

awesome, for real
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36619 on: September 06, 2017, 10:46:04 AM

Most of us like plumbing and not having to drive an hour for a bag of Doritos.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36620 on: September 06, 2017, 11:36:01 AM

No other country boys here? I mean, arguing over which city is the best to live in for me is like arguing which pile of dogshit is more comfortable....

awesome, for real
I live at the edge of a small city, but I'm a country boy at heart. I really miss it more every year.

I'd gladly drive an hour for a 'bag of doritos', because I'd be an hour away from the disgusting mass of humans and their general douchebaggery. I'm ok with waking up to a pile of shit in my driveway if a deer or something was in the yard overnight. Less happy about it when it was some fuckbag walking their dog, letting it shit /on my driveway/ and leaving the steaming pile there as a present.

At this point I've decided to leave it there as an art installation on the state of humanity.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36621 on: September 06, 2017, 12:05:01 PM

awesome, for real
I live at the edge of a small city, but I'm a country boy at heart. I really miss it more every year.

I'd gladly drive an hour for a 'bag of doritos', because I'd be an hour away from the disgusting mass of humans and their general douchebaggery. I'm ok with waking up to a pile of shit in my driveway if a deer or something was in the yard overnight. Less happy about it when it was some fuckbag walking their dog, letting it shit /on my driveway/ and leaving the steaming pile there as a present.

At this point I've decided to leave it there as an art installation on the state of humanity.

"I want a level of inconvenience that I can bitch about" - basically every person that doesn't live in a city
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36622 on: September 06, 2017, 12:11:03 PM

"I want a level of inconvenience that I can bitch about" - basically every person that doesn't live in a city

"I enjoy it when a 10 mile trip across town takes 45 mins" - basically every person that lives in a metropolitan area

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of other people and the shit they bring with them.  I enjoy living in small towns/rural areas and am happy to suffer minor inconveniences to do so.  My only complaint with my current location is the distance to whitewater and good hiking. 

-  Mark Twain
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36623 on: September 06, 2017, 12:14:19 PM

I'm a small town kinda guy. I've got a convenience store, a grocery store, and a Walmart less than 5 minutes away and for everything else, there's Amazon. Plus its less than an hour to Philly and about 2 hours to NYC or Baltimore, so stuff like concerts, museums, etc. are still within easy reach.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #36624 on: September 06, 2017, 12:14:24 PM

"I enjoy it when a 10 mile trip across town takes 45 mins" - basically every person that lives in a metropolitan area

This is the most common misconception in the history of cities. It basically applies to I95/495, SF and Los Angeles. Anyone who lives in any other city knows the backroads to get anywhere fast. I don't even get on the highway here.

But that's still not as bad as "I enjoy it when a 45 mile drive takes an hour because i have to drive into a city to get real groceries."

All of that aside, your attitude is different than most gibbering retards. They want the  luxuries of a city in their country outpost. It doesn't work like that. You leave the city, you are not part of the economy anymore. Ergo, you don't matter. Your voice is dead.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #36625 on: September 06, 2017, 12:48:11 PM

I prefer medium sized cities (250K to 1M) to really large ones (Austin is at the upper end of habitability, IMO). But I can see the attraction of both really rural and really urban living situations. Suburbs...are all the same, frankly.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36626 on: September 06, 2017, 12:55:39 PM

It's a quandary.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36627 on: September 06, 2017, 01:41:36 PM

Most of us like plumbing and not having to drive an hour for a bag of Doritos.

As someone who grew up in the middle of fucking nowhere country, I can wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. Sunset vistas are impressive, but I'd rather have a grocery store within spitting distance.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36628 on: September 06, 2017, 01:53:56 PM

I prefer medium sized cities (250K to 1M) to really large ones (Austin is at the upper end of habitability, IMO). But I can see the attraction of both really rural and really urban living situations. Suburbs...are all the same, frankly.

--Dave

Austin-Round Rock surpassed 2 million last June, though we won't know the hard numbers til 2020.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #36629 on: September 06, 2017, 02:53:12 PM

A lot of large cities are great to live in if you have money. These places can be very diverse and not all continuous concrete jungles.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #36630 on: September 06, 2017, 03:02:46 PM

Depends on the town.  San Francisco?  Awesome.  Austin?  Pretty damned nice.  El Paso?  Meh.  Ediburgh/McAllen/Brownsville?  No thanks. 
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36631 on: September 06, 2017, 03:26:49 PM

I've lived in properly big cities (Kyiv, Madrid, Paris) and tiny places in the middle of nowhere (Villingen-Schwenningen, Kosice). Give me a properly big city any day. You can engage with as much of the city as you like. Live in the centre for the full metropolitan lifestyle, find a cool neighbourhood with an interesting vibe or live outside in the boonies and have some space at the cost of a commute. I'm done with travelling two hours to get to an international airport or having to get a hotel and some holiday time if I want to see a band that anyone has heard of. I guess it's probably different in the US where the car-centric culture means that most cities seem to be generically identical.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36632 on: September 06, 2017, 03:28:44 PM

that most cities seem to be generically identical.

This is a misconception. It's more there's very few cities with any identifiable culture. But Pittsburgh is not like DC is not like Denver is not like Seattle is not like NYC.

Cities are tangibly different in America, especially once you get into New England.

That said, there's maybe six worth living in. Ten if we're being generous.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36633 on: September 06, 2017, 03:34:10 PM

I'll be interested in seeing what you guys prefer when you get over 50. 

The only reasons I'd ever want to live in a city again are for quality health care and better produce options.  Put me in the Rockies within 2hrs of a decent sized city/airport and I'm all set.  The less physical contact I have with other humans, the better.

Oh... GET OFF MY LAWN!   Get off my lawn!

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #36634 on: September 06, 2017, 03:37:36 PM

You're just a misanthrope because your career has sent you to the fucking swamp moon.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36635 on: September 06, 2017, 05:43:12 PM

I'll be interested in seeing what you guys prefer when you get over 50.  

I'm 44. I live on the main street in the second largest city in Slovakia. Before that I lived within shouting distance of Maidan in Kyiv, in the Chamberí neighbourhood of Madrid and the 15éme arrondissement of Paris. Being in the middle of things so you can walk to anywhere you'd want to go and still have multiple transport options outside your front door is great.

In other news, my exhibition opens tomorrow. It's cost me a fortune and I'm probably not going to make any money from it.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:45:51 PM by IainC »

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36636 on: September 06, 2017, 05:47:51 PM

In other news, my exhibition opens tomorrow. It's cost me a fortune and I'm probably not going to make any money from it.

Grats!  Very exciting.  

Best of luck on selling some work.  I think you're an amazing talent.

-  Mark Twain
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36637 on: September 06, 2017, 06:21:13 PM

Thanks. Unfortunately, no-one buys photography any more.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #36638 on: September 06, 2017, 06:45:30 PM

Even so, good luck and may rich assholes decide to buy your stuff. I had to help open a few exhibitions for an artist I was assistant to a lifetime ago, fucking horrible experiences. We did get lucky with patrons a couple times but mostly it was just dreadful.

I like living rural, I just miss broadband when I'm home.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36639 on: September 06, 2017, 06:54:12 PM

Unfortunately, no-one buys photography any more.

This is patently untrue, to the point I'm considering opening a gallery.

But it is all about finding the correct market.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #36640 on: September 06, 2017, 07:09:48 PM

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of other people and the shit they bring with them.  I enjoy living in small towns/rural areas and am happy to suffer minor inconveniences to do so.  My only complaint with my current location is the distance to whitewater and good hiking. 

Try Colorado Mesa Uni in Grand Junction CO. Or CSU in Ft Collins. Or any of our rural colleges. Or NREL in Golden, NCAR or UC in Boulder. (Don't work for the University hospital in Aurora as that ain't somewhere nice nor near hiking/rivers).

Headhunters usually work for the org they are hiring for. Hard to find someone that will shop you around, but if you can find a headhunter for the type of company you want to work for in the geo area you want ..

- Viin
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #36641 on: September 06, 2017, 07:14:52 PM

No love for Portland or Ashland?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36642 on: September 06, 2017, 07:18:13 PM

Try Colorado Mesa Uni in Grand Junction CO. Or CSU in Ft Collins. Or any of our rural colleges. Or NREL in Golden, NCAR or UC in Boulder. (Don't work for the University hospital in Aurora as that ain't somewhere nice nor near hiking/rivers).

Headhunters usually work for the org they are hiring for. Hard to find someone that will shop you around, but if you can find a headhunter for the type of company you want to work for in the geo area you want ..

I generally apply for anything I see in the Rockies that fits my expertise.  I had an interview in December for a Department head position at UNC in Greeley, but didn't get the position.  Jobs in CO are more competitive than you'd expect due to location.  

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:19:49 PM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #36643 on: September 06, 2017, 07:21:05 PM

Start applying for the ones that don't fit your expertise too  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

- Viin
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36644 on: September 07, 2017, 02:26:08 PM

Gallery opening day happened. People came but sales did not happen. We'll see if there are any follow ups in the next 6 weeks.

Here is me explaining to the attendees why Soviet analogue cameras are a good choice for taking art photos.

Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: