Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:55:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 913 914 [915] 916 917 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3428475 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #31990 on: May 22, 2015, 10:11:53 AM

We need to get you to a night school with a "fun at parties" class.

I gave up fun when I hit 40.  Don't worry... you will too.  why so serious?

NEVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #31991 on: May 22, 2015, 10:22:49 AM

We need to get you to a night school with a "fun at parties" class.

I gave up fun when I hit 40.  Don't worry... you will too.  why so serious?

Speak for yourself. I'm having more fun now because I found an even bigger level of, "I don't give a fuck what you think" than I had in my 30's. It's odd.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #31992 on: May 22, 2015, 10:44:27 AM

Speak for yourself. I'm having more fun now because I found an even bigger level of, "I don't give a fuck what you think" than I had in my 30's. It's odd.

I'm right there with ya.  Didn't you see the  why so serious? after my comment?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #31993 on: May 22, 2015, 11:50:35 AM

Yes but I mistook it for a 'get off my lawn' sort of thing from a guy who gave up haing fun.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #31994 on: May 22, 2015, 12:15:46 PM

I have no problem with fun heavy metal. I have a problem with really shitty heavy metal. It was like Gwar's Retarded Cousin joined a Gwar cover band that gave up trying to learn to play Gwar music.

schild
Administrator

Reply #31995 on: May 22, 2015, 12:47:46 PM

I have no problem with fun heavy metal. I have a problem with really shitty heavy metal. It was like Gwar's Retarded Cousin joined a Gwar cover band that gave up trying to learn to play Gwar music.
Lordi was? Disagree. And as a card-carrying member of many a crew from RVA, I get to tell you you're wrong.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #31996 on: May 22, 2015, 01:07:27 PM

I don't know what that is.

Also, my heavy metal creds should speak plenty. I'm old skool heavy metal. I am literally OLD and lived through the birth of heavy metal as a fan.

That was not good metal. Maybe their other stuff is good, but that was intentionally bad heavy metal parodying itself badly.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #31997 on: May 22, 2015, 01:37:41 PM

I was in a thrash metal band in the 80s, my cred is undeniable.

That band sucked.

Cleanse with some Wo Fat.
schild
Administrator

Reply #31998 on: May 22, 2015, 01:42:27 PM

I don't know what that is.

my heavy metal creds should speak plenty. I'm old skool heavy metal. I am literally OLD and lived through the birth of heavy metal as a fan.
RVA is Richmond, VA. Get with the program, hick. Also, I never said Lordi was straight heavy metal. I didn't even say it was good. For Eurovision however, it was completely fucking awesome.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #31999 on: May 22, 2015, 02:31:06 PM

Also, my heavy metal creds should speak plenty. I'm old skool heavy metal. I am literally OLD and lived through the birth of heavy metal as a fan.

You were a huge music fan in 1968?  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #32000 on: May 24, 2015, 01:48:59 AM

Well that was something.  Swedish Adam Levine takes it.  I did like his integration with the graphics.  Otherwise meh.

I'm seriously hot for Monika Linkyte now, so there is that.   Although Nina Sublatti put in a nice Gothic effort (the slate blue eyes among all that black, mercy).

Also, Lorde puts out Belgium's song and it shoots to #1.  Chris Isaak could do Estonia's song with someone and do well with it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #32001 on: May 25, 2015, 06:05:32 AM

Italy tho. What the fuck. Why all the votes. Seriously pish.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #32002 on: May 25, 2015, 06:42:59 AM

You were a huge music fan in 1968?  why so serious?

Credit to: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478209/

I highly recommend this and his follow-up series a few years later. Don't know how much play it got south of the border.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #32003 on: May 25, 2015, 09:36:18 AM

Oh cool! Now we can have a multi-page slapfight about which metal bands fit which genre!

Still, it beats talking about apples I suppose.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #32004 on: May 25, 2015, 10:05:31 AM

I refuse to recognize any genre list that doesn't have doom metal in it (and just slaps Candlemass into stoner metal)  why so serious?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #32005 on: May 25, 2015, 01:40:02 PM

Stoner metal? ... the fuck?  swamp poop

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #32006 on: May 25, 2015, 03:35:11 PM

Sky, time to start a metal band named Honeycrisp.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
schild
Administrator

Reply #32007 on: May 25, 2015, 04:52:07 PM

Oh cool! Now we can have a multi-page slapfight about which metal bands fit which genre!

Still, it beats talking about apples I suppose.
Those genres actually seem fine.

Edit: I would argue goth metal started a littleeeee bit earlier than 1990, but I can see their argument.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #32008 on: May 25, 2015, 07:15:12 PM

Jesus, don't get rained out in hill country.  Friend of mine just lost his pickup.
schild
Administrator

Reply #32009 on: May 25, 2015, 08:21:38 PM

Friend of mine just lost his pickup.

Sounds like a come up if he had insurance. Pickups suck.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #32010 on: May 25, 2015, 08:42:58 PM

You just hate America, don't you?

- Viin
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #32011 on: May 25, 2015, 09:38:25 PM

Pickups are great...

...for other people to own.  That way you can borrow them when you need them and not have to drive a terrible car the rest of the time.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
schild
Administrator

Reply #32012 on: May 25, 2015, 09:38:45 PM

You just hate America, don't you?
Amurica? Yes. America? No.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #32013 on: May 26, 2015, 06:15:54 AM

I get to the office this morning and it felt like the heat was on in the elevator. Get up to our offices on the top floor and it is almost 90 degrees.

I should have just stayed in bed today.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #32014 on: May 26, 2015, 06:48:55 AM

You work for a university still don't you?  Was it just a case of maintenance turning off the AC over the long weekend?

You saying this makes me glad I took today off. 3 day weekend and I know the landlord turns everything off Friday at 7pm. (sucked working late in winter)  On top of the other "I forgot how to print/ computer" issues that come up after a holiday that would have made it unbearable.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #32015 on: May 26, 2015, 08:59:18 AM

You work for a university still don't you?  Was it just a case of maintenance turning off the AC over the long weekend?

You saying this makes me glad I took today off. 3 day weekend and I know the landlord turns everything off Friday at 7pm. (sucked working late in winter)  On top of the other "I forgot how to print/ computer" issues that come up after a holiday that would have made it unbearable.

We are in leased commercial space. They eventually fixed it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #32016 on: May 27, 2015, 10:40:55 AM

Great subgenre, actually. Check out the Stoned Meadow of Doom channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/StonedMeadowOfDoom93
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #32017 on: May 27, 2015, 10:49:43 AM

Microsoft really bungled this Lync rename shit.

Why in the fuck would anyone think it is a good idea to re-do the entire interface on Lync2013 in a minor update instead of keeping the name/branding until the next office release like people expect? If this s how the Windows10 and Server2016 stuff is going to be handled I am going to be sharpening my pitchfork and going on a road trip to Seattle.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #32018 on: May 27, 2015, 10:59:54 AM

....everybody has said over the last 20 years.  I think Microsoft HQ has developed some really good anti-pitchfork defenses, because they're still standing.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #32019 on: May 27, 2015, 11:13:10 AM

Why in the fuck would anyone think it is a good idea to re-do the entire interface on Lync2013 in a minor update instead of keeping the name/branding until the next office release like people expect? If this s how the Windows10 and Server2016 stuff is going to be handled I am going to be sharpening my pitchfork and going on a road trip to Seattle.

That's NOT why it was bungled.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #32020 on: May 27, 2015, 11:25:25 AM

Great subgenre, actually. Check out the Stoned Meadow of Doom channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/StonedMeadowOfDoom93

Oh I know. I was more confused with adding Candlemass to the genre than the genre itself.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #32021 on: May 27, 2015, 12:31:13 PM

SO MANY CONFUSED USERS!

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #32022 on: May 27, 2015, 12:52:41 PM

Oh, there are a lot of bungles involved and I wasn't trying to claim that the technical issues are the reason for the bungleage. Those were really two separate statements regarding the same product. But totally changing the user interface (and even application name) in a minor patch version release of an enterprise application is ridiculous.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #32023 on: May 27, 2015, 01:03:21 PM

Ok, you all scared me there. Had to check and make sure we're still on Lync 2010.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #32024 on: May 28, 2015, 08:24:55 AM

Oh, there are a lot of bungles involved and I wasn't trying to claim that the technical issues are the reason for the bungleage. Those were really two separate statements regarding the same product. But totally changing the user interface (and even application name) in a minor patch version release of an enterprise application is ridiculous.

So, to give the inside track, it basically needed to happen and it needed to happen soon.  The Lync/Skype saga has been dragged out well beyond the abilities of mere mortals and for technical, financial, branding, marketing and all different types of reasons, it needed to get done.  All the MS Partners were informed MONTHS in advance that it was happening, so don't believe a fucking word they say about being unprepared.  The Cunts.

No, the reason it was bungled was because it was done without any choice on the part of the user and it was also done as a separate 'package' from the main Office Installation.  If you installed the new Lync client, for example, you got Skype.  If you installed OfficePro at the exact same time, you got Lync.  But then you found out that running the update would update you to Skype without any form of choice and the rollback for those companies that needed Lync (and there were MANY) was a haphazard process at best and a complete fucking failure at worst.  Also, no offline installer.  At All.  If you had Autoupdates on and it updated office;  Bang, Skype.  To the point that users phone up thinking they have a virus.

So while it will quickly be forgotten for the shitshow that it was as people actually use the new Skype front end and like it (for example, it completely replaces the Lync Emoticons which were a fucking running joke after the last Lync Release.  Fucking Children with Crayons could do better) and we now have Skype integration that actually works a fucking damn and CAN BE DONE IN UNDER 72 HOURS UNLIKE THE LAST VERSION.  That's the bit that really made me laugh.  Instant communication with your Skype friends from Lync, as long as you advise them at least 72 hours in advance and you have a deep knowledge of Powershell commands.  Fortunately, I know Powershell inside out and have no friends (I used a Remove-Friends command once in powershell without the proper qualifiers and it removed the lot).

But anyway.  Your assessment is why it sucked for you.  But Dear God, it sucked so much harder than that.

Pages: 1 ... 913 914 [915] 916 917 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: