Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400452 times)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #39795 on: March 14, 2022, 05:06:52 PM

I goddamn hate job-hunting, I've sort of niched my self career wise (just a casual scan at software jobs is often a shit-ton of  stuff I only know by thin association. Been doing application level C stuff the last decade).

It's worth thinking about picking up Rust: it's under-resourced for demand, even by comparison with React and Typescript; it's full of concepts that are pretty comfortable to a C programmer; and it's always worth having an insurance policy as a software engineer. I get paranoid if I don't have a couple of current languages, and I'm a director so nobody lets me commit without a full star chamber reviewing it, anyway.
I'll look into it. Maybe figure out something small and creative to do with it. Enough to claim I know it.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #39796 on: March 15, 2022, 12:14:43 PM

Rust is the best-designed language I've ever used. Which isn't to say that it's my favorite or the most enjoyable, just that the stated design goals of the language carry over to the implementation extremely well, and the things I'd change about it are tradeoffs rather than obvious defects.

I'll be that guy to tell you that moving out of state is just what "they" want you to do. Take your vote and your liberal attitude elsewhere.
To offer an opposing view, if growing businesses start telling politicians "we can't do business in your state because your medieval policies are driving away everyone with above an eighth-grade education", that also has an impact.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39797 on: March 15, 2022, 04:09:08 PM

If you really want to vote with your feet, the best play is to move to a small state where you have more of a proportionate vote in the Senate.  But that would rule out the whole "living in a real city" thing.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #39798 on: March 15, 2022, 05:08:39 PM

It is beautiful here in Colorado... so I can vote yes on moving here. Property prices are still out of control but slowly coming down from the clouds.
Texas isn't any better on that front.

Problem is we're from Houston -- which despite the godawful climate (it's the armpit of Texas), has a wide and fantastic variety of food from around the world, a solid opera and theater company, and great museums and galleries.

So right now I'm researching a couple of cities in a few states looking for a combination of industry that needs software engineers, good food, and good entertainment along those lines.

I will say that my bucket list DOES have seeing a concert at Red Rocks on it. Right now mostly waiting for someone worth the trip to go see.

i've left places for cultural reasons but it's not a solution

pretty sure you know that though

Texas is one of those states (mine is another) where the Republicans are getting desperate, and they are going to extreme measures to push back the rising tide. I'm not moving out of my state, and I've ramped up my political activism in response to all the recent fuckery.

Missed that Mandella pointed it out
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #39799 on: March 15, 2022, 06:34:37 PM

Yeah I know it's not, but...fuck it, you know? I'm coming up on 50. I'm tired of heat, I'm tired of assholes, I'm tired of drivers who can't understand that the left lane is for goddamn passing.

Maybe I'll feel different in a few months, but I should look into moving before I'm absolutely too fucking old to jump jobs.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39800 on: March 15, 2022, 07:13:42 PM

I'm tired of drivers who can't understand that the left lane is for goddamn passing.
Not sure switching states will solve that problem -- and it may even make it worse.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #39801 on: March 16, 2022, 06:11:07 PM

Do not come to WA at all. Fuckers will set up camp in passing and sit there, completely oblivious to the problem. Seattle people in general rolled an 18 for INT, 3 for WIS.
schild
Administrator

Reply #39802 on: March 17, 2022, 08:41:47 PM

Yeah I know it's not, but...fuck it, you know? I'm coming up on 50. I'm tired of heat, I'm tired of assholes, I'm tired of drivers who can't understand that the left lane is for goddamn passing.

Maybe I'll feel different in a few months, but I should look into moving before I'm absolutely too fucking old to jump jobs.

i've said fuck it 3 times, so yeah I get it, and you're chasing a non-solution
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #39803 on: March 17, 2022, 09:45:51 PM

People drive like blind, selfish assholes everywhere.

That said, Phoenix metro is way worse than 2 years ago. I joke that everyone in Colorado drives like they're high. Here they drive like they're high, and have dementia.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #39804 on: March 18, 2022, 05:39:23 PM

Do not come to WA at all. Fuckers will set up camp in passing and sit there, completely oblivious to the problem. Seattle people in general rolled an 18 for INT, 3 for WIS.

I call them "Pace Cars" -- the guys who will just sit there as much in your blind spot as possible and just, pace.

But yeah, sometimes you just have to bail from where you're at. Hope Morat20 can land somewhere a little less medieval in social policies.
schild
Administrator

Reply #39805 on: March 19, 2022, 07:00:33 AM

He can stay where he is just fine. I've never seen a single one of these weird fuckin Texas laws actually enforced. Not a single one, not even one (1) time.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #39806 on: March 19, 2022, 01:59:14 PM

He can stay where he is just fine. I've never seen a single one of these weird fuckin Texas laws actually enforced. Not a single one, not even one (1) time.
Some of the new raft of laws? They're hitting real close to home.

Laws punishing the parents of trans kids (and trans kids) don't affect me directly, but it's not very far from that to laws that damn well do.

And if I'm gonna end up on some bigot's list of targets to shit on to get the votes of fucking brain-damaged hicks, I'm gonna at least do it in a state with legal weed.

It's healthier than alcoholism.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #39807 on: March 22, 2022, 05:56:19 AM

So you're telling me that pregnant women in Texas aren't actually hunted for sport?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #39808 on: March 22, 2022, 06:38:40 AM

So you're telling me that pregnant women in Texas aren't actually hunted for sport?

It's still early yet...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39809 on: March 22, 2022, 10:11:36 AM

They are hunted for bounty, not sport.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39810 on: March 22, 2022, 11:44:38 AM

They are hunted for bounty, not sport.

Damn, dude. Don't give 'em any ideas.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39811 on: March 22, 2022, 12:01:18 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39812 on: March 22, 2022, 01:00:49 PM

But schild says not a single one has ever been enforced, so it must be true!

Also, I think Martin Niemöller wrote down some words on the subject of that shit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #39813 on: March 22, 2022, 10:36:39 PM

Some of the new raft of laws? They're hitting real close to home.

Laws punishing the parents of trans kids (and trans kids) don't affect me directly, but it's not very far from that to laws that damn well do.

And if I'm gonna end up on some bigot's list of targets to shit on to get the votes of fucking brain-damaged hicks, I'm gonna at least do it in a state with legal weed.

It's healthier than alcoholism.
Yes, I'm aware of the Texas Culture War Against Things That Scare The Reds.

I'm also aware they basically never enforce any of these laws because they'll never hold up.
schild
Administrator

Reply #39814 on: March 22, 2022, 10:38:28 PM

But schild says not a single one has ever been enforced, so it must be true!

Abortion ban definitely a different sort of problem. I'm speaking more to the random dumb ass cultural shit these morons try to do every few years and it just does nothin. The trans one, explicitly, is to chase people who vote blue out of the state by hitting a demographic with zero republicans. Morat leaving is *exactly* the purpose of it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39815 on: March 24, 2022, 01:51:29 PM

I love this: https://lambgoat.com/news/35907/first-patient-to-communicate-via-brain-implant-asks-to-hear-tool-album/

In the first study of its kind, scientists were able to communicate with a late-stage ALS patient using a brain implant and neural signals. Among the few requests he painstakingly communicated was a desire to listen to a Tool album (and loudly).
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #39816 on: March 24, 2022, 02:42:08 PM

What album though, it matters.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39817 on: March 27, 2022, 05:46:33 PM

Hey, this thread hit page 1138.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #39818 on: March 27, 2022, 07:47:01 PM

Hey, this thread hit page 1138.
This will be a better joke on page 1337.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39819 on: March 29, 2022, 06:23:44 AM

Does it? What album would bum you out to hear (loudly) when you've been incommunicado for months with only hospital sounds?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #39820 on: March 29, 2022, 08:15:29 AM

Nothing by Tool, but if someone played some Buffet I would ask to be euthanized.

My dental hygienist listens to soft rock when shes gouging the fucking hell out of my gums. Last time she played the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole "somewhere over the rainbow" on repeat for the entire 45 minutes.  It was a pretty fucking terrible experience.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #39821 on: April 05, 2022, 02:42:16 PM

Does it? What album would bum you out to hear (loudly) when you've been incommunicado for months with only hospital sounds?

Much as I love 10,000 Days it's packed with stuff I'd probably not want to hear as a late stage ALS patient. Wings pt1&2 would hit a bit near home, while Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned would require me to have retained a dark sense of humour.

That said, Lateralus without the ability really to evangelise about how clever the use of the Fibonacci series in the metre would be amazingly frustrating for any Tool fan.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
schild
Administrator

Reply #39822 on: April 06, 2022, 07:58:38 AM

I'd want to hear ...and Out Come the Wolves
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39823 on: April 06, 2022, 09:01:41 AM

For me, put on The Wall and pull the plug when it's over.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #39824 on: April 06, 2022, 06:24:32 PM

I think I'd go with Everything Sucks.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #39825 on: April 07, 2022, 04:14:16 AM

For me, put on The Wall and pull the plug when it's over.

I'd surprise you by pulling the plug towards the end of Comfortably Numb. I think that would be a good way to go.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #39826 on: April 09, 2022, 09:06:39 PM

Useless life advice please....

Last weekend my best friend (best man at my wedding, friends since high school) texted me that he's separated from his wife of 23 years, and their daughter is living with her. Apparently since early March. Didn't tell me until now.

We haven't seen much of each other during the pandemic, but kept in touch regularly and did a video call with both families. From the sounds of it, he's living somewhere shitty now (texted from a hardware store buying DampRid, and the suburb he mentioned is not good).

I've tried calling a few times, but he didn't answer. We texted and he wanted me to call midweek. So I did, but again he didn't answer. Said he'd call me on the weekend. It's Sunday afternoon here, so I called him and he didn't answer. Texted me said he'll call tonight or tomorrow, then talked about catching up for dinner after Easter instead. By now, I have no faith in that happening.

Thinking I need to do a welfare check on him. I don't think he's found another woman... he's gained lots of weight and been a workaholic during the pandemic. I reckon she's kicked him out for something like drinking or gambling losses or something. I have an inkling they went through something like that once before, from her being sensitive about the presence of alcohol and him asking me to lend him money about a decade ago (I said I couldn't, and he let it pass). They've seemed fine since then.

I reckon my options are:
1. Call his wife and child and see if they're OK. I mean, they're family friends too... but I might offend him by finding out from them what happened.
2. Discuss with a mutual friend. But the mutual friend lives 3 hours' drive away and it may be a bad move to reveal what's up if I'm the only one who knows.
3. Force the issue with my non-responsive friend. Call more, try to catch up before Easter (but I don't know where he lives now).
4. Do nothing. Just keep texting like he seems to want. It's his life.
5. ?

What do you think?
schild
Administrator

Reply #39827 on: April 09, 2022, 09:26:23 PM

Option 1 needs to happen regardless. I'm shocked you haven't done this. Ask her straight up for the details on what happened as it will help with option 3.

Option 2 is meaningless if mutual friend doesn't keep in touch regularly.

Option 3 needs to happen regardless. Life is hard, yeah, but you're obviously willing to help.  I wouldn't set a weird date (Easter) to catch up. Just make sure he's not living in a gutter full of drugs.

Option 4 nah this seems wrong. He clearly needs a friend right now.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #39828 on: April 09, 2022, 09:32:03 PM

I do know his wife and child are okay, as I can see them doing their usual things on social media. Wanted to hear it from him first, but yeah, that's not happening. I didn't know it wasn't going to happen because we were supposedly going to talk. (edit) Have pretty much made up my mind I'm going to call his wife next.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 09:46:40 PM by Tale »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39829 on: April 09, 2022, 09:37:26 PM

If it was my best friend (I was his Best Man) I would try to find out where he's living now and go see him regardless of what he's saying in chat.
Pages: 1 ... 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: