Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:36:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1080 1081 [1082] 1083 1084 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3421050 times)
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #37835 on: July 27, 2018, 06:30:33 AM

Wait, that's for the movie?  I saw part of that clip over my daughter's shoulder yesterday and thought it was for some shitty WB series.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37836 on: July 27, 2018, 08:33:53 AM

It is for some shitty series on DC's streaming service.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #37837 on: July 27, 2018, 10:22:27 AM

Fuck Batman!
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #37838 on: July 27, 2018, 07:58:47 PM

That’s some hard hitting YA drama rite ther.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #37839 on: July 28, 2018, 07:10:45 AM

DC streaming service?  What's that?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37840 on: July 28, 2018, 09:22:46 AM

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37841 on: July 28, 2018, 01:57:46 PM

I have no idea how they haven't just given the creative reins over to the people responsible for their animation.  DC has good stories to tell, but outside of projects like Constantine and the Nolanverse Batman stuff, they've cocked everything up when they try to take it to the big screen.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37842 on: July 31, 2018, 06:46:15 AM

Survived Duck Tour.  We were talking about the deaths while waiting for our turn.  I've done more dangerous things.  Presumably I'd have enough time and sense to grab a vest, with the worst part being the likely loss of my new iPhone and some potentially un-uploaded photos.

The Duck Tour was underwhelming (to me).  Probably should have visited the Bill & Melinda building instead.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37843 on: July 31, 2018, 06:49:48 AM

Going to Iceland for a week in February.  Suggestions welcome.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37844 on: July 31, 2018, 09:34:24 AM

Going to Iceland for a week in February.  Suggestions welcome.

Dress warm?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37845 on: July 31, 2018, 09:47:31 AM

Going to Iceland for a week in February.  Suggestions welcome.
It's awesome.  I went there in December two years ago.  It was just for a few days while I was on my way back to the US to pretend I like my family, but was a great time.  Where all will you be going?

Biggest thing I can tell you (Which you probably already know) is that your daylight will be severally limited (in December the sun was coming up between 10 and 11, and going down between 2 and 3) so look up your exact daylight hours and plan appropriately.

Gullfoss is super impressive and worth a visit.  The golden circle in general is fun, but that was the only thing that really impressed of the things we visited on it.

Edit:  Oh, also, its almost as expensive as Norway (Which is worst in the world).  Be prepared to get a kick in the balls wallet every single time you go out to eat/drink for the night.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37846 on: July 31, 2018, 10:34:40 AM

There is too much to do, which is what prompts this post.  We have gotten as far as looking at all the things.

I expect it will be about the same temperature as Krakow, but more wind, so the clothing bit is done.

Good tip on the expenses.  I suppose I will finally spend cash for ISK, just not in EVE Online.  I assume they have modern things like ATMs and cell service.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37847 on: July 31, 2018, 11:09:08 AM

I expect it will be about the same temperature as Krakow, but more wind, so the clothing bit is done.

There is an unbelievable amount of wind. There's practically no vegetation taller than grass so there's no windbreaks outside of the cities, and the sea means there's an effective fetch of about a thousand miles. You will be walking practically doubled over if you are going into the wind.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #37848 on: July 31, 2018, 11:22:40 AM

The weather there is CRAZY.  The hotels made jokes about it, which I took as the standard sort of boasting nations makes to tourist about how unique their country is.  But its true.  Walking outside for a few hours, it went from Sunny, to snowing, to hail, to a blizzard blowing snow sideways, to sunny, to rain, to... you get the point.  I am not even slightly exaggerating.  It has the the craziest weather I have ever seen anywhere on the planet.  Literally can shift to something totally different every 10-20 minutes.

Reykjavik is a super nice little town, but you quickly see all there is to see after a day or two.  Based on my experiences just hanging there, and talking to friends who’ve traveled more, I recommend you try to tour around the island, staying at different locations and seeing all you can at all parts.  I know this is dependent on how long you will be there, but renting a car and road tripping around the island seems to be the best way to go.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37849 on: July 31, 2018, 12:06:28 PM

The best way to go anywhere is to have a guided tour. Planning, and executing the plan, is not fun. I don't even drive myself on business trips anymore.

No Saturday flights mean we will have a short week and we are thinking about a few 3-day options that should hit the major points such as nearly dying on top of a glacier and nearly dying in a volcano, perhaps with a visit to a deadly black-sand beach.  We could also stay in a ramshackle cabin or a clear plastic bubble.

Initially I had the idea we should just stay in the best hotel in Reykjavik and do daytrips, but prices are higher than expected.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #37850 on: July 31, 2018, 12:14:15 PM

Get use to that.   awesome, for real

But yeah, if your time is more limited, then do the pre-planned trips.  They were surprisingly affordable considering everything else.  Crazy cheep flights in and out as well (its a trap).

-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37851 on: July 31, 2018, 04:45:07 PM

I'm not sure I'd call the flights cheap, but then I only fly Delta and our new low bar is Comfort Plus.  In fact I'm going to apply for a Platinum AMEX just because I can't seem to stay home anymore. Just in 2018, I've been to Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Budapest, New Orleans, Seattle, Juneau, Skagway, and Victoria B.C. (and seen about 30 bald eagles). I'm scheduled to go to Asheville N.C., Hilton Head, Cancun, and Didney Worl before it's over.  I'm not sure where my life went wrong.

I didn't count Massachusetts because it was for work and it sucks.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #37852 on: July 31, 2018, 04:51:15 PM

anyone have any experience in Portugal?  Girlfriend is presenting a paper there in several months.  I am tagging along. Conference is in Lisbon, from there who knows.   

From my initial reading it sounds like an amazing place to go.  Going to buy a lonely planet book (that still the go to brand?) etc.   We are probably going to spend a week total there.  We like to hike, raft, and eat...

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37853 on: July 31, 2018, 04:56:32 PM

If I ever go to Portugal, the main thing on my list is going to be seeing Portuguese Sundews growing in the wild.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drosophyllum

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37854 on: July 31, 2018, 04:57:08 PM

This is totally unhelpful but I've enjoyed almost every place I went in Europe.  If there was a good part in Berlin, I missed it.  Anyway, same rules as touring the U.S.: Be courteous, eat at the hole-in-the-wall places with customers, and take pictures of manhole covers.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #37855 on: July 31, 2018, 10:06:50 PM

Computer upgrade is coming at a good time apparently. Current PC is making a speedrun of falling apart. CPU fan stopped spinning and now I'm getting memory errors. YAY.

-Rasix
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #37856 on: July 31, 2018, 10:17:01 PM

I'm not sure I'd call the flights cheap, but then I only fly Delta and our new low bar is Comfort Plus.  In fact I'm going to apply for a Platinum AMEX just because I can't seem to stay home anymore. Just in 2018, I've been to Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Budapest, New Orleans, Seattle, Juneau, Skagway, and Victoria B.C. (and seen about 30 bald eagles). I'm scheduled to go to Asheville N.C., Hilton Head, Cancun, and Didney Worl before it's over.  I'm not sure where my life went wrong.

I didn't count Massachusetts because it was for work and it sucks.
Ah, forgot you are in a delta hub (I've probably been on between 200-300 flights in my life at this point, and I have never once flown on Delta for some reason).  I was referring to WoW air, their super budget airline, which doesn't fly to you.  I flew them one way from Iceland to San Francisco for $250, which was an insane under cut of all other airlines at the time.

anyone have any experience in Portugal?  Girlfriend is presenting a paper there in several months.  I am tagging along. Conference is in Lisbon, from there who knows.   

From my initial reading it sounds like an amazing place to go.  Going to buy a lonely planet book (that still the go to brand?) etc.   We are probably going to spend a week total there.  We like to hike, raft, and eat...

Hey, I may be going to Portugal in a few months as well!  Interested to hear suggestions also.

-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37857 on: August 01, 2018, 07:31:16 AM

If you haven't flown Delta, don't start because you'll hate all the other airlines.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37858 on: August 01, 2018, 07:48:33 AM

I get this in an email from my wife this morning: https://www.atlasobscura.com/unusual-trips/arctic-2019/

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #37859 on: August 01, 2018, 08:44:56 AM

I get this in an email from my wife this morning: https://www.atlasobscura.com/unusual-trips/arctic-2019/

Your husband being eaten by a polar bear sounds like a pretty good way to get life insurance to pay out.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #37860 on: August 01, 2018, 08:57:27 AM

If you haven't flown Delta, don't start because you'll hate all the other airlines.
It is a major US Airline.  I HIGHLY DOUBT this would be the case.

-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37861 on: August 01, 2018, 11:28:19 AM

Jet Blue I find tolerable with the upgrade package (skip the lines, a few more inches of legroom).

Delta 1st class is decent, I got bumped back to coach once though and it was cattle transport.

I take the train when I can, even though the border crossing back into the US is just silly long.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #37862 on: August 03, 2018, 06:20:57 AM

Today I was supposed to play Swedish championship in bridge.Yesterday started with a cancelled flight and wouldn’t get one until too late. Went with train, would arrive with an hour to spare. It ended at a stoplight for six hours.At least I get to play side tournaments but the highlight of the year turned into a shitshow.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
schild
Administrator

Reply #37863 on: August 03, 2018, 06:37:36 AM

You arrived late to the national championship for bridge? Did they give you an honorary crochet kit and denture glue as consolation?

But seriously, are you that competitive with bridge? I need the story of how you got there.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #37864 on: August 03, 2018, 07:03:02 AM

Love Bridge but it's definitely the sport of my over 75 parents.

Is is big in Europe?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #37865 on: August 03, 2018, 07:36:28 AM

Either way, thats shitty man, sorry to hear.  It’s really aggravating to have something you worked towards like that be crushed by dumb luck.

-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37866 on: August 03, 2018, 09:39:26 AM

You arrived late to the national championship for bridge? Did they give you an honorary crochet kit and denture glue as consolation?

But seriously, are you that competitive with bridge? I need the story of how you got there.

Really ?  You're going to snark on card games ?  Really ?

Ok.

why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #37867 on: August 03, 2018, 03:03:32 PM

I always played Cards, was good at board games and needed a hobby after my mmo addiction ended. I’m extremely far from the elite but got bronze at district championship to qualify. Friday was basically a semi, went from 170 down to 52 pairs. I think there are 30000 members in Sweden.

When we have our internal league matches at the club we got 56 people playing, Friends that still stick to magic sometimes struggle with getting 10+ on their regular play times. Difference is they are considered old while I’m still young.

Since I started playing bridge I stopped enjoying strategy games, more fun outplaying human players than finding a static solution
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:38:58 PM by Gimfain »

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
schild
Administrator

Reply #37868 on: August 03, 2018, 04:37:17 PM

Not to bemoan any game but going from single player strategy games straight to bridge is... Interesting? As Ironwood mentioned, Magic? Also, board games?

But then, bridge is almost entirely geriatrics in America.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #37869 on: August 03, 2018, 07:43:25 PM

I'm closing in on geriatric myself and I don't even know any bridge players. It's been a game for old people for as long as I can remember. Maybe it's rich, old, WASPy kind of game?
Pages: 1 ... 1080 1081 [1082] 1083 1084 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: