Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:22:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Newbie to magic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie to magic  (Read 9738 times)
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

on: August 14, 2006, 06:19:44 PM

I often wondered what this was about. But a few days ago , Righ hinted that I might could become a cunning old fart if I played (and played well, a nother matter entirely). So any way, here I am and it is fun. I read what I could. Joined leagues and made decks and played them. Posted my drafts on Starcitygames.com and got a reply. Tryed that hand and it worked better. But I'm using different cards and I think thats the point. Learn the cards. Learn the game. One thing I gotta say. Yes, Rav isn't newbie friendly. I joined a 9th, kami, and rav league. But Rav is a ball to play. Keeps you very busy. Lots going on. any way , Thanks Righ for pushing me over the edge. I wish I could say cunning old fart is in the works. But, At least I'm working on it.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 06:33:36 PM

Just watch your spend button.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
hal
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 06:52:33 PM

Ya, thats not huge right now. Leagues are 20 ish a pop. Yes, I very much want to make a white weenie deck and wander into tournaments. But.1. I know better 2. Thats 200 bucks!!! I kinda like the league format as money isn't the issue. Theres the luck of the draw but more important. What did you make of the cards you drew? So any way I'm approaching the game carefully. But I do at least like the league. Haven't tried the draft but again its a format you cant buy. So, I understand your caution but I'm continuing. I would like it if  just 1 person thought I was a cunning old fart. I really would!

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:05:43 PM

I only say this because I ended up running up a few hundred dollars with MtG:O. Lots of Drafts. Lots of Leagues, and then more leagues because I hated the draw I got in my first leagues.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 08:05:51 PM

In general,  "core" sets (the main numbered ones, like 9th) are designed to be easy for newbies.  Wizards tries to avoid complicated mechanics and what not in them.

If you've been playing a while,  core sets can tend to be boring.  Both Marg and I noticed 9th seems to play itself in draft/limited situations.

Rav is an interesting set because they're are a bunch of good mechanics running around,  and not very many huge bombs.  

Kami has a bunch of shitty mechanics (soulshift?  bah!).  Mostly,  Kami tends to be bomb-dependent.  "He who drafts the Jitte/Kokusho/etc., wins!"

I got my ass handed to me a couple times last week in Rav draft,  so I'm in a league now.  I definitely lose the urge to draft when I blow a few.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 08:34:14 PM

Rav has a *lot* of activated abilities and other things like that.

It took me a long time to adjust from playing in real life casually to playing online. For example I would miss regenerate all the time because I would wait until damage was applied, but technically that is too late. Maybe it's easier if you never played casually since you don't get sloppy with the rules.

Leagues are without a doubt the best way to go for beginners, as well as just casual games. Leagues will teach you something about individual card valuations and how to put together a coherent deck that works.

Draft not only requires individual card valuations and deck building but it also forces you to understand the set mechanics better, plan in advance and come up with a unified strategy.

With a league you can look at your cards and cobble together something decent as certain colors will just be deeper than others. In draft you really have to define your strategy based on the first few cards you draft. In a full block draft you have to understand what is in each of the three sets, be able to switch colors and keep options open, etc. For example in Rav full block draft you want colors that are represented in all 3 sets in the block.

Draft can be overwhelming if you don't have enough experience, because there are so many points you can go wrong at. I think a lot of people who jump into draft too early have a lot of trouble improving because it's hard to identify where you went wrong.

---

If you want any commons or uncommons from Guildpact or 9th  let me know, I have a bunch that I'm probably never going to use again.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 10:11:04 PM

If you want any commons or uncommons from Guildpact or 9th  let me know, I have a bunch that I'm probably never going to use again.

Same here.  I have a huge number of commons and uncommons from drafting.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 02:18:05 AM

Like others have said the trick is to play limited leagues and casual for a good while. Leagues are good because you get to play a lot, and you get to play good players so you will improve over time. The top end of a league is extremely competitive.

As you identified competitive constructed is unreasonably expensive at this time because to get competitive level *land* will cost you over a hundred tickets right now, in any format (and then you need to start buying spells...). Then you'll lose lots till you get good (the tournament practice room is significantly below the standard of a PE tourney, so if you can't pwn in there, leave the constructed tournaments alone).

Release leagues are always espeicially good fun, not least because the standard of play is a bit lower, and the prize support a bit better, plus you walk away with a non-newbie avatar. Coldsnap release this week ftw!

When you do start drafting, download DraftCap from Blargware, it's a free draft recorder, people either here, or much better players on magic sites will be able to help you with where you drafted right/wrong.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 02:09:27 PM

I have not played in any leagues.  I figured that they were just an ongoing stream of drafted decks?  Reading above, looks like I was wrong.  How do you get your cards/decks in leagues (aside from buying them of course).

I played a few Kamigawa drafts with folks at work, then later Ravnica.  Jitte never showed.  Overall we had a lot of fun.  Blue was underwhelming, and Green could easily dominate, but we often had very competitive games.  More fun with Kamigawa than Ravnica.  I think Kamigawa just works better for drafting.  Ravnica works better when you construct your decks.  Lots of synergy in Ravnica. 

I will miss Kamigawa when they retire it.

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 02:19:07 PM

I played the card game back in college -- what, 12 years ago? I'm sure I still have the cards gathering dust in my garage. I enjoyed the whole deck construction and strategic style of play. What's it take to start playing online?
hal
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 03:29:20 PM

To start in league. !. First check out which leagues are running. If you can find one that you want in its first week. Double click on it and a join button will show. Click on that and a pop up window will come up with the decks and boosters that league requires. Buy them and 2 tickets. Now, go back to your league screen and click join. The game will open the cards in a league window and your in.

To start playing online costs 10 bucks but you'll get a coupon for 10 bucks at the store. The game its self is a free download and there are free rooms where you can play with supplied cards totally free. But, really part of the game is to gather cards.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 04:28:58 PM

In leagues you just randomly open packs and get whatever is in them, you don't get to choose. But you play 5 games a week for 4 weeks and can play more than that if you want. It's a great way to get your feet wet with a set. If you've already played your 5 games or have been sucking you can try out some alternate builds to see how those work out.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
hal
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 08:16:36 PM

I'm going to post this here. At starcity theres just 1 guy responding. He seems nice and certinly seems knowlagable but I'm less than a week into this and I'd rather hear opinions than just get the best deck out of the cards.Today is booster day in kami league. Before booster my hand was...

(one of all)
nine-ringed bo
no-dachi
ronon warclub
barrel down sokenzan
devouring rage
glacial ray
path of anger's flame

hana kami
goblin cohort
akki underling
orochi ranger
gnarled mass
kami of the hunt
brutal deceiver
order of the sacred bell
rootrunner
ogre recluse
sachi daughter of seshiro
soul of magma
moss kami
oni of wild places
vine kami

9 forest
9 mountain

Now my available cards are...

Qty,Card Name

1,Akki Blizzard-Herder r 2, 1/1

1,Akki Underling r 2,2/1

1,Akki Underminer r 4, 1/1

1,Araba Mothrider w 2,1/1

1,"Ayumi, the Last Visitor" g 5,7/3

1,Barrel Down Sokenzan r mount x2=damage

1,Bile Urchin b 1,1/1

1,Brutal Deceiver r, 3,2/2

1,Call for Blood b,sac -/- sac power

1,Callous Deceiver u3, 1/3

1,Candles' Glow w2, prevent 3 dam

1,Child of Thorns g 1,1/1

1,Cleanfall w 3 destroy enh

1,Consuming Vortex  u 2 return crea

1,Counsel of the Soratami u3 draw 2

1,Death Denied b 2x return x from grave

1,Desperate Ritual r 2 add 3 r to mana

1,Devoted Retainer w 1, 1/1

1,Devouring Rage r 5 +3/0 xspirit sac

1,Dripping-Tongue Zubera g 2, 1/2

1,Fiddlehead Kami g 5, 3/3

1,Floodbringer u 2, 1/2

10,Forest

1,Gibbering Kami b 4, 2/2

1,Glacial Ray r 2, 2dam

1,Gnarled Mass g 3, 3/3

1,Gnat Miser b 1, 1/1

1,Goblin Cohort r 1, 2/2

1,Hana Kami g 1, 1/1

1,Harbinger of Spring g 5, 2/1

1,Hinder u 3 counter spell

1,Hundred-Talon Kami w 5, 2/3

1,Ideas Unbound u 2, draw 3

1,Imi Statue nt 3, cant untap more than 1

1,"Isamaru, Hound of Konda" w 1, 2/2

6,Island

1,Joyous Respite g 4 1 lift/land

1,Kabuto Moth w 3, 1/2

1,Kami of Tattered Shoji w 5, 2/5

1,Kami of the Hunt g 3, 2/2

1,Kami of the Waning Moon b 3, 1/1

1,Kiri-Onna u 5, return crea, return kiri (I got wasted by this card once)

1,Kumano's Blessing R 3, REMOVE INSTEAD OF GY

1,Lifespinner g4, 3/3

1,Marrow-Gnawer b 5, 2/3

1,Mending Hands w 1, prevent 4 dam

1,Midnight Covenant b 2, +1/+1 eot

1,Moss Kami g 6, 5/5

1,Mothrider Samurai w 4, 2/2

6,Mountain

1,Nezumi Ronin b 3, 3/1

1,Nine-Ringed Bo nt 3, 1dam, if gy remove

1,Ninja of the Deep Hours u 4, 2/2

1,No-Dachi nt 2, +2/+0

1,Ogre Recluse r 4, 5/4 tap if spell

1,Oni of Wild Places r 6, 6/5

1,Order of the Sacred Bell g 4, 4/3

1,Orochi Ranger g 2, 2/1

1,Overblaze r 4, dbl dam if per

1,"Oyobi, Who Split the Heavens" w 7, 3/6

1,Path of Anger's Flame r 3, +2/+0 eot

8,Plains

1,Presence of the Wise w 4, 2 life

2,Psychic Spear b 2, reaval hand discard 1

1,Pus Kami b 7, 3/3

1,Reach Through Mists  u 1, draw 1

1,Rend Flesh b 3, destory nonspirit critter

1,Rending Vines g 3, destory art or enh if +< # of cards in hand

1,Ronin Warclub nt 3, +2/+1

1,Rootrunner g 4, 3/3

1,"Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro" g 4, 1/3 snakes +0/+1

1,Shinen of Flight's Wings u 5, 3/3

1,Shinen of Stars' Light w 3, 2/1

1,Sideswipe r 2, change arcane tgt

1,Skullsnatcher b 2, 2/1

1,Soratami Mirror-Guard u 4, 3/1

1,Soul of Magma r5, 2/2

1,Soulless Revival b 2, gy to hand

6,Swamp

1,Takeno's Cavalry w 4, 1/1

1,Teardrop Kami u 1, 1/1

1,Terashi's Cry w 4, tap 3

1,That Which Was Taken nt 5, make 1 indestructable

1,Three Tragedies  b 5, discard 3

1,Torrent of Stone r 4, 4 dam

1,Unnatural Speed r 1, haste

1,Uproot g 4, land on top

1,Veil of Secrecy u 2, unblockable and no target

1,Vigilance w 1, vigilance

1,Vine Kami g 7, 4/4

1,Vital Surge g 2, 3 life

1,Waking Nightmare b 3, discard 2

1,Wandering Ones u 1, 1/1

1,Waxmane Baku w 3, 2/2

I just realised this is a stroke of genius as I'll now be able to try to build a deck from work. YAY. But I'm mostly posting this to hear your thoughts.
I will try to build a deck out of it myself. The colors are much more ballanced now so there may be more possibilites.

Err, the spell checker is on fire. I ment well... really

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 09:14:06 PM

I'm going to withhold comment.

I never played enought Kami Block to give you any good advice.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 11:45:27 PM

First, let's organize by color cards that don't suck. These cards aren't all playable in every deck but they can be good in the right

deck.

White:

Araba Mothrider
Candles Glow
Hundred Talon Kami
Kabuto Moth
Isamaru
Mothrider Samurai
Oyobi
Shinen of Star's Light
Waxmane Baku

Green:
Ayumi, Last Vistor
Gnarled Mass
Hana Kami
Kami of the Hunt
Moss Kami
Order of the Sacred Bell
Orochi Ranger
Rootrunner
Sachi, Daughter of Whoever

Red:
Barrel Down Sokenzan
Brutal Deceiver
Glacial Ray
TOrrent of Stone

Blue:
Consuming Vortex
Counsel of the Soratami
Floodbringer
Kiri-Ona
Ninja of the Deep Hours
Shinen of Flight's Wings
Soratami, Mirror-Guard

Black:
Death Denied
Gibbering Kami
Nezumi Ronin
Rend Flesh
Soulless Revival

First I would cut black. As a splash color red is probably better and black is very shallow.

From red I would plan on slpashing Glacial Ray and Torrent of Stone. Unfortunately Barrel Down is not very splashable. Red is not very

deep, it has some cards I didn't list that can be ok but nothing really special.

From there I would probably play white/green just because that's the only combo that gives me enough non-sucky creatures. Kabuto-Moth

works nicely with green fat. Hopefully you can jigger it enough to get some spirits/arcane for Waxmane, splicing, etc.

How about:

Gnarled Mass (spirit)
Hana Kami (spirit)
Kami of the Hunt (spirit)
Moss Kami (spirit)
Order of the Sacred Bell
Orochi Ranger
Rootrunner (spirit)
Hundred Talon Kami
Kabuto Moth (spirit)
Isamaru
Mothrider Samurai
Oyobi (spirit)
Shinen of Star's Light (spirit)
Waxmane Baku (spirit)
Child of Thorns (it's a spirit and annoying)
Fiddlehead Kami (spirit) (Not sure about this one)

Glacial Ray - Arcane/splice
Torrent of Stone - arcane/splice
Candle's Glow - arcane/splice
Terashi's Cry - arcane (finisher)

No-Dachi

This gives you plenty of arcane to splice into and recover with Hana Kami, as well as plenty of spirits to activate other spirits. It's a couple cards short so fill in with more spirits / soulshift / arcane. I wasn't paying much attention to what creatures have soulshift so you might want a few more of those.

The basic strategy here is play some white flyers and green beaters, play a bunch of spirits to get counters on waxmane, +1/+1, etc, and splice Ray as much as you can. Sac Hana Kami to get Ray or some other target back (preferably Ray most of the time), then soulshift Hana Kami back to your hand if you can, then rinse and repeat. Do your damage with flyers and beaters (along with moth to make things really annoying) and clear blockers/finish with ray, torrent and cry.

The other possibility I can see here is instead of red go with Rend Flesh and Death Denied. It might be hard to make the mana work for DD but it's really a mid to late game card to if you can't cast it when you first draw it that might be ok. Death Denied, soulshift and Hana Kami together are nasty. Since you don't have any mana fixing or accel at all I might shy away from that though. With the double black cost you would need 4-5 swamps in your deck which already has guys like Gnarled that want 1GG.

hal
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 06:15:44 PM

Well ninth is more my speed at the moment. And today is booster day for ninth so ill submit my cards and the deck I built for your consideration.

Qty,Card Name

White

1,Mending Hands

1,Worship

1,Spirit Link

1,Warrior's Honor

1,Angelic Blessing

1,Serra's Blessing

1,Demystify

1,Master Decoy

1,Sanctum Guardian

1,Seasoned Marshal

1,Skyhunter Prowler

1,Venerable Monk

1,Samite Healer

1,Pegasus Charger

2,Pacifism

1,Suntail Hawk

Blue

1,Counsel of the Soratami

1,Sleight of Hand

1,Tidings

1,Mana Leak

2,Remove Soul

1,Treasure Trove

1,Dehydration

1,Fishliver Oil

2,Flight

1,Crafty Pathmage

1,Lumengrid Warden

1,Wanderguard Sentry

Black

1,Contaminated Bond

2,Fear

1,Bog Imp

1,Bog Wraith

1,Spineless Thug

1,Serpent Warrior

1,Ravenous Rats

1,Nekrataal

1,Mortivore

1,Hollow Dogs

1,Foul Imp

1,Festering Goblin

1,Deathgazer

1,Enfeeblement

Red

1,Boiling Seas

1,Flowstone Slide

1,Lava Axe

1,Panic Attack

1,Pyroclasm

1,Volcanic Hammer

2,Seething Song

1,Shatter

1,Shock (premium)

1,Sudden Impact

1,Firebreathing

1,Balduvian Barbarians

1,Flowstone Shambler

1,Goblin Chariot

1,Goblin Mountaineer

1,Hill Giant

1,Sandstone Warrior

1,Whip Sergeant

Green

1,Biorhythm

1,Naturalize

1,Overgrowth

1,Regeneration

1,Tree Monkey

1,Scaled Wurm

2,Rootwalla

1,Order of the Sacred Bell

1,Llanowar Elves

1,Hunted Wumpus

1,Craw Wurm

1,Treetop Bracers

1,Giant Growth

No Color

1,Jade Statue

1,Rod of Ruin

1,Ur-Golem's Eye

1,Bottle Gnomes

1,Thran Golem

Heres the hand I make of it. Pretty simplistic. i'm just crittering out 2 suits and adding the new fattys to green.

Qty,Card Name

White

1,Warrior's Honor

1,Venerable Monk

1,Suntail Hawk

1,Skyhunter Prowler

1,Serra's Blessing

1,Seasoned Marshal

1,Sanctum Guardian

1,Samite Healer

1,Pegasus Charger

2,Pacifism

1,Master Decoy

1,Demystify

1,Angelic Blessing

Green

1,Tree Monkey

1,Treetop Bracers

1,Scaled Wurm

2,Rootwalla

1,Order of the Sacred Bell

1,Llanowar Elves

1,Hunted Wumpus

1,Giant Growth

1,Craw Wurm

Land
7,Forest

9,Plains

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 07:05:57 PM

Play worship. Auto-include.

Work in Shock and Volcanic Hammer. Take out Angelic Blessing.

hal
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 08:52:14 PM

Well, I spent way too much money today. Built a goblin deck that I have yet to win with and the following deck that I call the deck of denial. That I either win with or go 15+ turns (grinning from ear to ear). I guess I'm learning

Qty,Card Name

2,Air Elemental

4,Boomerang

4,Compulsive Research

2,Counsel of the Soratami

1,Crafty Pathmage

2,Drelnoch

4,Drift of Phantasms

2,Hinder

25,Island

1,Kiri-Onna

4,Mana Leak

2,Remand

2,Rune Snag

1,Shinen of Flight's Wings

4,Telling Time

hal
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 09:39:13 PM

It isn't weather you win or lose. it's did you piss the other guy off?  cheesy

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 08:31:40 AM

Good to see you're having fun.

My Magic week has been largely ruined by a bug with the online store meaning they suddenly won't accept money from my credit card even when the bank authorise it.

So no coldsnap for me  :-(.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 11:17:41 AM

I've had that same thing happen to me, just wait a few hours and try agian. It magically fixes itself it seems.

hal
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 06:36:41 PM

I'm probally 50 bucks into the game here. More than I thought I'd spend but not a budget item yet. Theres a lot of good info out on the net about this game. And some how I enjoy researching and reading. Learning how to buy was important. Learning what not to buy is huge. I'm probably still learning that. Cards can go from 5 cents to 15 bucks? I'm really enjoying control decks and I'm winning some, learning huge and really beginning to have fun. I want to thank all involved for getting me into this game. Its deep, sure its rock, paper, scissors at it's core but there's a lot going on.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 05:22:37 PM

@ Hal's 9th ed league:

That's a pretty hot card pool.  White is outstanding.  Green has solid creatures.  Thought about trying 3 colors?

You have some pretty absurd card drawing in blue (tidings, treasure trove, sleight),  and I actually think that remove soul is pretty good in limited/sealed (though this is a minority opinion).

Tidings, quite often, is good game.  Too much card advantage for an opponent to make up.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 07:44:42 PM

Well, tried out a Coldsnap release league....

Not too impressed.  Barely any removal,  and almost none against red, blue or black snow creatures.  Combine this with a fair amount of bombs.  Adarkar Valk, Juniper Order Ranger, a red dragon you can pay 3 to permanently tap a creature, the new hasty flying 5/5 vamp legend that draws you cards, etc.

Not even any decent immobilizing type spells like pacifism.  Frozen solid makes an appearance,  and a white card that's moderately useful, but not much more.

The new aurochs mechanic is kind of cheesy too.  Basically, Aurochs Herd fetchs you any kind of aurochs type creature when it comes into play.  I had 4 aurochs in my deck (3 herd, 1 of the 2 cc ones) so....  yah.

Got my ass handed to me by the dragon in two games, though.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 09:13:27 PM

Got my first pack to my Rav league (pack of Rav).  Man,  very lucky card pool.

B/W/G:

1 Bird of Paradise
1 Scarab (recurring one)
1 Mortify
1 Putrify
1 Condemn (foil)
1 Brainspoil
1 Faith's Fetters
1 Civic Wayfarer
1 Rakdos Guildmage(da bomb!  discard a card, pay 4, give a creature -2/-2)
1 Transluminant
1 Shrieking Grotesque
1 Conclave Equenaut
1 Stinkweed Imp
1 Vitu Ghazi (land that produces tokens)
1 Golgari Rotworm
1 Shambling Shell
1 Ghor Clan Savage
assorted others and land

I'm wrecking people.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 10:12:38 PM

Damn nice. Grave Shell Scarab is a total beast in limited. I had the misfortune of running to that a couple of times in draft, once he comes out it's nearly an auto-loss unless you can outrace somehow.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #26 on: August 26, 2006, 08:38:43 PM

@ Hal's 9th ed league:

That's a pretty hot card pool.  White is outstanding.  Green has solid creatures.  Thought about trying 3 colors?

Since I missed all the Coldsnap release leagues, i joined a 9th.  Not bad pulls.  Straight red/black beats with a 6/6 wumpus coming out when my oppoenet isn't holding a critter anyway.

Black
1 Royal Assassin
1 Consume Spirit
1 Festering Goblin (premium)
1 Serpent Warrior
1 Dark Banishing
1 Nekrataal
1 Ravenous Rats
1 Giant Cockroach
1 Foul Imp
1 Enfeeblement

Red
1 Panic Attack
1 Balduvian Barbarians
1 Goblin Mountaineer
1 Anaba Shaman
1 Hill Giant
1 Rathi Dragon
1 Sandstone Warrior
1 Pyroclasm 

Green
1 Hunted Wumpus
1 Treetop Bracers
1 Naturalize
1 Giant Growth

Other
1 Rod of Ruin

Land
1 Llanowar Wastes
2 Forest
7 Mountain
7 Swamp

BTW, the exporter program got changed to be, um less useful to me.  Bah.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: August 26, 2006, 10:03:46 PM

Instead of hopping back into Magic, I bought a 37" LCD.

Heh.
hal
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 02, 2006, 06:19:49 PM

Well, I'm a casual room rat now. Net decking off of building on a budget, or forum threads I think I can afford. I've a mono white combo, A mono green speed aggro, and a black / red magnivore that I alternate. I'm at the point that I realise I've made a bone headed play just after I've done it, and I could be a lot more crafty playing at end of turn or after combat. I think I'm beginning "to get it". I am having a lot of fun. I love squeaking one out and don't mind losing if it took them 15+ plays to get me. I put up a fight, I didn't just lay down.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 02, 2006, 10:17:39 PM

Well, I'm a casual room rat now. Net decking off of building on a budget, or forum threads I think I can afford. I've a mono white combo, A mono green speed aggro, and a black / red magnivore that I alternate. I'm at the point that I realise I've made a bone headed play just after I've done it, and I could be a lot more crafty playing at end of turn or after combat. I think I'm beginning "to get it". I am having a lot of fun. I love squeaking one out and don't mind losing if it took them 15+ plays to get me. I put up a fight, I didn't just lay down.

That's the best way to play.

I like Draft/Limited stuff as a means to get cards,  and the way you have to all play from a small card pool.  Winning a few rounds or drafts is just icing on the cake, since it pays for itself.

Sometimes I just like to experiment with different constructed strategies, though, in the practice rooms. 

It's tough breaking into Constructed these days because the land base is pretty expensive, and most decks are at least two if not three colors.  For instance, I was going to throw together a Zoo type deck (R/G/W beats, with some burn and pump) but that means having 12 dual lands, like 8 pain lands, etc.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Newbie to magic  
Jump to: