Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:44:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: The End Times Are Upon Us 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The End Times Are Upon Us  (Read 10102 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: July 14, 2006, 04:47:35 PM

The End Times Are Upon Us

Valve revealed, via Steam, a new press release today. The salient bit:

Bellevue, WA, July 14, 2006 - Valve®, developer of the blockbuster series Half-Life® and Counter-StrikeTM, unveiled Team Fortress® 2 and Portal, two new games to be included in its next release, Half-Life® 2: Episode Two. In addition, the studio announced its plans to deliver these products, plus enhanced versions of Half-Life 2 and Episode One, in one tremendous package for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Emphasis added.

Team Fortress 2 is in the running with DNF for the longest development time of a AAA-budget title. I remember flipping through PC Gamer at lunch with friends and talking about how awesome the VOIP lipsynching tech and huge maps and diverse tactical options were gonna be when it was released in 2000. I also remember thinking that a Voodoo2, or perhaps a TNT2, would be really sexy in my Pentium 133.

That said, HL2:E2 - and by extension, TF2 - is set for release in Q4 2006 now.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 05:06:48 PM

I don't care, I'll take it....as long as I can be a spy again, run into the enemy base, play dead, and then jump up and stab snipers in the back.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 05:40:34 PM

Dammit, I'll have to buy Half-Life 2 to play this, won't I? 

Anyone have any information in TF2?  The blurbs about it I'm seeing are not synching up well with how I recall them describing it back in the day.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 05:43:37 PM

Anyone have any information in TF2?  The blurbs about it I'm seeing are not synching up well with how I recall them describing it back in the day.

No idea. I remember all sorts of bizarre shit like being able to blow up bridges as a commando-like unit, vehicles, cooperative emplacements (e.g. load ammo for a buddy, increase ROF), etc.

But that was back in 99-00 - Triassic by Internet standards.

All I know now is that it's a cooperative team/class-based shooter type game in the Source engine.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 05:54:43 PM

If it is half as addictive as the original then my college career is officially doomed. For folks curious about the new art-style, there's some sort of marketing picture in the Gamespy article.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/half-life-2-episode-two/718526p1.html

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 06:01:46 PM

If that's an actual engine shot, then they're totally revamped the graphics.

Not that that's a bad thing...they might be going for a more comical outlook on combat. I just want my spy and sniper, damnit.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 06:44:30 PM

Well, HL2: Ep1 was stand-alone, so maybe TF2 will be as well.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 08:07:54 PM

I am going to take the long shot here and say that it's going it be like HL2DM but with a team and without killing people with toilet bowls.  Of course I'll have to check it out.  Sigh.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 10:29:08 PM

Not that that's a bad thing...they might be going for a more comical outlook on combat. I just want my spy and sniper, damnit.

Gabe Newell said that they wanted it to look like you were playing a Pixar movie. To lazy to link to a quote, so just trust me. Gabe has also lost a lot of weight since the old days.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 10:52:35 PM

Gabe Newell said that they wanted it to look like you were playing a Pixar movie.
The model/character design reminds me of Evil Genius.
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 10:08:10 AM

I really hope they don't fuck this up.  Team Fortress and Thunderwalker CTF were pure bliss and introduced me to my favorite genre, team based fps.

I never played TFC.  Is it worth $9.95 at this point?  Seems kind of steep for a HL mod but the gameplay videos look entertaining.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 10:29:39 AM

I never played TFC.  Is it worth $9.95 at this point?  Seems kind of steep for a HL mod but the gameplay videos look entertaining.

It was a free add-on when I played it; part of one of the official patches, I think.  Are they seriously charging for it now?  That would be taking asshattery to a whole other level.

Half-Life as a whole is well worth ten bucks at this point, in my opinion, but just TFC by itself, I'm not so sure of.  I don't know how popular it is these days, and the game is kind of past it's prime, y'know?  Plus, there are TF mods out for just about everything out there (Q3Fortress for Quake3, for example, or Fortress Forever which is still apparently being worked on and trying to stay very close to TFC) and those are free.
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 11:31:50 AM

It was a free add-on when I played it; part of one of the official patches, I think.  Are they seriously charging for it now?  That would be taking asshattery to a whole other level.

I'm afraid Valve really is charging $9.95 for TFC, here.  At $5 I probably would have charged it without really even thinking about it much, but $10 set off alarms.  The Half Life 1 Anthology package looks like a pretty good deal and I have never played the HL expansions so I may pick it up.  I'm getting a little bored of Day of Defeat as I'm in the mood for something a little more obnoxious.  Fortress Forever looks promising, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Anyways, I have high expectations for TF2.  I have very fond memories of the original mod.  At the time, I thought it was the coolest game ever, seriously.  It sounds silly, but I couldn't believe I was online playing against some 18+ other real people in a user created mod!  It, along with the other great QuakeWorld mods really did change what I expected in a game and how I played them.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 08:35:31 PM

I really hope they don't fuck this up.  Team Fortress and Thunderwalker CTF were pure bliss and introduced me to my favorite genre, team based fps.
Who were you in TWCTF?
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 04:13:29 AM

Christ I remember playing TF back when it was a Quake mod!

Always wondered what happened to TF2.............. Guess they figured that if Prey could release after being in dev for years so could TF2!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 04:18:10 AM by 5150 »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 07:02:37 AM

stab snipers in the back.
I wish our old BF1942 clan site was up with our big sniper kill thread. Rules were you took a pic of the sniper...sniping, then knife killed him and took a shot of the body. Fun stuff, it was one of our specialties.
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 03:25:11 PM

Who were you in TWCTF?

WWonka or Nunki usually, with or without a [4h] tag.  I typically played on my ISPs server (quake.tir.com) and some other one that I can not for the life of me remember the name of.  I also played alot of Holy Wars under the name AnitaTwat.  Those were the days...

I always use the name The Bird Flu whenever I play a FPS now.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: The End Times Are Upon Us  
Jump to: