Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1310692 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3605 on: April 06, 2011, 07:19:30 AM

Yeah, I went there too.  Was very confused there for a bit.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #3606 on: April 06, 2011, 07:31:41 AM

Vampires need love, too!
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3607 on: April 06, 2011, 08:48:12 AM

The modern trend of Urban Fantasy makes me feel a bit sorry for...shit, can't remember the author's name, but she wrote a book back in the 80s called War of the Oaks that would have made her a fortune had she held off for two decades.

Fits right in, had a good mix of romance/fantasy without turning the lead into a sexual supernatural predator -- it really was more romance. Had a lot of fashion (sadly 80s-fied) and music. I think the story was like she was in a band? And the fairies wanted her to play for them? And she got into it with the Queen fairy and fell in love with one of those trickster fae, who turned out to be her de facto roadie?

I dunno. I think the hook was there was a war, and since faerie were immortal they had to suck in a mortal and do a bit of a ritual to make it possible for either side to kill the other. Otherwise it was just "ouch, please remove your sword, it's making my gorgeous fairie hair look bad".
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3608 on: April 06, 2011, 09:05:07 AM

Emma Bull is the author you're thinking of.

If you want more urban and cyberpunk with some elements of fantasy thrown in in the 2nd book in the series, I can always point you to my sig.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3609 on: April 06, 2011, 09:16:37 AM

Finally got around to reading Bruce Campbell's autobiography If Chins Could Kill. Highly entertaining and a very breezy read. I wish he would update it with what he has been doing for the last decade.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3610 on: April 06, 2011, 09:49:09 AM

Emma Bull is the author you're thinking of.

If you want more urban and cyberpunk with some elements of fantasy thrown in in the 2nd book in the series, I can always point you to my sig.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Yep, that's the name. Huh, looking her up --- she's kept busy. Lots of anthologies, a massively praised work in 91, apparently War for the Oaks was optioned at one point for a movie. I guess missing the boat didn't hurt her too bad.

Good. It was a good enough book, and at the time it was a serious break from the epic fantasy of the day.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3611 on: April 06, 2011, 02:02:27 PM

I just finished Atlas Shrugged after a long slog.   swamp poop  

The bit where Galt goes nuts on the radio is a great read. (Edit, for Ironwood)  Otherwise, I thought it was a good book.  I think people get a little bent out of shape about the political aspect of it, because the message is obviously too simplistic to portray reality.  And yes, I understand that Rand is a nutjob herself, but the book turned out to be quite nice.  I will probably read the Fountainhead after a bit of a break into easier reads.  I also read Gap:  the Real Story again this AM.  It took me about an hour and a half.  I forgot it went so quickly.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:17:01 PM by ghost »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3612 on: April 06, 2011, 02:13:59 PM

Oh Dear God.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3613 on: April 06, 2011, 05:28:24 PM

The modern trend of Urban Fantasy makes me feel a bit sorry for...shit, can't remember the author's name, but she wrote a book back in the 80s called War of the Oaks that would have made her a fortune had she held off for two decades.

Fits right in, had a good mix of romance/fantasy without turning the lead into a sexual supernatural predator -- it really was more romance. Had a lot of fashion (sadly 80s-fied) and music. I think the story was like she was in a band? And the fairies wanted her to play for them? And she got into it with the Queen fairy and fell in love with one of those trickster fae, who turned out to be her de facto roadie?

I dunno. I think the hook was there was a war, and since faerie were immortal they had to suck in a mortal and do a bit of a ritual to make it possible for either side to kill the other. Otherwise it was just "ouch, please remove your sword, it's making my gorgeous fairie hair look bad".

War of the Oaks is more like the '80s style Contemporary Fantasy (what Urban Fantasy used to be called) of De Lint.  All-powerful faerie factions are manipulating her because they need a mortal involved otherwise neither side can die (and I think involves the protagonist getting sacrificed or screwed over in the bargain?) but she figures out a way to trick herself out of the situation.

It's more an updated faerie story, where "winning" is not getting fucked up by the supernatural beasties.

Most UF now, the protag would ding up a couple of levels and kill the all-powerful baddie.  Most of the UF now feels more like the authors started with the classic "farmboy/chosen one" of Epic Fantasy, but moved it to a supernatural present day.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3614 on: April 06, 2011, 06:28:53 PM

What you're trying to avoid is Paranormal Romance novels. I wish they'd stick them in the romance section, or a new section, instead of the science fiction section.

I swear 95% of the local library's 'Science Fiction' ebook collection is paranormal romance.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3615 on: April 06, 2011, 07:18:31 PM

Ah well.  So what to read now?  I'm thinking of going back through Imajica before I finish up the Gap series. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:05:24 AM by ghost »
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3616 on: April 06, 2011, 07:52:16 PM

Most UF now, the protag would ding up a couple of levels and kill the all-powerful baddie.  Most of the UF now feels more like the authors started with the classic "farmboy/chosen one" of Epic Fantasy, but moved it to a supernatural present day.
True, although some are better at it than others. Butcher's been pretty good at generally keeping it feeling like Dresden is always playing a bit out of his league, and while the Codex Alera books are pretty much "Hidden farmboy prince becomes Heroic Badass" it's done amusingly and well enough that it's hard to notice, and you don't really care. :) Tavi in Codex Alera is always fighting something stronger than he is, and Dresden at least usually feels outclassed.

Now that I think about it, probably 80% of the conflicts in both series are resolved less by raw power and more by clever application.

The Anita Blake books, on the other hand......*shudder*. It seems the more smutty and romance versions of UF tend towards personal conflict (relationship problems, emotional upheaval") with the baddies presenting either more of a sideshow, or doing mindfuck attacks.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3617 on: April 07, 2011, 11:40:23 AM

I sort of remember that the first few Anita Blake novels were okish, but then somewhere along the line she started sleeping with the vampires rather than killing them and it went rapidly downhill from there.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3618 on: April 07, 2011, 01:19:22 PM

I just finished Atlas Shrugged after a long slog.   swamp poop  

The bit where Galt goes nuts on the radio is a great read. (Edit, for Ironwood)  Otherwise, I thought it was a good book.  I think people get a little bent out of shape about the political aspect of it, because the message is obviously too simplistic to portray reality.  And yes, I understand that Rand is a nutjob herself, but the book turned out to be quite nice.  I will probably read the Fountainhead after a bit of a break into easier reads.  I also read Gap:  the Real Story again this AM.  It took me about an hour and a half.  I forgot it went so quickly.

It's THE REST of it that should be green.

Also, you totally missed the point of the people who worship this dizzy bint :  This was her portraying a reality.  This is the reality that people take from the book.  This is what they actually try to make a reality.  Which explains so very much.

Battlefield Earth, for example, is a complete pile of shite from start to finish.  There's a Whole Bunch of assholes that will disagree with me because I'm effectively dissing their GOD.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3619 on: April 07, 2011, 01:23:09 PM

I understand the political bullshit behind it, Ironwood, I just liked the book.  

Edit:  And I liked Battlefield Earth, too, although I wouldn't re-read it. 
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3620 on: April 07, 2011, 02:03:11 PM

Whoa, really ?

I read the whole fucking thing twice (and it's not a short book) and it was just shit from start to end.  Christ, John Christopher wrote it better and shorter, with just as lame an ending.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3621 on: April 07, 2011, 02:06:22 PM

It's not in my top 25 or anything.  I just remember I enjoyed reading it.  

Edit:  And you read it twice? Wow.  That's a thick ass book.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3622 on: April 07, 2011, 02:29:50 PM

I enjoyed Atlas Shrugged when I read it at age 23. I was also in the grips of a serious depression after having graduated college and not really knowing what the fuck to do with my life and thinking the whole "man of vision and intellect fights against all odds to succeed!" motto was the thrust of the story. I had also voted Republican in the only election I'd been involved in.

In short, I was a goddamned idiot. The book is horribly written, horribly intentioned and horrible from start to finish.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3623 on: April 07, 2011, 02:34:42 PM

I had also voted Republican in the only election I'd been involved in.

I see a lot of the abuse that goes on in the book in the very Republican party that it purportedly supports.  It's all the same cronyism in the right crowd, regardless of political bent.  I would argue that the current Republican/Tea Party fools more closely resemble James Taggart and crowd right now than the Democrats. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3624 on: April 07, 2011, 02:38:06 PM

Now you've done it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3625 on: April 07, 2011, 02:38:57 PM

Yes, except they are all free market fairy believers and could never possibly be considered Taggarts.

Rand's philosophy is not internally consistent, especially amongst her disciples.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3626 on: April 07, 2011, 04:02:09 PM

True, although some are better at it than others. Butcher's been pretty good at generally keeping it feeling like Dresden is always playing a bit out of his league, and while the Codex Alera books are pretty much "Hidden farmboy prince becomes Heroic Badass" it's done amusingly and well enough that it's hard to notice, and you don't really care. :) Tavi in Codex Alera is always fighting something stronger than he is, and Dresden at least usually feels outclassed.

Now that I think about it, probably 80% of the conflicts in both series are resolved less by raw power and more by clever application.

Butcher does a fair amount of characters dinging up, especially in the early portion of the series, but he did move towards Harry cutting deals enemy of my enemy style as well as crazy like a fox plans.  (Zombified T-Rex being at the top of the list as far as crazy like a fox plans go.)

The early books, I swear Harry gets XP for each ass-kicking he takes until he dings, then beats the boss.

The Anita Blake books, on the other hand......*shudder*. It seems the more smutty and romance versions of UF tend towards personal conflict (relationship problems, emotional upheaval") with the baddies presenting either more of a sideshow, or doing mindfuck attacks.

The early Anita Blake books are decent reads.  It's more "woman with issues protects normals from monsters, wonders if she is turning into a monster"....  you'd never know that Anita was kind of a prude with a bunch of sex issues do to a nasty breakup from the later books though, where "plot" becomes how many werewolves/vampires she can gangbang. 

I'm not being funny.  That literally was the plot from one of the later books. 
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3627 on: April 07, 2011, 05:11:48 PM

Butcher does a fair amount of characters dinging up, especially in the early portion of the series, but he did move towards Harry cutting deals enemy of my enemy style as well as crazy like a fox plans.  (Zombified T-Rex being at the top of the list as far as crazy like a fox plans go.)

The early books, I swear Harry gets XP for each ass-kicking he takes until he dings, then beats the boss.

That part in Dead Beat is prolly one of my favorite moments in the Dresden books.   awesome, for real
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3628 on: April 07, 2011, 05:18:07 PM

That part in Dead Beat is prolly one of my favorite moments in the Dresden books.   awesome, for real
And somehow, the pun in the book title just became clear to me.  Facepalm

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #3629 on: April 08, 2011, 12:47:54 AM

I'm almost done with Yellow Blue Tibia by Adam Roberts. It's weird but pretty funny.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3630 on: April 13, 2011, 09:39:33 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3631 on: April 19, 2011, 07:16:02 AM

Finished reading Ursula K. LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness. I loved it, mainly because it was the type of book I had no idea what to expect out of. Stunningly original and well-written, even decades after it was first published. This is my first exposure to her work, and I definitely plan to read more.

Started on Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I don't know if it's the translation or the way it was written, but the language feels dull to me. It also feels like there is a really big story going on that I'm getting treated to a morsel at a time.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3632 on: April 19, 2011, 07:39:52 AM

Finished reading Ursula K. LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness. I loved it, mainly because it was the type of book I had no idea what to expect out of. Stunningly original and well-written, even decades after it was first published. This is my first exposure to her work, and I definitely plan to read more.
The Lathe of Heaven is generally considered one of her other premier works.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #3633 on: April 19, 2011, 01:48:06 PM

The Lathe of Heaven is generally considered one of her other premier works.

The Lathe of Heaven is good…

…must nab The Left Hand of Darkness from the library next visit.

Have read some of her other anthology type stuff (loosely based on Earthsea world) that was really good too.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3634 on: April 19, 2011, 02:10:49 PM

Haemish, from what I know of you, you have to get your hands on The Dispossessed by LeGuin. That, Lathe of Heaven & LHoD are considered her keystone books.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3635 on: April 20, 2011, 04:24:04 PM

Left Hand of Darkness is spectacular.  She's underrated, in my opinion.

Also, if anyone has a Nook and wants to read Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks it's on sale for 99 cents for April.  Read up!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3636 on: April 20, 2011, 04:50:40 PM

As one of the few sci-fi authors who actually gets books into regular English classes and the like I don't know if underrated is really the right word. Her books aren't front and center at the bookstore mostly because they're old.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #3637 on: April 20, 2011, 08:23:45 PM

Currently finishing Book 3 in Age of Misrule series by Mark Chadbourn.
Pretty good thus far for light hearted fantasy fiction with Celtic myths tossed into modern England.
The one female character Laura is a complete sociopathic bitch though.

Just purchased:
Martin's, A Game of Thrones
Lawhead's, King Raven trilogy which according to the jacket notes is a retelling of the Robin Hood stories(?)

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3638 on: April 21, 2011, 06:16:29 AM

I saw we got in Modesitt's newer Corean book, Lady-Protector. Title makes me chuckle. It's L.E. doing the L.E. thing, nothing new or surprising, but it comes at a perfect time: doing coursework and crunching nonfic and I need something light to read when I want to shut the brain down. If my brain weren't tired, I go on a tirade about how sloppy the writing, plot and plot devices have become.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3639 on: April 21, 2011, 06:37:34 AM

Scott Bakker's latest, The White-Luck Warrior, is out now.

It's The Silmarillion meets Dune, written by a guy with a PhD in philosophy.  Been savoring this book by only reading 30 or 40 pages at a time.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: