Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:23:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1310581 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3220 on: November 08, 2010, 12:23:43 PM

Errr.. uhh.. Reaper's Gale is after Midnight Tides.

STILL angry at Toll the Hounds Reaper's Gale.  awesome, for real

Starting on WoT book 11.  Came out in paperback at the end of September.   Finished "The Passage" prior to that.  Excellent book and I enjoyed it a lot, although a lot of it felt like someone trying to one up Stephen King.

edit: Reaper's Gale is the one with the ending that makes you want to jump off a bridge, right?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:27:35 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3221 on: November 08, 2010, 02:39:43 PM

So finished Gardens of the Moon, was going to run tot he library and pick up the next one but decided to check the shelf status....IT IS CHECKED OUT.

Sigh.

I liked it, need to read at least one more in the series before I make a final decision on Erickson tho.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3222 on: November 08, 2010, 03:25:57 PM

Errr.. uhh.. Reaper's Gale is after Midnight Tides.

STILL angry at Toll the Hounds Reaper's Gale.  awesome, for real

Starting on WoT book 11.  Came out in paperback at the end of September.   Finished "The Passage" prior to that.  Excellent book and I enjoyed it a lot, although a lot of it felt like someone trying to one up Stephen King.

edit: Reaper's Gale is the one with the ending that makes you want to jump off a bridge, right?

The Bonehunters is book six, which follows the Bonehunters and Tavore and wraps up some things in Malaz City.... and Esselmont's The Return of the Crimson Guard really follows this book chronologically.

Reaper's Gale is the one dedicated to Glen Cook, which is a big hint as to some of the things that happen at the end of the book.

Toll the Hounds is all about forcing yourself through 700 pages of shit for a pretty awesome 200 page climax/wrap-up.

So finished Gardens of the Moon, was going to run tot he library and pick up the next one but decided to check the shelf status....IT IS CHECKED OUT.

Sigh.

I liked it, need to read at least one more in the series before I make a final decision on Erickson tho.

Gardens of the Moon is the least polished book in the series, and overall probably the weakest.  It reads like a pastiche of Martin, Jordan, and Cook but it is the man's first novel.  I personally disliked the last three books more than GotM, but that was because I didn't like the style they were written in.  GotM is a much weaker book which I enjoyed more, but again I'm not holding the guy's first novel against him.

Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice (books 2 and 3) are both great epic fantasy books. 
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3223 on: November 08, 2010, 03:34:03 PM

Also:

Patrick Rothfuss has turned in the final manuscript for the sequel to The Name of the Wind, with a hard publication date of March 2011.  Basically, his publisher made him do some significant rewrites which were delayed by his girlfriend having their first child, and one of his parents passing away.

Rasix is dead on about The Passage.  It does feel like "in his prime" Stephen King.  It was engaging enough that I ripped right through it in a day or two.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #3224 on: November 08, 2010, 04:22:29 PM

I'm simultaneously reading The Way of Kings, a random "Age of Conan" (Huh) novel I bought because it had "Age of Conan" on the front page awesome, for real, Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas (having just recently finished The Three Musketeers) and soon - after posting this and watching Family Guy and/or Dexter - Towers of Midnight.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3225 on: November 09, 2010, 01:54:22 AM

Just finished the Evolutionary Void.

Guff.

On reflection, the whole Void trilogy :  Not Worth It.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #3226 on: November 09, 2010, 02:08:33 AM

It's making the tram ride to/from work less tedious, so in that regard it's worth it, but I'm not going to read through it a second time I don't think.

(the fact I managed to start with book 2 probably doesn't help, but PFH hasn't gotten the pageturning magic quite going like in the night dawn's trilogy.)

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3227 on: November 09, 2010, 05:52:58 AM

When you get to the end, you realise he's taken a pamphlet sized short story and made it into 3 huge volumes by a twofold strategy :

1 - Use a big Font.
2 - Put fuckloads of characters and unneccesary characterisation as well as plonking every single person that was in his other books in there.

It's not worth it.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #3228 on: November 09, 2010, 06:44:33 AM

Don't forget adding some multi-sex in there to keep us reading.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3229 on: November 09, 2010, 06:58:29 AM

No sex in the third one.

None.

Heartbreak

Glad I'm not the only one that liked Araminta getting multi-rumped though.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #3230 on: November 09, 2010, 08:42:17 AM

Someone somewhere recommended a YA series similar to by Patrick Ness beginning with The Knife of Never Letting Go as similar to the Hunger Games.  The first book was ok.  It was interesting enough and ended on a doozy of a cliff hanger so I gave the second one a try and am really glad I did.  The Ask and the Answer is really something else.  It also ends on a whoopper of a cliff hanger, but the strength of the book means I am looking forward to the last one.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3231 on: November 09, 2010, 11:12:37 AM

The Bonehunters is book six, which follows the Bonehunters and Tavore and wraps up some things in Malaz City.... and Esselmont's The Return of the Crimson Guard really follows this book chronologically.
Interesting, just started the Bonehunters...I'll slot in the Esslemont before I more to Reaper's Gale. Unfortunately, the budget crisis hit just as she put in the big order, so we only got three or four Eriksons and one Esslemont (night of knives?). Looks like I'll be tracking down a copy of Crimson Guard for my own shelf.

Edit: just checked the catalog and Crimson Guard is supposed to be on order. I don't know what that means anymore, but there is some hope it might show up if the funds were charged pre-austerity. Processing is god-awful slow.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:15:19 AM by Sky »
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3232 on: November 09, 2010, 11:27:01 AM

Interesting, just started the Bonehunters...I'll slot in the Esslemont before I more to Reaper's Gale. Unfortunately, the budget crisis hit just as she put in the big order, so we only got three or four Eriksons and one Esslemont (night of knives?). Looks like I'll be tracking down a copy of Crimson Guard for my own shelf.

Edit: just checked the catalog and Crimson Guard is supposed to be on order. I don't know what that means anymore, but there is some hope it might show up if the funds were charged pre-austerity. Processing is god-awful slow.

Wait until after Toll to read Crimson Guard.  The bulk of the book is a logical continuation to Empire politics after the Bonehunters, but towards the end there are a couple (important) bits of Toll referenced. 

There are also a couple of important deaths in Crimson Guard which may really change your view of the other books. 

Night of Knives is schlocky.  It's Esselmont's first novel, and reads like one...  it's not unreadable, but it's not very good.  Crimson Guard is much better, and reads very much like the early Erikson books.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3233 on: November 09, 2010, 11:34:47 AM

Reaper's Gale is the one dedicated to Glen Cook, which is a big hint as to some of the things that happen at the end of the book.

Toll the Hounds is all about forcing yourself through 700 pages of shit for a pretty awesome 200 page climax/wrap-up.

Well, I was just responding to:

I am reading book 3 of the Lisbeth Salander/Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy.  I was hoping for better.

Glad to hear Midnight Tides is great.  I had trouble sticking with Reaper's Gale.

which was highly confusing.

I think to get back into Erickson, I'll need to reread. I tried a little bit of Toll the Hounds and I was just lost.  That's a lot of pages to get back through, although it should be enjoyable.  I'll likely also get a lot more out of it this time.

Even though it's dedicated to Cook, what he did in that series (even The Silver Spike), didn't feel as cheap as what happened in Reaper's Gale. 

That'll have to wait until I get done with a few books I purchased recently.  It sucks having to pick between gaming and reading.  Alas, parenthood..

-Rasix
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #3234 on: November 09, 2010, 12:26:43 PM

Night of Knives is schlocky.  It's Esselmont's first novel, and reads like one...  it's not unreadable, but it's not very good.  Crimson Guard is much better, and reads very much like the early Erikson books.

Good to know. "Night of Knives" was very poorly written imo and I was avoiding 'Crimson Guard" because of it.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3235 on: November 09, 2010, 07:09:27 PM

Ahhhh, new job = money = I can hit up the book store again!  YAY!

I've been wanting to get the Esslemont books to see what I "missed" in the Malazan storyline, so now I can finally afford to.  I'm kind of afraid to go to Borders though because I fear I'll go crazy buying up books I haven't been able to for the past year.  While I'm enjoying reading my older books, there are so many new ones I've had to put off until now.

Plus going by the good things that have been said here in the thread, I'll probably be picking up the Mistborn books as well.

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #3236 on: November 09, 2010, 07:15:54 PM

Crimson Guard is just as good as the Erikson Malazan books, IMO, and I'm really looking forward to Stonewielder.

Just read The Mark of Ran by Paul Kearney. I liked it a lot more than what I had read of The Monarchies of God. Unfortunately, the series abruptly ends after the second book, due to Bantam dropping the series unexpectedly.

I tried to read Zoe's Tale by Scalzi, but the main character is a teenage girl and the events that happen in the book had already been told in another P.O.V., so I got tired of it pretty quickly.

Up next is an anthology of Conan stories by Howard titled The Bloody Crown of Conan, or Stories of Your Life by Ted Chiang.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3237 on: November 10, 2010, 07:31:02 AM

I've been wanting to get the Esslemont books to see what I "missed" in the Malazan storyline, so now I can finally afford to.  I'm kind of afraid to go to Borders though because I fear I'll go crazy buying up books I haven't been able to for the past year.  While I'm enjoying reading my older books, there are so many new ones I've had to put off until now.

Plus going by the good things that have been said here in the thread, I'll probably be picking up the Mistborn books as well.
Err....library?
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3238 on: November 10, 2010, 08:39:00 AM

Err....library?
Err.. sucky selection, sadly enough.

I do have a library card now (only took me 9 years to get one at this residence) but their selection seems to not include the latest releases.  Plus I tend to keep my books when I buy them, which is why I have over 800 paperbacks now.  I have found the library to be good for when I'm looking for compilations though, which is where I found some Sheri S. Tepper books I hadn't read before.  Stupid reason for not using the library though - I really don't like reading hardbacks, as odd as that may sound.  It bugs me to juggle such a bulky book when I'm trying to read.  Yes, I'm weird.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3239 on: November 10, 2010, 09:04:36 AM

Does your local branch belong to a system? Generally when we're adding to the collection, we weight system-wide holdings. So you may not see a book on our shelf, but you can get it in a couple days through interlibrary loan.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3240 on: November 10, 2010, 10:17:18 AM

Yeah, we're part of a fairly large system.  At least, I'm pretty sure they can request books from anywhere in Chicagoland.  It's that instant gratification thing I've got going for me though.  If I can buy it, I'll get it, but if a book's not available I have no problems with asking for it through the system.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3241 on: November 10, 2010, 09:24:30 PM

Crimson Guard is just as good as the Erikson Malazan books, IMO, and I'm really looking forward to Stonewielder.

Just read The Mark of Ran by Paul Kearney. I liked it a lot more than what I had read of The Monarchies of God. Unfortunately, the series abruptly ends after the second book, due to Bantam dropping the series unexpectedly.

I tried to read Zoe's Tale by Scalzi, but the main character is a teenage girl and the events that happen in the book had already been told in another P.O.V., so I got tired of it pretty quickly.

Up next is an anthology of Conan stories by Howard titled The Bloody Crown of Conan, or Stories of Your Life by Ted Chiang.

I liked Crimson Guard, though so far I think Esselmont still needs some maturing as a writer.  I don't think the characters were very good, though it might just be that they didn't live up to the hype since many of the fairly famous "Old Guard" types made their first appearances here after being mentioned in the main series and came off as non-entities.

Paul Kearney's The Ten Thousand is a pretty good entertainment read.

If that Conan collection is the second of the Howard Conan collections, you're in for a treat.  Some wonderful and surprisingly deep stories there like "Red Nails" and "Beyond the Black River" that delve into Howard's beliefs about the cyclical nature of civilization and barbarism, and some just plain awesome over the top Conan stuff.

Just ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon, including a bunch of hard to find Zelazny stuff.  Whenever I order from Amazon, I always forget that I've been meaning to order a bunch of thing like Jeffrey Ford, Kelly Link, Michael Swanwick and the hard to find older Tim Powers stuff.  I just blank.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3242 on: November 11, 2010, 09:56:12 PM

So I decided to pick Les Miserables up off my shelf and try to read it again (I bought it before I went to Australia several years ago thinking I would need a LONG book to read on the plane, never got more than a third through the book).

I am going to see how far I get before the library gets a copy of the second malazan book in  swamp poop

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3243 on: November 12, 2010, 07:02:38 AM

I actually find Les Miserables a pretty good read.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3244 on: November 12, 2010, 08:52:59 AM

So I decided to pick Les Miserables up off my shelf and try to read it again (I bought it before I went to Australia several years ago thinking I would need a LONG book to read on the plane, never got more than a third through the book).

I am going to see how far I get before the library gets a copy of the second malazan book in  swamp poop
Get the abridged version. Anything Victor Hugo ever wrote, get the abridged version. Why? Because he wrote his work for a serial -- publishing chapters in a newspaper. He got paid by the word.

Abridged versions are basically "What Hugo would have written, if he'd been paid for the book not for the length, and had an editor".
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3245 on: November 12, 2010, 09:01:53 AM

What Morat said.

The full version of Les Miserables is something you should read once, but after that, you don't miss the filler parts upon re-reads on the abridged versions.

I'm halfway through Banks' Surface Detail now, and liking it a lot. Then again, even bad Culture novels are readable.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3246 on: November 12, 2010, 09:21:17 AM

Seeing as I have the unabridged version. And I don't ever plan on reading it again, I will just keep plodding along 20-40 pages in a sitting. I'm sure it would help if I still had been in classes that were covering the post-revolutionary period in France as the names of famous people and events would not be so vague and cloudy.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3247 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:34 AM

I'm halfway through Banks' Surface Detail now, and liking it a lot. Then again, even bad Culture novels are readable.

Matter absolutely sucked balls.

While not a Culture book, Transitions was also fucking awful.  I'm going to read Surface Detail when the old man's finished with it, but I'm not holding out much hope.  Banks has 'gone off' recently.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3248 on: November 12, 2010, 01:17:18 PM

Seeing as I have the unabridged version. And I don't ever plan on reading it again, I will just keep plodding along 20-40 pages in a sitting. I'm sure it would help if I still had been in classes that were covering the post-revolutionary period in France as the names of famous people and events would not be so vague and cloudy.
I think the part of the unabridged version that almost made me break down was what felt like 200 fucking pages on the battle of Waterloo. Why? To let you know that M. Thénardier looted some dead people there, and happened to (and quite by accident) save another character's dad's life.

A fucking nightmareish, never-ending sequence on the history, setting, tactics, terrain, and outcome of Waterloo for something that could have, and should have, been done in about a page. Maximum. Especially since the character whose dad was saved finds out IN A LETTER. I mean, Jesus.

I didn't know Surface Detail was out....I'm still trying to sort through the new 'catagories' feature on my Kindle, which is something that should be filed under "About goddamn time, morons" category, next to "And make a fucking PC interface for God's sake, so I can sort this shit iTunes-style".
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3249 on: November 13, 2010, 11:11:10 AM

So my Malazan book showed up at the library through inter-library loanage.

It is an obviously many-times read Trade paperback. And it is in better shape than any TOR hardcover after it's second reading.

How can a company make trade paperbacks that are more resilient than their hardcovers. The mind, it boggles.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #3250 on: November 13, 2010, 12:19:16 PM

TOR used to have problems with their regular paperbacks too. I remember reading some larger TOR books and having the pages literally fall out as I turned them.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3251 on: November 13, 2010, 02:16:49 PM

Matter absolutely sucked balls.

While not a Culture book, Transitions was also fucking awful.  I'm going to read Surface Detail when the old man's finished with it, but I'm not holding out much hope.  Banks has 'gone off' recently.

Transition sucked only in that it started off well and then rambled into incoherence. Matter was great in concept, crappy in execution. This one, while still no Use of Weapons hasn't been bad so far.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3252 on: November 23, 2010, 06:09:58 PM

Charles Yu, How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional World, is a lot of fun.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #3253 on: November 24, 2010, 03:48:18 AM

I just finished Against All Things Ending - Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.  It wasn't that great. If you aren't a big Donaldson fan and haven't been keeping up with this latest series it's probably best not to bother until he's written book 4 and finished it up.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3254 on: November 24, 2010, 08:30:20 AM

Just finished Surface Detail. Interesting exploration of some of the outcomes of 'widely available' technology (in this case, the ability to store and run mind-states in computers).

It's a different take than, say, Stross' -- but very interesting. Especially the notion of Heavens and Hells.

Also, I remain fond of the Culture ROU's and, most especially, the snarky way they talk to practically everyone else. The text-based communications between the Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints and both the NR vessel and the Me, I'm Counting were particullarly amusing.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: