Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:41:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1298122 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4025 on: August 10, 2011, 09:33:45 AM

It wouldn't hurt to read it.  There's a novella in it that happens just after Changes and just before Ghost Story.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4026 on: August 10, 2011, 09:49:40 AM

Is reading Side Jobs generally recommended before picking up Ghost Story? Sorry, if this has already been addressed, but I'm trying to not read what you guys are currently writing as to avoid spoilers.

Nah. It doesn't really add anything you need to know. It's a good collection, although most of it was printed in other (group) compilations.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4027 on: August 10, 2011, 09:52:10 AM

Is reading Side Jobs generally recommended before picking up Ghost Story? Sorry, if this has already been addressed, but I'm trying to not read what you guys are currently writing as to avoid spoilers.

There is a story about what Murphy is doing in between that's relevant but not necessary and an introduction to what is evidently going to be the upcoming Big Bad antagonist group that also isn't really necessary.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4028 on: August 10, 2011, 10:30:13 AM

You can never really go wrong reading things in order of publication.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4029 on: August 10, 2011, 10:47:14 PM

Yeah the story from Side Jobs sets up Ghost Story and it's all from Murphy's POV.  I say its worth it, plus the other stories in there aren't too shabby as well.
WayAbvPar

Reply #4030 on: August 11, 2011, 09:20:23 AM

Just finished Ghost Story. I was really not sure how things were going to end- not sure how I feel about it. I enjoyed the hell out of the book, however.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4031 on: August 11, 2011, 11:47:52 AM

I have a problem with the Molly angle, despite the fact pairing her with Harry makes the most sense, because it invalidates her character development over the last few books.  Yeah, she has issues... but she's been dealing with them.  She went from fucked up runaway to (mostly) dealing with her life, and from victim to assistant to believable action girl.

Again, in a different book this may have worked.  Sticking it in the same book that Susan shows up and tries to stir up some action and the Murphy situation was pushed forward again wasn't a good idea. 

But Molly's crush has been a background theme for 4 or 5 books now, ignoring it when 'the other woman' shows up would have been disingenuous.  I don't think Molly and Dresden will ever hook up, your concerns here just seem invalid.

As for Susan, you keep talking like she's relevant for some future intrigue.  Did you not finish Changes yet?

Susan isn't relevant going forward, I was just spitballing hypotheticals that I feel would have worked better for Changes and I've been trying to dodge dropping too many spoilers.

It was a pet peeve, so I'm glad that other people don't have a problem with it.  I might sometimes be too critical.

Just to move to a new topic:

How awesome was the Leanansidhe in the last two books? 
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4032 on: August 11, 2011, 12:13:06 PM

Just to move to a new topic:

How awesome was the Leanansidhe in the last two books? 

Not as awesome as Mouse. Although, like I said -- haven't read Ghost Story yet.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #4033 on: August 18, 2011, 12:37:06 PM

Your Picks: Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books

Not one Black Company book, no Modesitt either which is a surprise to me considering some of the crap on that list.  A Song of Ice and Fire at #5  ACK! ah well lists were made to be broken.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4034 on: August 18, 2011, 12:40:55 PM

Codex Alera but no Dreden Files.  That's.. odd.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #4035 on: August 18, 2011, 12:41:23 PM

Your Picks: Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books

Not one Black Company book, no Modesitt either which is a surprise to me considering some of the crap on that list.  A Song of Ice and Fire at #5  ACK! ah well lists were made to be broken.

Only read 28 of them. Although most the ones I have read were multi-book series, so I still have wasted a lot of time with the genre.

e- actually more like 30 or 31...there are a few I think I read in school that I blacked out.

GodDAMN there are some shitty authors on there.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:11:20 PM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4036 on: August 18, 2011, 01:23:25 PM

I've read about 80% of those, by my count.  There's also a few that I own that I haven't gotten to yet.

Not surprised about the Black Company.  It's good, but not that good.  To me the Black Company's strength lies in the numbers, no single book really stands out, except maybe The White Rose.

If George RR can finish the Song of Ice and Fire series it will probably deserve to be that high.  I'm not sure he can pull it all together though. 
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #4037 on: August 18, 2011, 01:26:10 PM

Oh did not think to count them, 36 for me but I suppose the list did remind me of 5 or 6 books I have been wanting to read but never seem to get around to.  Speaking of which if Ender's Game is so awesome why does the 1st book in the series never seem to be available in the book store.  

I need to get on the kindle wagon, I seem to be hopelessly waiting for amazon or someone to get on board with a trade in your paperback and get the digital version for a buck program.  We are getting closer but $3-$10 to convert each book ($1 per 100 pages) seems a tad steep, not to mention a wasteful charade considering the digital version already exists somewhere.  I almost feel justified in going full pirate on books that I already own a print copy of.  

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4038 on: August 18, 2011, 01:26:39 PM

There's a lot of junk on that list that is probably just there because they were recent best-sellers.  Most of my picks that I felt strongly about are there though so I'm not too annoyed.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4039 on: August 18, 2011, 02:31:32 PM

Wait, I like Neal Stephenson as much as the next guy, but he gets 4 books on the list and Bruce Sterling gets none? Not even Islands in the Net? Ender's Game at #3? WTF? I'm reading Ender's Game right now, and I'm not that impressed yet almost halfway in. It sure as shit isn't better than Dune.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4040 on: August 18, 2011, 02:34:36 PM

I don't agree with the list, but...I've read 83 out of 100.
 Ohhhhh, I see.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4041 on: August 18, 2011, 02:34:38 PM

Not surprised about the Black Company.  It's good, but not that good.  To me the Black Company's strength lies in the numbers, no single book really stands out, except maybe The White Rose.

Even if you don't like Black Company, there's plenty of Cook that I think qualifies. 

-Rasix
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4042 on: August 18, 2011, 02:36:44 PM

When I saw none of Cook's stuff was on the list I thought that maybe it was just too "dark" to be that popular - but then I saw that The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant made it so there went that theory.
WayAbvPar

Reply #4043 on: August 18, 2011, 02:38:13 PM

Even if you don't like Black Company, there's plenty of Cook that I think qualifies. 

And if shit like RA Salvatore and Terry Goodkind are on there...how the hell is Cook not?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4044 on: August 18, 2011, 04:00:42 PM

And if shit like RA Salvatore and Terry Goodkind are on there...how the hell is Cook not?

This was based off of a readers' poll. Cook's stuff may be considerably better than anything published by TSR, but it is definitely not something that is super-well known. Though Malazan being on there while Cook isn't is stranger to me because the style is so similar.

Farenheit 451 and 1984 being in the top 10 on a readers' poll surprises me some too. Great as they are, they suffer from the "Books I read in High School and don't remember because I blacked that time out" phenomenon.

EDIT: I also love on the linked blog post they say that Young Adult books were kept off the list but The Belgariad is on there.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:02:56 PM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4045 on: August 18, 2011, 08:37:55 PM

I've read 26 of them, if you count books/series that I started and gave up on because I felt they were shit (about half of that 26).

No Hamilton is the big gap in that list for me. Very skewed reader base.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4046 on: August 18, 2011, 08:42:55 PM

I've read 26 of them, if you count books/series that I started and gave up on because I felt they were shit (about half of that 26). Not that surprising given the multiple books on the list from author that I don't enjoy.

No Hamilton is the big gap in that list for me.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4047 on: August 18, 2011, 08:47:22 PM

45ish for me, but I find it a little goofy the way it is broken down. A more useful list would probably be top 100 authors, and then just talk about which stuff they've written is good. Harder to compile/write up, though, I suppose.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4048 on: August 18, 2011, 11:06:26 PM

I've read 37 of them. Lots of books on that list aren't really Sci-Fi or Fantasy; King's stuff is horror (as is Matheson) and there were a couple romance novels on there as well. Orwell's a stretch too.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #4049 on: August 19, 2011, 12:51:35 AM

I'm not going to count how many of those I've read (likely more than half), but how the FUCK could he unironically put Terry Goodkind there? He's the only author whose books I've actually thrown out into the trash in disgust before finishing them. Not because of the stories themselves (that was okay), but because I got annoyed with how 2D the characters were, and the final straw was when the woman managed to go from completely super depressed to super happy within 2 pages.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4050 on: August 19, 2011, 02:17:52 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Because of the homicidal chicken. That shit only works in Far Side cartoons. The fifth of sixth book also has a possessed goat acting like the Eye of Sauron or something like that. There are some cool scenes and characters in the first few books, but the cringe factor is the equivalent of Rush Limbaugh doing stand-up.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #4051 on: August 19, 2011, 04:32:20 AM

Homicidal chicken?

"The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest"

This?

I've actually completely forgotten everything about his books except the final scene which made me go "oh god, fuck this book, this is getting too awful", and even then all I remember is she went from either full-on depression to full-on ecstatic, or vice versa.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4052 on: August 19, 2011, 07:21:21 AM

There's a lot of junk on that list that is probably just there because they were recent best-sellers.

Yeah, there's a lot of recent best sellers:
1.  Frankesntein
2.  1984
3.  Farenheit 451
4.  Brave New World
5.  Dune
6.  Foundation Trilogy
7.  Ender's Game
8.  Hitchhiker's Guide
9.  Lord of the Rings
10.  Wheel of Time
11.  Neuromancer
12.  Animal Farm
13.  I Robot
14.  Watchmen
15.  Stranger in a Strange Land
16.  Slaughterhouse 5
17.  Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?

That's just in the top 20, and it is clear that the list is heavily weighted towards recent best sellers.

As for Cook, I could see him being in the top 100, but then again not.  I'm listening to the Books of the South right now, and it's just nothing special.  I like the overall story, but he gets bogged down in writing about formations and strategy.  So I don't have a beef either way.  I like his books, but I don't try and mislead myself and think that they're better than A Canticle for Liebowitz or 1984.  

I'm reading Ender's Game right now, and I'm not that impressed yet almost halfway in. It sure as shit isn't better than Dune.

I agree with you (that it's not better than Dune), but wait until you finish it to formulate an opinion.  I was in the same boat you are when I first read it and changed my opinion after I was done.  I think it is a top 10 book, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:26:30 AM by ghost »
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4053 on: August 19, 2011, 08:12:49 AM

There's a difference between "popular" and "important" (and "acclaimed" for that matter) and lists like this always throw them all together.

Important books include some that, today, are trash -- like Brook's Shannara fantasy -- derivative, maybe one or two semi-decent books of the whole lot, and the first one was basically a thinly veiled LoTR ripoff. But before he wrote it, modern fantasy was just Conan and Lord of the Rings.

That said, I'd put Canticle for Leibowitz a lot higher on that list.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4054 on: August 19, 2011, 08:18:59 AM

I find the list to be one of the best of its kind.  You can always quibble about certain titles, but it doesn't disregard past important titles. 
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4055 on: August 19, 2011, 09:15:45 AM

There's a lot of junk on that list that is probably just there because they were recent best-sellers.

Yeah, there's a lot of recent best sellers:

<List of 17 old books presented that I suppose is somehow supposed to disprove what I said>

That's just in the top 20, and it is clear that the list is heavily weighted towards recent best sellers.

I didn't say "heavily weighted." I simply said "a lot."  It's how I explain crap like Terry Goodkind's appearing on the list at all.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4056 on: August 19, 2011, 10:59:20 AM

Stephen King and World War Z really don't belong in a sci-fi/fantasy list.

I am the .00000001428%
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4057 on: August 19, 2011, 11:33:46 AM

I don't see a good argument for excluding King, frankly.

As for how Goodkind ends up on the list, he's fucking popular for some unknown reason, and the list was generated by a poll.

There's a difference between "popular" and "important" (and "acclaimed" for that matter) and lists like this always throw them all together.

Important books include some that, today, are trash -- like Brook's Shannara fantasy -- derivative, maybe one or two semi-decent books of the whole lot, and the first one was basically a thinly veiled LoTR ripoff. But before he wrote it, modern fantasy was just Conan and Lord of the Rings.

That said, I'd put Canticle for Leibowitz a lot higher on that list.

Wow I missed this somehow. You are giving him way too much credit, and way too little to Moorcock, Leiber, LeGuin, Vance, McCaffery, Anderson, and DOZENS of other better writers who preceded Brooks to bookshelves.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:17:30 PM by Ingmar »

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4058 on: August 19, 2011, 12:11:55 PM

I blame the countless number of rape scenes.

"The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest"

This?

Oh, Lordy. It's so awful.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:14:17 PM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4059 on: August 19, 2011, 01:54:55 PM

Wait. Was that quote from an actual book? That was published?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: