Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:06:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1296410 times)
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: July 26, 2006, 08:52:33 PM

I just rediscovered the public library system.  It's changed a lot since I was a kid that's for sure.  Up to 30 books out at a time!

As a result, I've been able to read a whole pile of graphic novels that I've wanted to read but didn't want to buy - stuff like Preacher, AKIRA (vol 1-4), X-men eXtinction series, The Invisibles.

I've also been raiding the bargain bin at the local gaming store and picked up a copy of the 3rd edition Gamma World Gm's handbook and a couple of adventures.  I'm not planning on gaming again anytime soon but for $5 each they're still a pretty good read.

However, after this recent binge on sci-fi i'm looking for some different, light reading.  I don't want to see another 900 page novel for a while.  Maybe I'll re-read Catcher in the Rye.

schild
Administrator

Reply #141 on: July 26, 2006, 09:32:45 PM

You know, here's 2 light reading books about film. One is supa long, the other isn't. But they're both very light reading and really fucking enjoyable.

Agitator - The Cinema of Takashi Miike (427 pages)

You'll have to check out this one from the library:
The Emperor and the Wolf: The Lives and Films of Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune (848 pages)

I've recommended them before but I'll keep recommending them until someone reads them. I think Stray read Emperor and the Wolf. Not sure though. But they're both damned good.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #142 on: July 26, 2006, 09:42:05 PM

I'll pick the Mifune book.  Definately.  Not sure how I missed you recommending that the first time.

Edit: yikes, that's hard to find and expensive...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 10:25:34 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #143 on: July 27, 2006, 05:07:59 AM

You know where I live. Worst come to worse, you COULD borrow my copy. Libraries probably don't have it either despite what I said. I picked it up the day it came out though (still expensive back then - like $40 or something) and I don't think they've done a second printing. A long time ago a paperback was announced, but I guess that fell through.

Edit: Well damn, I might have to reneg on that and put it in the safety deposit box. Goddamn book from BN.com resellers is $141.50 - $243.50. Yeesh, had I known that would happen when it came out, I'd have picked up 5 copies. For $59 I suppose it's a steal. Or at least, that's what Ebay would have you believe. Whoever likes Mifune and Kurosawa AT ALL would be a fool not to be it at $59 actually. It would seem that book is SHOCKINGLY EXPENSIVE everywhere. But don't ignore my recommendation of Tom Mes' Agitator, it really is a great look at Takashi Miike.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 05:12:37 AM by schild »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #144 on: July 27, 2006, 06:40:41 AM

I just rediscovered the public library system.
Hi! Interloan kicks ass. We have 43 libraries in our system.

Anyway.

I think I've read the first four Cooks, they're up on deck after I finish the Rosenberg stuff (on Not Quite the Three Musketeers right now). The second Rosenberg series has started out ok, but it's much more normal fantasy fare (with orks, no less). I miss the aspect of having Earth people in the fantasy world, it kinda put a nice twist on what could have otherwise been a very bland fantasy world.

And for Stray, I found a bunch of woodcarving and hand tools books at Barnes and Noble last night ;)

edit: We don't have that book, Schild. Whoever those guys are ;) But it is amazing how lucrative the secondary market for books is. We're beginning to change our policy from recycling old books or selling them at a book sale for $1/ea to reselling them on Amazon. One three-volume set went for $300!  shocked
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 06:44:25 AM by Sky »
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #145 on: July 27, 2006, 09:30:42 AM

I picked up Silver Spike from my book store last night. They didnt have the 5th 6th or 7th book, so Ill have to amazon those.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #146 on: July 27, 2006, 10:43:11 AM

But it is amazing how lucrative the secondary market for books is. We're beginning to change our policy from recycling old books or selling them at a book sale for $1/ea to reselling them on Amazon. One three-volume set went for $300!  shocked

This is like a part time job for me. Not as much these days though, since the store that was giving me the most cash closed down (I wonder why....).
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: July 28, 2006, 01:06:00 PM

Maybe...Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls would hold more interest?

WayAbvPar

Reply #148 on: July 28, 2006, 01:51:22 PM

Your forgot Nude.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: July 28, 2006, 03:23:06 PM

Reminder:

August 8th for the new Brust book.  Vlad makes a return after....  5 years?
WayAbvPar

Reply #150 on: July 28, 2006, 03:49:42 PM

Woohoo!!!!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Telemediocrity
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: July 28, 2006, 09:32:03 PM

"Millenium" by Felipe Fernandez Armesto is as good as it gets.  "A history of the last thousand years."

My girlfriend recently got me the "Gangsta Rap Coloring Book" as a gift, and it's awesome.  Has even the people you wouldn't quite expect, like Brotha Lynch Hung and DJ Screw.  I nearly died laughing when the drawing of the Geto Boys was labelled "not drawn to scale".

"Access All Areas", a "User's Guide to Urban Exploration" written by the late Ninjalicious, is the ultimate in DIY spelunking guides.

"Charlie Wilson's War" is really effing long but not bad for a skim; read it now before Tom Hanks bastardizes it in the movie version.

"Lord Vishnu's Love Handles" is a freaky semi-spy novel that conjures up more than a little of that Chuck Palahnuik magic.  I recommend it.

A novelization of Snakes On A Plane was recently released.

The Discoverers by Daniel Boorstin is quite possibly the greatest non-fiction book I have ever read, and I'm going through it again for the third time.  A history of 'man's journey to know himself and the world around him'.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: July 31, 2006, 06:44:56 AM

Rosenberg's series is taking a nosedive imo. I'm on the second book of the second series (Not Quite Scaramouche).  He's still got Walter Slovotsky and a few Other Side characters, but he isn't really focusing on them as much, and the whole twist of his books was seeing a fantasy world through the eyes of someone from our world. Also, ten commas in one paragraph/sentence. This man needs a new editor.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: July 31, 2006, 08:45:41 AM

Yeah I read those books years ago and lost interest during the second series as well. I don't think I've read anything else of his since. Has he been grinding out novels set in that universe like whats-her-name with the Deryni series?
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: August 10, 2006, 07:19:07 PM

Reminder:

August 8th for the new Brust book.  Vlad makes a return after....  5 years?

Honestly,  not too impressed by Dzur.  Vlad returns to Adrilankha for the first time in quite a few books.  Lots of old friends have a walk through.  The writing is eerily like Zelazny,  but not much of a sense of fun.

It might be the fact the wait has been so long....   

Not much of substance happens.  (Some minor things,  but don't want to spoil even the minor stuff.  One very fun moment at the very beginning of the book [first 15 pages])

Been reading some Hunter S. Thompson.  Finished off Hell's Angels,  and almost done Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.  Fear and Loathing is fun....  Hell's was decent.  Nice to see where all the forum flavor text came from.  Any other Thompson stuff worth the effort to find?  I picked up those two on some Borders discount shelf.

Been on a reread tear of the Black Company books....
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: August 11, 2006, 03:00:04 AM

I am convinced that Under The Volcano, by Malcolm Lowry is the greatest book I have read in my life.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: August 11, 2006, 06:50:40 AM

Reading Hunter T reminds me of the summer and autumn of 1989.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #157 on: August 11, 2006, 08:10:42 AM

Been reading some Hunter S. Thompson.  Finished off Hell's Angels,  and almost done Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.  Fear and Loathing is fun....  Hell's was decent.  Nice to see where all the forum flavor text came from.  Any other Thompson stuff worth the effort to find?  I picked up those two on some Borders discount shelf.

Pretty much all of it. The Curse of Lono is fantastic, what with the writing and the Ralph Steadman artwork all over it. It was the first Thompson I'd ever read. The Great Shark Hunt is a good compliation of stuff.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #158 on: August 11, 2006, 09:28:22 AM

As an aside, I picked up Hyperion earlier this week, and I'm really liking it so far. What's the correct sequencing of the books?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: August 11, 2006, 09:48:06 AM

As an aside, I picked up Hyperion earlier this week, and I'm really liking it so far. What's the correct sequencing of the books?

Hyperion, then Fall of Hyperion.

Endymion and Rise of Endymion follow,  though not really as good.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: August 11, 2006, 11:17:19 AM

Heading off to Maine next week and I forgot to reserve books for the trip! I put holds on the rest of Glen Cook's stuff (Silver Spike onward) and the last Rosenberg. Lo, today I come into work (last day before vacation) and Silver Spike, Shadow Games, and Dreams of Steel are all sitting in my box. Woohoo!

Strazos

Reply #161 on: August 14, 2006, 10:28:44 AM

Heh, just finished Hyperion in 2 days.

Awesome. Excellent use of the Chaucer-esque use of Frame Story. Loved the vivid differentiation of the different characters and their stories. Reading each story felt distinctly different. I guess I'll have to pick up Fall of Hyperion when I can.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: August 14, 2006, 11:10:47 AM

am I the only one here who reads books that aren't intended to broaden my  mind or give me cred in the literary scene?

The only things I'm reading currently are Kim Harrison's Hollows books (alternate universe where vampires and werewolves and witches, etc coexist with modern day humanity. The main character is a witch who is also a PI and her vampire roomate who wants to share blood and be her lesbian lover as well as a pixie who lives in her garden and a werewolf who needed her to register in his pack so he could get promoted in his insurance job. Trying to describe it doesn't do it justice)

I'm going through sort of a noir/fantasy kick lately. I'm at work and can't think of any other examples but I'll let you know if I do.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Strazos

Reply #163 on: August 14, 2006, 11:11:46 AM

That actually sounds pretty funny.

Fear the Backstab!
Telemediocrity
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: August 14, 2006, 11:20:38 AM

I re-read Flatworld the other day.  Hell of a book.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: August 14, 2006, 04:27:52 PM

Heh, just finished Hyperion in 2 days.

Awesome. Excellent use of the Chaucer-esque use of Frame Story. Loved the vivid differentiation of the different characters and their stories. Reading each story felt distinctly different. I guess I'll have to pick up Fall of Hyperion when I can.

The next book is pretty good.  Good windup to the story.

I'll warn you that the Endymion books are not nearly to the same level,  but pretty good.

If you've just read The Illiad,  Simmons' Illium is pretty good.  I haven't motivated enough to read the next book, though...  Olympos.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: August 14, 2006, 04:32:53 PM

am I the only one here who reads books that aren't intended to broaden my  mind or give me cred in the literary scene?

The only things I'm reading currently are Kim Harrison's Hollows books (alternate universe where vampires and werewolves and witches, etc coexist with modern day humanity. The main character is a witch who is also a PI and her vampire roomate who wants to share blood and be her lesbian lover as well as a pixie who lives in her garden and a werewolf who needed her to register in his pack so he could get promoted in his insurance job. Trying to describe it doesn't do it justice)

I'm going through sort of a noir/fantasy kick lately. I'm at work and can't think of any other examples but I'll let you know if I do.

I've read a few of Harrison's books.  Kind of entertaining,  but fairly "meh".  A very Mary Sue lead character with alot of author wish fulfillment built in...     

If you're reading noir-fantasy,  pick up Butcher's "Dresden" books.  The first few are collected in omnibus now,  so the price should be pretty good.  Overall,  great entertainment reading with Scifi Channel making a series out of it this winter.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: August 16, 2006, 06:08:49 AM

I've read a few of Harrison's books.  Kind of entertaining,  but fairly "meh".  A very Mary Sue lead character with alot of author wish fulfillment built in...     

If you're reading noir-fantasy,  pick up Butcher's "Dresden" books.  The first few are collected in omnibus now,  so the price should be pretty good.  Overall,  great entertainment reading with Scifi Channel making a series out of it this winter.

As flawed as Rachel is I don't think she qualifies as a Mary Sue. I mean the girl has fairly large problems and usually gets herself into alot of trouble through doing something stupid. Besides, a Mary Sue-ish character can be fun in original fiction if well written, see Honor Harrington for a good example.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: August 22, 2006, 03:00:18 PM

Just finished reading 'The Book of Jhereg" which has the first 3 Vlad books in it (Jhereg, Yendi and Teckla). Half-way through Jhereg I order the next four. Damn good stuff, thanks guys.

Also, just ordered World War Z:An Oral History of the Zombie War which is written by the guy who wrote the Zombie Survival Guide. Not released yet, but with Dead Rising out, I'm on a zombie kick again (just reread the first 4 TPB Walking Dead too) and it sounds pretty damn interesting. More of a serious look at the whole Zombie holocaust thing.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
WayAbvPar

Reply #169 on: August 22, 2006, 03:49:25 PM

I envy you- reading the Taltos books for the first time is pure joy.

I am nearly done with the first 5 books of the Amber Chronicles. I am amazed at how much I had forgotten...still very good books.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #170 on: August 22, 2006, 04:15:07 PM

Who what?
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: August 22, 2006, 08:50:06 PM

Who what?

Steven Brust's "Vlad Taltos" books.  Good, good stuff.

Erikson's House of Chains,  book 4 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen is out now in trade paperback in the US.  Not as good as Deadhouse Gates or Memories of Ice,  but pretty damn good.  Mostly ties up the Raraku plot threads,  and quite a few characters get their just/unjust desserts.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: August 22, 2006, 10:53:47 PM

Just finished "The Algebraist" by Iain M Banks.  Not as good as some of his other works but still a pretty good read.

Also read "Y: The last man" graphic novel, didn't care for the premise or the characters and can't stand "Ghost in the Shell" graphic novel.  The good news: libraries are free.

Telemediocrity
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: August 22, 2006, 11:12:20 PM

Anyone ever read The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down?  It was a fascinating intro to Hmong culture and their migration to America, which I previously knew almost nothing about.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: August 23, 2006, 02:07:19 AM

Just read Carter Beats the Devil which was quite a fun read. Very loosely based on an actual 1920's illusionist, it's in no way high literature but it's got some cool stage magic stuff.

Also started reading the Flashman novels, a nice series if you like non-serious historical stuff. Flashman is your quintessential English cad running around the world sleeping with random women, he's also a remarkable coward who keeps winding up in situations where he comes out a great hero. It's a half decent dig at the whole Boy's Own style hero with lots of interesting British Imperial history thrown in.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: