Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:23:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Blade - the Series 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blade - the Series  (Read 3537 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

on: June 29, 2006, 08:58:51 PM

I guess I was feeling a little masochistic last night, so I decided to give this a shot. Wasn't terrible I guess. I liked most of the casting, though I'm not buying in to Blade yet. Wesley Snipes this guy is not.

My pvr died recently, so I was watching this real time with no FF. Found I was really wishing I had it for the fight scenes. The show managed to save my interest with one tiny little line thrown in. Middle of a inconsequential conversation between the lead girl and this Randy Quaid looking old Vampire expert - after he starts talking about Vampires, she asks him if werewolves exist too. He drops a line along the lines of - "That's my colleague Marc Spector's area of expertise."

It amazes me how one dumb little line that speaks directly to my inner Geek can get me excited about something. Oh well.

Anyone in this subboard who doesn't know who Marc Spector is by the way, is either not a comic fan, or is under 30.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 10:19:33 PM

Ha ha I missed that, that's a pretty good inside joke.

I thought it was OK overall. The character of the main woman Christa was written sort of lamely, but the acting was decent overall and they seemed to set up a lot of plot points that could build to an interesting season.

I like Sticky Fingaz, I hope he can be less low-key in future episodes. Snipes played Blade as a cold, aloof guy, but Sticky would be better with more emotion. He as good as Kern Little on The Shield and as whoever he was in Over There. He's not so good as a cool as ice guy though, he would be better playing it as a bit of a hot-head.

Overall it was good enough to watch again, I'm a sucker for this sort of genre fiction.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 01:49:25 PM

Yeah either he doesn't "get" the character or the director sucks.  He has been better in everything else I've ever seen him in (Oz/Shield/Over There - he was "smoke" btw).

The fight scenes were a letdown, the garlic gun thing was lame2k and he doesn't seem to know how to use his sword for shit.  Also what happened to the cool dna hand slicing device his sword has in the movies?

The new whistler doesn't do much for me, but the babe isn't enough of a babe either (she had sort of manly Italian soccer player features or something).  Overall the plot looked like it could stay interesting and wasn't going to be a monster-of-the-week fest but they are going to have to get more from Sticky Fingaz and have Blade re-learn how to use his sword in a hurry.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 02:19:45 PM

I think the problem with Blade himself was the direction, they were trying to make him very cool and calm like Wesley Snipes and it just didn't work too well. Sticky would be better off playing him as a bit nuttier, more dynamic, etc.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 02:33:06 PM

Anyone in this subboard who doesn't know who Marc Spector is by the way, is either not a comic fan, or is under 30.

I'm 24 and I know who he is.  Used to be my favorite character back in The Day.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 07:54:04 PM

This weeks episode has been really good. Thumbs up.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Blade - the Series  
Jump to: