Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:54:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "Gamers don't want any more grief" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Gamers don't want any more grief"  (Read 28906 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #35 on: June 17, 2006, 05:04:58 PM

A lot of people never played UO.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 17, 2006, 05:07:56 PM

Eve could very well be this generation's UO. Listening to newbie MMOGers talk about Eve is very similar to conversations about UO from way back.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #37 on: June 17, 2006, 07:07:38 PM

Unlike UO though CCP have proven time and again they just dont give a fuck what carebears want.  Somehow though instead of their game dying it has slowly built itself to immpressive levels via what appears to just be postive word of mouth...

What a crazy time to be alive... 

*how is proven not a word?  Why does the spell check hate me?*

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 18, 2006, 06:27:16 AM

Unlike UO though CCP have proven time and again they just dont give a fuck what carebears want.

As was proven countless times you can't appeal to both crowds in the same game, UO tried and failed. M59 didn't try it and is still around.

Current generation of gamers really disgust me – they expect instant gratification, minimum challenge and minimum thinking required in their entertainment, just like TV. Why did they moved away from being couch potato in front of a TV to being chair potato in front of mmog is beyond me. 

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 18, 2006, 11:00:26 AM

Eve benefits from not needing a jillion players though, such is CCPs financial model (as evidenced by them still being around). UO getting sucked up by EA means it getting scrutiny from a different level altogether (similar to SWG and LA as well). If it was just OSI running things, I don't imagine the game would have slapped with so many changes to try and make it a mass hit.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #40 on: June 19, 2006, 01:09:23 PM

You knew what was up when you bought the game, so take your azzrap0r with a smile or find something else to play.  /shrug

This is the one big difference for me between EVE and UO.  I was one of the people driven out of UO upon finding out that most of humanity was one big unsleeping evil in the absence of repercussions.  Move ahead eight years and I am enjoying dabbling in a game like EVE.  Sometimes I can't or won't deal with it, but when I want to play a dangerous and exciting MOG, you just can't beat EVE.  It's not just combat; you can take risks and lose your shirt in the market or be a ripped-off dumbass with the "black market" escrow system.  I see it for what it is, though, and when my ship is assploded I know for a fact it was because I was being a dumbass.  Getting killed in WoW was far more stupid-feeling, since there were times I pretty much HAD to go though Booty Bay or Tarren Mill to play the game as intended.  God damn Tarren Mill.  At least in EVE, I won't be ganked by someone twenty levels my senior before my UI finishes loading.

Also: I have no problem taking an extended break from EVE to play Princess Peach.  This is a new one to me in the MOG space.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #41 on: June 19, 2006, 01:34:58 PM

That is part of the genius of EVE. When you get down or bored, you can take a week or two off (logging in just to keep skills training). When you come back, your character is slightly more useful than before, and you have a refreshed outlook. At least until the next gankage  :-D

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 20, 2006, 11:08:32 PM

At least in EVE, I won't be ganked by someone twenty levels my senior before my UI finishes loading.
Wow, I mean just WOW! You never died from lag in EVE?
Like where jump into battle and when your UI finally loads you're not only uncloaked, but being shot at by 50 guys? Or my favourite - you click undock, loading bar finishes and...you wake up in another station 20 jumps away?:) Or most typical case - you're in one of those 100vs100 battles, suddenly you see one guy starting to target your BS and since you're smart you instantly press warp out button, but the damn thing won't even react, untill 30 seconds later when you're properly scrambled and fired at by several dozen guys?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 21, 2006, 07:26:14 AM

I've rarely had problems with lag in Eve.. but it does happen, and it will happen in any game online regarless of the play style. I don't think stuff like that counts unless it's a regular occurance (ie: SB).

- Viin
Kamen
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 30, 2006, 09:34:02 AM

Unlike UO though CCP have proven time and again they just dont give a fuck what carebears want.

Oh really?  You obviously missed the assjillion PvP nerfs and the tons of new carebear oriented content added over the last few years in order to make the game also appeal to carebears.

As was proven countless times you can't appeal to both crowds in the same game, UO tried and failed. M59 didn't try it and is still around.

I'd say CCP has done a damn good job of making Eve appeal to both crowds.  CCP does indeed care what carebears want, and has grown Eve to over 130k paid accounts primarily by making the game appeal to more than just 16 year old wannabe griefers.  The Eve playerbase really does consist of a lot more than just hardcore PvP players.  For example, I have a very successful industrialist character that has engaged in PvP exactly once since his creation a year ago.  I also have characters that can engage in PvP whenever I like.  The game has enough content, and is structured in such a way, that I can enjoy both types of play by assuming the level of risk that I am comfortable with.

There are also quite a few semi-carebear players that really enjoy having more than just some retarded NPC risk to make their goals taste better when accomplished.  They don't mind manageable PvP risk, even though that's not what they are actively looking for in the game.

Current generation of gamers really disgust me – they expect instant gratification, minimum challenge and minimum thinking required in their entertainment, just like TV. Why did they moved away from being couch potato in front of a TV to being chair potato in front of mmog is beyond me.

The instant gratification crowd doesn't stay with Eve very long.  We have our share of leet speaking mouth breathers who sign up and expect to run around ganking everything in sight within days, but they don't last long.  Generally speaking I find the Eve playerbase a bit more tolerable than what I find in most other online games.  Dumbasses and lazy people get weeded out fairly quickly.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 11:30:08 AM by Kamen »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #45 on: June 30, 2006, 10:12:00 AM

Your post got all goofy, Kamen.  Other than that, I have nothing to contribute.  EVE was easily one of the most boring games I ever tried.  But then, I'm a girl, what do I know?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
WayAbvPar

Reply #46 on: June 30, 2006, 11:49:07 AM

Poor Signe. Eve has a shocking lack of hats for her.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 30, 2006, 12:54:30 PM

Eve seems to be the antithesis of a female-friendly game in almost every way imaginable.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 30, 2006, 02:47:33 PM

As one of the very very few, the proud, and the hopelessly hit upon or ignored, Eve's subscription base is 4% women. There's a women gamers of eve channel, we voice verify to keep out the trolls and it's still pretty small despite a woman on the dev team filtering the sub list and mass emailing every woman subscriber about its existance. Of the dozen or so regulars, I think all but three of us got into Eve because of boyfriends, and of that three, two of us are dykes.

No. Not really woman friendly.

But we are there. Oceana, who was pretty high up in NBSI before it dissolved is a woman. There are others.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 30, 2006, 02:53:55 PM

I'd play it, but I don't want to be a spaceship.  I want a toon with bewbies that I can play dressup with.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #50 on: June 30, 2006, 02:55:41 PM

I'd play it, but I don't want to be a spaceship.  I want a toon with bewbies that I can play dressup with.

I look in the mirror all the time and think just that...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 02, 2006, 01:45:40 PM

I look in the mirror all the time and think just that...

Well then, get some! What's stopping you!??
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 02, 2006, 03:56:36 PM

Your post got all goofy, Kamen.  Other than that, I have nothing to contribute.  EVE was easily one of the most boring games I ever tried.  But then, I'm a girl, what do I know?

I am with Signe on this one.  The only types of games that interst me less than Eve are FPS. 

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
schild
Administrator

Reply #53 on: July 02, 2006, 06:32:01 PM

Mi Tes is alive! Hi Mi Tes!
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #54 on: July 02, 2006, 06:34:55 PM

Sup Mi Ties (I just wanted an excuse to use my new avatard!)

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #55 on: July 02, 2006, 06:37:33 PM

Your avatar is 847k.

K

Yow.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #56 on: July 02, 2006, 06:42:48 PM

Your avatar is 847k.

K

Yow.

When you live life a quarter mile at a time these numbers mean nothing.  NOTHING.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #57 on: July 02, 2006, 06:43:02 PM

Righ's got Picard dancing, Ched's got the Firefly dude. I need that Twiki scene from the first episode of Buck Rogers.
WayAbvPar

Reply #58 on: July 03, 2006, 11:05:01 AM

I am with Signe on this one.  The only types of games that interst me less than Eve are FPS. 

Doh! That is about all I am playing atm (at least on the PC). I have fallen in love with causing virtual death on the Internets I guess. Although in Eve I usually the recipient of said virtual death.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #59 on: July 04, 2006, 09:09:01 AM

Righ's got Picard dancing, Ched's got the Firefly dude. I need that Twiki scene from the first episode of Buck Rogers.

Signe's wins.  (cf. Chapelle's Show)
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: July 04, 2006, 04:15:08 PM

BTW, why do you guys constantly mix consensual pvp (0.0 space) with ordinary scams (escrow/trade/etc)?

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 04, 2006, 04:37:20 PM

BTW, why do you guys constantly mix consensual pvp (0.0 space) with ordinary scams (escrow/trade/etc)?

Because pimpin' ain't easy, shorty.
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 04, 2006, 07:32:37 PM

Sup Mi Ties (I just wanted an excuse to use my new avatard!)

Nice avatar!

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #63 on: July 04, 2006, 08:45:08 PM

Your avatar is 847k.

K

Yow.
There's something seriously screwed up with that GIF. It's only 13 frames long -- there's no way it should be that large in size.

When you live life a quarter mile at a time these numbers mean nothing.  NOTHING.
There's something seriously screwed up with that GIF. It's only 13 frames long, it should not be that large.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 08:46:57 PM by Trippy »
sarius
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 05, 2006, 07:54:10 AM

That is part of the genius of EVE. When you get down or bored, you can take a week or two off (logging in just to keep skills training). When you come back, your character is slightly more useful than before, and you have a refreshed outlook. At least until the next gankage  :-D

25 days until the next skill completes! WTF!?!

It's always our desire to control that leads to injustice and inequity. -- Mary Gordon
“Call it amnesty, call it a banana if you want to, but it’s earned citizenship.” -- John McCain (still learning English apparently)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 05, 2006, 08:18:39 AM

Maybe I should get EVE and just run it like I run ProgressQuest (Xanthippe the Panda Man Tickle-Mime is level 46 now).

I could be uber without even playing, right?

If only I didn't have to be a spaceship.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #66 on: July 06, 2006, 09:49:09 AM

Keep reminding yourself that you are really a person.  A person sealed inside a fluid-filled pod whose only interface with the outside world comes through sensor arrays and neural jacks.  You can still have boobies, and you can even be naked inside your pod.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "Gamers don't want any more grief"  
Jump to: