Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Basic Careers Information 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer Online Basic Careers Information  (Read 18086 times)
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #35 on: June 16, 2004, 10:41:11 AM

Quote from: daveNYC
And now I have that fucking song stuck in my head. Thank you.

Which?  I think they change the song every season.   Then there's the remastered versions for the movie, and the GBA song...

Yes, I'm a bad man for tormenting you so.
Quote from: Schild
Heh, if you know the song, you know more about Pokemon than me. I have no clue what you're talking about. But seriously, it'd be the equivilent of a treasure hunting game, everyone would control cute to evil looking animals, you could pick light and dark sides, have group battles, make your own guilds where you could interbreed your pokemon. I think it could all be really really neat. Except that last part, that may be sick.

Pokemon in general is being heralded by somewhat evil by various groups of adults who rightfully point out that this whole "collecting" emphesis is a money sucking kid hypnotising plot.

However, damned if I don't enjoy the gameboy game.   All that running around collecting, leveling things up til' they evolve, and exploring bigger expances of the world seems indeed very MMORPG-focused.

There actually is such a thing as Light and Dark pokemon as of Pokemon Colloseum.   The Dark Pokemon are apparently corrupted, and it's the goal of the hero to uncorrupt them by using them in battles and, once sufficiently advanced, turning them back to normal - this gets rid of their berzerking abilities but restores all their normal moves.    I could see this being worked in such a way that you could choose to do it the other way around, with your Pokemon becoming more and more corrupted to the point where they're berzerking rampant beasts.    Feral Pikachu anyone?  However, Nintendo and Creatures may not like their creation's resulting reputation much.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: June 16, 2004, 10:47:37 AM

Ya know, parents said Magic Cards were evil as well. But I can sell my Mirror Universe and Moxes for more money than they can sell most of their shit. More than that, I probably learned more strategic planning from making decks and playing in tourneys than I did much else in life.

This should be known, when it comes to what kids actually think about stuff, parents are considerably more stupid than normal.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37 on: June 16, 2004, 11:50:45 AM

Quote from: schild
Quote from: Sky
Kaffee Klatch

Coffee Klotsch. Yes, today is going that slow.

http://www.quilt.com/KaffeeKlatsch/KaffeeKlatsch.html

Newbler :)
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 16, 2004, 12:30:25 PM

[The day Nintendo makes seense] is the same day I can properly digest curdled milk and shit flavored oatmeal.

Does this mean that you will gain the skill to shit out flavored oatmeal or gain the ability to digest oatmeal that is flavored like shit.

I would think the latter would be easier to digest than other flavors, as it would logically be partially transmuted to shit already.  If it is the former, then that would be pretty cool.  You should send in some feedback to nintendo hoping they do that.  You could literally can that shit and sell it.  It would also make for better catassing if you could just eat your own shit to survive.  Then you would just have to start pissing mountain dew or something.  I think that will happen when EQlive has innovative combat, right?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39 on: June 16, 2004, 01:23:42 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
Pokemon in general is being heralded by somewhat evil by various groups of adults who rightfully point out that this whole "collecting" emphesis is a money sucking kid hypnotising plot.

Wow, what startling insight from said groups of adults. Next thing, they'll realize that breakfast cereals really don't need mascots, those are just used as tools to hook kids into pestering their parents until the parents buy them the cereal.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 16, 2004, 01:55:02 PM

I would think the latter would be easier to digest than other flavors, as it would logically be partially transmuted to shit already.

Actually, it's only shit-flavored, we can't be certain it's /naturally/ shit flavored using shit. And even if they used natural shit, it would probably be dried, making it less easy to digest than fresh shit might be, or it could have preservatives so it doesn't grow hair and harden, and thus be harder to digest as well.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 16, 2004, 01:58:12 PM

I would think the latter would be easier to digest than other flavors, as it would logically be partially transmuted to shit already.

Actually, it's only shit-flavored, we can't be certain it's /naturally/ shit flavored using shit. And even if they used natural shit, it would probably be dried, making it less easy to digest than fresh shit might be, or it could have preservatives so it doesn't grow hair and harden, and thus be harder to digest as well.

I don't think shit grows hair.  I just think ambient hair likes to stick to it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #42 on: June 17, 2004, 06:13:09 AM

Quote from: Arthur_Parker

Plus added their own ideas such as Chaos which is pretty unique by itself and infects the very bones of the empire meaning the corruption runs deep and everyone is doomed (tm).  The 4 chaos gods themselves Nurgle (death decay), Slaanesh (The god of Sexual depavity), Tzeentch (randomness and Magic) and Khorne (the Blood God) provide plenty of scope for original material.

The Chaos concept is not original to Warhammer. It is part of the Glorantha mythos that Greg Stafford created in the late 1960s and popularized in the RuneQuest RPG first released in 1978 (and still my favorite RPG). There was even an appendix in the Chaosium editions that allowed you to roll for special Chaos "traits" like an extra appendage if you happened to be tainted by Chaos which is very similar to what you can do with Chaos tainted armies in Warhammer. Warhammer wasn't released until like 1983 and White Dwarf used to just cover RPGs like RuneQuest before it became a strictly in house magazine and so the Games Workshop guys had to have been familiar with the Glorantha mythos.

If warhammer is not unique then someone should tell blizzard who have ripped off countless ideas over the years like the empire steam engines, dwarf gyrocopters etc from GW.

And Starcraft is a ripoff of Warhammer 40K (which is itself a ripoff of other games/books/movies/etc. just like Warhammer).
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #43 on: June 17, 2004, 06:43:30 AM

Interesting I wasn't aware of that but it doesn't really surprise me.

I guess my point would be GW > Blizzard because GW steal from more sources, but upon reflection I agree that's not something I should really be in favour of.

As the thread has already gone well off topic I would also like to add the people on the warhammer online forums scare me.  Rarely have I encountered such tight moderation and so little actual discussion about the game in question.

Some users have over 1800 posts and the game is not even in beta yet, threads such as this one make me actually wish for some normal forum bitching and moaning.  For those that can't be bothered registering, it's a 10 page thread with the rules of the thread being "Mind Games is a game of single word response is given to the previous post."

That would be bad enough but the crazy gang has apparently had 209 previous threads on the very same subject.  Just how bored do you have to be?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 17, 2004, 07:29:01 AM

Bored enough to talk about leafblower air displacement and feces decomposition?
I don't think shit grows hair.  I just think ambient hair likes to stick to it

I was referring to the mold or fungus or whatever it is that grows over a pile of crap, which often resembles hair. So technically, no, it doesn't grow it by itself, it needs some little helpers.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #45 on: June 17, 2004, 07:35:33 AM

Bored enough to talk about leafblower air displacement and feces decomposition?

Good point.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 17, 2004, 08:56:34 AM

Still not bored enough to seek the challenging boredom of Lineage II, though.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #47 on: June 17, 2004, 09:27:39 AM

Fighting dirty?
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 17, 2004, 09:49:01 AM

Still not bored enough to seek the challenging boredom of Lineage II, though.

Sky 1, A_P 0

This could get interesting...

/me gets a bucket of popcorn and puts his feet up to watch the ensuing action.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: June 17, 2004, 09:52:23 AM

Oooh ooh, can the spectators roleplay like on shitty forums?

*Gets his elf boobie hat and elf shoes*
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 17, 2004, 09:56:00 AM

*Gets his elf boobie hat ...

Is that like a boobie hat but erm, pointy?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: June 17, 2004, 09:56:26 AM

Quote from: Murgos
*Gets his elf boobie hat ...

Is that like a boobie hat but erm, pointy?

elfy.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 17, 2004, 12:02:19 PM

Oooh ooh, can the spectators roleplay like on shitty forums?

*Gets his elf boobie hat and elf shoes*

Only if I can have a 500x200 sig picture with copious amounts of lens flares and diablo fonts.

Sorry for the aggressive posting today, it's been the worst day of the year at work. I'm positive about tomorrow, though, because it could top today! Ever have a day when everyone forgets how to do the most basic computer functions and needs you to show them for the zillionth time. And I mean everyone, staff and public, this is nuts.

/vent
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 17, 2004, 12:06:40 PM

Fighting dirty?

Activating my sig line would be fighting dirty. It's been the same quote since you uttered it, I'm just not mean enough to leave it on all the time.
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: June 17, 2004, 12:14:46 PM

I like my sig line, no one has even pointed out how geeky it is. Or where it's from (not the one about advertising).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 17, 2004, 01:31:00 PM

I've noticed it, but I can't quite place it. I heard it recently, though.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #56 on: June 17, 2004, 03:12:34 PM

Fighting dirty?

Activating my sig line would be fighting dirty. It's been the same quote since you uttered it, I'm just not mean enough to leave it on all the time.

Naw, I'm more happy with that quote now than I was shortly after I made it.  If anyone could be bothered to refer back to my original L2 comments I predicted the things of concern to me were the same as ac1, macros and exploits.  I only said I was trying it and hoping the end game would be good, I admited recently I was wrong for sticking with it and should have listened to Haemish (Due mainly to the 2nd rampant dupe bug, massive influx of combat macros, etc etc I could go on, but don't really care to, L2 is currently too broken to even rant about).  Being wrong is not something I'm that worried about as I have had plenty of practice at it.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 17, 2004, 07:20:37 PM

essive posting today, it's been the worst day of the year at work. I'm positive about tomorrow, though, because it could top today! Ever have a day when everyone forgets how to do the most basic computer functions and needs you to show them for the zillionth time. And I mean everyone, staff and public, this is nuts.

/vent

Oh, I've definitely had those. Last Friday was like that for me. I feel for ya. Hopefully your week will wind down in relative normalcy.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #58 on: June 18, 2004, 08:15:48 AM

I call those kinds of days "being nibbled to death by ducks."

schild
Administrator

Reply #59 on: June 18, 2004, 08:29:37 AM

Naw, I'm more happy with that quote now than I was shortly after I made it.  If anyone could be bothered to refer back to my original L2 comments I predicted the things of concern to me were the same as ac1, macros and exploits.  I only said I was trying it and hoping the end game would be good, I admited recently I was wrong for sticking with it and should have listened to Haemish (Due mainly to the 2nd rampant dupe bug, massive influx of combat macros, etc etc I could go on, but don't really care to, L2 is currently too broken to even rant about).  Being wrong is not something I'm that worried about as I have had plenty of practice at it.

I don't remember Haemish saying anything about the exploits and shit ruining the game so much as the core gameplay was broken, the playerbase was a buncha mouthbreathing inbred fools, and the game on a whole being just totally ass.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 18, 2004, 08:35:45 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
You forgot c) Developer has an ego that tells him whatever he could cook up on his own would be better than anything else commercially available.

All developers (myself included at times) can fall prey to Not Invented Here = not as good as my stuff syndrome. How can you avoid this? Management via non incompetant twits. Of course the problem is knowing the difference between NIH and honest to god expertise.

What it comes down to is what is cheaper in terms of time and cost, extending a currently existing rendering engine or rolling your own. Let me know when you all figure out how to answer this question with any degree of reasonability.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 18, 2004, 08:39:31 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
The one thing to remember about the Warhammer world (at least from the miniatures game), mages weren't pussies in combat.  

HA! Tell that to my Skink priests.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 18, 2004, 08:41:13 AM

Quote from: Daeven
What it comes down to is what is cheaper in terms of time and cost, extending a currently existing rendering engine or rolling your own. Let me know when you all figure out how to answer this question with any degree of reasonability.

You could probably turn that answer into a couple of different Computer Science Ph.D's and a nice cushy contract at a major studio.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 18, 2004, 10:37:43 AM

Quote from: Murgos
Quote from: Daeven

You could probably turn that answer into a couple of different Computer Science Ph.D's and a nice cushy contract at a major studio.

I don't think it would take that much work to get an estimate on development costs for a new engine (and then doubling it), and comparing it to the costs of one of the off the shelf engines (with no modifications).

I say no modifications, because the second you say "If we can just get it to do X.", you've opened a Pandora's fucking walk in closet of wish list changes.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 18, 2004, 11:16:17 AM

Quote from: daveNYC
I say no modifications, because the second you say "If we can just get it to do X.", you've opened a Pandora's fucking walk in closet of wish list changes.

Yea, sorry my hypothisis (posted above) was that you would only roll your own to save money (duplicating the already existing feature set) or add new cutsom features.  Daevans addition was to predicting cost effectiveness of extending a feature set or rolling your own custom job with a reasonable accuracy.

That prediction would be nigh on to the realm of the orracular young padawan.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #65 on: June 18, 2004, 11:18:43 AM

I don't remember Haemish saying anything about the exploits and shit ruining the game so much as the core gameplay was broken, the playerbase was a buncha mouthbreathing inbred fools, and the game on a whole being just totally ass.

I think you could shorten his review, to Lineage 2 is shit.  Hence I should have listened to him, the grind, everyone looking the same and the majority of the playerbase being arseholes was not of great concern to me.  I predicted what might be of concern to me and maybe not surprising was right.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #66 on: June 18, 2004, 12:14:18 PM

You almost got it. I think my review is most succintly summarized as:

L2 shit kekela funney.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Basic Careers Information  
Jump to: