Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:26:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: PVP nerfs and balancing incoming? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PVP nerfs and balancing incoming?  (Read 6992 times)
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

on: May 15, 2006, 11:10:23 PM

I wonder how much truth there is to this?

The problem, of course, is that most of those changes are currently in the theoretical brainstorming stage. While the team has started working on PvP, Jones admits that it's going to take some serious bending and tweaking of the rules to get any sort of effective PvP system in place; the original pencil-and-paper games, of course, were heavily biased toward the PvE style, and there many high-level player talents that, properly used, could kill another player in one shot. Twilight Forge is currently scheduled for release in July.
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dungeons-dragons-online/708701p1.html

The DDO forums are gonna go ape shit. Never mind its already made it into the forums there.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 11:13:23 PM by Broughden »

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Xilren's Twin

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 07:51:18 AM

The concept of pvp in this D&D system with it's stealth, backstabing, knockdowns, stuns/holds/slows/sleeps/charms, meta feats, auto-hit spells, poistioning bonuses and other assorted goodies is just bound to be a clusterfuck if all they have is straight up fighting no matter how they nerf stuff.  It's a no win; either they have skills/spells act differently in pvp vs pve which has never fit well together, or they retro-fit game systems to fit pvp, thereby having to redo all the pve parts.  Neither works well.

Best I can hope for is they dont change game sytsems and go the route of competitive shared mission objectives instead. I'm not holding my breath however.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 05:48:09 PM

Well they used the old AC2 engine which is half the problem right there.

As for the "tweaks" for PVP. My opinion is they have pretty much given up on trying to be an actual D&D based game and are simply going after anyone they can who maybe bored with WOW after a year of playing.

Im just looking forward to NWN2 to get my actual D&D fix.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: PVP nerfs and balancing incoming?  
Jump to: