Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Raiding Poll 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raiding Poll  (Read 74990 times)
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: June 12, 2006, 03:59:53 AM

I wonder why it took so long and why a chinese farming operation wasn't the first.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #316 on: June 12, 2006, 04:16:35 AM

Selfishness.

It took the AQ 'event' where they needed something really appealing for people to do something that wouldn't benefit themselves. (Like selling mats on the AH at ridiculous prices would.)  So, they offered the first trip.  I'm sure the response surprised them, and got the wheels turning. "Hey.. we DE a lot of crap, what if..."

I expect this will be popping up on almost every server, and then in every game, shortly.  Perhaps it will move MMOs in a different direction.  It'd take an awareness and forward-thinking drive that the industry hasn't shown yet, though.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Zane0
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: June 12, 2006, 05:01:57 AM

Our guild has started doing this; a run every two or three weeks or so in preparation for the Naxx material reqs for resistance and armor and such.  We made 6600 gold on our last run..

Shrug.  Hardcore raiders helping casuals gold buyers get epics; whodathunk it?

Although, to be fair, a smart/thrifty player can accumulate a lot of gold, and at a certain point there's nothing to spend it on.  These deals are almost always better than BoE epic prices in the AH, and they're better items.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: June 12, 2006, 05:52:09 AM

I tried (and failed) to convince my guild to do that. We're half people who have done MC for 6 months, and people who have done it for a year, and you might imagine the old-timers fucking hate the place by now.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #319 on: June 12, 2006, 07:05:42 AM

We pretty much hate MC, but there's a small but vocal minority who's trying to get us to raid it so they can get their tier 2 pants. We have several that are 7/8, and since the leading uberguild offers this sort of pay-for-the-ridealong, one of my guildmates will be taking them up on their generous offer of 1000g for the tier 2 pants off of rag this evening.

What really grinds my gears is the announcement of the naxx stuff and the rumors of the 2k gold flying expansion mount. My guild estimates that it'll take 225,000 gold worth of materials to outfit a raiding party of 40 in the naxx armor set. That's just crazy money right there.

I pretty much told everyone I'm going to be qutting the game if it forces me to farm. I absoloutely refuse to farm and buy gold, and if I can't support my raiding with it's own fruits, then so long suckers I'll find another game to play. I won't pay (with my time or my money) for the privilege of having fun. Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 07:15:04 AM by bhodi »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #320 on: June 12, 2006, 07:38:58 AM

I was just thinking....If the Alliance vs Horde war actually mattered in some way on a server/faction wide level (and wasn't just a mechanic for individual e-peening and HK's), then exclusionary raids, uberguilds, and the segregation between the have's and have not's probably wouldn't be as existent. People would go out of their way to have their entire faction equipped.

Also, to those of you who admit to liking FOH's idea: I have to wonder... Wtf do you post at F13 for? What's the appeal of being here? Why aren't you posting at FOH's site instead? Seriously, you guys are just as out of place around here as furries and Republicans.

I'm not saying that you should leave or anything like that (after all, it's not my site), but I am a little confused here.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #321 on: June 12, 2006, 08:08:51 AM

I give FoH (and others, they are not the only one) credit for finding a way to leverage their "uberness" to make some extra cash. It sucks that blizzard created this entire issue with 40 man dungeons and bind on aquire items, but you can't really blame someone for captalizing on it. It's like blaming the black market itself, when it's simply filling a niche. You should be pissed at who created the niche in the first place, not in who fills it. It is, after all, a crafted world.
edlavallee
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: June 12, 2006, 08:19:30 AM

I give FoH (and others, they are not the only one) credit for finding a way to leverage their "uberness" to make some extra cash. It sucks that blizzard created this entire issue with 40 man dungeons and bind on aquire items, but you can't really blame someone for captalizing on it. It's like blaming the black market itself, when it's simply filling a niche. You should be pissed at who created the niche in the first place, not in who fills it. It is, after all, a crafted world.

The only suprise I would have at your comments above, and my difference with it, is that I would give people credit if they sold their "uberness" to make RL cash, not some database entry with a few more zeros. Sure, they could then turn around and sell the gold for RL cash, but that takes an extra step and as we all know, americans are just downright lazy.

Zipper, lazy american.

Zipper Zee - space noob
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #323 on: June 12, 2006, 08:21:13 AM

The only suprise I would have at your comments above, and my difference with it, is that I would give people credit if they sold their "uberness" to make RL cash, not some database entry with a few more zeros. Sure, they could then turn around and sell the gold for RL cash, but that takes an extra step and as we all know, americans are just downright lazy.

Zipper, lazy american.
Well, remember, the people who are doing it ARE uberguilds. For a lot of them, the game is mother, the game is father, the game is brother, sister, the game is life. Money in the game can be better than money in real life.

Everyone who buys gold agrees.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: June 12, 2006, 09:33:28 AM

What will FoH do with the money they make?  I can't imagine that they need it.  I mean, the amount of cash guilds end up with from raids, players get cash while grinding rep, and so on.  One can play the auction house for cash, can either resell or DE low priced items.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: June 12, 2006, 09:35:48 AM

I was just thinking....If the Alliance vs Horde war actually mattered in some way on a server/faction wide level (and wasn't just a mechanic for individual e-peening and HK's), then exclusionary raids, uberguilds, and the segregation between the have's and have not's probably wouldn't be as existent. People would go out of their way to have their entire faction equipped.

Very good point.

Also, to those of you who admit to liking FOH's idea: I have to wonder... Wtf do you post at F13 for? What's the appeal of being here? Why aren't you posting at FOH's site instead? Seriously, you guys are just as out of place around here as furries and Republicans.

But that's about the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time.  There's a groupthink thing going at F13?  Who knew?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: June 12, 2006, 09:36:13 AM

What will FoH do with the money they make?  I can't imagine that they need it.  I mean, the amount of cash guilds end up with from raids, players get cash while grinding rep, and so on.  One can play the auction house for cash, can either resell or DE low priced items.

Like someone above said, tier 3 armor requires expensive shit apart from the actual dungeon drops.  Mooncloth and arcanite and some other expensive-because-theres-a-cooldown-involved stuff, so they are probably just thinking ahead.

I am the .00000001428%
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: June 12, 2006, 10:12:08 AM

In addition to all that, there's always the good old sell-it-for-cash option to pay for webhosting, teamspeak and perhaps monthly fees for all members.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: June 12, 2006, 10:15:15 AM

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. And just by playing and enjoying WoW I'm apparently among the minority here. Why am I here? Well, there is usually interesting discussion. Why else would you frequent a forum? To try to find people with exactly the same viewpoints as yourself to shore up a fragile ego? I don't know.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #329 on: June 12, 2006, 10:25:33 AM

Why respond to someone who previosly admitted to not only disliking the game, but whose only purpose in here is trolling this thread? 

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #330 on: June 12, 2006, 10:40:39 AM

Forum PvP?

"Me am play gods"
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #331 on: June 12, 2006, 10:47:29 AM

Forum PvP is ruined by mudflation imbalance. People with higher post counts have an unfair advantage. There's no skill involved.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #332 on: June 12, 2006, 10:48:01 AM

Hello Kitty
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: June 12, 2006, 12:14:14 PM

Forum PvP is ruined by mudflation imbalance. People with higher post counts have an unfair advantage. There's no skill involved.

And again with the Raucous laughter.  Thanks man.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #334 on: June 12, 2006, 02:14:10 PM

Why respond to someone who previosly admitted to not only disliking the game, but whose only purpose in here is trolling this thread? 

Actually though (speaking of not playing and trolling boards)...

I'm kind of thinking about checking everything out and rolling on ED again. As a gimpy Troll Rogue. Anyone with me? Anyone there?

Hmm

Or how about that other server you guys played on? Earthen Ring?

[EDIT]

6 hours and no reply.

I'm not trolling btw...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 05:42:49 PM by Stray »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #335 on: June 13, 2006, 08:33:26 AM

No one's dumb enough to reroll for another F13 WoW group.  They've all been abject failures. And no offense, but playing with someone that dislikes the game on principle isn't very appealing.

Anyone's that's still playing has probably carved themselves out a comfy niche somewhere. 

-Rasix
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #336 on: June 13, 2006, 09:05:06 AM

Well, I don't really mind most of the game. I've just got a lot of free time atm, and I'm looking for something to play (something social, that is).

What I truly don't like about WoW is no different than what most of you don't like: The way PvP (especially world PvP) is set up, and how endgame itemization plays out. The rest is OK for what it's supposed to be (and better than other games that try to do the same thing) -- It's just those two other systems that were mashed on top of it that suck.

As for f13 guilds, I don't know what to say about that. If anything, it's any given game's fault. We all seem to get along well, so it definitely isn't drama (not that I've seen at least).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 09:16:36 AM by Stray »
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #337 on: June 13, 2006, 09:43:58 AM

One funny thing is that a lot of my friends are re-subbing with the 14 day free trial; add to that some others who have basically dumped CoV and are looking for another game and you have a convergence of about 6 or 7 of my friends who started to play this week. I guess free trials work, and the 1-59 game is real fun. If you're alliance.

After our third week of beating against cthun and not making all that much headway in phase 2, I'm pretty tired of the raiding game now. I think I'll reroll and go play with my friends for a while.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #338 on: June 13, 2006, 10:49:25 AM

The demise of F13 groups in any game is invariably a result of a couple of different things.

1) Play schedules.  Boards are immune to this, but games aren't.  Sucks being the only one or one of two people on for any stretch of time, or to only see people showing-up as you're in the middle of something or leaving.

2) Differing goals.  SWG, Eve, and other 'virtual worlds' have handled this fine.  Directed games of any sort haven't.  Hard to get a cohesive guild together when 1/4 wants to do dungeon crawls, another 1/4 just wants to hang out and the rest are doing other crap.

3) Differing playstyles. This is particularly nasty in level-based games.  Get folks who shoot up the min/max ladder and can't help the more casual players, and the group fragments and eventually dissolves.

4) Differing tastes/ quick to burnout.  We've a lot of 'samplers' in the community.  Either things don't grab them and hold them, or they are more interested in each new shiny than the current game.  Either way we churn more than average.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: June 13, 2006, 11:46:26 AM

Oh yeah, I've seen the same thing happen with other board communities too - I'm talking the smaller boards of course, Something Awful for example consistently has guilds that work and last because there is a huge pool of people to draw from. A board like F13, you get at best 10 people or so to make a guild .... well no big surprise that doesn't end up working, 10 folks who know each other from a message board just doesn't transfer into a meaningful, functional guild. Might as well just put each other on your friends list and go off and do your own thing.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: June 13, 2006, 04:15:19 PM

We pretty much hate MC, but there's a small but vocal minority who's trying to get us to raid it so they can get their tier 2 pants.

We were pleasantly surprised to find the other night that Broodlord in BWL drops Tier 2 pants - not sure what the drop percentage is, but it means we may be able to wave goodbye to the boring rockiness of MC forever!
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: June 13, 2006, 07:18:11 PM

We pretty much hate MC, but there's a small but vocal minority who's trying to get us to raid it so they can get their tier 2 pants.

We were pleasantly surprised to find the other night that Broodlord in BWL drops Tier 2 pants - not sure what the drop percentage is, but it means we may be able to wave goodbye to the boring rockiness of MC forever!

Must have been a fluke because I've never seen one pair drop in a year of killing him and allah and thottbot dont show any either. Are you sure someone didnt confuse greaves with legs? Greaves are usually used as a term for legs but blizz ssems to call boots greaves.

pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: June 13, 2006, 07:41:27 PM

It was definately pants - coz it was hunter pants and I ummed and aahed and eventually didn't bother going for em, since they werent a great upgrade over my existing tier1 hunter pants.  If they were boots/greaves I would have been all over em like a rash since my boots suck.  I'll double check with my guildies that is was Broodlord - maybe I'm getting confused with him and the 3 drakes (Flamegor, Ebonroc and the other one) since we fight all of them in pretty much the same spot.  Will get back to you.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: June 13, 2006, 09:17:32 PM

Eh broolord has never dropped legs for us, and allah and thottbot dont show any drops either.  Im pretty sure you must be mistaken.

I am the .00000001428%
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: June 13, 2006, 09:59:31 PM

Hmm, my guildies are calling me a liar too.  Perhaps I had been drinking too much that night...
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: June 14, 2006, 10:17:24 AM

Hmm, my guildies are calling me a liar too.  Perhaps I had been drinking too much that night...

He does drop Dragonstalker greaves, which in most games would be legs but in this game are boots.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #346 on: June 14, 2006, 10:25:35 AM

Warcraft! Good god!

Say it again!

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: June 14, 2006, 11:56:14 AM

Greaves are shinguards.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #348 on: June 14, 2006, 12:28:13 PM

All teir 2 leg pieces come from Ragnaros.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Raiding Poll  
Jump to: