Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:11:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: Request for those at the E3, Dungeon Runners and Exteel FOR FREE? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Request for those at the E3, Dungeon Runners and Exteel FOR FREE?  (Read 17450 times)
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

on: May 12, 2006, 01:33:38 AM

Ok, so you are at the E3. What about going to hunt some infos?

On Joystiq they say that both DR and Exteel will be available for free anticipating the "free model" that SOE was planning to do later on. Through RMTs and content purchase.

If it's true this is a huge news. Or at least I wasn't aware of this.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 01:41:56 AM

If this is the E3 request thread.

@The Warhammer Mythic Booth

Force a Dev to confirm there are no levels and it has a career system.  Nasty whispers that the design has changed to be more like a certain Blizzard game.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 06:47:55 AM

Get Paris's autograph!  Heart Be sure to use latex gloves to handle anything she touches though.

Paris Hilton blows a kiss to a screaming fan while signing autographs at the Electronic Entertainment Expo. (AP Photo/Ric Francis)

... I just noticed the link in that url has game_geeks in it.  Fair enough.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 06:57:05 AM

Get Paris's autograph!  Heart Be sure to use latex gloves to handle anything she touches though.

Paris Hilton blows a kiss to a screaming fan while signing autographs at the Electronic Entertainment Expo. (AP Photo/Ric Francis)

An even more impressive and yet subtle set of letters within the url in boldface and capitalized below:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20060512/ca_PR_ON_en/paris_hilton_game_geeks_1

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 09:47:09 AM

Ok, so you are at the E3. What about going to hunt some infos?

On Joystiq they say that both DR and Exteel will be available for free anticipating the "free model" that SOE was planning to do later on. Through RMTs and content purchase.

If it's true this is a huge news. Or at least I wasn't aware of this.

I'm fairly sure I'm allowed to say "yes, that is correct". I'm about 90% sure they're going to a RMT revenue model. I'll doublecheck today if I remember.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 09:57:09 AM

I would still hit it. I would wear a body condom, but yeah.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 10:17:16 AM

They didn't say anything about RMT. But Soccer Fury, Exteel, a tennis game tentatively titled Smash Star, and Dungeon Runners are free to download and play. At some point it's going to cost money somehow. They have not decided on a revenue model.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 07:06:09 PM

Did Paris gain a little weight?

In her case, this is a good thing.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 10:30:00 PM

Did Paris gain a little weight?

In her case, this is a good thing.
Yeah her boobies look bigger.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 03:08:13 AM

Push up chaps, push up.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 01:35:34 PM

Push up chaps, push up.
Push up chaps sound like disturbing legwear.  Control top hose would look better.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 07:01:55 PM

Just got back. Exteel was my big point of interest at the NC booth, and here's what I have to say about it:

I wanted to like it, I waited a year for more information, and I'm simply not impressed.

You're correct, there is no subscription. Possibly because they knew they couldn't charge for it. Exteel isn't an MMOG. It's an third person shooter. There are missions in which up to 16 players (8 per side) fight on a map. There's nothing around that. At all. You pick a battle map, it gets filled, you go. There are rankings and whatnot, but no linking world. It's like EA's Battlefield 2 servers.

Controls are twitch-based. The people there were hammering the mice and keyboards.

RMT. Lots of it. More mech types, better weapons, and so on. And here's the rub; the guy who spend $500 on uber equipment? He can be thrown into the same maps as a bunch of people who've spent nothing. There will be private maps (they were vague on the details), but the default is the random matchup. Anyone with disposable income gets a better chance to win.

Environments are completely non-reactive. That bus you keep tripping over is melded to the landscape. Your two-story mech can't punt it, and you can't blow it up. It's just there, and you have to go around or over it.

The only bright spot is that there is some detail to the combat. Like an FPS, fire can be blocked by intervening objects. Many of the mecha have shields, which can be angled forward or to fore-port / fore-starboard. If your shield isn't facing the right way, it won't help you.

Really, what it reminds me of is the single player Gundam games, like Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam. I could deal with that, but combined with the "buy your way to victory" subscription model, it really leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 01:05:39 AM

Are you assuming that the money spent on the product will go immediately toward better upgrades/equipment, or did they imply that?

Not that there's a ton of other stuff to spend it on, but they could still offer varying maps, different models, etc.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 01:38:58 AM

RMT is a Korean thing. They have not decided what the final American subscription format will be. But having spoken to Garriott at last years AGC, I really don't think RMT will be where Exteel goes. I see that happening with Smash Star first and then, maybe it'll be added to things like Exteel. Dungeon Runners and Soccer Fury I see as added benefits to getting an NCSoft playpass thing for all their games. They could easily bump the price up a buck or three each to have them thrown in.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 02:39:02 AM

Are you assuming that the money spent on the product will go immediately toward better upgrades/equipment, or did they imply that?

After they explained the FPS style, I asked why people would pay for a gameplay style they can already get for free. The woman I spoke with said the money would come from added content. "Like Guild Wars' expansions?" I asked. No, not in terms of big boxed expansions. More in the lines of purchasing access to items. I threw out, "So, new mechs, new weapons, playing on new maps?" She said yes, though she could have meant all of that, or just one item. I then specifically asked whether people who'd bought better weapons would be seeded into the same maps as people who hadn't, and she said yes.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 03:20:29 AM

Well, all the NCSoft told us that they hadn't nailed down anything about the business model of these things except "free to download, no monthly fee, we'll charge for something content related", but we may not have received the full story.

As always, I suppose it requires we wait and see whether this would be an issue.  Realistically, the game doesn't need to support people who weren't going to pay for anything anyways.  It has to find that balance between offering nothing for paying players and offering paying players so much that they cut out new users who may have come through the free system.  Obviously it won't be perfect, anywhere on that scale loses some players, but I think they could pull off a profitable balance.  This would especially be the case if they pushed out their own Access Pass to all their games and gave me, a paying CoH subscriber, ample reason to spend a few bucks on Exteel.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 01:18:55 PM

Push up chaps, push up.

You have to have boobs for a push-up to work though.

But hey, she looks....better.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 01:31:54 PM

Sigh. Nevermind.
Sachant
Developers

Wolfpack

Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 03:33:40 PM

I liked Exteel myself.  It was alot of fun to play.  It took a little getting used to in using the extra rocket bursts like speed boosts.  I like that left and right mouse buttons operate left and right weapons and that you can overheat if you aren't careful.  I had a great time sliding around a building part and using LOS against someone that had a bigger gun until they were a burning heap on the ground. 

I think it will do well because it is a sort of jump in, jump out have a blast (literally) sort of game.  I enjoyed playing it and enjoyed that it was a mindless sort of pursuit but a fun sort of mindless pursuit.  It reminded me of playing SHOGO M.A.D.  I love mech battles though and I saw a few other games that had some great mech types of battle.  Battlefield 2142 for one comes to mind.  I'll definetly play for the free d/l though. ;)  Money and time are limited so I'll take what I can get.

Sachant
Bartle Test Killer  73% , Socializer  60%, Explorer  60%, Achiever  6%
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: Request for those at the E3, Dungeon Runners and Exteel FOR FREE?  
Jump to: