Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:36:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DAoC New Expansion - Some Of The Shiney 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DAoC New Expansion - Some Of The Shiney  (Read 18958 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: June 11, 2004, 08:59:58 AM

But seriously, do you really think they can do that without fucking it up spectacularly? Because if you do, you have a lot more faith in them than I do.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: June 11, 2004, 09:07:26 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
But seriously, do you really think they can do that without fucking it up spectacularly? Because if you do, you have a lot more faith in them than I do.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 12, 2004, 08:35:11 PM

Quote from: kaid
The chat channel server is different code than the standard ooc/say/shout/tell stuff.

Yes, and they've fucked that up.

And they fucked up EQIM.

And SWG still has chat channel problems.

EQ2 will as well.

I have no doubt that the year-old promise of EQ2 chat talking to EQ1 chat is technically achievable. I just doubt the achiever. They'll nail it eventually, but they sure as shit don't want it to be a launch selling feature. I guarantee it won't work at Launch.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #38 on: June 13, 2004, 02:07:53 PM

I rather like the DAoC graphics upgrade. I don't think they got rid of the fantasy look. They managed to retain most of the defining features to each race (so far.) We'll have to wait and see the game in action. Sadly, at E3 they were running Frontiers and not catacombs despite there being a sign saying catacombs. Go figure.

When they release a video we'll see.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 13, 2004, 05:15:48 PM

I saw the new models at the nVidia booth (had many games including DAoC) but none of them were in action. Just a bunch of side-by-sides standing NPCs to show old versus new. When I went back later, someone was running with a small group inside a huge cavernous place. They said it was Catacombs, but I've been long outta DAoC to know the difference.

What I saw worked pretty well. The lighting engine seems the same though, which is a shame. Water looked better than ever. Characters worked smoothly... in a six person group indoors, so take it for what that's worth :)

I never got to the Mythic room though. I thought it was invite-only, since this year it was byy the free-computers in that corridor between the Halls. Then I heard it wasn't but by then I had too much to see before I left at 4pm.

I suppose there's a point in here somewhere...

Oh, yea, why is it that only DAoC has capes?! None in EQ still and non in CoH still, two games screaming for them! Rar.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #40 on: June 13, 2004, 05:49:51 PM

When capes were added to DAoC I remember a few problems coming up with them. I don't think it's an easy thing to add to a 3D game, or so they say. Not like capes make or break a game though.

Edit: I too was under the impression it was invite only. I walked past twice thinking "I should go in", but decided not to thinking of how stupid I'd feel if I was told to "STFU NOOB AND GET THE HELL OUT!" when I walked in. Oh well, maybe next year. The problem was that they were RIGHT beside Lucasarts which was invite-only. That shyed me away even more.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #41 on: June 14, 2004, 12:03:03 AM

Quote from: Darniaq
Oh, yea, why is it that only DAoC has capes?! None in EQ still and non in CoH still, two games screaming for them! Rar.

WoW has them but they need a lot of work to be decent, right now the result isn't outstanding.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 14, 2004, 02:33:00 AM

Quote from: Darniaq

I don't know how DAoC capes work, but do the animate based upon the users movement?  Do they flap behind you when flying?  That was the concern with the capes in CoH... you didn't to fly around with a cape hanging as if it were starched and superglued to your back.  Since CoH is rather unique in allowed your character to maintain any orientation while in flight, the cape needs to "hang' realistically at a variety of angles (as opposed to simply acting in a pre-defined fashion during a short animation).

I understand frame rates are a concern as well.  I've heard second-hand that when large groups are together in DAoC, people remove their capes so everybody isn't lagged to death.

Bruce
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 14, 2004, 03:56:16 AM

The reason for that is not so much the capes themselves but the fact that DAOC allows each cape to be customized with guild colours and logo.

The COH devs said that there was nothing particularly difficult about adding capes, it's just a question of time, since the cape model has to be hand animated to match every existing movement animation for the three base player models, and there was simply no way they could get it done by release.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 14, 2004, 04:41:32 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
I understand frame rates are a concern as well.  I've heard second-hand that when large groups are together in DAoC, people remove their capes so everybody isn't lagged to death.

Yes, there are pre-designed cape animations for the movements available to players in DAoC. They aren't modeled to animate based on real-time physics or anything special like that, but they do look good in the implementation that Mythic chose to use.

As to removing capes for lag help, that happened often in the past, but not so much any more since equipment is so important to stats on characters and every cape has stats that are usually quite helpful to players and some figure those stats into their Spellcrafted armor template as well.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 14, 2004, 04:49:54 AM

The thing about removing capes in DAoC was an urban myth - yes raid leaders occaisionnal demanded that everyone do it - but it didn't make any significant difference to framerate. They consist of 3 small textures and don't add significantly to the poly count of the character.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 14, 2004, 04:53:46 AM

Quote from: eldaec
The thing about removing capes in DAoC was an urban myth - yes raid leaders occaisionnal demanded that everyone do it - but it didn't make any significant difference to framerate. They consist of 3 small textures and don't add significantly to the poly count of the character.

Heh, go figure. I always had a top end system, so framerate was never an issue for me and I was never able to get a solid answer on whether or not it helped people. After a few times doing it, I simply started ignoring raid leader requests to remove them. I was a Healer after all, so they weren't going to boot me anyhow. ;)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 14, 2004, 05:07:33 AM

I always refused to remove my cape simply because if I did I wouldn't have been able to move: I was either weighed down with arrows (back before they reduced arrow weight) or parts to assemble a battering ram.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #48 on: June 14, 2004, 07:38:50 AM

I never removed mine because it added to most of my INT. And it was the collar cloak which was so much love. I remember being BANNED from a Caer Sidi (is that right? Been awhile) raid for not wanting to remove my clock. Boy, that was fun. Sitting in AC PL'ing people until my buddies got back. Fuck, I hate the elitists in DAoC.
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 16, 2004, 07:11:12 AM

Quote from: geldonyetich
It's a fairly bad sign I can't tell which is the new model in 4 out of 6 of those samples without checking the caption below.

for your obstetrician, its a very good sign.

unbannable
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: June 16, 2004, 07:16:27 AM

Quote from: Arcadian Del Sol
Quote from: geldonyetich
It's a fairly bad sign I can't tell which is the new model in 4 out of 6 of those samples without checking the caption below.

for your obstetrician, its a very good sign.

I hate to ruin what was sure to be a clever joke....but you do mean Optometrist right? Obstetricians deal solely with pregnancy. Sooooooooo, I just don't get it.
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 16, 2004, 07:45:54 AM

I am neither pregnant nor do i require glasses. I was suggesting he needs his eyes checked.

Consider the joke broken.

unbannable
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #52 on: June 16, 2004, 08:58:12 AM

I think you were just trying to call him a whiny pussy.

schild
Administrator

Reply #53 on: June 16, 2004, 08:59:52 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
I think you were just trying to call him a whiny pussy.

That's what I thought at first. But then I realized an obstetrician and a gynecologist have two very, very different jobs.

So I think the conclusion of all this is: For Geldon's gynecologist, this is a very good sign.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DAoC New Expansion - Some Of The Shiney  
Jump to: