Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:28:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Deed-lite on a split card 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deed-lite on a split card  (Read 6258 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: March 29, 2006, 01:57:47 PM

If anyone doesn't know, the mechanic here is that you can play this card either as the thing on the left, or as the thing on the right.

The right side is close to a reprint of the most expensive card on mtgo, unfortunately with the words 'or less' omitted.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 08:15:41 PM

Hmmm....  Seems like it could be pretty powerful,  but not crazy.  The limitation on the Deed effect gives B/G a decent conditional board sweeper.  Most aggro decks, for instance,  run a shitload of 1, 2, or 3 casting cost creatures and effects.

For example,  blow it for 2 and you take out most good aggro creatures (Hand of Dishonor, most of the white and black agg creatures like Skyknight or Eight & Half Tails, White or Silver Knights, etc) as well as killing that annoying Jitte. 

Crime could see some good conditional use against control decks.  (It's now MY Meloku/Kokusho/etc)

Bringing back old powerhouses as mildly less powerful (but similar) cards is something Wizards has been doing for a while.  Engineered Explosives was essentially Powderkeg with the power notched back a bit.  Plague Boiler was similar to Deed/Oblivion Stone.  There have been numerous attempts to bring back Swords to Plowshares as something not as staggeringly broken.

LOVE seeing the dual cards brought back.  It's a great idea, though I doubt we'll see anything like Fire/Ice.  God I love putting it on a scepter....
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 06:10:54 PM

Isochron Scepter + Boomerang = win.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 09:26:54 PM

Isochron Scepter + Boomerang = win.

Not necessarily.

The problem is that you have to resolve a win condition while keeping mana open to defend your scepter.  Essentially, you've stalled your opponent at the cost of two perma tapped lands,  and a vulnerable scepter.  In extended,  lots of anti-artifact tech running around, too.

Fire/Ice wrecks aggro decks.  And when you've cleared the board,  you can shoot to the head.  The Ice effect is huge in Extended against any deck that's focused around throwing a fatal threat at you (Tog, Through the Breach/Reanimator types),  and it can stall a hungry Spiritmonger or Akroma until you draw an equalizer.

Scepter + Orim's Chant is just amazing to play with.  Instant lockdown.  It's too bad that Chant online is going for the same price as black market kidneys.....
Strazos

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 04:23:09 PM

Well, with the "Scepterang" (As Romeo on StarCity called it) could lock out a deck if it got a good opening hand. What are you going to do with 1 mana on the board?

Oh, and fuck Extended. That's for super-veteran rich kids. I perfered Standard when I played, or even limited.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 07:47:38 PM

Extended favors early adopters. You don't have to be rich.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 07:54:16 PM

Well, with the "Scepterang" (As Romeo on StarCity called it) could lock out a deck if it got a good opening hand. What are you going to do with 1 mana on the board?

Oh, and fuck Extended. That's for super-veteran rich kids. I perfered Standard when I played, or even limited.

Extended online is borked because there's so few Invasion block cards out there.  Cardboard,  it's not too tough to compete.

If you have to activate Scepter each turn,  then you can't play any card drawers or get any threats out.  And most decks will have at least 4x artifact removal on the side. (oxidize, naturalize, that new red arty destruction, shatter, etc)

Most aggro decks have lots of 1 and 2 cc threats,  too.  Against goblins or ravager,  boomerang doesn't help too much.  Against even type 2 decks like white weenie or white/black,  not great.  Two damage wherever you want it will clear aggro creatures, fast.  In a pinch, you can tap one creature and draw a card with Ice.  (I love Ice... heh)

There are some decent Extended decks that aren't too tough price wise to put together.  Tog, Blue/Green Madness (some substitutions), and Ravager.  Goblins were mostly in Onslaught and so pretty available.

It's really only impossible to play Extended control decks.  Those suckers need dozens of overpriced cards.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 07:58:30 PM

Extended favors early adopters. You don't have to be rich.

Extended is a great playground for people who have played for a while.  They'll have all the cards,  through drafting or trading when the cards were still available and in type 2.

Wizards has made a couple of steps in fixing the imbalance in the availability of Invasion block cards with thier new tournement qualifiers that lead to IPA drafts, but I wish they'd do more.

Maybe giving IPA boosters as prizes in drafts or leagues?

I'm not really sure how it could be done without fucking up the secondary market.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 08:00:42 PM

How about "fuck the secondary market." This is an online game. When it closes, all the money we spent on it will be gone and forgotten.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 01:39:12 AM

The simplest fix for the secondary market is to wait three years.

Apart from occaisional problems, such as wotc printing cards useful in every single control deck as rare artifacts in the 3rd set of a block, and dual lands ofc, the secondary market for extended after the next rotation will be fine. The real issues are restricted to IPA cards.

And you can already build around the IPA problem, plenty of decks don't use IPA.

This is an online game. When it closes, all the money we spent on it will be gone and forgotten.

While true, that's unlikely to happen until the day support for magic on cardboard also disappears, when your paper collection will likely also be junk.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 02:20:29 AM

I don't think paper collections will ever be junk. Goddamn game will outlast all other RPGish larper bordering cardgames.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 09:29:02 AM

Does MTGO ever stop selling out of date sets?

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 09:38:04 AM

Yes.
Strazos

Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 02:04:34 PM

Does MTGO ever stop selling out of date sets?

But paper does not. I actually know of places where I can still pick up Invasion stuff, and it's not even a geeky card/comic shop.

Fear the Backstab!
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 05:22:00 PM

Wrong. Just because you can pick it up doesn't mean it's still for sale via WoTC. There are stores that specifically hold onto stock solely so they can sell out of date stuff. Sure, it's a niche product. But it's a fantatic niche in a cutthroat market. Eventually WoTC discontinues every set and stores simply can't get anymore.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 08:48:21 PM

Yah.....   A good find is when you discover some out of the way place trying to sell a bunch of discontinued merchandise.  Look at chain bookstores or music stores.  Likely, they'll buy some product and none of their clientale are Magic players, so it sits.

Discovered a couple of the "Rats" precons from Kami block this way.  $9 for a precon,  that happens to have one copy of Jitte in each.  I know a couple places still selling Odyssey block boosters.

My best day....  Stopped by the card shop,  bought some Onslaught.  Discovered it was one of the very rare boxes that the Wizards card sorters goofed on.  Most booster packs had 2 or 3 rares in them.  Immediately bought out the box and laughed my way home.  Can't say no to a bunch of fetch lands, rare gobbos, and exalted angels.

Unopened boosters from old sets can go for big, big bucks.  Even unopened Urza block or Revised can go for $10 a pop,  and obviously alpha/beta/unlimited for much more.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 03:58:49 PM

Supply//Demand  XGW // 1WU 
Sorcery 
Put X 1/1 green Saprolings creature tokens into play.
//////////////
Search your library for a multicolored card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Illus. Daren Bader
#157?/180

mtgsalvation is reporting this as an uncommon??

Strazos

Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 09:33:05 PM

There's tons of colored-coded nukes in this block, so a bunch of 1/1 saprolings are not neccessarily a big deal - they'll just draw one of the nukes out.

Fear the Backstab!
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 07, 2006, 04:42:56 AM

There's tons of colored-coded nukes in this block, so a bunch of 1/1 saprolings are not neccessarily a big deal - they'll just draw one of the nukes out.

Yah, the weakness of Supply is that it's a sorcery.

On the other hand,  tutors are generally powerful.  A 3 cc "get any multicolored card" which you can easily build around would seem to be pretty powerful.  Especially when you can splash a touch of green in that W/U deck to make it double as another win condition.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Deed-lite on a split card  
Jump to: