Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:42:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Game Review: Black 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game Review: Black  (Read 9703 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

on: March 09, 2006, 08:23:53 PM

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 07:19:55 PM

It sounds like some D&D games I was subjected to in my youth.  Even in a shooter, combat needs to be dramatic, meaningful, and important, even when it's not.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 10:52:59 PM

One thing that you noted in your review was no multiplayer....

IMHO, the holy grail right now for bleeding edge gaming tech is networked physics. Without going into long and boring tech discussions, it's currently not very possible to have true synchronized simulations running concurrently with highly accurate physics and a lot of physics objects across the intarnet. It's damned difficult tech even on a LAN (just ask the military--even their simulations don't network physics, just position/orientation states for the most part).

Pretty much anyone can dump novodex, havoc, or whatever you wish physics libraries into a game and have fun with effects, but networked (accurate, without smoke and mirrors) game play affecting physics is an entirely different story.

Rumors of War
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 06:44:20 AM

damn you work!
By the time I get to comment in that thread it will be four fucking months old  cry

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 06:06:47 PM

One thing that you noted in your review was no multiplayer....

IMHO, the holy grail right now for bleeding edge gaming tech is networked physics. Without going into long and boring tech discussions, it's currently not very possible to have true synchronized simulations running concurrently with highly accurate physics and a lot of physics objects across the intarnet. It's damned difficult tech even on a LAN (just ask the military--even their simulations don't network physics, just position/orientation states for the most part).

Pretty much anyone can dump novodex, havoc, or whatever you wish physics libraries into a game and have fun with effects, but networked (accurate, without smoke and mirrors) game play affecting physics is an entirely different story.
I could've sworn that Half Life 2 simulated physics with somewhat reasonable accuracy online? What with Garry's Mod and HL2 DM with the grav guns. Of course, any big explosion or large collision results in a good 1-2 seconds of extreme lag.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 01:06:39 PM

I'd have to run two instances of HL2DM and see if the toilet I smashed into someone's skull ended up in the same place on both screens.  They might, but the lag could be the after-havok updating/syncing that Zepp was hinting at.  The "real" way to do it, if I am understanding it, is to have the input from remote sources computed simultaneously and the results sent to everyone.  Maybe Zepp can correct me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Game Review: Black  
Jump to: