Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:45:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: 7yr Anniversary Pack for UO. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 7yr Anniversary Pack for UO.  (Read 16764 times)
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 27, 2004, 08:07:27 AM

But you could have reverted to an old save, you said. If you liked the game, why didn't you? Doesn't make much sense to me. That's why I assumed you didn't like it. I've had a few games over the last ten years go wonky on me to the point I had to reload, but I never quit them due to it.

Because I had two saves, both after the game ending bug that I didn't know about till too late.  There was no crash or anything, the story just stopped and fizzled.  I didn't KNOW there was supposed to be a dagger on that corpse, I just figured I missed something.

And I have never gone back and totally restarted a game because of a bug.  I uninstall games that do that to me, or I wait for a patch and THEN try again.  U7 had no patch to fix that.  And it was apparently (according to the FAQ I read) one of about 4 places that similar things could happen.  The only way to fully avoid it to my knowledge was to get lucky or play with the walkthrough on your lap.  The latter is not an option in a story driven game for me, and I already had shown my lack of luck with this particular title.  I moved on with my life.  It was only $15 bucks blown for the game an the expansion out of the value bin anyway.  No big loss.  The game also ran abit wonky with moslo and all that stuff.  Either too fast or too slow, never smooth.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 27, 2004, 02:28:58 PM

While we're all being honest, WW2 Online had a BETA patch (that is, a patch that only beta testers tried out, not an official release patch) which would delete any files in C:\.  Not a recursive delete, just any files there... unfortunately, some of those are usually critical.  Terrible, yes, but the patch was only out there for a few hours, only a few people were affected, and it never made it out to the mass player base.

I know nothing about PC installers/uninstallers, but this seems to be a common problem, I presume from not setting a path variable correctly in the scripting language.

Bruce
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 27, 2004, 02:41:56 PM

Quote from: SirBruce
but this seems to be a common problem, I presume from not setting a path variable correctly in the scripting language.

I haven't run into that problem with 1.5 million installs using WISE (an install packer). It handles all uninstalls automatically (they all do usually). Anything installed gets removed.

Every time you pack a new version you run the risk of screwing something up though (routine can get you every time).

And, hey, that is what beta testers are for. So the game breakers don't make it to the paying players.
WayAbvPar

Reply #38 on: May 27, 2004, 03:18:29 PM

Quote from: SirBruce
While we're all being honest, WW2 Online had a BETA patch (that is, a patch that only beta testers tried out, not an official release patch) which would delete any files in C:\.  Not a recursive delete, just any files there... unfortunately, some of those are usually critical.  Terrible, yes, but the patch was only out there for a few hours, only a few people were affected, and it never made it out to the mass player base.

I know nothing about PC installers/uninstallers, but this seems to be a common problem, I presume from not setting a path variable correctly in the scripting language.

Bruce

Heh- I remember that. I just missed getting caught by it; I just happened to check the forums before I patched.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: 7yr Anniversary Pack for UO.  
Jump to: