Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:53:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Need an inty pilot. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need an inty pilot.  (Read 7079 times)
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

on: January 31, 2006, 11:31:12 PM

Anyone intrested in flying an intercepter?  Coyote maybe?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 07:46:59 AM

I am, though I'm kinda going for Assault Ships right now. Two level 5 skills suck.

- Viin
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 07:52:09 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm working towards.  But Frigate V and Evasive Manuevering V are a long ways off.  Getting the learning skills to IV at the moment, almost done with that.   
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 08:10:58 AM

I haven't actually checked, but it looks like the skill requiremenets for Interceptors are actually worse than that for Cruisers.  Egad, man.

So you can choose between a big bad ship, or a teeny bad ship... The Caldari interceptors are beefed up Condor's... and while I liked the Condor's speed...  I'm not sure it was all that advantageous in combat.  Then again, I have 4 days of experience, what do I know.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 08:19:05 AM

I haven't actually checked, but it looks like the skill requiremenets for Interceptors are actually worse than that for Cruisers.  Egad, man.

Inty's take a LOT more training - Cruisers just need Racial Frigate IV, which takes maybe 3-4 days to get from I, and its possible to start the game with Frigate IV if you customize right.  Frigate IV to V takes... 12-14 days, I think?  Depends on learning skills.  And Evasive Manuvering takes just as long to get to V, and most people start it from 0.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 08:23:44 AM

Frigate IV to V takes... 12-14 days, I think?  Depends on learning skills.

With no learning skills to speak of?  ~25 days.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 08:59:28 AM

The way I see it there are 3 paths you can go down:

Frigate>Cruiser>Battlecruiser>HAC/Command Ship

Frigate>Cruiser>(Battlecruiser)>Battleship

Frigate>Destroyer>Assault Frig/Interceptor

These are combat routes of course, anyone doing non combat work needs to train so they can use a hauler, then decide which route to ub3r mining they want to take.

I'll be going route #1, while Battleships may be the logical choice, I really like the look of the Sacrilege and I like the look and the role of the Damnation even more.

Then again, this doesn't take Covert Ops into account, blahblah, anyways this is why EvE is a good game options are fun.

Bottom line though my plan is this.

Skill up everything I could possibly find useful in my Proph to three, four if very useful.   Once I've done that I'll start skilling up my warfare link modules (which will require taking my CHA learning skills up and I'll probably buy an expensive implant too considering the rank on them) then taking all the V's needed for Command Ships, which last I checked are about 5-6 skills, luckily I have 2 of them already but still Cruiser V is not far under 30 days to train with my current (quite good I think) learning skill levels.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 09:20:21 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 09:25:24 AM

Yes and no.  While Intys require 2 level V skills (and 3 for Assault Frigs) , they still use small turrets and small launchers.  You don't have to train medium turrets, heavy missiles and the like to make them effective like you do with cruisers and can instead toss that time into getting to the small T2 guns and other utility skills.

Of course they're also a LOT more expensive (My AF cost me 18mil vs 7mil for a Rupture) and you have to finesse your way through things rather than brute-forcing them like you can with a cruiser.

In a Side-by Side Comparison for a Minmatar Interceptor(Claw) and the best basic Frigate (Rifter):  The Inty will have more power, only 25 less CPU, the same hardpoints, one fewer med one more low, 25 more cap be 155m/s faster (475 speed), have a smaller sig rad., more HPs, a little more resist, and more base armor.

The only comparison tool I found in a quick search was Here.  Since Eve-i died I have no idea where to find the wealth of information and comparison tools it had and kept updated.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 09:41:19 AM

I ran into this one earlier:

http://essdb.milair.net/essdb.php

Can show you a lot of ships and their stats at once for comparison.

- Viin
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 10:08:21 AM

I ran into this one earlier:

http://essdb.milair.net/essdb.php

Can show you a lot of ships and their stats at once for comparison.

That's pretty slick.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 01:04:30 PM

Frigate IV to V takes... 12-14 days, I think?  Depends on learning skills.

With no learning skills to speak of?  ~25 days.

Over 30 days for me.  Frigate V is never going to happen, just to get that out in the open now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 01:25:26 PM

Sure it will...just do it in bite-sized chunks. 8 hours here, 8 there, etc.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 01:25:37 PM

I can fly an Interceptor, but I fly it so badly, I stuck it in my garage.  You need a ton of the Engineering/Electronics skills to make it worthwhile.  Otherwise you're just flying a very expensive, very fast frigate.  Mine is going to stay on the shelf till I flesh out some of my Electronics/Eng, for webs, scrambling, whatever.  I flew it like a brick with a rocket pack strapped to it.

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 01:27:52 PM

I can't sub for another week or two anyway, so I left it training when my trial account expired.  Assuming that works, then it will shave off most of the time before I'm back.

Of course, since I yearn for a battleship, it's mostly pointless.  But having variable options open is nice.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 01:46:24 PM

Sure it will...just do it in bite-sized chunks. 8 hours here, 8 there, etc.

I'll get it when I have run out of useful skills to train.  Mind you, I'd like to have it now since it would help my frigate mining, but no.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 03:27:31 PM

I'll look into it.

I was looking more towards moving into capital ships...but assault and interceptors are badass.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 01:37:10 AM

I usually do all my 'long haul' training over night, then cancel it in the morning and start something thats only going to take a couple of hours.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 05:29:07 AM

I can fly an Interceptor, but I fly it so badly, I stuck it in my garage.  You need a ton of the Engineering/Electronics skills to make it worthwhile.  Otherwise you're just flying a very expensive, very fast frigate.  Mine is going to stay on the shelf till I flesh out some of my Electronics/Eng, for webs, scrambling, whatever.  I flew it like a brick with a rocket pack strapped to it.
I actually put together a ghetto-interceptor for a corp war (which imploded as soon as the attackers realised that the other corp was fighting back) - fast T1 frigate (Crusader, in this case), as much nanofibre structure as you can fit in lows, MWD + webber in mediums and nosferatu + gatling laser (for killing drones) in high. It topped out at just over 3.5Km/sec with the MWD firing...and cost a couple of hundred thousand isk, tops.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 09:55:04 AM

I am really enjoying the small quick frigate action (especially vs non-missile cruisers...they have a hell of a time hitting me), so I am definitely considering Interceptors and/or Tech 2 Frigates as medium range goal.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 09:58:47 AM

Either the game needs loot drones or I'll be going into Assault Frigs when I start my combat char.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 10:26:32 AM

I hear tractor beams are good for that.  haven't tried them myself though
Strazos

Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 01:48:10 PM

I really hate picking up far-flung loot cans...but I'm not about to sacrifice survivability or firepower for a small convience.

Though that might be something for a support pilot to consider.

Also, I'm going to take a look at the assault cruisers when I get back....Bigger, Beefier cruisers = Happy Panda

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 01:49:57 PM

You mean Battlecruisers?

- Viin
Strazos

Reply #23 on: February 02, 2006, 01:50:48 PM

No, what I really meant was heavy assault ships. They're the tech2 cruisers.

Fear the Backstab!
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 02, 2006, 01:54:26 PM

You can fly those already? Hell, I just got reqs for Assault Frigates!  Heartbreak

- Viin
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 02:03:43 PM

Heavy assault cruisers require months of training - even more if you want to equip them with decent components and they cost more than a top of the line battleship in most cases. And the insurance that you get for them will only pay out like they were a normal cruiser so if it blows up you are seriously screwed.  HACs are NOT the next ship upgrade after normal cruisers. :)
Strazos

Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 02:08:09 PM

I said I was going to take a look, not try and fly one.  wink

Fear the Backstab!
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 03:58:38 PM

What do we need an interceptor pilot for anyways?

- Viin
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 04:17:10 PM

Helping with guard duty :(
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 04:24:00 PM

PVP. We mostly float cruisers and damage-based frigates at the moment; having a tackler or two to scram/web would let all those guns actually get into range.

What spawned this was a covert ops cruiser harassing us in lowsec a few days ago; he'd warp in and cloak, taxi out of our range, drop cloak and start firing extreme-range missiles (100km or so) - not enough damage to do anything, but still annoying. When we tried to chase him, we mostly couldn't catch up (until I came up with a warp-slingshot tactic that I think is pretty cool) - and once we could catch up, he just warped as soon as we warped into range.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #30 on: February 02, 2006, 04:25:24 PM

Tacklers are a huge part of any non-solo pvp.  Interceptors make the best tacklers I would imagine.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 02, 2006, 04:26:39 PM

Ah ok. I could always take a frigate fitted with webber/scrambler and a MWD. Since I can reach 2000m/s it works pretty well. Not as great as an interceptor, but a lot cheaper if it were blown up!

- Viin
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 02, 2006, 05:34:58 PM

Ah ok. I could always take a frigate fitted with webber/scrambler and a MWD. Since I can reach 2000m/s it works pretty well. Not as great as an interceptor, but a lot cheaper if it were blown up!

On a rifter I can get over 3500 m/s, might be ever faster (and cheaper) on an executioner.  I'm already trained for pirating, so scrambling and whatever else is no problem.   
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 03, 2006, 04:18:19 AM

PVP. We mostly float cruisers and damage-based frigates at the moment; having a tackler or two to scram/web would let all those guns actually get into range.

What spawned this was a covert ops cruiser harassing us in lowsec a few days ago; he'd warp in and cloak, taxi out of our range, drop cloak and start firing extreme-range missiles (100km or so) - not enough damage to do anything, but still annoying. When we tried to chase him, we mostly couldn't catch up (until I came up with a warp-slingshot tactic that I think is pretty cool) - and once we could catch up, he just warped as soon as we warped into range.

Sounds like it was just a vanila cruiser with a cloaking device - I dont believe the 'proper' cloak for the stealth cruisers is in yet and if it were you wouldnt have seen him warp in because the stealth ships with the 'proper' cloak can warp while cloaked

Heres some tips for dealing with non-covert ops cloaker though (covert ops cloaks follow most of whats below with a few exceptions)

While cloaked his speed is reduced to something like 10% of normal and you cant run modules while cloaked (so no afterburner etc.), if you see the point where he warped in make a bee line for it as quickly as possible because if you can get within 2km of a cloaked ship it automatically decloaks

Also you cant cloak while someone has a lock on you so again if you catch him as he warps in quickly enough you can stop him cloaking if you get a lock

Just to round off the list of limitations you cant recloak within 30 sec of decloaking, nor can you cloak if you have targetted something (even if it doesnt target you back) or if you have modules running
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #34 on: February 03, 2006, 10:46:46 AM

It was the tech2 variant of the Blackbird, which can use the covert ops cloak according to its description. I forget the exact name.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Need an inty pilot.  
Jump to: