Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:20:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Guild Wars: Factions weekend starts in about an hour. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guild Wars: Factions weekend starts in about an hour.  (Read 19076 times)
pxib
Terracotta Army

on: January 19, 2006, 11:10:08 PM

All information available here.

Free to everyone, whether you own the game or not. The expansion won't actually be out for a few months.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 12:35:00 AM

Servers are quite laggy and the Assassin so far is pretty boring.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:33:19 AM

If zee assassin is boring, I weep. That's the last nail in the coffin for the game. I'll try it out tomorrow or tonight I guess.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 10:23:05 AM

I might log in, even though I know what is going to happen.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 11:10:09 AM

I wouldn't call the Assassin boring.  It's a nice melee alternative for those who don't like Warriors.

Remember Melee Rangers?  Basically built around lots of quick hits and mobility?  That's what Assassins are, but because they have all the tools necessary for that in one class, they have more flexibility than a melee Ranger (Rangers were built to be a ranged class, Assassins were built from the ground up with the idea of mobility and critical attacks).

Lots of combos/chains, seemingly.  The one I'm trying has a Lead Attack, which can be followed with an Off-Hand attack, which can be followed with a Dual Attack, which can be followed with an Elite Off-Hand attack.  Each one of those has the provision in its description, "Must be used after a X attack", so building a really powerful chain of attacks should be fun once more skills are available.  Though the chain it gives the PvP characters from the start seems pretty damn good.

Shadow Step seems like an interesting ability.  It's a speed boost for X seconds, and at the end of it you are teleported back to where you were when you turned it on.  There's an Elite version that's a maintained enchantment, so you could lead a fake charge into a group of enemies and, when things start going south, poof back to safety.  Could be fun to use.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 11:38:33 AM

Shadow Step seems like an interesting ability.  It's a speed boost for X seconds, and at the end of it you are teleported back to where you were when you turned it on.  There's an Elite version that's a maintained enchantment, so you could lead a fake charge into a group of enemies and, when things start going south, poof back to safety.  Could be fun to use.

Wow, I like that. I might have to check this out.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 01:02:34 PM

New pony, same trail?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 02:22:59 PM

Dead horse.

schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 02:29:07 PM

>Jesus gets leprosy.

>You repair the broken wagon wheel.

>Jesus dies.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 03:07:11 PM

"Boring" was perhaps not the best choice of word -- one dimensional is probably a better fit -- though I'll explain why I picked it in a bit. As Llava said the prebuilt Assassin is all about the chain.

(Your last PvP template skill is Resurrection Signet)

As you can see half your skill bar is filled with your combo attacks. Your other three skills are there to complement the "combo". Shadow Refuge helps you survive the onslaught of attacks when the other team sees you Shadow Stepping towards their healer or whoever. Shadow Step allows you to quickly get into battle to do your combo and then back out or vice versa (e.g. if you need to wait for Black Mantis thrust to recharge) or to chase down a runner. And Mirrored Stance is there to allow Black Mantis Thrust to Cripple which lets Jungle Strike do more damage.

The reason why I said the Assassin was boring is that to do the combo all you do is 1 2 3 4 in sequence every time. There's no special timing involved, no decision making involved it's always just 1 2 3 4.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 03:11:29 PM

The new character generator is crap.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 06:14:34 PM

Woah...shame they nerfed mesmer fragility, although I could still see an assassin/mesmer with frag + self generated combos work out with this...

Rumors of War
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 04:55:02 PM

Considering the one thing GW does better then anyone is skills I'm betting that assassin gains a ton more depth if you have access to all their abilities.

Rt (not even sure what it stands for) is a pretty neat addition as well, I didn't play much but if a team's RT could get a bunch of spirits out and nobody bothered to aoe pwn them the fight usually was swung hardcore.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 06:17:39 PM

Rt (not even sure what it stands for) is a pretty neat addition as well, I didn't play much but if a team's RT could get a bunch of spirits out and nobody bothered to aoe pwn them the fight usually was swung hardcore.
Ritualist. Their problem of course is that their effectiveness is so tied to their spirts that if you kill the spirts or even just move out of the range of them the Ritualist is gimped.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 08:22:22 PM

Ritualist seems like a decent  alternative to a Monk.  Which is sorely needed.

Not as flat out healerific as a Monk, but not completely worthless on that front.  Could probably work well as a complement to a Protection Monk.  That's just at a very cursory glance  though.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 11:40:30 AM

This wasn't a bad event, although be the end of it, R/A were a plague in the random arena. Wasn't impressed with Rt, the elementalist and monk stuff was weak.  The spirit stuff was neat but it lacks the focus-fire that is needed to kill and it makes you a big AOE target like wards.  Not to mention the spirits that kill themselves in a few seconds needs to be thought out better.  The assassin's teleport will make for an interesting new dynamic for the game.

"Me am play gods"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Guild Wars: Factions weekend starts in about an hour.  
Jump to: