Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Guild Wars Expansion: Factions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guild Wars Expansion: Factions  (Read 29948 times)
schild
Administrator

on: January 10, 2006, 08:41:59 AM

Quote from: Press Release
NCsoft, ArenaNet Announce Guild Wars: Factions

Free Player-versus-Player Event to Provide Sneak Peek for Players All Over the World

Bellevue, Wash., Jan. 10, 2006 — NCsoft®, the world's leading developer and publisher of online computer games, announces Guild Wars®: Factions™, the next chapter in the critically acclaimed Guild Wars franchise from ArenaNet® studios. The Factions campaign will release in the second quarter of 2006. It offers players an incredible gameplay experience with many new choices, including new regions, professions, skills, missions, and monsters, along with expanded options for both Cooperative and Player-versus-Player (PvP) play, and enhanced features for guilds.

Players will get their first chance to experience the new campaign when ArenaNet opens its servers to everyone for the Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-for-All PvP Weekend. This worldwide event—scheduled for January 20 through 22—is open to both existing Guild Wars players and to those who do not have a Guild Wars account. ArenaNet is distributing free access keys to the event at http://www.guildwars.com.

The event will enable players to experience two new professions being introduced in the campaign, the Assassin and the Ritualist. Participants will also be able to try out a number of the skills added to Guild Wars: Factions, including some of the deadly skills of the Assassin and the arcane spells of the spiritual Ritualist. They will also be able to get familiar with the new PvP continent, Battle Isles. Battle Isles will introduce players to new PvP experiences, new and expanded arenas, new quests, and a new explorable area as well.

Another feature available during the Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-for-All PvP Weekend is Observer Mode, where players who aren't participating in a battle can view the proceedings and check out the strategies and tactics used by top-ranked guilds as they fight for supremacy.

"We're excited to be offering this free preview of Guild Wars: Factions to players throughout the world," said Patrick Wyatt, co-founder of ArenaNet. "Factions is a huge step in the continued evolution of the game, and I think gamers are really going to be excited about the new features they're going to see!"

In September of 2005, Guild Wars surpassed more than one million units sold in North America and Europe, a milestone reached in less than five months. Guild Wars is a competitive online roleplaying game that rewards player skill more than time played. Players explore a rich fantasy game world, acquire skills, build personalized characters and compete in head-to-head guild battles with players from around the world.

The spiritual ritualist. I can't say I like that. But there it is. Expansion.

[EDIT - Shockeye] Updated quote for actual press release.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 12:59:33 PM

Off topic:  I like the SWG by-line.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 01:11:23 PM

Hunh.

Well, I appreciate the event.  I'll definitely check that out.  I don't see myself picking up the expansion itself, though.  Not anytime soon, at least.  It just got a bit old for me. Maybe new classes will fix that, but I'd be surprised.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 01:13:27 PM

It's hard to tell if this will address the core issues of the game.  A.net is pretty opaque.

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 02:12:00 PM

A.Net turned out to be too much like Blizzard North. God help me if Flagship turns out the same way. Neither of these new splinter companies have the track record to be arrogant shitheads the way Blizzard does. But hey, if that's how they want to roll, whatever.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 09:02:39 AM

Is there a "How to make hawt CG chicks" manual all companies NC Soft publishes have to read? The female art of all of NC Soft's games is fucking awesome.

Sorry for the offtopic, it's been on my mind for months :)

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 10:18:59 AM

Quote from: Press Release
It offers players an incredible gameplay experience with many new choices, including new regions, professions, skills, missions, and monsters, along with expanded options for both Cooperative and Player-versus-Player (PvP) play, and enhanced features for guilds.

For the most part it sounds lame. Give us more casual PvP crap kthnx.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 06:52:39 PM

Is there a "How to make hawt CG chicks" manual all companies NC Soft publishes have to read? The female art of all of NC Soft's games is fucking awesome.

A goodly porttion of GW's art staff is female, and women know how to make women look hawt better than guys do. This is also, likely, why the guys are all such rockstar prettyboys.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 08:22:08 PM

The event will enable players to experience two new professions being introduced in the campaign, the Assassin and the Ritualist. Participants will also be able to try out a number of the skills added to Guild Wars: Factions, including some of the deadly skills of the Assassin and the arcane spells of the spiritual Ritualist. They will also be able to get familiar with the new PvP continent, Battle Isles. Battle Isles will introduce players to new PvP experiences, new and expanded arenas, new quests, and a new explorable area as well.
After thinking about this, I am optimistic.  This has to be pretty badass.  No way the market droids would let this happen if it had any chance of killing the excitement for the expansion.  It sounds like battlegrounds and interesting battlegrounds plus balanced pvp would be baby robot jesus.

"Me am play gods"
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 04:54:10 AM

A goodly porttion of GW's art staff is female, and women know how to make women look hawt better than guys do. This is also, likely, why the guys are all such rockstar prettyboys.

How about the staff of Net Devil (you've prolly seen the AA chick), or the staff of NC Soft Korea (dark elves, light elves, humans - tons of HQ art from Lineage 2 around), or the staff of NC Soft Austin (while the tabula rasa babe isn't THAT smokin', she's pretty good)...  :-D

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 02:54:24 AM

Battlegrounds + Balenced Classes = A lot better than WoW

I still don't see myself buying the expansion though, but who knows.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 01:11:48 PM

You are just pouting that you couldn't get your Illisionary Weapon Mesmer to work worth a damn.

"Me am play gods"
Strazos

Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 04:04:04 PM

No, it worked fine, except that it was too easy to run from. It also didn't bypass reactive damage shields like it should have (because I wasn't actually physically hitting the person).

I always seemed to be able to get a person down to critical health, but then they would get healed or something.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Llava
Contributor

Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 10:03:11 AM

No, it worked fine, except that it was too easy to run from. It also didn't bypass reactive damage shields like it should have (because I wasn't actually physically hitting the person).

I always seemed to be able to get a person down to critical health, but then they would get healed or something.

Imaginary Burden to handle the runners, or Ethereal Burden if you put some points in Inspiration.
Take Warrior as your secondary and, when IW is up, always use Flurry. Doubles your attack speed and halves your attack damage, but because you're using IW your attack damage doesn't matter.

And don't forget Distortion to survive going toe-to-toe with real fighters.

Not sure what you mean about it not bypassing reactive damage shields. I never had a problem with that. If I swung, they took damage.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 11:03:44 AM

I believe he's referring to things like Reversal of Fortune, Spirit of Protection, and Lifebond... in which case, yeah, they'll reduce or eliminate Illusionary Weaponry damage from time to time. That said they work on -all- direct damage, so it's not like you're being singled out. If IW worked through those then there'd be little reason to play a regular warrior at all.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 01:02:11 PM

Well yeah.  The ability is already pretty powerful, it'd be crazy if there was just nothing you could do to mitigate the damage. Would be pretty shitty for a single power to completely bypass the entire Monk Protection line.  It already goes through armor, evades, dodges, and blocks, and allows you use deal damage completely independent of your melee ability/the quality of your weapon.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 06:33:57 AM

It's pretty easy to strip off the IW enchantment, though.  That's always the trouble I had when I played an IW character.  It'll be interesting to see how IW combines with an Assassin primary/secondary for the teleports, though.  Especially if Assassin gets an attack speed increase skill.

Over and out.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 09:25:38 AM

I got this magazine in the mail yesterday, and what I suppose is the previous one too.  Not sure why I never see the magazines I actually try to subscribe to, but this leaps unbidden into my mail.  I hate the USPS.  I think CGW must be some sort of terrible shill, since this is the first time I recall seeing a positive comment about Auto Assault.

As for GuildWars, they need to make the game less shitty, not add more shit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 12:41:40 PM

Welp.. I was on this morning looking at the Battle Isles (which are up without the new campaign or new classes), and there's not much 'there' there. All of the PvP arenas have been grouped in that location, other than the 10 and 15 arenas. Those two arenas have also been added to the arena rotation in Competition and Teams play, as has an Old Ascalon themed arena with a capturable lightning obelisk.

There's a "training" area north of the Great Temple of Balthazar in which you can experiment with the various conditions, and it has some interesting information about spell effect ranges (What exactly "nearby" and "in the area" mean) and the range/effectiveness of the various bows. From there you can access a some "challenge arenas" where you fight NPC teams... and, having succeeded against them, access to an arena where you fight those NPC teams in increasing numbers (who seem to be uniquely vulnerable to trapper groups, already using them to farm faction -- yes, the NPCs there are worth faction.)

I'm not disappointed, but I'm not impressed.

That said, the new Character Creation screen is pretty, and the intro music gives me chills. Ritualist and Assassin arrive at midnight tonight... as does the new campaign (apparently separate from the original campaign... you can start PvE characters for either.)

Strazos

Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 07:09:21 AM

Imaginary Burden to handle the runners, or Ethereal Burden if you put some points in Inspiration.
Take Warrior as your secondary and, when IW is up, always use Flurry. Doubles your attack speed and halves your attack damage, but because you're using IW your attack damage doesn't matter.

Not sure what you mean about it not bypassing reactive damage shields. I never had a problem with that. If I swung, they took damage.

Heh, I was already using all that. My main weakness was when a high-damage caster would focus on me...I would go down pretty quickly.

I would sometimes switch things up a little and add some interupts, but last time I was playing everyone was playing with ultra-fast casters who were Impossible to interrupt. It was annoying.

Also, I was refering more to the Monk spells that would damage people who did melee damage in their vicinity, etc...that shit was annoying. Adding Flurry in would almost make me kill myself before I realized what was going on.

Fear the Backstab!
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #20 on: January 20, 2006, 07:45:25 AM

The new campaign is active? Because I cannot access it. I can only run around with a PvP levelled char.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Llava
Contributor

Reply #21 on: January 20, 2006, 10:21:29 AM

Heh, I was already using all that. My main weakness was when a high-damage caster would focus on me...I would go down pretty quickly.

I would sometimes switch things up a little and add some interupts, but last time I was playing everyone was playing with ultra-fast casters who were Impossible to interrupt. It was annoying.

Also, I was refering more to the Monk spells that would damage people who did melee damage in their vicinity, etc...that shit was annoying. Adding Flurry in would almost make me kill myself before I realized what was going on.

Yup, that's the thing.  It's rock-paper-scissors.  If you're built to take down warriors, casters are probably going to be able to take you out.  If you're built to take out casters, warriors are probably trouble.

There are a bunch of ways around Smite Monks, but it's been so long I can't remember them.  Except Enchantment stripping... that would do the trick.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Guild Wars Expansion: Factions  
Jump to: