Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:42:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Heterosexual males and AIDS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heterosexual males and AIDS  (Read 18687 times)
Snowspinner
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: March 21, 2004, 09:37:58 AM

Quote from: Shub
Quote from: Mediocre
c) trying to say gays are victims -- they usually claim this is to serve the "gay agenda", whatever the fuck that is.
The gay agenda includes, but is not limited to:

1. Gay marriage
2. "Protected class" status

Or have you forgotten http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=37077">this and the attending hoo-hah?

Based on that article, actually, it seems like you should be referring ot the "gay" agenda. Because apparently "gay" needs to be put in quotes, as though "gay" people are not really "gay."

Though how that's a part of the "gay" agenda considering that Newsom is "straight" I'm not sure.

I will bellow like the thunder drum, invoke the storm of war
A twisting pillar spun of dust and blood up from the prairie floor
I will sweep the foe before me like a gale out on the snow
And the wind will long recount the story, reverence and glory, when I go
Mediocre

Email
Reply #36 on: March 21, 2004, 10:03:35 AM

Snowspinner, AFAIK, the idea there is that the word gay used to be a perfectly nice word to describe happy and good feelings until those "godless sodomites" took it over.

I'm not that much of a leftie by any means, but I can't help but notice how the right-wing media always awkwardly blunders its way through trying to shape the language of debate.  All over WND you can see "gay" in quotes, as if to remind us that homosexuality is not happy, and on Fox News, you can hear them say that "And breaking news, we've now learned that the bomb in Turkey that killed 118 people was, indeed, a homocide bombing."

Back to the original topic, though, I don't know if this thread heading anywhere productive.  Is there a legitimate point here about current events that we're supposed to be debating?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 24, 2004, 11:46:28 PM

Who gives a shit?

If you are gay and promiscuous, or a needle-sharer, you have a better chance of getting AIDS than a straight non-needle sharer. And?

Maybe 95% of the people who get AIDS are not straight needle-sharing males. OK. I'd rather not be part of that other 5%.

This was news in 1992 or so.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
kuro

Email
Reply #38 on: March 25, 2004, 11:52:39 PM

It's certainly true that the media tends to over estimate the risk of HIV infection.

It's hard to quantify transmission rates precisely.  A U.S. study of couples where one partner in monogomous relationships has HIV showed male to female transmission to be about 1 in 1000 each time they had sex and female to male transmission to be about 1 in 8000 each time they had sex( Padian ).  Note that this study doesn't really take into account condom usage very well. There have been a number of studies looking at effectiveness of condoms in preventing HIV transmission in heterosexuals and estimates are that they reduce transmission by around 85 percent.

To try to put these numbers into perspective somewhat. The rate of HIV transmission from a needle stick of an HIV infected needle is around 1 in 400.

It's interesting that transmission rates in Africa are much higher than in the U.S.  Female to male transmission were estimated as  1 in 900 each time they have sex (Gray).  The difference in infection rate is believed to be due to higher viral loads (because HIV isn't treated), maybe lack of circumcision, increased rates of other STDs that increase HIV infections, etc.

That said, to advocate that heterosexual males don't have to worry about HIV in the U.S. and shouldn't wear condoms is idiotic.  HIV is a horrid disease and if you end up being the unlucky heterosexual guy that gets HIV or gets and spreads HIV, the fact that transmission rates are low isn't going to give you or your partners much comfort.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Heterosexual males and AIDS  
Jump to: