Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:36:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Character Wipe is Likely 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Character Wipe is Likely  (Read 11194 times)
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

on: December 06, 2005, 09:16:46 PM

Unfortunately it looks like the changes we made to our database are likely to require us to perform a character wipe. We don’t know for certain yet, but at this point it looks very likely. We will post tomorrow morning with more details.

If we need to perform the wipe, we’ll be giving out a lot more XP to people during the event on Thursday…probably more than the 200-300 we originally planned.

Our apologies for posting this late at night, but we wanted to tell you as soon as possible rather than wait until the morning. We’ll post again on Wednesday once we have more details on the wipe if it is necessary.

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, but I had to drive to the office in order to update the launcher.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 09:21:31 PM

If we need to perform the wipe, we’ll be giving out a lot more XP to people during the event on Thursday…probably more than the 200-300 we originally planned.

Has anyone over there suggested double/tripling/quadrupling the XP gain rate globally for, say, a week?  Rather than giving big XP awards to the lucky few that you find on Thursday and leaving everyone else to grind Irestone Inlet another umpteen times?  Pretty please?   Heartbreak

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Calandryll
Developers

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 09:41:57 PM

Has anyone over there suggested double/tripling/quadrupling the XP gain rate globally for, say, a week?  Rather than giving big XP awards to the lucky few that you find on Thursday and leaving everyone else to grind Irestone Inlet another umpteen times?  Pretty please?   Heartbreak
I can bring that up in our morning meeting tomorrow.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 11:07:07 PM

Yay!    :mrgreen:

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 01:38:34 AM

If there's quadruple exp for a week, DDO may get an install and Mirage will just have to wait on MtGO. I'd like to see some of the mid level stuff.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 06:17:17 AM

Why do you even bother with beta tests, schild.  You never actually play them and if you do, it's like once or twice and POOF!  you're gone.  You are a console kiddie, admit it!   tongue

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 06:35:01 AM

Ouch, except for the console bit that could be me :(

I blame my girlfriend!

But I'd like to see something beyond friggin kobolds and spiders and metal dogs and slimes. Even though anything tougher would probably slime me.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 06:46:15 AM

Get past level 1 and maybe you'll see those things.  Or a sadder note, though what could be sadder you ask... I think they are wiping characters right now and I've not had time to hide my fancy shmancy armour X gave me or the cool reptile baseball bat I found the other day.

Oh woe is me.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 06:58:08 AM

Played briefly last night and a little more this morning to see how things we going.  Melee combat is definiately slower but doesn't feel too slow thus far.  I was still able to circle strafe a CR10 clay golem to death but il had to run away and heal up 2 or 3 times, then promptly left that dungeon. ;)

The new Postern Gate area seems rather...pointless.  I went through it, found like 6 mini encounters with wolves, scorpions and spiders for ~13 exp each, and that was about it.  Not sure what would be needed to "complete" this area.

I checked a couple of bugged quests this morning, and they are still bugged. 

Lair of Summoning and Chamber of Insanity can be completed, but the npc doesn't acknowledge you did it.

In Mira's Sleepless Nights in the first room you can see the mob names hovering in yellow before you actually get near the chest to spring the spawn.

Return to Delera's tomb doesn't seem to advance right after you talk to Delera's ghost; she just says "the girl was too be spared!" and is says that parts completed but nothing adavances in the plotline.

Missle weapons are still not transferring their abilitys to their arrows (i.e. crossbow of shock doesnt' shock)

The house teleports aren't working anymore.

Not liking the new pawnshops layout and splits.  Plus noticed the highest end gear now wants minimum level 11....

The Belly Up tavern in house K was giving a mini map named the Ever Fill Flagon, and makring me as such on the house map though i do like the interior layout a lot more.

And assuming they are now wiping, I wont get to use my cool Helm of Underwater Action of Power III i just bought smiley

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 09:24:15 AM

Played for enough time last night to be pleased that the game was stable -- smooth download, smooth update, no connection/login problem.

However, for everything that was added or changed, it felt like something that had been working was now broken. I have a list a home and will start posting once the final 3.5 build (post-character wipe) is live.

Combat was much better -- slower without being too slow.
Increased spell casting speed was amazing -- made spellcasting on-par with combat where appropriate (e.g. my cleric can cast Cure Light Wounds with amazing speed, but Summon Monster 1 is slower than before -- which it should be since 3.5 rules require full round action for Summon Monster as opposed to standard action for CLW. Spellcasters in my group were able to do more.

Being able to sell stuff in the starting harbor areas (i.e. nothing was marked as too expensive) was great.

Changes to spell points were not too terrible (went from 240 to 210 I think).

But so many other things have been broken I don't know where to begin. Again, will post on the official forums (probably on Friday).

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 09:33:15 AM

Did you leave Bat Country, Sobelius?  I no longer see you in the guild member box.  Or is the box buggy?

Xilren's Twin

Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 10:00:54 AM

Did you leave Bat Country, Sobelius?  I no longer see you in the guild member box.  Or is the box buggy?

Guild tab has always been buggy, and I think it still is...

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 10:05:20 AM

For reference, the only persons I see in guild membership are Helga and Xilren and myself. And all of us are -always- on.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 10:26:36 AM

Yes, we are very committed.  I bet we're in there right now even though the server is down. 

WE SHALL SURVIVE THE WIPE!

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 10:32:23 AM

Signe..

We need the power of TEN grinches, plus TWO!

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 10:45:14 AM

Yes -- before the patch I moved my main character out. Then tried to create a new guild under 3.5 and the system said I was already in a guild. Yet there is no name for this guild that I am now in....

Will bring in another character into BC after character wipe -- looking to be on tonight and tomorrow.

Will post new character names as well.

I thought I saw Haemish running around last night and sent a tell to Haemish but it turned out the character was named "Hamish" -- can't recall if H-man said he was using that name or some other...oh well...at least the person who responded to my comment was cool about it...

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 11:02:00 AM

I saw him too, and yes, it's Hamish there.  If the server comes up soon-ish, maybe he'll get his Haemish name... or maybe PopTart can save it for him.  I'll do it if someone tells me to.  And he ran right by me... like an oblivious short fat running man.  Then he called me a halfling.  I said, "I'M NOT A HAFLING!".  Then he said I was STUBBY.  Stubby!  The cheek! 

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 12:09:13 PM

It's ok, I even call my wife stubby. It's a term of endearment.  evil

Sobelius, were you named Jhazira? I saw the tell (though you messed up and used /say) and responded then ran out again. It was late and I was tired. Last night was one of those nights I shouldn't have gotten on.

Calandryll
Developers

Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 01:35:23 PM

Reposted from the beta boards and the launcher:

Our maintenance on Orien continues. We expect to have it back up sometime this evening. We will post an update once we have a more accurate ETA. We have a potential fix currently in testing to address the character issues from last night. If this fix works, a character wipe is unlikely.

Thank you for your patience. We will keep you updated as new information becomes available.
Fenom
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 01:46:08 PM

<cries>   *starts the Wipe Movement ... :)

This is my Reality.  If you don't like it, let's go back to my place and do naughty things.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 01:48:04 PM

Quiet you!  I like my level 3 barbarian.   :-(

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 06:02:18 PM

It's ok, I even call my wife stubby. It's a term of endearment.  evil

Sobelius, were you named Jhazira? I saw the tell (though you messed up and used /say) and responded then ran out again. It was late and I was tired. Last night was one of those nights I shouldn't have gotten on.

lol He's such a bastard. I am not stubby. I am short. There is a difference. And look, sporkling, I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

And Hamish suits you. Wow, I almost spelled suits soots. :(

schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 06:19:08 PM

And Hamish suits you. Wow, I almost spelled suits soots. :(

But you did spell "Haemish" hamish.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 06:48:41 PM

Because his character name is Hamish.

schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 06:50:45 PM

I bet he's hamish.

Edit: Lol. Pick your definition from the urban dictionary:

Hamish

The essence of cool

That guy over there wearing a perfectly tailored suit is so Hamish.

9. hamish

The owner of a beautiful black coat.

Wow, look at that hamish, such a nice coat!
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 06:51:53 PM

[Insert witty comment that I am incapable of making here]

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 09:35:14 PM

Hamish

The essence of ham. 

Like ham.

All about ham.

Looking for ham.

That guy over there smells hamish. 

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 09:40:11 PM

Speaking of looking for ham, anyone else experiencing horrible lag?  I had to log out because I could no longer move under its oppressive weight.

Fenom
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 10:15:12 PM

Yeah I was too and had to log as well as it was actually bombing out my cable modem.

This is my Reality.  If you don't like it, let's go back to my place and do naughty things.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 10:32:00 PM

Me three.

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 08, 2005, 12:02:39 AM

It only stuck inside the taverns for me. Lag was fine once I got into a dungeon, even in a party.. though I did get kicked out when I tried to tab to windowed mode.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #31 on: December 08, 2005, 06:09:21 AM

I also get problems when I try to tab into windowed, but I get no problems if I click on windowed mode in the options menu in game.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #32 on: December 08, 2005, 09:52:13 AM

I bet he's hamish.

Edit: Lol. Pick your definition from the urban dictionary:

Hamish

The essence of cool

That guy over there wearing a perfectly tailored suit is so Hamish.

9. hamish

The owner of a beautiful black coat.

Wow, look at that hamish, such a nice coat!

Thankfully, I'm both of those.

And full of ham. As in pork. As in chauvinist pig. Snort snort.

The lag hit me only out in the open of the harbor.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Character Wipe is Likely  
Jump to: