Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:32:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Primaries/secondaries 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Primaries/secondaries  (Read 5062 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

on: November 25, 2005, 06:26:53 PM

How do the powersets compare? 

If I have a controller with FF secondary, does it work as well as a defender with a FF primary?  Or are primary powers more powerful somehow?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 10:06:26 PM

The Controller secondaries are supposedly roughly 80% the effectiveness as the Defender primaries.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 03:44:18 AM

The  effectiveness of a power is only indirectly linked to being a primary/secondary.

All powers have a base 'value', Deflection shield has the same base defence no matter which list it appears on.

*However* all ATs have modifiers for all types of powers.

eg.

Defenders have  +Heal/Buff, -Damage.
Blasters have +Damage, -Heal/Buff
Masterminds have -almost everything

It doesn't matter whether the power is in your primary or secondary as such, but secondaries will, in general, contain more things you have a penalty to.

Most bonuses and penalties are in the region of 10 to 20%.

AT bonuses are multiplied on *before* the enhancement/insp/buff effects, meaning they are multiplicative with those other effects. A basic formulation looks something like....

(Base Power Damage * (1+AT bonus)) *  (1 +(Enhancement modifiers + Buff modifiers + Insp Modifiers)

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 08:23:48 AM

Thank you.  That is exactly the information I was looking for.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 11:09:10 PM

How do the powersets compare? 

If I have a controller with FF secondary, does it work as well as a defender with a FF primary?  Or are primary powers more powerful somehow?

The defensive and/or acc debuff component of the powers is going to be a little weaker as a controller.

However, I think knockback is considered a crowd-control element, and will be stronger with a controller.

Not that anybody uses force field to knock stuff back, of course.

--GF
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 06:57:13 AM

Since ragdoll was introduced, the distance knocked back has dropped, but the time a mob is knocked down has increased.

Knockdown/back is now much more useful as a result.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 01:02:02 PM

On my merc/ff mastermind, I use ff for knockback all the time.  Gets those pesky mobs off of me.

ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 08:57:34 AM

I like killing things right on the edge of rooftops. That way when they collapse, they'll slowly slide off the edge, plummet 5 stories, and bounce! It makes me giggle in a very villainous way.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 01:59:24 PM

On my merc/ff mastermind, I use ff for knockback all the time.  Gets those pesky mobs off of me.

Personal Bubble + Mercs(well any, but I have the same build) = The cheese.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 09:14:07 AM

I like killing things right on the edge of rooftops. That way when they collapse, they'll slowly slide off the edge, plummet 5 stories, and bounce! It makes me giggle in a very villainous way.
Heh. Many people share that sentiment, but somebody did it one better.

A few Longbow managed to spawn on a walkway at the edge of Fort Cerebus in the newbie zone, so a high-end grav dominator who was back there for a cape mission or something used Lift on one, and got _just enough_ horizontal movement from the power to carry the Longbow over the edge. So he falls, down, down, down, to the shoreline, bounces on the top of a cliff, and caroms down the rocks, right into a group of Infected. (the n00blers of Darwin's Landing who think drinking sewer water will give them powers but just become Lost All My Hair And Teeth Man) Now, nobody likes Longbow. So one of them pulls a shotgun and takes off the guy's last sliver of health.

Moments like this are why I slot knockback in my stone tank.

--GF
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 10:43:08 AM

The other day, my last day in CoH, I was on my Energy/Energy blaster.  I got a Vahzilok mission in a sewer.  In one room, there were those metal catwalks with the chain railings all around the room... I shot one, which knocked him up and back on to the railing.  I hit him again, which did knockdown, rather than knockback... at which point the zombie fell down, off the chain... except for his foot got caught on the chain.  He hung there, upside down, by his foot, kinda wiggling, until I shot him again, and he died and fell loose.  I laughed for quite some time.

I later had a similar thing happen, with a clockwork in a warehouse mission.  He hopped up on a railing, I knocked him down, and he fell off the railing and got caught by the foot.  He wiggled around there, caught, for several seconds, then finally got loose and fell onto a box, rolled off and onto the floor.  he finally stood up again before I got off a final shot... but he was out of commision for quite a while.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Cuular
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 03:03:41 PM

I wonder what happens with the knockback/down ragdoll stuff if you have a group and some people have it turned on, and some have it turned off in the options?  Or have they made it on "all" the time now?

Will people with the effect turned off see the object fall normally, and be able to engage it, while the person with ragdoll turned on see it stuck on the railing/catwalk and engage it there?

I haven't logged into CoH in about 2 months, so I haven't taken a look at the options screens in a while.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 08:44:27 PM

I would imagine the object stays in the same place on both screens, just the one with ragdoll animation activated sees that the target has caught their hand on a rail while the other just sees a prone target seemingly stuck in midair.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Miscreant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 11:33:34 PM

The ragdoll's done server side, so everybody sees the same thing.  Crazy, I know. smiley

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 02:39:10 AM

In related news, the devs have just discovered that ragdoll is 'bugged' and that mobs stay knocked down to long.

Sketchy reports from the test server indicate that npcs are now jumping back up again the instant they hit the deck.

A wailing and gnashing of teeth is now in progress.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 05:05:48 AM

In related news, the devs have just discovered that ragdoll is 'bugged' and that mobs stay knocked down to long.

Sketchy reports from the test server indicate that npcs are now jumping back up again the instant they hit the deck.

A wailing and gnashing of teeth is now in progress.
Working as intended.

Edit: Here's Positron's reply:

When ragdoll went in during the CoV beta, it was immediately noticed that knockbacks were "longer" and that characters could lock down a single foe with KB powers. A bug was created for this, and it was recently fixed.

The bad part about this was that we had already two and a half months of users playing with the "new" ragdoll knockdown, and thus an expected form of gameplay.

Now, I really wanted this bug to be fixed back in CoV beta, where it could be fully tested and all the kinks worked out, giving the final product a knockback that was both cool looking and not overly powerful. The bug got fixed recently, and yes, it was missed in the patch notes.

Since this is a big disruption in gameplay, we are going to revert the knockdown back to the "bugged" code, and discuss with you all different solutions (or even if any solution to this is warranted).

This fix is in the next full build of CoX, which unfortunately is 2 patches away for you guys (we have a patch in QA right now, and going on training room soon, and then this will be fixed in the one after that).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 05:10:13 AM by Trippy »
Llava
Contributor

Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 09:15:10 AM

I could swear I remember one of the devs specifically mentioning the addition of ragdoll as a buff for knockback, because of the extended knockdown duration, on the CoV beta boards.

But since I can't remember the exact quote or who said it, I'm probably attributing player statements to a dev or something.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 09:59:07 AM

Wait, patches for both CoV and CoH are called CoX? Awesome.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 12:48:47 AM

Wait, patches for both CoV and CoH are called CoX? Awesome.

Heh, I missed that.  It started among the community, i think, hadn't seen a dev use the term until then.

So I guess that makes it official- it's okay to call them CoX now.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Primaries/secondaries  
Jump to: