Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Weird bugginess 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weird bugginess  (Read 15404 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: October 31, 2005, 02:48:14 PM

So I got the new computers up and running last week, and put this on both my wife's and my computer. I've also had the game running on the office computer.

I'm noticing a weird little connectivity issue at home. Both my wife and I have problems logging in our characters, or entering instance zones. For instance, I logged my rogue out in a tavern (Wayward Lobster) at work the last time I played (before the computer crash). On trying to log back in at home, I get to the character select screen, hit enter, and the loading screen comes up. Then it sits there. For 2-3 minutes at least, it just sits on "Entering the world" with the hourglass, then it finally dumps me to the desktop with a popup that says "Connection to the server has been lost." My wife created a new character (and she's done this at least 5 times with new characters) and was able to login to the Harbor. When she enters the Wave Crest, she gets the same loading screen for 3 minutes before being dumped to the desktop with the same message. She kept at it the other night, and after about 8 tries, finally got into the tavern. When she tries to enter the tavern's basement for missions, the same thing happens. She's gotten in after repeatedly hammering it, but it's frustrating. She likes the game as I do, and just wonder what's up? Anyone else have this?

The computers are almost identical in specs:
AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 735) 2800+ CPU
Gigabyte KV8M800 Motherboard
768 MB DDR400 RAM
SATA Hard drive (mine's 160 GB, hers is 80 GB)
ATI Radeon 9600 w/ 256 MB RAM
Onboard LAN (Realtek)
SB Live Value! (mine) and AC97 Onboard sound (hers)
DSL Connection through Bellsouth.net and a Compusa router
Windows XP SP2 with the latest updates

Nothing's overclocked. About the only software difference is she has AOL 9.0 on her machine and I don't. Any ideas? Cal, have you heard this one before?

Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 03:29:46 PM

So I got the new computers up and running last week, and put this on both my wife's and my computer. I've also had the game running on the office computer.

I'm noticing a weird little connectivity issue at home. Both my wife and I have problems logging in our characters, or entering instance zones. For instance, I logged my rogue out in a tavern (Wayward Lobster) at work the last time I played (before the computer crash). On trying to log back in at home, I get to the character select screen, hit enter, and the loading screen comes up. Then it sits there. For 2-3 minutes at least, it just sits on "Entering the world" with the hourglass, then it finally dumps me to the desktop with a popup that says "Connection to the server has been lost." My wife created a new character (and she's done this at least 5 times with new characters) and was able to login to the Harbor. When she enters the Wave Crest, she gets the same loading screen for 3 minutes before being dumped to the desktop with the same message. She kept at it the other night, and after about 8 tries, finally got into the tavern. When she tries to enter the tavern's basement for missions, the same thing happens. She's gotten in after repeatedly hammering it, but it's frustrating. She likes the game as I do, and just wonder what's up? Anyone else have this?

The computers are almost identical in specs:
AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 735) 2800+ CPU
Gigabyte KV8M800 Motherboard
768 MB DDR400 RAM
SATA Hard drive (mine's 160 GB, hers is 80 GB)
ATI Radeon 9600 w/ 256 MB RAM
Onboard LAN (Realtek)
SB Live Value! (mine) and AC97 Onboard sound (hers)
DSL Connection through Bellsouth.net and a Compusa router
Windows XP SP2 with the latest updates

Nothing's overclocked. About the only software difference is she has AOL 9.0 on her machine and I don't. Any ideas? Cal, have you heard this one before?
Reported this to QA. Not sure if it's a known issue or not, but I believe it is.

Does this happen on the work computer now too? Either way, can you give me the specs on that machine as well? Thanks!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 07:55:36 PM

It doesn't happen on the work computer. The specs on that one are:

Intel P3 1.8 Ghz
640 MB DDR RAM
Compaq (Unsure what type of motherboard)
2 IDE Hard Drives (20 GB main drive, 120 GB second drive)
ATI Radeon 9500 128 MB RAM
Onboard Sound
PCI Network Card
Work LAN uses a T1 connection with a SonicWall router
Windows XP SP1

I haven't had any issues with that particular machine. The ATI drivers on the work machine aren't the latest, the ones at home are.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 08:13:12 PM

Tonight on the home computer, I was able to login to the world. I had logged out on the work computer in the Waterworks sewer standing by Guard Tember. I ended up outside the Waterworks in the Harbor. I was able to play in the outside world just fine. But as soon as I attempted to enter an instance (Bonebiter's Warehouse), I got the same message.

My dndclient.log has this in it:

Code:
1.768: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 1.77 secs!
1.768: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 1.77 secs!
5.898: Waiting for initial connection to the chat server 206.16.13.99:2900...
7.063: CChatClient::OnInitialConnectionSequenceComplete. Now connected to chat server.
107403121.596: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 107403112.00 secs!
107403135.031: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 1.78 secs!
107403135.031: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 1.83 secs!
107403143.480: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 3.36 secs!
107403143.480: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 3.35 secs!
107403148.282: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 4.78 secs!
107403148.282: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 4.80 secs!
107403157.473: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 1.49 secs!
107403157.473: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 1.49 secs!
107403158.918: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 1.45 secs!
107403158.918: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 1.45 secs!
107403711.220: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 4.37 secs!
107403711.220: FixedQuantumComponentUpdate: skipped large quantum of 4.40 secs!

Does that mean anything?

Calandryll
Developers

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 09:57:43 PM

I'll have QA look at it. I'm out of the office tomorrow, but I will follow up with them on Wednesday. Thanks for the info.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 07:47:37 AM

Another addition to this that I might add. At home, the map notes disappear. I can't see any of the markers for quests, vendors, or NPC's on the big or small map. Not sure WTF that is.

I'm also getting issues when my wife tries EQ2 or I try Second Life. I can't connect to Second Life to get in the game, and trying to enter EQ2 beyond the boat tutorial sends me right back to the connection screen. I've tried port forwarding and using firewalls to open up ports to no avail.

However, I can connect with no issues or need to change anything to every other commercial MMOG.

Calandryll
Developers

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 02:35:19 PM

Still having the same issues?

If so, can I get you to post about them in the Connectivity Forum on the DDO beta forums? It'll be easier for me if I can give QA a link to a post and see if any other players are having the same problem. Thanks!

http://betaforums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 02:53:49 PM

Just posted a copy paste of most of the stuff in this thread into a new thread on that board.

Calandryll
Developers

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 03:04:42 PM

Great, thanks! I forwarded the link to our QA team. I will follow up with them again tomorrow.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 09:45:49 AM

My wife was able to get on to the game last night on her own beta account (but still on my computer) and played through the tutorial, and past a good number of the intro quests without trouble. I think she's playing it right now at home as I type this. The new patch MAY have fixed my problem. I'm going to test it tonight during peak times to see.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 09:50:23 AM

What's her name?  Mine are, again:

Signe Liv
Gunda
Helga
Rosie
Twee

Right now I'm a n00b paladin named Gunda.  I still have yet to try Sorcerer, Ranger or Cleric.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 09:55:59 AM by Signe »

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 10:06:46 AM

She's in right now as Maytharyia.

Calandryll
Developers

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 10:08:00 AM

My wife was able to get on to the game last night on her own beta account (but still on my computer) and played through the tutorial, and past a good number of the intro quests without trouble. I think she's playing it right now at home as I type this. The new patch MAY have fixed my problem. I'm going to test it tonight during peak times to see.
Let me know if your account is fixed. Thanks!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 05:36:09 PM

I am happy to say that whatever they did with this latest patch, it seems to have fixed my little red wagon. I was just able to login with my rogue character (Hamish), zone in and out of taverns, and even did an adventure without a problem. It was a bit laggy, but other than that, no problems.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 08:38:43 PM

Most stable I've seen it so far. Have been able to log in with no issues or hangs 3/3 times today even at 7:00pm and 10:30pm CST.

edit: Continued excellent server stability today (Nov 19th) each time I have tried to log in I've been able to and had no technical zoning or connectivity issues. Something seems to be fixed.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 08:56:16 PM by Sobelius »

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 07:39:06 AM

Has anyone found a work around for the sticky-less keybindings?  It's very tedious to have to re-do them every time I log in.  What's the directory called?  All my hotbars are empty when I log in, too.  I'M GOING INSANE!

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 11:55:54 AM

Has anyone found a work around for the sticky-less keybindings?  It's very tedious to have to re-do them every time I log in.  What's the directory called?  All my hotbars are empty when I log in, too.  I'M GOING INSANE!

Going?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 12:10:43 PM

Yeah, I'm not pleased about the forgetful key bindings either.  Though on balance it's less annoying than the repair bug was (then again, I only have one key I need to rebind each time).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 12:49:52 PM

I re-bind nearly everything but the fact that every time I log in, my hotbars are empty too makes me a little grumpy. 

And shuddup, you up there, with the smelly ashtray!  I'm not completely insane yet... I still have my lucid moments!

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 01:08:49 PM

Lucid! You got some 'splainin' to do!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 01:28:00 PM

I had to turn off my avatars after someone at work said, "What are those two boxes doing!"

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #21 on: December 02, 2005, 03:01:44 PM

I don't know what they were doing either.  I think they were just being happy.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 04, 2005, 11:52:27 AM

I re-bind nearly everything but the fact that every time I log in, my hotbars are empty too makes me a little grumpy. 

And shuddup, you up there, with the smelly ashtray!  I'm not completely insane yet... I still have my lucid moments!

HELGA!

Hey -- were you able to try the log-out-log-in with different character-log-in thing I mentioned? It's worked for me the one time all of my hotbars appeared empty and all over the place. The disappearing hotbar buttons happened after I had to force-quit the client because my screen went black from trying to switch from full-screen to windowed-mode. I had decided it was due to me logging in too quickly after force-quitting the game -- which is what gave me the idea to try logging in with another character to make sure its hotbars were not empty -- they weren't -- then loggin back in with the character whose hotbars had been messed up. Voila. Hotbars restored, though a few other UI elements were not in the place I left them.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: December 04, 2005, 12:20:12 PM

No, not yet because my UI, except for my keybindings, behaved themselves the last time I logged out.  If it happens again, however, I'll give it a go.  Thanks again for the tip!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #24 on: December 04, 2005, 03:33:46 PM

I just logged in to my Helga character and everything had assploded and was empty again so I did what you said and guess what?  It worked!

You are a star.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 02:14:05 PM

Today I logged in and finished the first part of the waterworks quest given by the harbourmaster.  I started the second bit, solo, and was pretty close to the end.  There seems to be quite a few mobs which can be killed but can't reach you.  Soloing is much easier with the nifty keen +1 plate X gave me, too.  Anyway, in the bit where there are bedraggled prisoners, to my great surprise and wonderment, I met a adventuring group.  Luckily, they had a space available so I teamed up with them... I wasn't sure if I had a choice.  I had killed nearly everything and they were venturing into an important part of the dungeon I had mostly finished. 

Anyway,  some of them were having problems... the quest wasn't updating.  My quest had reset itself when I joined, but it updated properly.  We did everything we could in the instance but it didn't give us the "finish" screen.   It was buggy so we decided to abandon and restart.  After doing so, it gave us the "finished" message but the guard only gave one of the group the writ and the rest of us got nothing.  We went to the harbour master, but only the one member received permission to go to the new area.  BAH!  I suppose I'll have to redo the quest, hopefully only the second bit.

The End.

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 09:08:22 PM

I am not sure why but I keep getting horrendous lag and keep going LD when I attempt to zone into specific houses. Jorasco and Deneith. <sp>

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #27 on: December 09, 2005, 10:07:22 AM

I just logged in and created a character. The moment I went to options, I lost all of my keybindings and when I put new ones back in, they refused to work. Not being able to move puts a hamper on the game.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #28 on: December 09, 2005, 11:13:48 AM

What's your name?  Is it Shockeye?  I hope it is.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #29 on: December 09, 2005, 11:37:59 AM

What's your name?  Is it Shockeye?  I hope it is.

It was until I deleted the character.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #30 on: December 09, 2005, 11:42:33 AM

Mr. Eye.. dun delete just yet pretty please. They took the servers down and we miss playing with you!

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #31 on: December 11, 2005, 07:22:32 PM

So, it's not weird bugginess for me.

I wanted to play some tonight but no matter what I try, the game won't load from the launcher.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #32 on: December 11, 2005, 08:45:01 PM

Mine keeps stealth running so I have to delete the process or it ignores me.  Once cleared, however, it starts right up.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 12, 2005, 05:47:23 AM

OK -- now I have a weird bugginess (no not buggeriness you filthy minded madcaps).

Running Win XP SP2, whenever I try to shut down my machine (using Start > Shut Down, then selecting Shut Down), my machine will not shut down until I kill the DDO launcher in the system tray.

At first I thought I'd gotten infected with some kind of adware or spyware. But when I noticed the correlation between shut down and the presence of the DDO launcher, I have started to wonder what on earth could be going on. I've never had an application prevent my machine from shutting down via the normal shut down process.

I was able to shut down by selecting Shut Down in the Task Manager, as well as by Selecting Log Off and then Shut Down. Very odd.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Weird bugginess  
Jump to: