Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:54:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  AGC '05  |  Topic: Day 1 - 3: Alcohol 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Day 1 - 3: Alcohol  (Read 90597 times)
Sachant
Developers

Wolfpack

Reply #105 on: November 05, 2005, 08:37:52 PM

As far as in-game events, having run them in a couple of games now, there most certainly have been complaints. The biggest being those people who felt left out because they missed the event. Or people who thought the event caused too much lag and ruined their plans for the night to camp some monsters. Or people who felt that the resources to run events were a waste and we should be spending them on fixing bugs or adding new content. Or those who felt there wasn't enough story in an event vs. those who don't care about story and just want more phat lewt. Nothing is ever black and white...there is always more than one opinion to almost any situation.

Exactly.  There were always people that complained about events or that they missed them or didn't get the good gear or were robbed after they got the gear etc etc etc.  And of course dead on about the rest.  Different people have different ideas about what level of interaction is good customer service to them.

Sachant
Bartle Test Killer  73% , Socializer  60%, Explorer  60%, Achiever  6%
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #106 on: November 05, 2005, 11:46:34 PM

Malagant the Righteous
Nation Leader, Church of the Reunification, Fear Server

I found this going through some files on one of my drives the other day.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #107 on: November 06, 2005, 12:29:28 AM

Never had a cool ( rolleyes) sig...

Had a lot of silly characters though....And an even sillier guild (they marketed their own tote bags and coffee mugs for crissakes!).

Judge Dredd on Chaos. Mostly.

[edit] Btw, did you join Hing when Corruption came out? That was just when I was calling it quits, but I remember those dudes being big board shittalkers. You weren't one of them, were you?  tongue
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 12:37:43 AM by Stray »
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #108 on: November 06, 2005, 01:13:44 AM

[edit] Btw, did you join Hing when Corruption came out? That was just when I was calling it quits, but I remember those dudes being big board shittalkers. You weren't one of them, were you?  tongue

I was with whatever Clan Havion was called before, then Clan Havion, then Relentless while moonlighting with the Pink Bunnies of Fear for a short time and finally joining Hing on Fear. I didn't have enough time to dedicate to pwning Malagant so I ended up quitting for awhile. After the first expansion came out I played with Hing a bit on Corruption but Corruption wasn't Fear and just wasn't fun. Mainly I blame Malagant for the lack of fun on Corruption. I ended up leaving Hing with a couple guys from the Fear/Relentless guys and started a small city but it just wasn't any fun anymore. The battles against the Church on Fear just weren't there and I had no interest in continuing on Corruption.

BTW - I just like to add that Ewle Ebonlore is a tard. Thank you.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #109 on: November 06, 2005, 01:32:46 AM

BTW - I just like to add that Ewle Ebonlore is a tard. Thank you.

Heh, luckily I never played Fear. Still funny though how much I hear about them.

Sadly, my tote bag/coffee mug guild was the Ebonlore of Chaos. So much so that Wolfpack themselves equipped and ranked everyone, then joined in and kicked us off  tongue. Point of pride and of shame.

[edit] More shamed of the tote bags though.

That, and the leader turned out to be a mangina....Probably like Ebonlore.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 01:41:18 AM by Stray »
Sachant
Developers

Wolfpack

Reply #110 on: November 06, 2005, 02:44:51 PM

Ewle was listed as one of the most hated figures in SB history.  Of course I think I made sure he/she was added to the list because I remember all the crying about them not to mention Ebonlore was notorious for breaking NDA.

Sachant
Bartle Test Killer  73% , Socializer  60%, Explorer  60%, Achiever  6%
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #111 on: November 07, 2005, 10:47:25 AM

As far as in-game events, having run them in a couple of games now, there most certainly have been complaints. The biggest being those people who felt left out because they missed the event. Or people who thought the event caused too much lag and ruined their plans for the night to camp some monsters. Or people who felt that the resources to run events were a waste and we should be spending them on fixing bugs or adding new content. Or those who felt there wasn't enough story in an event vs. those who don't care about story and just want more phat lewt. Nothing is ever black and white...there is always more than one opinion to almost any situation.

Exactly.  There were always people that complained about events or that they missed them or didn't get the good gear or were robbed after they got the gear etc etc etc.  And of course dead on about the rest.  Different people have different ideas about what level of interaction is good customer service to them.

Edit:

I should say that although I know games implement Customer Service, Quality Control and so forth, I suppose I just would like to know why it seems like it is the most low budgeted aspect of the game when it is needs to be focused on as one of the most important. These are not all sustainable communities. Sorry to point that fact out.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 11:00:04 AM by SuperPopTart »

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #112 on: November 09, 2005, 11:27:00 AM

A 500-person community, a 2000-person community can have a lot more meaningful interaction with a developer than a 3.5 million, or even a 200,000 person community. What's the best bet for real interaction?

I have not read pages 2-4 as I write this.  We know all about message boards and the MOG.  It's out there and the hardcore expect message boards plus trappings.  I propose the community feedback be inlined.  You can't stop the community boards from cropping up unbidden, but you can provide a mechanism within the game to gather what is needed and at least mitigate the perceived.  I do mean within the game, too, since I am thinking about integrating it into the world design even if it is something retarded like bulletin boards.  I am too tired to come up with a less-half-ass idea, sorry, but if you provide [the illusion of] feedback within the game you will lessen the need for players to wade into a Vault board.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #113 on: November 09, 2005, 12:13:28 PM

There is an unfinished thought in there somewhere after the word "perceived".  Damn work.  I expect my thoughts can be deciphered without further brain-effort from me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #114 on: November 10, 2005, 08:42:01 AM

I assume after perceived is "lack of developer communication with the player."

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #115 on: November 10, 2005, 10:51:49 AM

I give up. All MMOG's and their developers can die. Bye MMOG world!

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #116 on: November 10, 2005, 11:01:12 AM

I give up. All MMOG's and their developers can die. Bye MMOG world!

There's always Second Life.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #117 on: November 10, 2005, 11:49:42 AM

I assume after perceived is "lack of developer communication with the player."

Yeah, that's it.  I think we know it is mostly a problem with perception on both sides.  An inlined feedback system (hopefully more sophisticated than an asinine poll) will give the developers more of a feeling that the datapoints relate to something approaching the actual playerbase rather than the fringe crackbabies on a forum.

In-game issue-management and feedback to players, I submit, will provide a better experience  than having to exit or alt-tab to read email, hoping the bunglefucks send you something more than an automated reply.  Hell, even if the response is automated, at least I don't have to leave the game in order to get pissed-off.  The trick, obviously, is to give some sort of feedback so that the complainers feel like their whines are not simply being redirected to /dev/null.  Putting this mechanism inside the game can also help hide any automation implemented.  Should not be necessary to say that this will have to be implemented well.

Am I on crack, or am I reinventing shit?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  AGC '05  |  Topic: Day 1 - 3: Alcohol  
Jump to: