Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:04:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: CoV NDA Lifted 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CoV NDA Lifted  (Read 5905 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: October 14, 2005, 08:03:41 AM

Couldn't see it yet stated, so...

The City of Villains NDA has been lifted ahead of the Fileplanet subscriber stress test this weekend (like they could keep any secrets after that...)

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3863655&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#3863655

My short, short opinion:
Rushed out the door before they could even get the beta server stability up to scratch. I'll still buy it, but then I'm sad like that for CoH.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 08:06:21 AM

Yeah, I posted the same message on the PC boards, but it probably belongs here too:

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3863655&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#3863655

City of Villains NDA has been lifted. Now, everyone together:

"DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!"

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 08:13:43 AM

Discussion already in progress in the CoH forum, 'News' thread.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 08:14:53 AM

As I posted in the identical thread in the other forum:

Discussion already in progress in the CoH forum, 'News' thread.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 05:56:22 PM

Rushed out the door before they could even get the beta server stability up to scratch.
If it's the exact same thing of CoH, why it has server stability problems?

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 06:39:40 PM

They forgot how they made the first one.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 07:44:18 PM

So as not to cloud the news thread due to the enhancement nerf, let me just this of CoV.

Disappointing in the extreme.  Save your cash.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 09:05:48 PM

Rushed out the door before they could even get the beta server stability up to scratch.

I'm not great with this stuff, but there are a lot of new graphics shiney oooooo that weren't with CoH.  Ragdoll, for one.  Some perspective thing I can't remember the name of now but I can't see it anyways because my graphics card is apparently ALREADY OBSOLETE FUCK.  So there's that, and I believe the Masterminds bring a lot of lag that other CoH ATs didn't due to all the damn pets.  If any of that would have an impact- that's what did it.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 09:58:15 PM

I'm not great with this stuff, but there are a lot of new graphics shiney oooooo that weren't with CoH.  Ragdoll, for one.  Some perspective thing I can't remember the name of now but I can't see it anyways because my graphics card is apparently ALREADY OBSOLETE FUCK.  So there's that, and I believe the Masterminds bring a lot of lag that other CoH ATs didn't due to all the damn pets.  If any of that would have an impact- that's what did it.
That's all well and good except that the game is supposed to be released very soon now and they are still on an super short 2 hour a weekday server uptime schedule.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 07:21:39 AM

I'll counterpoint that with: If you like CoH, you'll enjoy CoV.

Over and out.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 10:16:21 AM

That's all well and good except that the game is supposed to be released very soon now and they are still on an super short 2 hour a weekday server uptime schedule.
Except for the part where they've been on 3-hour uptime for the past month, 4-hour uptime for the past week, and the servers are pitched as being 'always on' for this open beta stress-test weekend, this is completely true.

--GF
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 10:46:59 AM

The rag doll physics look stupid so far.  Everyone looks broken when they're defeated.  They fall down with their foot in their ear and their weapon up their butts.  I'm not sure it'll be better with a 'special' card, but it's certainly not worth the effort without it.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 11:44:43 AM

The rag doll physics look stupid so far.  Everyone looks broken when they're defeated. 

From what I recall of seeing dead/dying people fall thru the air, it's actually relatively accurate.  I love the ragdoll stuff, it makes knockback/knockup/knockdown powers much more amusing.

At least you no longer get the situations most MMOS have, where you kill a guy on a railing, and he falls down such that his toe is on the railing, and the rest of him is suspended in space.  In CoV(and in CoH soon, I'd guess), they actually fall off.

Alkiera

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 11:47:48 AM

It has stability problems because while the average CoH server might see 1500 simultaneous logins, the CoV beta server has had as many as 7000 people on it the last few days.  As one of the programmers noted on the beta boards, 'We keep fixing and cleaning up problems with the code to help lag, but the producers keep letting more people into beta'.

Alkiera

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 12:07:39 PM

I'll double secret counterpoint that with, "if you are using CoH like the cheap slut it is because you can get in and get out in 20, 40, or 60 minute chunks, you'll somewhat like CoV better because it has some differences, but you'll also think the CoV is an even bigger slut because it has many shocking similarites".

That said, I think Corrupters are better Blasters then Defenders and Brutes are better Scrappers then Tanks.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 02:03:51 PM

That is one nice thing, not having people collapse and be stuck in mid air.  I'm a stalker and I don't actually send people flying thru the air much.  It bothers me that they are so broken when I defeat them.  They say it's being worked on so maybe the look will improve.  But if it doesn't, was it really worth the time and effort?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 09:04:26 AM

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 09:13:37 AM

I admit, that is a problem.  For whatever reason, weapons don't seem to be involved in the skeleton stuff, so it allows the weapon to pass thru the body.

Alkiera

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 09:39:36 AM

It is sort of funny, though.  I might like it better if it keeps me amused.

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 10:07:03 AM

It is sort of funny, though.  I might like it better if it keeps me amused.
It's funnier when it's a sword wielder, like one of the Warriors or something, and they run themselves thru.

How you run yourself thru with a baseball bat, I do not know.  Sounds painful, tho.

Alkiera

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 10:34:31 AM

"Why use a baseball bat?"

"Because it hurts more."

Over and out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 11:27:39 AM

Having played about 1 1/2 hours at work, as a Natural Mastermind with Ninjas and archery, I'm not feeling it yet. It actually feels really slow, which may be because I'm used to playing as a scrapper or becaue I haven't gotten many attack powers yet. The ninjas are cool and all, but I'm not feeling the gosh wow that I did with CoH. It also runs like shit on my computer at work because I'm using a Radeon 9500.

Fargull
Contributor

Reply #22 on: October 21, 2005, 11:51:32 AM

Haem, if you like mellee, try a brute.  Nothing says smashy smashy like the brute.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #23 on: October 21, 2005, 01:51:24 PM

Masterminds are kinda slow and, yes I'll say it, even a little boring for the first 5 levels.  At level 6 you get your second minion and it gets more interesting.  At least, it did for me.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 21, 2005, 02:45:19 PM

My friend loves pet classes, he's in the beta now and he's playing the MM and liking it alot... but he does get unnatural joy out of making his pets taunt me.  He also doesn't seem to mind so much that it's alittle slower, because he jacks up the mission difficulty with no problem (my corrupters have to keep the slider pretty low).

I'm guessing you aren't as focused on leveling, but more on how fast combat plays out though, so that might not help you much.

I rolled a super strength/energy brute that is just a beast, if you like the melee/scrapper type I recommend that.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: CoV NDA Lifted  
Jump to: