Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:43:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: You smokers fuckin' disgust me 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: You smokers fuckin' disgust me  (Read 19434 times)
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

on: October 06, 2005, 06:45:23 AM

I need to vent here.

So, I've just bought a house.
Neither the wife or me are great DIY-people, so we bought a house that was basically ready to move into. It just needed a good cleaning and some fresh paint. Turns out the two people we bought it from were smokers and had smoked it up in that house for 20 years.
Fucking filthy nasty disgiusting cockmunchin' habit. The walls and ceiling was goddammed yellow. I washed the fucking ceiling in the kitchen three times and the water turned a filthy blackish yellow.
Dripping bicotine laced water into youir eyes? Don't. you'll wish you'd just spilled acid in your eyes instead.
It took me and my father inlaw a week of 12 hour days to turn this small house into something fit to live in.

Now we just have one day to pack up the old apartment before the movers arrive. Which should be enough if it wasn't for the fact that my youngest daughter (and my wife with her) just got admitted to the hospital for bloodtests and whatnot because she's ill and nobody can tell what's the matter. Now I can't blame that on the smokers of the world... but I wish I could, I need someone to hate for this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 07:04:14 AM

Caveat emptor?  Do not blame us second class citizens for your stupidity.  Any inspector would have been able to catch the flaw in your new home before you bought it.  Sounds to me like you are upset due to family issues and want to take it out on me and my little friend.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 07:07:44 AM

Shit Hanzii, hope your wife and daughter are OK.  Make sure you mention the house and your washing of it if you haven't already, they might be more sensitive to nicotine than the rest of your family.  (And even if they weren't there, there's still the clothes you washed the place in that you took home.)

As to your walls and ceiling.  Did you wash them with just soap & water, or did you use something else?  Nicotine is nasty stuff and doesn't go away easily after it's stained.  I've known people to do a double coat of paint and the yellow still seeps through. Do it yourself's site has a good advice on cleaning and painting.

I hope everything works out good for you.

Cheddar - no need to be a dick.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 07:17:17 AM

Cheddar - no need to be a dick.

Rofl

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 07:29:25 AM

Try using TSP (Tri-sodium Phosphate) on the walls and ceilings. Makes cleaning up after smokers much easier.

Bathrooms with the gloss paint are the most disguisting.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 07:40:16 AM

I hope the family is better soon, Hanzii.  Good luck with the new house, too.  I gave up smoking 6 months ago and haven't cheated once.  I still crave them all the time... it's the hardest thing to give up... ever.  Every so often,  I still find places in our flat that were affected by smoking.  I guess the bright side is that as much of it used to end up in my lungs as in my carpets (which, at least, can be professionally cleaned).

Anyway... don't be too harsh on Cheddar... I think he's trying to give up smoking!  Not everyone can maintain their sweet nature when they're attempting to break a nicotine addiction, like me.   smiley

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 08:06:08 AM

What disgusts me most about so many smokers is not that they smoke.

It's that they feel free to toss the butts anywhere.  Pretty much the ultimate proof of arrested development.  I can drive down the road and see no litter except the thousands of butts everywhere.  They cause no end of grass fires that my tax dollars pay to cope with.

I took my family up to a park for family pictures.  The prettiest setting was a ornate Victorian-style bench surrounded by gorgeous trees and blooming flowers.  But the smelly carpet of butts around the bench literally raised by gorge.

There's something tacky/juvenile about addicted smokers.  I can't tell the fourteen from the forty year olds.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 08:29:25 AM

There's something tacky/juvenile about addicted smokers.  I can't tell the fourteen from the forty year olds.

Dangerous ground.  Posters on f13 are in no position to speak against addictions  cool

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 08:36:57 AM

It's that they feel free to toss the butts anywhere.  Pretty much the ultimate proof of arrested development.  I can drive down the road and see no litter except the thousands of butts everywhere. 

Or my pet peeve... memo to smokers:  even though the entire beach is made of sand, it is NOT your fucking personal ash tray!

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 08:45:40 AM

It's that they feel free to toss the butts anywhere.  Pretty much the ultimate proof of arrested development.  I can drive down the road and see no litter except the thousands of butts everywhere. 

Or my pet peeve... memo to smokers:  even though the entire beach is made of sand, it is NOT your fucking personal ash tray!

Your FACE is my fucking ashtray, scrotum breath!

oops... sorry.  Sometimes I forget I don't smoke anymore.  I absolutely agree with you.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 08:51:41 AM

My wife is an ex-smoker (recovering smoker?  I've caught her sneaking a butt once in a while...like alcoholism, do you ever really get over it?)  but a lot of her friends still smoke.  It makes me cranky when they litter all over my lawn but it really grinds my gears when I catch one doing something like stubbing out a smoke on my friggin' house.  Spots on my porch now need re-painting from that; thanks, idjits.

Regarding cleaning, my mother-in-law smoked indoors for decades.  It never showed on the walls (thanks, ugly wood paneling for being useful for *something*) but the ceiling.....

All I can say is, at least it wasn't cats.  The only solution for a house that's turned into cat-piss-hell is to tear out the flooring and possibly the sheetrock at the bottom of the walls and start over.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 09:33:15 AM

Dangerous ground.  Posters on f13 are in no position to speak against addictions  cool

Heh I'll cop to that.  But my addiction is safely isolated in a dim corner of my house where even that cat fears to tread.
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 10:01:26 AM

All I can say is, at least it wasn't cats.  The only solution for a house that's turned into cat-piss-hell is to tear out the flooring and possibly the sheetrock at the bottom of the walls and start over.

Ha!  Amen, brother.

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 10:07:21 AM

You all fuckin' disgust me

Fixed for impartiality and realism. I personally don't care if you smoke or not, you're all cunts.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 10:15:45 AM

Signe are you going to stand for that!!

voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 10:34:27 AM

Okay, first of all, it is not nicotine that stains, it's the tar from the smoke. Second of all, not all smokers do so indoors. Thirdly, go to France sometime and quit being a pussy. And some smokers, like myself, are actually conscientious of other humans - I never litter butts (I can count the times on one hand that I've done it in the last ten years), and if I'm sitting outside at a cafe or bus stop I ALWAYS ask the other person if they mind if I smoke. And then I stand/sit downwind of them. Smoking is bad for you, yes, but I'm so sick of us smokers being treated like second-class citizens. And by the way, active smokers are still healthier than sedentary non-smokers.

Use Simple Green to get the stains off your walls. It's non-toxic and biodegradable, smells kinda minty and can be diluted to extend the bottle. When I quit smoking a few years ago I had to spend a day cleaning the walls/curtains/furniture and it worked great. Also, if you're concerned about residual nasties in the air, you can get a decent HEPA filter for about $30. Your wife and kid might be sick from the cleaning products you used (indoor air pollution is the leading cause of asthma in Americans). Get a few houseplants. NASA has been conducting experiments on the air-purifying effects of several species for decades, with remarkable results. Good ones to start with: Boston fern, dragon-tree (Dracaena v. "Janet Craig"), peace lily (Spathyphyllum sp.) and golden pothos (that heart-shaped leaf plant with yellow spot on it). These are all very cheap and can be purchased at most grocery stores' floral depts. Good luck.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 10:42:38 AM

Do your wife and kid feel headachy and woozy, a little nauseous or having a hard time breathing while in the house, but feel better when they're outside? If so, it's called "sick building syndrome". I know it sounds like cheesy bullshit, but it's true. In the 1970s when the US was in an energy crisis, all new building were constructed to be air-tight to minimize heating/cooling costs. People started getting sick with these kind of symptoms that cleared up when they left the office. The American Lung Association has a whole page about it. Here's another page about indoor air quality that might be helpful.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 10:53:57 AM

Stuff

I agree with Voodoo.  I never litter butts on ground.  Ironically people always go "EwwwW" when I pull them out of my pocket or whatnot and deposit them into a trash receptacle.  Guess there is not winning.  My main point was why would you invest in something, but not do the proper thing, such as have a professional inspect it?  That just seems ignorant.  Good luck though, there is no hate in my heart.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 10:56:39 AM

I'm just waiting for one person to talk shit to my face.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 10:59:17 AM

I shouldnt comment, the go out my house window, my car window. I don't smoke inside. The lawn mower eats them like candy. I should get an ashtray for my car.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 10:59:52 AM

Whenever I ask someone if they mind if I smoke, they're always so taken aback at my consideration that they say "no, I don't mind" and then they fucking thank me for being decent enough to ask.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 11:01:26 AM

It took me ten years to quit smoking cigarettes, finally quit when I was too broke to buy more, and too hungover and pissed off at the world to be social enough to beg or borrow to get more.  Been clear of that habit for 23 years, mostly over the effects. When I was younger, I was never considerate of anybody else anyway, so I wasn't considerate of how my smoking hurt other people or the world around me.

Been cleaning out my mom's house the last few months, and I'm sure smoke residue is one of many things that give me rashes and coughs if I spend more than a day or so digging into closets.  Her death was pretty much suicide by cigarettes, kept smoking no matter what we or her doctors said, until she stroked out.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005, 11:02:48 AM

Whenever I ask someone if they mind if I smoke, they're always so taken aback at my consideration that they say "no, I don't mind" and then they fucking thank me for being decent enough to ask.

Those utter bastards! They should glare at you and get back to talking on their cellphones like everybody else.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #23 on: October 06, 2005, 11:03:51 AM

Been clear of that habit for 23 years, mostly over the effects.

Wow. You're old.  evil

I'll quit for good when I decide to become preggers.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 11:13:39 AM

Been clear of that habit for 23 years, mostly over the effects.

Wow. You're old.  evil

I'll quit for good when I decide to become preggers.

Good, because cigarettes can stunt the growth of your baby.  Here's proof:

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 11:18:44 AM

Hehee! Except that my mom smoked when she was pregnant with me and I was still nearly 9 pounds. And 3 weeks overdue. See? I was born to smoke! I never wanted to become a smoker, but the first drag I ever took (after living with two parents who smoked two packs a day EACH in our tiny apartment) I was hooked.

Sadly, I really enjoy smoking. I should move to China.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 11:32:50 AM

I was pretty much hooked as soon as I started, and spent most of my smoking life trying to quit.  Worst part of it was, I never actually liked cigarettes, unlike most of my other addictions and bad habits.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #27 on: October 06, 2005, 11:40:22 AM

I experimented with cigarettes briefly in high school, but quit cold turkey once I noticed that I was jonesing for nicotine more and more as time went on.  I still crave the damn things whenever someone lights up near me.   angry

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 11:42:49 AM

Individual smokers don't bother me.

Two of my best friends are smokers, I don't mind sitting in the smoking section of a restaurant and having them light up while I'm eating.  Doesn't bother me.  I, however, have never smoked.

But there's only so much one can take.  I can't go to coffee bars at night, even though my smoking friends love those fucking places.  But my eyes begin to sting after about 15 seconds hanging out within The Cloud.  And if the smoke is hurting my eyes, I'm not too enthused to be breathing it.

It's nice that you ask, voodoo, though personally if I'm sitting in a section that's available for smoking I feel I've forfeited any right to bitch when someone starts smoking.  But I guess most people have a greater sense of entitlement than me.

I remember one time my friend, girlfriend and I went to this pizza place we'd visited a bunch of times (since it was near our college and we all had a couple hours before the next class- in which we were all students).  Every single table had an ashtray on it.  The lady who ran the place would frequently smoke behind the counter.  It was very obviously a smoking-friendly place (but I wasn't bothered, because it was usually empty, so there was no Cloud).  So it was just us three and one lone guy sitting several tables over.  My friend lights a cigarette, and about two minutes later the guy comes up and asks him to put it out, because it's a restaurant and he's not allowed to smoke in restaurants.  My friend first points at the ashtray and says "Why is there one of these on every table, then?" and then points at the restaurant owner, who is sitting behind the counter and smoking, and says "You better tell her there's no smoking, too."

It's possible the guy was just that oblivious.  But I still reserve the right to make fun of someone for being that oblivious.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #29 on: October 06, 2005, 11:55:20 AM

I don't mind much if people smoke, especially in bars. Smoking is prohibited in my house, I don't like the smell in the furniture.

But to paint yourself as a 'normal' smoker, Lilly, is kind of a stretch. I know a lot more 'bad' smokers (butts on ground, ashes where they fly) than conscientious smokers, you are in the minority. A happy minority, but nonetheless you should understand from whence teh h8 stems.

Personally, I gave up after a few cigs. Got pinhole burns in a couple of my favorite OP shirts or something. It was easy, especially when you have pot to compare it to: there's no comparison imo.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #30 on: October 06, 2005, 12:09:01 PM

Oh, yes, I tolerate smoking just fine, but you are not lighting up in my house or in my car.  Either go in the back yard or in the garage.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Ralence
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 06, 2005, 12:26:21 PM

There's states that allow smoking in bars and restaurants still?  Been outlawed for a year here, unless you're at a casino, private club, or "cigar bar", which I've never actually seen in this state.

Lovely that we also live in the northeast, so you can huddle outside the entrance to the bar and smoke in a foot of snow.
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 06, 2005, 12:28:21 PM

What's up with the huge majority of car smokers just throwing butts out the window.

Inconsiderate a-holes. Normal littering is pretty well stigmatized in Texas. Most people would feel very uncomfortable throwing a food wrapper out of a car window. Littering is wrong and blight on all the shared spaces in a community.

But smokers...typically oblivious and destructive. I would like to see an enforcement drive with $150+ tickets for smokers who litter.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #33 on: October 06, 2005, 12:37:15 PM

It's not just smokers.

Hey, once it's out of the window, it's in the PAST, no longer exists...it's GONE!

I hate people.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #34 on: October 06, 2005, 12:38:16 PM

There's states that allow smoking in bars and restaurants still?  Been outlawed for a year here, unless you're at a casino, private club, or "cigar bar", which I've never actually seen in this state.

Lovely that we also live in the northeast, so you can huddle outside the entrance to the bar and smoke in a foot of snow.

It's still legal, state-wide, in Arizona.  They're working on changing that.  Some cities don't allow it.

But you know if Ireland already fell, there's really no hope that we'll resist it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: You smokers fuckin' disgust me  
Jump to: