Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:26:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173037 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14140 on: July 27, 2020, 03:14:01 PM

I've never played SF4, but when I play modpacks that are usually Skyblock I set the worldtype to Skylands instead. You get a lot of mostly empty dirt all over, instead of a tiny little island; this mostly just skips the first stage of grind where you're regrowing 1 tree over and over while composting the leaves into dirt until you have more than a 3x3 platform to stand on.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #14141 on: July 27, 2020, 06:23:51 PM

I've never played SF4, but when I play modpacks that are usually Skyblock I set the worldtype to Skylands instead. You get a lot of mostly empty dirt all over, instead of a tiny little island; this mostly just skips the first stage of grind where you're regrowing 1 tree over and over while composting the leaves into dirt until you have more than a 3x3 platform to stand on.

That's a good tip, I will see how hard it is to set the server to skylands. My 9 year old son is advanced in his gaming habits, but that initial grind just killed us. It does not help that I haven't really played packs like this before. I used to just normally screw around with a single mod, like buildcraft etc. I imagine I have even less experience automating than even Sky mentioned.

Another problem I think I have is that I feel like some of the mods just turn Minecraft into a job.

Anyone have any modpack recommendations that are more focused on adventure rather than crazy amounts of automation progression? Hosting a server is pretty easy for me so I am willing to experiment to find the sweet spot of work/adventure.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14142 on: July 27, 2020, 06:50:12 PM

Golf!

Get "The Golf Club 2019" on Steam and sign up for the upcoming f13 Golf Invitational (or whatever Schild will name the first tournament). It's asynchronous, which means you can play your 18 holes whenever you want, and it saves automatically between holes so you don't even have to do it all in one sitting.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14143 on: July 28, 2020, 04:22:05 AM

That's a good tip, I will see how hard it is to set the server to skylands. My 9 year old son is advanced in his gaming habits, but that initial grind just killed us. It does not help that I haven't really played packs like this before. I used to just normally screw around with a single mod, like buildcraft etc. I imagine I have even less experience automating than even Sky mentioned.

Another problem I think I have is that I feel like some of the mods just turn Minecraft into a job.

Anyone have any modpack recommendations that are more focused on adventure rather than crazy amounts of automation progression? Hosting a server is pretty easy for me so I am willing to experiment to find the sweet spot of work/adventure.
If you can't figure out the server settings, DM me on Discord this evening and I can pull up my server and walk you through it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14144 on: July 28, 2020, 06:36:51 AM

My last jaunt in minecraft was MC Eternal. It's a kitchen sink pack....a very large farmhouse sink or possibly olympic pool....but it also has a bunch of exploration stuff. There was another pack I enjoyed a bit more overall but the author is a sadomasochist and has rewritten a ton of recipes to be ridiculous (like...instead of a block of steel, we'll make it a nether star!). Anyway, a lot more combat in that one, the nether is pretty tough early on and it has boss mobs and dragons and whatnot.

But I hear you on the grind, almost every time I lose interest it's because something I want to do entails a ton of grinding up mods to get the machines I need to make one or two components. I like simple and OP (but oddly not creative mode, I do like to putter along working on stuff).
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14145 on: August 02, 2020, 04:15:56 PM

Finally getting deep in to Death Stranding. I love the Zen of just delivering shit. I fucking HATE having to act like an idiot, especially in Kojima's super controlling plots, and I hate a faux-open-world. I want to build a goddamn zipline over the mountains, and guess what, a snowstorm comes up right after I deal with the twins etc. If you open new parts of the world, let me futz around in everything already open without prejudice or constraint, mother fucker.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14146 on: August 20, 2020, 02:03:10 PM

We got lucky and got a new Switch at close to the normal retail price. So we're playing Animal Crossing and Breath of the Wild.

Animal Crossing has quickly proven annoying in the way it handles multiple players on the same machine (I know, old issue)--now there's some edgy feelings in the house about who created the first account and about who gets to have the fossils and the fruit and shit and progress the island. I get why they can't easily handle having two players with two controllers on the island at once, but it feels like you could do something like prorate island progression by the number of players who have houses on one island and have some daily spawns that are keyed to the login of each individual player.

Really enjoying the openness of Breath of the Wild. Saw a camp of goblins near the bridge after I left the plateau, went up a mountain, rolled a bomb down on them, boom. Fun. Great mix of things to do, real sense of hugeness.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14147 on: August 21, 2020, 05:30:06 AM

Animal Crossing has quickly proven annoying in the way it handles multiple players on the same machine (I know, old issue)--now there's some edgy feelings in the house about who created the first account and about who gets to have the fossils and the fruit and shit and progress the island. I get why they can't easily handle having two players with two controllers on the island at once, but it feels like you could do something like prorate island progression by the number of players who have houses on one island and have some daily spawns that are keyed to the login of each individual player.
Yea, they had a bunch of options available and seemed to have chosen the worst one. Time travel is a thing, so anyone who wants to "cheat" can easily do so; given that, there's no gameplay reason to limit islands to one per console. Beyond that, the fact that a number of options are exclusive to Player 1 is really stupid, as is the fact that you can't change who Player 1 is without deleting the whole island and restarting. As adults sharing a console who are willing to compromise with each other and split the loot, you can make things work but it's going to be annoying. Young kids? Forget about it. Allowing some kind of "parental controls" to evenly split the fossils and fruit would be cool, but I can't imagine Nintendo ever implementing anything remotely like that.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14148 on: August 21, 2020, 08:54:30 AM

Yeah, I'm sort of surprised that there was so much quarantine love for the game considering how badly it works for a household of people stuck together--it pretty much insists that only one person plays it or that everybody in the house pitches in to develop one character.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14149 on: August 21, 2020, 09:46:13 AM

We got around it by buying a third Switch. why so serious?

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #14150 on: August 21, 2020, 06:17:32 PM

We got around it by buying a third Switch. why so serious?

And that was exactly the intended result. Ohhhhh, I see.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14151 on: August 23, 2020, 07:34:02 PM

Played Wildermyth again for the first time in a while. It's very charming. Still needs something maybe before they announce it to be complete.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #14152 on: August 24, 2020, 09:30:43 PM

Just got done playing the Avengers game by square enix, kind of shocked no one is talking about it here.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14153 on: August 24, 2020, 09:52:26 PM

Cause it sucks?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14154 on: August 25, 2020, 08:36:26 AM

Doesn't look good to me, I have to say. But hey, I'll play it if that turns out to be wrong.

I can't believe Crusader Kings III lands in a week. Fingers crossed that for once they have a game that starts good at launch and then gets progressively great from there on.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14155 on: August 25, 2020, 09:16:16 AM

Based on what I played in the beta, I'd have a hard time buying it. If my kid wanted it, sure, but for me? No.

The visual clarity in the game is an absolute disaster. The Hulk level sucked. I just don't see where the hook is supposed to be, but it's not a positive sign if your game can't pull me through the tutorial.

Anyhow, back playing Factorio now that the 1.0 release is out. Perfect game for in between PoE leagues.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14156 on: August 25, 2020, 11:40:16 AM

The aesthetics of the Avengers models is pretty limp. Didn't license the MCU versions, and rather than pick a nicely stylized comic version, they went for the most generic game engine people and costuming possible. They could all be random NPCs in any rpg.

When the audience has expectations driven by so many years of iconic comics images, the MCU, and maybe most importantly Into the Spider-verse. I feel that set the bar for digital Marvel character design, and it's not even close to my personal taste...I've seen it many times because it's SO GOOD.

I was ready to preorder when I heard about the project, now it's firmly in 'when it's on sale' territory.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #14157 on: August 25, 2020, 12:19:07 PM

When the audience has expectations driven by so many years of iconic comics images, the MCU, and maybe most importantly Into the Spider-verse.

Yeah, it might be a cool game, but everything I've heard about it has been about the the business model (sounds like another "Content Delivery System" for DLC packs) and all of it has been bad, especially the whole "Spider-Man exclusive to the PS4 version" thing.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14158 on: August 25, 2020, 03:27:17 PM

Um, on New World, does it look visually and thematically like Greedfall? I haven't read up on it--did Amazon just buy Greedfall to improve it?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14159 on: August 25, 2020, 04:39:00 PM

Improve it? Doubt it. There is ZERO narrative in New World.

It's an almost-traditional MMORPG, with modern visuals and combat. I like it a lot. Gameplay is fine. What it needs is a lot more handcrafted content.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14160 on: August 25, 2020, 06:14:57 PM

But am I imagining the narrative and visual connection to Greedfall?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14161 on: August 26, 2020, 04:51:56 AM

The (fake) era is pretty much the same and the setting seems very similar for sure, but there is no local population in the island you explore in New World. It's supposed to be a place where a strange energy resides that possess humans and animals and twists them. The humanoid creatures you fight are all monstrified previous explorers. I haven't played Greedfall unfortunately so I can't say, but I was under the impression though that it revolves around the problematic themes of conquest and subjugation of the "new world".

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14162 on: August 26, 2020, 06:34:25 AM

I clicked one gameplay video and the narrator talked about how the early game was a typical mmo grind, but...

That's as far as I got. Waste of time.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14163 on: August 26, 2020, 11:41:48 AM

Yeah, Greedfall has an indigenous population--but there's also mysterious energy that is making things monstrous, the colonizers have art designs that definitely invoke Spanish conquistadors and West Europeans more generally, etc.   Anyway, if it's "typical MMO grind", yeah, I'm pretty well done with that kind of gameplay.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14164 on: August 26, 2020, 12:47:13 PM

I also didn't make it to the boat in Greedfall, I didn't realize this was based on that, so...strike 3 for me. Or 4, I lost count. Or the will to count.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #14165 on: August 26, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

For anyone who's thinking about CK 3 there's a sale here:
https://www.wingamestore.com/product/11677/Crusader-Kings-III-Royal-Edition/

I'm still on the fence about this game. Not about the game itself but I'm a bit miffed how they are leaving so many important bugs in CK 2. I'm a firm believer in voting with your wallet, but at the same time even with the bugs I enjoy CK 2 and CK 3 looks like a big improvement in terms of the things that I cared about in CK 3.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #14166 on: August 26, 2020, 03:45:34 PM

I clicked one gameplay video and the narrator talked about how the early game was a typical mmo grind, but...

That's as far as I got. Waste of time.

I didn't feel like that at all.   I have also read and watched a lot of video reviews of the game that are hyper critical about it.  Frankly on many of them I was left wondering if we played the same game.  I am not a Marvel comics fanboy by any means but I found the game quite fun.   That being said a poster here mentioned that the models were a bit underwhelming and I have to agree with that for a couple of the characters.   Captain America and Black Widow were the two that I thought were underwhelming in design.  Tony Stark, Bruce Banner and Thor were really good IMHO.  Going into the beta, I heard a lot of moaning and groaning over Kamala Kahn, personally she reminded me of a female Mr. Fantastic and I liked her gameplay.  She could be annoying in what we saw of the campaign but she was supposed to be a teenage girl also.  Truthfully I was much more bothered by Tony Stark shouting silly things almost constantly in battles.  The one criticism I did have of gameplay was that some of the characters (especially the Hulk) felt really slow and initially under powered.  It wasn't until significantly later in the hulk's skill tree that he was well... incredibly fun to play.  Sadly Black Widow never reached the fun stage for me, hands down she seemed like the hardest character to play.

I never felt like I was grinding though.  No killing thousands of bears to hear the orc king shout out your name for instance a la vanilla wow.  No holocron grinding of professions for badges  ala SWG.  I don't think that the person was lying though as I did get the impression that the missions we were being given was a fraction of the missions that were available.  Anyway I am looking forward to the game's release as I had a lot of fun in it. 

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14167 on: August 27, 2020, 04:47:10 AM

I thought Sky's comment was talking about New World, not Avengers?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14168 on: August 27, 2020, 06:35:29 AM

Played a little of New World preview last night. It's very pretty. The combat is actually surprisingly good. It reminds me of a more refined, action-y Age of Conan. Mechanically, it's one of the better MMOG's I've played.

The original setting was of conquistadors/colonists coming to a PVP-heavy New World, with very Eve-like/Rust style survival feeling. Somewhere along the way the more problematic aspects of that setting probably became apparent to an executive and they turned it into some weird, generic undead fantasy MMOG setting with conquistador dress up, and faction-based PVP with a switch. The content on the tutorial is about as bog standard PVE MMOG fare as you can get.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14169 on: August 27, 2020, 09:46:46 AM

I thought Sky's comment was talking about New World, not Avengers?
Yup.

edited to add: I thought the kid was Ms Marvel, whom I know nothing about, thinking it was basically young Cpt Marvel. But she's got Mr Fantastic powers? Ugh. He was always so lame, I always liked him as more of a  genius tinkerer than a crappy Plastic Man kinda dude.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 01:55:16 PM by Sky »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #14170 on: August 27, 2020, 02:40:01 PM

The avengers game looked boring just running in the background of a review. Reminds me a bit of the DC game where you endlessly punch the copy-pasted dudes.

40 hours in "Eye: Divine Cybermancy" which is basically a mix of French weirdness, 40k influences and an overgrown HL2 mod. I blame finding a youtube reviewer whose taste, or community, is into weird old games.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #14171 on: August 27, 2020, 09:38:47 PM

That game is amazing, loved it

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #14172 on: August 29, 2020, 08:11:56 AM

I've been playing and enjoying The Out Worlds.

It has a lot of issues, but it also does a lot of things pretty well too. I'm hopeful they will get better again with a sequel. Though I have my doubts if Obsidian will ever have the ability to create truly intagrated game narratives.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #14173 on: August 29, 2020, 06:01:07 PM

Eve Echoes /shame

Cut down version of spreadsheets in space, but I'm not hating it. At least the UI isn't the clusterfuck of Eve Online

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14174 on: August 31, 2020, 09:25:54 AM

"Finished" Factorio. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep going with this semi-organized, semi-chaos base or start again and try to put together something a bit cleaner. Early game is a bit of a slog though and construction can be a bit annoying until you can produce a sufficient bot network.

Started Children of Morta. It's OK. It's charming, but the gameplay isn't great, and it plays kind of bad on the Switch (audio errors, slow downs, etc). Still, it's fun to pick and play for anywhere from 10-30 mins.

Finished Ghost of Tsushima. Definitely worth playing. Solid B. The game can get a bit repetitive in the open world structure, but the story telling is top notch and the combat is fun. Also, the facial animations are really well done and the dialogue delivery is top notch.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: