Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173052 times)
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #14105 on: July 06, 2020, 11:30:04 AM

Everything after chapter 4 is literally called the “epilogue”.  But yeah, it is not the right label, it really is just chapter 5 or the finale.  I am used to it by now, but it still makes me chuckle.

Huh. I do not recall that being the case for the translation I played, but I may well have just forgotten. I basically just binge played through everything in the series one after another earlier this year and details are a bit fuzzy at this point. And yeah, that's... more than a bit misleading. There are entire other RPGs that take less time than that "epilogue"
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #14106 on: July 06, 2020, 03:58:40 PM

I can see why Persona 4 is easy to sink into. The core game-play of the dungeon diving is not immensely deep but it's very well presented. The writing does a lot with the short scenes provided and gives you a memorable experience, a reason to care about the characters and the current objective and a in-game reward. The pressure to keep moving forward keeps you thinking about how to best use your time without being crushing and there's always lots of objectives to work towards. Even the way the story will push you forward, or give you an objective deadline (generally fairly generous) or give you breathing spaces where you are free to do whatever takes your fancy is part of it.

The Persona's have a bit of the monster training and "collect them all" mechanic, but it's not that friendly (all the skills being obscure names, can only see fuse options with currently active persona) and is pretty expensive when I'm replacing them fairly rapidly. Also a little jarring that you awaken your soul's avatar and then trade him in pretty soon after.

Great game for home quarantine. Also a nice one after Spellforce which I finally forced myself to finish (with cheats) after realising that RPG/RTS hybrids really don't work, the game cheats and the gameplay is intensely tedious.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14107 on: July 07, 2020, 03:03:17 AM

Been playing a bit of Okami and just can't get into it, which is a shame as it's such a beautiful game.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14108 on: July 07, 2020, 06:20:29 AM

Still enjoying X-Com 2. Tried bringing the B-Team out for a moderate difficulty later mission, to get some more depth in the roster...one of the few positions I don't have a decent lower level replacement is my stealth ranger...and I immediately realized how much I leaned on her. Tried to play through several times and kept getting discovered and/or flanked and realized how much I use her for backup (I had always just thought of her as a scouting tool, but thinking about it she's also a total boss for ambushes and I've been using her as a flanker like crazy).

Gotta get back on the bass, haven't played in maybe 4-5 days and my callouses all shed a bit in the shower this morning :D I still visit the custom forge every few weeks and stock up. Current kick is Mars Volta (particularly Cicatriz ESP and Goliath).
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #14109 on: July 07, 2020, 07:58:24 AM

Played through Code Vein.  The story/dialogue is teen anime formula (but entirely skippable) and the visuals are incel fodder, but the gameplay scratches that Dark Souls itch better than anything else I've found.

Playing Hollow Knight now, what a beautiful game.

Why don't you try our other games?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14110 on: July 08, 2020, 09:07:10 AM

Everything after chapter 4 is literally called the “epilogue”.  But yeah, it is not the right label, it really is just chapter 5 or the finale.  I am used to it by now, but it still makes me chuckle.

Huh. I do not recall that being the case for the translation I played, but I may well have just forgotten. I basically just binge played through everything in the series one after another earlier this year and details are a bit fuzzy at this point. And yeah, that's... more than a bit misleading. There are entire other RPGs that take less time than that "epilogue"

I can see now that in the Detective Notebook, it is just called Final Chapter.  In the save game files, it is called Epilogue.  Whatever, I am now closing in on 16 hours for the end part.  And I can still count....3 or maybe even 4 major bad guys I have to get through.  Which probably means its 10.  And this is with zero fluff, virtually everything I am doing is necessary.  The narrative attention to detail in these games just blow my mind.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14111 on: July 10, 2020, 09:33:31 AM

Okay, finally finished Trails of Azure.  There were indeed many, many hours remaining, I lost track.  Oh, and I forgot to mention that both Zero and Azure are literally the first games I have ever played where the text was English, but the spoken language was Japanese.  Holy shit, I like that way better than the cheesy voice-overs.  I had no idea.  Anyway, I think these two are now possibly my two favorite JRPGs of all time, even better than the first trilogy (which probably has my favorite characters of all time).

Before starting Cold Steel 3, I had to go back and finish the epilogue for CS2.  The reason I did not do so previously is because of the sequencing that has it happening just after the events in Crossbell from Azure.  Glad I waited, because now that whole section in the CS2 epilogue makes sense (130 hours of backstory will do that).  And...….of course the epilogue back at the academy is many hours, so still got at least a whole dungeon to explore.  I expect I can start Cold Steel 3 tomorrow, but I have been saying the same thing to myself ever day for a week now.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14112 on: July 15, 2020, 10:59:10 AM

I am playing a lot of War Thunder. I started in 2013 of course, when it was new and shiny, but I got bored with just airplanes pretty quickly. 7 years later, it has 10 times more content, vehicles, it has tanks, it has boats, it has helicopters. It's wonderful, and basically three games in one. Also, I can play a quick "arcade" battle, which means there are aiming and spotting assists, or a realistic one, that forces you to look hard for targets and calculate hit trajectories with the help of nothing else than the sight notches.

Also playing 428 Shibuya Scramble, which is hard to describe. It's a Japanese visual novel, but it is told through actual photos instead of drawings, so there are actors instead of your traditional anime stuff, and it follows 5 characters during a single day with a very rigid timeline that progresses like in the show "24". The five stories progress parallel to each other so you can often only advance one of the five characters based on what you do with the others, because of course their very wacky stories are tightly intertwined. It's delightful.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:01:19 AM by Falconeer »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14113 on: July 17, 2020, 09:36:47 AM

Finally getting around to AC Odyssey on the PS4. I like it, despite feeling extremely similar to Origin, which I played to excess.

The one thing that has been driving me INSANE? The lack of motion aiming that was in Days Gone. I imagine we'll only ever see that in PS exclusives (does the xbox even have motion sense controllers?) but it's such an insanely good mechanism.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14114 on: July 17, 2020, 10:05:03 AM

Finally getting around to AC Odyssey on the PS4. I like it, despite feeling extremely similar to Origin, which I played to excess.

The one thing that has been driving me INSANE? The lack of motion aiming that was in Days Gone. I imagine we'll only ever see that in PS exclusives (does the xbox even have motion sense controllers?) but it's such an insanely good mechanism.

ACK!

Of all the crazy things you've said on this site..

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14115 on: July 17, 2020, 10:14:49 AM

I mean, motion aiming that actually works well and on a PS4 controller? I would be open to try it but I'd imagine something like that on such hardware being a messy gimmick that is basically unplayable. Is it really not?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14116 on: July 17, 2020, 10:45:33 AM

It does work. I didn't/don't use it in Days Gone* but I did/do in the Gravity Rush games where it's almost a necessity because of its six degrees of aerial movement freedom (a la Decent) making it hard to move and aim with just the thumbsticks.

* Waiting to play more on PS5 cause it's one of those jet-engine games on my PS4 Pro
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14117 on: July 17, 2020, 10:48:41 AM

This just makes me sad for you people that you cannot play Alyx.

Rasix

Reply #14118 on: July 17, 2020, 10:52:45 AM

Half Life games are barfy enough for me without being in VR. I don't care enough about VR to attempt to acclimate to it. The sense of nausea is nearly instant and just gets worse.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14119 on: July 17, 2020, 11:23:17 AM

Yeah, man. It works well. Not GREAT, but good enough to immediately and constantly miss it's lack. I had to tweak the aiming stuff (dead zone, locking, etc) to get it to feel like a good balance. It was very very rarely the primary aiming but was masterful for precision aiming. For instance, if a horde of zombies came up behind me, I'd wait until I had spun around and had my crosshair in the general vicinity of the enemies, but then after aiming, I'd lean on the motion aiming until I needed to make a large (20' maybe?) adjustment.

In AC:Odyssey, I have it set up for lockon targeting, and constantly having to mess with the thumbstick for headshots instead of just dipping the controller back for a second is a huge change.

Cyrrex, unless my career decides to evaporate next year (and honestly, it is a strong possibility unless county and local governments get some economic relief), I plan on building a 3070 (or w/e) based PC. Then I'll be watching the VR space like a hawk for a good entry point (more quality games of my vintage, likely Index 2 or w/e).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14120 on: July 17, 2020, 08:09:55 PM

I'm not sure about motion aiming, but I have never used anything but motion steering for Gran Turismo Sport on the PS4. The only trouble I ever have with it is when I haven't played for a little while and come back to it, forgetting that I steer with motion instead of the thumbsticks.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #14121 on: July 17, 2020, 08:21:12 PM

Gravity Rush straight up would be a much poorer gaming experience without motion aiming.  So much fun to be had there.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14122 on: July 20, 2020, 10:13:46 AM

Finished Dishonored 2, which took me a long time thanks to a stealthy, non-lethal approach and my completionist habits. I really enjoyed it; the level design and world building was great. My main annoyance was missing out an unlisted objective on the game's standout level. And somehow accidentally killing one person somewhere on the last level.
Rasix

Reply #14123 on: July 20, 2020, 10:42:48 AM

I'm enjoying Ghost of Tsushima. It's definitely a Sucker Punch game. Movement is pretty great, and I like the combat system even early on. I'm not great at it, but it feels really nice when you manage to do some perfect parries and take out an enemy in a quick sequence. I even managed to counter and one shot a mini boss.

Game is just beautiful, and as far as I can tell, my PS4 Pro isn't wilting under the load. I'm running it on the "framerate" option, and I have no complaints about the visuals.

Only gripe would be that there are some AI bugs (pathing, mobs kind of not doing anything, etc) that tend to pop up in larger enemy encampments and at least one collision bug that I've seen.

Solid recommend if you enjoyed Infamous or games like it.

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14124 on: July 20, 2020, 11:43:33 AM

Actually finished Kingdom Come and I'm glad those of you who liked it encouraged me to continue. Some of the quests are kind of buggy but there's some decent storytelling in there especially in the DLC. The protagonist has a slightly cliched plot arc but it felt pretty good. Cameo by Brian Blessed was pretty much "hi we paid money for Brian Blessed we hope you like him being very Brian Blessed". But I'd play the sequel if it gets made. There's actually some fantastic historical material in the five years or so after the game's time frame (basically Sigismund's military entanglements with Venice, Croatia and then Bosnia) that they could weave into the next game and then after that they could do the Hussite Wars. Lots of room to have the protagonist get more morally complicated and they wouldn't necessarily have to regress him to being a helpless doofus again--he might be able to kill Bohemian bandits with ease, but if he ended up entangled with Sigismund's campaigns around the Adriatic, he'd be fighting with some of the most skilled warriors in Western Europe and dealing with Italian rulers on the cusp of the Renaissance, and then eventually he'd be fighting the Ottomans if the character ended up in the Order of the Dragon.

Trying Old World again. It's improved some since the last time I played but it doesn't have the secret sauce that Crusader Kings does in terms of dynastic histories full of personality and unexpected twists.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #14125 on: July 20, 2020, 03:31:35 PM

I'm enjoying Ghost of Tsushima.

Yeah, I like it too. I was quick to call it Assassin's Creed: Japan, but after a few hours that feels disingenuous. I'm very much enjoying the quiet exploration that goes on for awhile, then quick bursts of frantic combat. The game is darn relaxing at times, and then in a moment can be very stressful. I love the fact there's no minimap, and the way they integrated navigation is just great. I'm concentrating on the environment and surroundings, less on the UI.

It's obvious the team put a lot of heart into the game.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #14126 on: July 20, 2020, 07:45:05 PM

I’m playing it In Kurosawa mode in Japanese. It’s fucking amazing, from the black and white and film grain to the compressed audio. It’s awesome.

Of course, if you don’t speak Japanese, the ambient dialogue is lost.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14127 on: July 21, 2020, 12:47:21 AM

Are some of you playing it on a non-Pro? 

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #14128 on: July 21, 2020, 08:02:35 AM

I'm sorry, I can't hear your question over the sound of my non-Pro's fan.

I've never played on a Pro so I can't compare graphics, but it plays great and I have no complaints. Except for the fan, which runs constantly. It's the only game that has taxed my PS4 like this.
Rasix

Reply #14129 on: July 21, 2020, 08:15:43 AM

Did you play God of War? That game made my Pro sound like it was auditioning to be a jet engine. I remember it being similar for Spider-Man.  I don't remembering choosing resolution vs framerate, however.

This game is tame in comparison, but I am running on the framerate setting.

-Rasix
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14130 on: July 21, 2020, 08:35:58 AM

What's the actual combat like in Ghost of Tsushima?  I've been finding a lot of 3rd person action games hit or miss because I'm not a fan of some of the recent trends in mechanics.
Rasix

Reply #14131 on: July 21, 2020, 08:58:38 AM

God of War/Arkham style combat with lower time to kill for both you and the enemy. It's pretty fluid. It's not too hard on Normal, but I do end up dying from time to time.

-Rasix
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #14132 on: July 22, 2020, 12:53:30 AM

Playing it on my pro with graphics set to high and it’s like a helicopter taking off.

Then again, it looks amazing and considering I’m playing with headphones so I don’t notice the noise, it’s fine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC0AiuWjoXO/?igshid=1673hci3z5jql

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #14133 on: July 25, 2020, 05:39:57 PM

Carrion is a lot of fun but damn it gets frustrating sometimes when you can't work out the next step.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14134 on: July 25, 2020, 06:40:48 PM

Trying Death Stranding again. I just cannot figure out whether I love it or hate it.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #14135 on: July 26, 2020, 05:49:09 AM

Son asked me to fire up another Minecraft server with Skyfactory 4 loaded. I just can't find the fun in this mod. There is too much. I can't keep up with it.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14136 on: July 26, 2020, 07:22:02 PM

Did you play God of War? That game made my Pro sound like it was auditioning to be a jet engine. I remember it being similar for Spider-Man.  I don't remembering choosing resolution vs framerate, however.

For some reason, God of War feels the menu is the most graphically intense, processor heavy part of the game. Why the hell the menu kicks the fan into high is beyond me.

After a very, very, stressful few weeks at work I took a few days off and started Red Dead Redemption 2. I never played the first one. After putting in...some time...I have learned that (1) I suck at Red Dead Redemption and (2) I am very happy to spend my time depopulating the wildlife. I realize I don't need to have unlocked all the camp and satchel upgrades before finishing Chapter 2, but that appears to be my goal...

I keep meaning to do stuff and then "Oh, beavers, I need a perfect pelt!". or "Hey, birds, let's find out what they are by blowing four of them out of the sky!"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14137 on: July 26, 2020, 11:08:49 PM

For some reason, God of War feels the menu is the most graphically intense, processor heavy part of the game. Why the hell the menu kicks the fan into high is beyond me.
Uncapped frame rates is usually the culprit.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14138 on: July 27, 2020, 02:39:54 AM

I think I've got a related issue on a wonky graphics card, which often leads to freezing and a restart in a lot of menus.

Finished Gris recently. It was atmospheric but I didn't find it that much fun. It was also at times a pretty awkward merger between being a minimalistic metroidvania and being streamlined.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14139 on: July 27, 2020, 11:40:17 AM

Son asked me to fire up another Minecraft server with Skyfactory 4 loaded. I just can't find the fun in this mod. There is too much. I can't keep up with it.
Have you done a skybox before? Is there a quest book?

The skyboxes I've played tend to have quest books to give you some direction or at least let you peruse the options available. Usually just seive, get a cobblegen and then work toward your favorite industrial mod. Apoc is the dude to talk to here, though. I'm horrendous at automation and tend to just find something new to do once the complexity level ramps up too much (which is why I go for HQM type modpacks with adventure mods to distract me).
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: